Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

12 vs 16 is such a gamble right now though. I'd say BF1/BFV were the first games that needed more than 8 threads. If they're coming, I don't think we will see games that need a minimum of 8 good cores for at least 2 years after the console releases. Most games are still going to be cross-gen for a good while.

My 6700k does 100fps+ on bfv, bottlenecked by 1080ti, did you mean more than four threads instead? Cos BFV was definitely the game that convinced quite a few people that 6600Ks etc wasn't going to cut the mustard anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Paul MaudDib posted:

5800X is an objectively bad buy.

100% agreed and if I'm on the same page with Paul you know it's bad.

Reminder that a 5700X will probably come out in another few months, once AMD has finished vacuuming up money from the :homebrew: over-hyped guys. If you don't need to get a CPU in the launch window, just wait for the better price/performance CPUs.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

based on the rate of growth in parallelism in games for the last 20 years, you will need an 8/16 CPU in roughly 2038.

(cant wait to have this quoted in like 7 years when everyone has 130 core ARM cpus implanted in their rear end hole)

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

My 6700k does 100fps+ on bfv, bottlenecked by 1080ti, did you mean more than four threads instead? Cos BFV was definitely the game that convinced quite a few people that 6600Ks etc wasn't going to cut the mustard anymore.

My data might be a bit off because I went from a 2500k to 2600k, and I still had frequent dips below <70, sometimes to ~40 on specific parts of certain maps, then to a 3600. BFV just ran a lot worse than BF1 in general. This was all on low settings.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Cygni posted:

(cant wait to have this quoted in like 7 years when everyone has 130 core ARM cpus implanted in their rear end hole)

At least AMD's "performance per inch" metric will be back in style, then.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Are you familiar with Ben Wa technology?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cygni posted:

the future of Apple Silicon

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FuturePastNow posted:

the future of Apple Silicone

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

that'd put a new spin to saying "no ring" to goatse pictures

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

kaschei posted:

Are you familiar with Ben Wa technology?

(Lools at current PC)

Balls.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

mdxi posted:

SIx months ago, when we thought Ryzen 4000 desktop APUs were about to happen I was stoked to rebuild my PC (which I mostly use for development, but it does also get used to play indie/older games on Steam).

In the interim, I pondered other possibilities, mostly revolving around a midrange Ryzen CPU with a low-power discrete GPU -- which at the moment would mean Nvidia, but could possibly include AMD once the RDNA2 cards are released.

But then we got my wife a new laptop, and settled on an Acer Nitro 5 (4600H, GTX 1650). We upgraded the RAM to 16G, put a 1TB SSD in the second M.2 slot, and t's been really great for her. I'm now thinking really hard about seeing what gaming-enabled laptops come out with the 5000 series mobile APUs, and using one of those as a desktop replacement.

I'm feeling the same way, my current ideal is if the top end 5000 apu has performance similar to a gtx970 and i can drop a graphics card or straight zen 3 in it later on if funds allow.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The last apu had performance worse than a 1030. I think your sights might be too high.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

shrike82 posted:

that'd put a new spin to saying "no ring" to goatse pictures

Intel will still be on 14nm and the goatman himself will be their last remaining customer, as he is the only man able to fit the 130 core PlugLake chip in his rear end.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I just want better perf than a 750ti. poo poo's bus powered, from over half a decade ago. IT WAS ON 28 NANOMETER. How are we not there yet for igps?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 24, 2020

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I received an Aorus master x570 in the mail today to replace my rickety 5-6 year old motherboard and holy poo poo. Motherboards are... a whole new thing now? I don't know what I was expecting, but my old motherboard is a piece of garbage compared to this thing. Hot drat.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
A lot of current boards are environmental disasters with way too much gimmicks and poo poo on them, not features wise but in terms of actual physical stuff. Some of those things look like toys. There's way too much of a push for radical looking hardware lately.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Yeah you mean like the giant um... shroud thing on the IO that wraps around?

One thing that was a total "thank god" moment was seeing that you don't have to attach the io plate anymore, it's just mounted in-box. Definitely one of those things where you wonder why it wasn't always like that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've been burned by enough lovely I/O shields that I want my next motherboard to be one of those dealios where the whole I/O section is just a box that slots right into the back of the case.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The best part about upgrading a motherboard in the good old days was getting everything screwed in and then realizing you didn't swap out the IO plates.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I just want better perf than a 750ti. poo poo's bus powered, from over half a decade ago. IT WAS ON 28 NANOMETER. How are we not there yet for igps?

I'm not sure igp performance has much room to grow until more memory bandwidth is available via DDR5. Unless they start putting cache on the package like Iris Pro.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Taima posted:

Yeah you mean like the giant um... shroud thing on the IO that wraps around?

One thing that was a total "thank god" moment was seeing that you don't have to attach the io plate anymore, it's just mounted in-box. Definitely one of those things where you wonder why it wasn't always like that.

Cojawfee posted:

The best part about upgrading a motherboard in the good old days was getting everything screwed in and then realizing you didn't swap out the IO plates.

I loved the feeling of slamming out the old I/O shield with the butt of a screwdriver handle after removing a mobo. Do it right and it doesn't bend or deform, just pops out into the interior of an empty case.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

No the best was when you realize you forgot to bend back some random tab that some rear end in a top hat put on the shield for some reason and now you have a piece of metal blocking your Ethernet port and now you start debating whether it's worth taking put the whole thing, trying to bend/break/snip the tab from outside the case, or just using a spare NIC you have laying around

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

WhyteRyce posted:

No the best was when you realize you forgot to bend back some random tab that some rear end in a top hat put on the shield for some reason and now you have a piece of metal blocking your Ethernet port and now you start debating whether it's worth taking put the whole thing, trying to bend/break/snip the tab from outside the case, or just using a spare NIC you have laying around

one of my usb slots is like this and i dont know why those loving metal tabs exist

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Or realizing the plate you have is for a different motherboard and doesn't fit at all.

I ended up with a couple machines whose "IO plate" ended up being judiciously-applied tape.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Verviticus posted:

one of my usb slots is like this and i dont know why those loving metal tabs exist
Sometimes they use the same IO shield for multiple versions of a motherboard. You leave the tabs in place if you don't have a particular port.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'll be interested to see how well the 5000 series hits it's stated max boost. My 3600 tops out at 3.9Ghz under load.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Verviticus posted:

Nobody likes them, but they're for grounding purposes

I prefer the IO shields that have a foam layer and some kind of presumably conductive tape on.. They should all be made that way.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FuturePastNow posted:

I'm not sure igp performance has much room to grow until more memory bandwidth is available via DDR5. Unless they start putting cache on the package like Iris Pro.

Bring back Dual Graphics so you can Crossfire your 3400G with your 5500XT

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

HalloKitty posted:

Nobody likes them, but they're for grounding purposes

I prefer the IO shields that have a foam layer and some kind of presumably conductive tape on.. They should all be made that way.

I vastly prefer the ones that slice my fingers open when installing them

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

OhFunny posted:

I'll be interested to see how well the 5000 series hits it's stated max boost. My 3600 tops out at 3.9Ghz under load.

The advertised boost is only for single-core on both intel and AMD. My 3600 regularly hits 4200 briefly on a few of its cores in lightly threaded games, but only boosts to ~3900 under heavy all-core loads, just like yours.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
my 3900x hits at most about 4450mhz for a fraction of a second, generally between 4-4.2Ghz

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FuturePastNow posted:

Wonder of wonders, guess what AMD owns a patent specifically allowing for in their multi-chip design?

I can't be too mad. It was finally this year that a Ryzen igp came out that had better performance than then MX150. And then Nvidia immediately turned around and came out with the MX250, but it's a start!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Taima posted:

I received an Aorus master x570 in the mail today to replace my rickety 5-6 year old motherboard and holy poo poo. Motherboards are... a whole new thing now? I don't know what I was expecting, but my old motherboard is a piece of garbage compared to this thing. Hot drat.

That’s all VRM cooling for MAXIMUM OVERCLOCKING. A more “normal” x570 board is just going to have some generic looking passive heat sinks there and still have a traditional IO shield.

The main PCIE 16x slots all do have weird “armor” now though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

redeyes posted:

my 3900x hits at most about 4450mhz for a fraction of a second, generally between 4-4.2Ghz

Mine ended up doing about 4.1 all core on air, then swapping to water put that up to 4.3 and about 4.575 single core.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Wonder of wonders, guess what AMD owns a patent specifically allowing for in their multi-chip design?

I can't be too mad. It was finally this year that a Ryzen igp came out that had better performance than then MX150. And then Nvidia immediately turned around and came out with the MX250, but it's a start!

Aren't the MX150-350 all the same warmed over silicon?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

The main PCIE 16x slots all do have weird “armor” now though.

That's because graphics cards have gotten too beefy for mere plastic x16 slots.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

ijyt posted:

nForce (:allears:)

I had one on my Pentium D 805...I guess 13 year old me thought I'd SLI eventually ha

god that chipset loving sucked for intel

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
https://twitter.com/davideneco25320/status/1320027373027397632

lol

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

NewFatMike posted:

Aren't the MX150-350 all the same warmed over silicon?

Are they all Pascal bits in various core and wattage configurations on newer processes? Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Lmao that's much worse than I thought.