Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TangoFox posted:

@fknlo: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/577677100

finally somewhere worth going. I'm applying for this one since it looks like they're looking for numerous applicants.

Thanks! I don't really check usajobs often enough these days. I'll apply for that but the odds of me actually getting picked up aren't good because they won't be able to get a deviation to get me. I've been told I was the number 1 choice on several TMC bids but they can't ever actually get me. I'll obviously still apply though. The ATM makes the final pick there which is good for me since I don't exactly have a great history with the TMO but I do with the ATM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
You're telling me... I have been sitting here with 20 bids out there since January and haven't gotten picked up anywhere.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Guess one of the controllers in my area is going to ZLA. Last day is Sep 16. NGL I'm kind of surprised they're allowing transfers during all of this.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
DFW has picked up 7 this year that "arrived" and went straight to sitting at home.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Yeah... My brother in law is trying to get out of Indy center and is getting frustrated by everything being essentially frozen.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

We got a new controller apparently and I like his style. Really drawls everything out like a cowboy and he makes an effort to do nice stuff like tell you the winds every time you land. I hope we keep him

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
They even had another NCEPT panel a month or two ago which I thought was surprising. Where I want to go will never be able to pick anyone up under the current rules with the current suspension of training and the massive backlog that's going to create. Their trainee percentage is probably climbing if you factor in retirees and anyone that might get there from the academy.

TangoFox posted:

You're telling me... I have been sitting here with 20 bids out there since January and haven't gotten picked up anywhere.

I'm 99% sure I got picked up on the supervisor bid that I did because I asked an OM what needed to be in a 2 week notice. He had quit the agency before so I thought he was a good person to ask. He pulled me aside later that day and told me not to do anything rash and that he was going to try and help me out.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
andd thennnn?

It's crazy how slow our HR is. It's impressively bad.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
So there's a "Resumption of Training Plan" from national now. Per our rep: "We are starting to plan for some OJT to begin but it will not include everyone to start. NATCA and the Agency have determined this will only involve the partially certified people on a crew right now."

I'm interested to see how they try and resume training with our facility still on 5/5.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

its all nice on rice posted:

So there's a "Resumption of Training Plan" from national now. Per our rep: "We are starting to plan for some OJT to begin but it will not include everyone to start. NATCA and the Agency have determined this will only involve the partially certified people on a crew right now."

I'm interested to see how they try and resume training with our facility still on 5/5.

You'll lose 5/5 once they try to train everyone. I don't see how there's any way around it. I don't think we actually have the staffing to train even though we're back on normal schedules.

TangoFox posted:

It's crazy how slow our HR is. It's impressively bad.

Not having any idea of the actual status of any bids is super fun too. Know someone like the facrep at the facility you're bidding at and think they'll know? :wrong:

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

its all nice on rice posted:

We're doing it on 5/10.

Get.

some.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Our janitorial staff dumped our entire refrigerator worth of lunch boxes and such in the trash without discussion or warning.

So I had to eat out of the garbage.

2020, am I right?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I guess one of my fellow trainees is transferring to ZMP. Not sure how long he's been trying to transfer, but he was just about half way through his first two sectors on R-Side before the whole COVID thing. He's from the UP in Michigan, so I wonder if it's a hardship for a family member or something. Either way, he's good and sure to make it through.
That makes three people lost in our area during all of this, AFAIK: one retirement; two transfers.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm not ATC but this thread is interesting. What does 5/5, 5/10 etc. mean?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Working for 5 days and then having 5 days off. Working for 5 days and then having 10 days off.

All at full pay, obviously.

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd

RCarr posted:

Working for 5 days and then having 5 days off. Working for 5 days and then having 10 days off.

All at full pay, obviously.

That is a pretty crazy timeframe, but... I kinda want it, sounds like a great way to work really.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Balsa posted:

That is a pretty crazy timeframe, but... I kinda want it, sounds like a great way to work really.

I mean I couldn’t think of anything better, besides just being paid to never work. You essentially get a week of paid vacation after every week you work.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I had the mid last night. I didn’t know this until I was woken up by a phone call around 11.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

RCarr posted:

I mean I couldn’t think of anything better, besides just being paid to never work. You essentially get a week of paid vacation after every week you work.

Yet people still bitch and moan about it for some reason.

Crunch the numbers to see how much free leave you're really getting.

Under normal circumstances you're working 5/7 of the time.

So... What would you like to be paid in full to do...

Work 71% of the days of the year
Work 50% of the days of the year
Work 33% of the days of the year

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

fknlo posted:

I had the mid last night. I didn’t know this until I was woken up by a phone call around 11.

I showed up for mid the other night and Arts says I'm off and someone else has the mid.

Our schedules are routinely hosed up because our boss will make changes to Arts and not WMT.

Keeping in mind the only scheduling system you can access from home to double check your shifts, request leave on, etc is WMTscheduler you'd think it would be the one you'd want to make sure is always correct and Arts should reflect it. But you'd be wrong.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Krime posted:

Yet people still bitch and moan about it for some reason.
I cannot understand at all why it’s a 10 or 15 day rotation and not a 14 day one, which would both line up with pay periods and have peoples' work days stay the same week to week.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I cannot understand at all why it’s a 10 or 15 day rotation and not a 14 day one, which would both line up with pay periods and have peoples' work days stay the same week to week.

What's a work week look like?

5 on 9 off?

I don't think it would be fair to ask 7 on 7 off.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

For those of us not at the top of the seniority list, shut the gently caress up, this is the first time I’ve had even some weekends off since 2011.

:v:

Its a 15 day rotation because we use three separate crews, and it allows a 14 day isolation period if we need to quarantine a crew. (We’ve done it a couple times now.)

That said, I think ZLA and ZMA are the last two facilities on 5/10.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I suppose it is tough to divide 14 by 3.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
NavCanada laid off 14 percent of their staff yesterday (including myself). All the trainees and several managers are out.

And they're closing 2 of the 7 FICs, Winnipeg and Halifax.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

St_Ides posted:

NavCanada laid off 14 percent of their staff yesterday (including myself). All the trainees and several managers are out.

:(

Sucks, dude, I’ve been there. If you ever make it down Miami way, beers are on me.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

St_Ides posted:

That sucks man. How likely is it that the layoffs are permanent?

Come on NATCA, let's privatize this poo poo!!! I'm actually more disillusioned with the union than I've ever been due to the poo poo that has gone on locally. I don't think I'd be staying in even if I wasn't becoming a worthless supervisor in a couple months. I'm super pro union but god drat the local is worthless.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

fknlo posted:

That sucks man. How likely is it that the layoffs are permanent?

I only know stuff about the training I was in, but it can't be permanent. They were already understaffed at my center for everything except Oceanic. High level and low level both had quite a few early retirements, and they needed significantly more people than were in the training pipeline with me. Unless they somehow manage to convince a bunch of people to move here from Halifax and/or Winnipeg, which is unlikely because nobody wants to move to Newfoundland.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I have a question about STAR's I was hoping someone could shed some light on.

Going into SEA from the east, we usually file via the GLASR 1 arrival, which has exactly one crossing restriction (JAKSN @12,000/250kt) when the airport is doing south flow.

For the last few months, I've noticed that instead of just clearing us to "descend via" the arrival, the controller tells us to "cross JAKSN at and maintain 12,000, 250kts", which is the exact same thing as the STAR, but with more words.

It doesn't seem to be specific to our airplane/airline, so all I can figure is that it's somehow tied to the lack of traffic from the pandemic, but I'm confused as to exactly why the controllers are seemingly giving themselves more work instead of just having us descend via the arrival.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

azflyboy posted:

Going into SEA from the east, we usually file via the GLASR 1 arrival, which has exactly one crossing restriction (JAKSN @12,000/250kt) when the airport is doing south flow.

For the last few months, I've noticed that instead of just clearing us to "descend via" the arrival, the controller tells us to "cross JAKSN at and maintain 12,000, 250kts", which is the exact same thing as the STAR, but with more words.

It doesn't seem to be specific to our airplane/airline, so all I can figure is that it's somehow tied to the lack of traffic from the pandemic, but I'm confused as to exactly why the controllers are seemingly giving themselves more work instead of just having us descend via the arrival.

Maybe enough people have been loving it up by looking at the altitude for the wrong note wrt. North vs. South flow, or the other 2 airports it serves?

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

azflyboy posted:

As vessbot said, my guess is they had enough people make a mistake that some higher up put out an R&I saying, "Ensure that each aircraft explicitly receives the appropriate crossing restriction at JASKN" or the like. Every facility has some procedure that seems like it should be easy, but for some reason gets screwed up often enough that you have to do things manually to account for it.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Thanks for the explanation. Since most of the traffic I hear going into Seattle over the last few months are crews that probably know the area fairly well, I hadn't actually heard anyone mess up the restrictions, but I can absolutely see that the chart makes it easy to accidentally try and follow the wrong profile.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
The GLASR also isn't an RNAV/OPD STAR which I bet is a reason you aren't given descend via. I worked at a different area in Seattle Center but if we had anybody who couldn't accept the RNAV STAR we would put them on a conventional STAR and just issue a crossing restriction. I'm not sure if other places do this differently, but I've never heard a descend via issued on an non-RNAV STAR :shrug:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

azflyboy posted:

Each controller has a different method for this one. Usually it comes down to who their trainer was. It's been a while since I was given an actual explanation for it, though. I've heard people say "approach is going to take them off the arrival anyway" several times. "Give the crossing restriction and flash 'em early." As Zochness stated, it's also a non-RNAV star, and controllers in my area like to argue over whether or not you can say "descend via" or not.
It's the same for the CHINS4 coming from the SE over Yakima.
It also helps on the rare occasion we get a military pilot going in on the GLASR. They never fly the GLASR, and aren't used to its restrictions. A C-17 confused about where JAKSN is and what to do there is annoying, especially when we're metering.
Keep in mind I'm a trainee, though, and haven't worked in months.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Thanks for all the replies.

I'd been wondering about it for a couple of weeks since another pilot pointed it out to me, so it all makes more sense now.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 28, 2020

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Is there a website to track airplane flight patterns over an area?

Like a heat map style "this many airplanes fly over this area" type thing?

I don't need it to be live, I just want to see generally where they fly, over a specific area.

I want to look at cities and see where planes fly over residential areas.

I'm aware of flightradar24, but that's not exactly what I'm looking for.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is there a website to track airplane flight patterns over an area?

Like a heat map style "this many airplanes fly over this area" type thing?

I don't need it to be live, I just want to see generally where they fly, over a specific area.

I want to look at cities and see where planes fly over residential areas.

I'm aware of flightradar24, but that's not exactly what I'm looking for.

Not that I'm aware of, but that sounds like a neat idea. When my brother moved to the west side of Minneapolis he asked me how air traffic was going to be for them so I compared his address to the SIDS/STARS on my airline EFB. Given a known location, it's not too tough to see what the deal is.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
ZKC coming in with multiple positives and people quarantining because of close contact. Perfect timing for them to go back to normal staffing in a couple weeks.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
We're still on 5/5 and they're bringing trainees back. They've "tested" it with a few trainees already, and have a plan that was approved by national.
Each shift has "enough" staffing and an allowance for one R-side and one D-side trainee. Trainees will come back two at a time for classroom study and sims to spool up for a return to the floor and training. After they are deemed ready to return to the floor, they'll be assigned to one of the 5/5 shifts. As trainees get signed off, more trainees will be called in.
Based on the last zoom meeting, there is not yet a well defined rhyme or reason behind the order in which they call trainees in.
The training department is saying we should only be waiting a few weeks before getting called in, a month or so at most.
I'm clearly missing something, because it takes more than a couple of weeks or a month to get fully signed off, even on your D-sides. A recent NATCA email also stated that they reached an agreement to set training at 50% capacity, and I'm not sure if the current training plan takes that into account.

I get that we need to continue training, but when a third COVID wave is impending, and you're on a non-standard schedule, how do you expecting to get any sort of consistent or (god forbid) quality training in? How does bringing us back make any sense?

I wholly understand that the training department is doing whatever they can to help us. They're working with what they have. This just feels like pressure from above to get asses in chairs, with the staffing shortage playing a not insignificant role.
Some people will say "that's the FAA!" or "that's the government for you!" but I've worked for private industry and been an embedded contractor. Both the public and private sector do stupid poo poo that makes almost no sense.

They've acknowledged that ordering us to study from home and assigning zoom conferences only goes so far, and it's not nearly as effective as even being in a classroom. It's been seven months since we got sent home (I'm not counting the two days we got called in for a recert and minimum hours before the 120 days were up. We were told to "avoid traffic," and it was clearly a nod and wink situation). We may as well be treated like new hires or controllers who came back after quitting a year ago.

I can at least acknowledge, and appreciate, that I'm still employed and being paid. Were this the private sector, I'd have been laid off long ago. If only I could medicate my anxiety, I might feel a bit better about all this (gently caress you, FAA, medical, and your antiquated approach to mental health, among other things).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I mean worst case scenario, there’s not an FAA TRB in the galaxy that wouldn’t reset training hours because of all this.