Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

CPL593H posted:

Anyone remember that brief moment in history when LPs came with a CD copy of the album?

That would be cool. I'm just hoping more albums come with codes to download them. That's a thing I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Spanish Manlove posted:

That would be cool. I'm just hoping more albums come with codes to download them. That's a thing I like.

This I would also like. Was a little miffed that there wasn't a download code in the copy of Motorhead's Overkill I just bought brand new, when according to the Discogs entry for it there should have been. Probably one of those that only some with this runout got download codes blah de blah blah and no one cares enough to make the entry change. At least if you buy vinyl off of Bandcamp you usually get the digital download with it which is cool. Buy more Bandcamp albums I guess?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

Anyone remember that brief moment in history when LPs came with a CD copy of the album?

Still got my Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter disc awkwardly sitting on the shelf in a clear plastic sleeve.

Schnitzel includes a CD with some of the Ween releases I’ve gotten.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Ballz posted:

VMP recently jacked up prices on just about everything a few months ago, so this new "sale" for the most part is just bringing prices back to what they used to normally be. The non-member $39 sale price ($32 for members) of Return to Cookie Mountain is a complete joke and you can find the same edition for much cheaper elsewhere.

Having said that, there are a handful of titles in the sale that are decently priced. There aren't any super amazing steals but something like Jorge Ben for $20 or Moses Sumney for $17 are worth a pickup.

Yeah. I snagged that Jorge Ben because 1. Amazing album. 2. Price is on par with other places. VMP pressings tend to be pretty drat good as well so it takes the risk out of buying an OG copy used. I just gotta wonder what they are doing wrong that they need to sell albums for $40-50 to turn a profit. It certainly can't be the crappy extras they tout and if it is just get rid of those dumb art prints and stencils. Maybe their licensing costs are killing them.

Edit: I always check discogs before buying from VMP.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 21, 2020

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Turbinosamente posted:

Buy more Bandcamp albums I guess?

Unless i'm buying from the record store near work, this is the only other place I buy music from.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Turbinosamente posted:

This I would also like. Was a little miffed that there wasn't a download code in the copy of Motorhead's Overkill I just bought brand new, when according to the Discogs entry for it there should have been. Probably one of those that only some with this runout got download codes blah de blah blah and no one cares enough to make the entry change. At least if you buy vinyl off of Bandcamp you usually get the digital download with it which is cool. Buy more Bandcamp albums I guess?

not do only you get the bandcamp download, but then inside the sleeve is another code for the copy of the album on bandcamp. win win win.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
i hope bandcamp manages to get their record pressing gimmick further off the ground and manages to lower the prices.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What is Bandcamp doing?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Love 2 buy records whose download cards expired three years ago

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Heath posted:

What is Bandcamp doing?

https://bandcamp.com/vinyl

its kind of pricey right now but i think its a good idea. an artist i follow was going to use it then covid hit and they just digitally released the album so i think its partially on hiatus?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
is there a thread to deposit unneeded download codes

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I just post in the genre thread or another thread that's more targeted to the extra download code I have. IDK if there's like a dedicated thread for it

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I think I had a couple records stolen from the mail :smith:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

I just post in the genre thread or another thread that's more targeted to the extra download code I have. IDK if there's like a dedicated thread for it

sounds good

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I think it depends entirely on how much you want to spend. If you want a bargain, check Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist constantly and pray for something decently priced. Caveat emptor: there's obviously no guarantees there to condition/functionality though and you will likely see all sorts of poo poo before you find a decent one. If you want to pony up more cash for a decent used unit then Reverb.com is your best bet, and honestly the route I would go given the ridiculous prices I've seen locally. Is there a particular model that you're looking for or do you just want an SL-1200 regardless of which revision?

New revisions of the SL-1200 exist but they are ridiculously expensive ($1000+) and there's even an audiophile version labeled the Panasonic SL-1200G.

If I had the cash, I'd definitely go for a SL-1200. If money was no object, then the 1200G. If I was literally sitting on a pile of money with many beautiful ladies, I would probably buy this setup here, and some kind of crazy amp and those $200k speakers the massive audiophiles have.

I am a little reticent about buying the Audio Technica LP 120, because I've heard bad things about them, as well as good. In the meantime, I have the 50th anniversary deluxe reissue of "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath heading my way, and nothing to play it on, heh.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

The Dark Project posted:

If I had the cash, I'd definitely go for a SL-1200. If money was no object, then the 1200G. If I was literally sitting on a pile of money with many beautiful ladies, I would probably buy this setup here, and some kind of crazy amp and those $200k speakers the massive audiophiles have.

I am a little reticent about buying the Audio Technica LP 120, because I've heard bad things about them, as well as good. In the meantime, I have the 50th anniversary deluxe reissue of "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath heading my way, and nothing to play it on, heh.

My lp60 lasted years and honestly probably just needed a new belt. I have heard nothing but good about the LP120. But my upgrade from the 60 was a sld2 that I found for a $100ish. I also found a nice working one on the side of the road that I was gonna hold onto for parts but it turned out to be in really good condition. I second scouring the local ads. Especially now DJ's might be selling off some of their stuff.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I’ve been looking at Luxman tables lately. If money was no object I’d probably go with a Thorens or Empire, but Luxman gear is nice and there are some deals out there.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

mycophobia posted:

sounds good

How do you know the downloads sound good if you didn't listen to them?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What vinyl websites would you recommend that I could email a gift certificate to a friend?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What vinyl websites would you recommend that I could email a gift certificate to a friend?

Bandcamp seems like the best way to support an artist but probably kinda limited. You could look for local record shops. A lot will do gift certs and have internet ordering. I have had good experiences with https://www.plaidroomrecords.com/

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It depends on what they like. There really aren't any general record selling webstores anymore. Everything comes from labels or lovely retailers like amazon or best buy.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

CPL593H posted:

was listening to new wave by against me! (think that was like the first or second brand-new LP i got within a few days of my first turntable) the other day and realized that the cd that came with it was still in the stereo of my 98 pontiac sunfire when it finally died and went to the junkyard

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

John Romero posted:

was listening to new wave by against me! (think that was like the first or second brand-new LP i got within a few days of my first turntable) the other day and realized that the cd that came with it was still in the stereo of my 98 pontiac sunfire when it finally died and went to the junkyard

F

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I had a really sweet Dylan bootleg cd I bought at some music shop in the village when I was a kid and I left it in some dude’s boat CD player and then he sold the boat.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

I had a really sweet Dylan bootleg cd I bought at some music shop in the village when I was a kid and I left it in some dude’s boat CD player and then he sold the boat.

Imagine how pumped the buyer was then they realized they got a bonus CD with their boat.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Imagine how pumped the buyer was then they realized they got a bonus CD with their boat.

I hope they like a radio interview with bob dylan from 62

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
"Back to the Loch with you, Nessie!" *fling*

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This is a super nice release.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I have no clue what kind of music that is but I want one anyway

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I need a good Record Player/Reciever/Record stand. Ideally one more verticle than horizontal as Im short on space. Most im looking at are asking way too much.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Wooo, I'm finally upgrading my turntable sometime this week and my boss just dropped these bad boys on me:

Says he might have a receiver to go with 'em, too.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

caligulamprey posted:

Wooo, I'm finally upgrading my turntable sometime this week and my boss just dropped these bad boys on me:

Says he might have a receiver to go with 'em, too.

I have a pair of infinity bookshelves that are the same vintage and I’ve always liked them. I have them at my desk at work. The real good poo poo is supposed to be the late 70s infinity’s with the EMIT tweeters though.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

BigFactory posted:

The real good poo poo is supposed to be the late 70s infinity’s with the EMIT tweeters though.
These are the RS 5001 model which seems to be 1989, but do have EMIT tweeters. I've never been into tech since I've never had the money to afford anything other than the bottom shelf, though. Everything I'm upgrading is probably gonna be a substantial boost.

I'm so goddamn hyped for this. :sax:

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 24, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

JAMOOOL posted:

I have no clue what kind of music that is but I want one anyway

It's a remix of the Secret of Mana soundtrack.

https://natsukashii.bandcamp.com/album/

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

caligulamprey posted:

These are the RS 5001 model, which seems to be 1989, but do have EMIT tweeters. I've never been into tech since I've never had the money to afford anything other than the bottom shelf, though. Everything I'm upgrading is probably gonna be a substantial boost.

I'm so goddamn hyped for this. :sax:

Noice. Post a pic with the grille off!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

How does one identify old speakers that are worth bothering with?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Audiokarma probably has a thread for just about every speaker you’d ever want to listen to. But in my experience speakers rarely hold their value compared to other vintage audio gear (with some major exceptions), so you can find really nice 30/40/50 year old speakers for not a lot of money. My main speakers are a pair of B&Ws from the early 70s that I paid $100 for. They rule.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

Pick them up and see if they're heavy.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Grabbed Piñata and Koyaanisqatsi today. Koyanisqaatsi was $50, ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Asnorban posted:

Grabbed Piñata and Koyaanisqatsi today. Koyanisqaatsi was $50, ugh.

Gunna scratch that off my list then. Other stuff I want more. Woof.