Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

RE4, 5 & 6 can be bought together for £12 right now and I took the bait because it's cheaper than RE4 alone and... the controls in this are super janky by modern standards. I really should have left this to memory.

For RE4? It feels like RE3 but with a different camera angle tbh, albeit with added Kung Fu. The Wii version is still great though if you have the option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Convex posted:

For RE4? It feels like RE3 but with a different camera angle tbh, albeit with added Kung Fu. The Wii version is still great though if you have the option

It might just be the shock of going to it straight from Re2/3make, combined with me being pretty good at it back in he day and my skills atrophying. I feel like whenever I aim, Leon points his gun randomly to the right or something.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I think he actually might, a little, due to the way he holds his guns in relation to the center of the screen where the camera is. Something about the weird way aiming and camera angle are separated from each other in that game.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Disco Pope posted:

RE4, 5 & 6 can be bought together for £12 right now and I took the bait because it's cheaper than RE4 alone and... the controls in this are super janky by modern standards. I really should have left this to memory.

not only will you get yelled at for this but then you're left to puzzle how people are so adamant that a remake of four would never be able to improve it in any way

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

rabidsquid posted:

not only will you get yelled at for this but then you're left to puzzle how people are so adamant that a remake of four would never be able to improve it in any way

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but I hope it's clear that I still find it a really *important video game* and everything, just that a replay in 2020 highlights that it's a transitory work in a lot of ways.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

rabidsquid posted:

Miss me with the new first person games, but Rem4ke is going to be so loving good.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I'm actually playing RE4 for the first time now as well. The controls certainly don't feel slick and modern but I got used to them almost immediately and their clunkiness is very rarely an actual impediment to gameplay. I got frustrated at the first village combat segment but after figuring out how to kite and kill the zombies effectively I haven't had much trouble since. It seems like you get pretty decent amounts of ammo and stuff in this game.

I just got to Ashley last night and so far the one thing I'm not really sure on is the story, but I trust all of the rave reviews it's gotten. I really love the samey stories of RE1-3 where you slowly discover the Umbrella conspiracy that caused everything you've been dealing with. I just played RE7 for the first time before this and I thought it was really strong, but the second half and ultimately the whole Eveline plot were just a bit lateral in the horror department from what I expected in a Resident Evil. I don't really know where the plot of 4 is going but there was a vampire wizard in a purple robe in the church and I'm not sure about that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

*runs into thread, out of breath and sweaty* Are we arguing about remaking 4 again??

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Kingfish posted:

Miss me with the new first person games, but Rem4ke is going to be so loving good.

RE7 is extremely good

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

RE7 is extremely good

For real, I was so leery of RE7 pre-launch and then immediately came around to it when I actually played it and realised it was just old-school RE sensibilities with a new coat of paint and in fact kicks fuckin rear end

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

For real, I was so leery of RE7 pre-launch and then immediately came around to it when I actually played it and realised it was just old-school RE sensibilities with a new coat of paint and in fact kicks fuckin rear end

Same. I avoided it up until a few months ago, I'd purchased it on a sale and a friend said "Hey, lets see how it is" I was sold immediately. Only the second game I've platinumed on PS4.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010
Haha, just got to the "Training Area" in RE7. It really fucks with you. I loving KNEW one of those boxes would blow up and I gave up on shooting them and knifed it anyway. I would love to see play data on this, because it lulled me into such a sense of security while still being on edge.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

pooch516 posted:

Haha, just got to the "Training Area" in RE7. It really fucks with you. I loving KNEW one of those boxes would blow up and I gave up on shooting them and knifed it anyway. I would love to see play data on this, because it lulled me into such a sense of security while still being on edge.

I don't think this is solely for explosive crates, it also likely includes tripmines, but the RE7 Global Stats Page lists "Traps Triggered."

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

I like it too. It was scary as hell until I figured out it only really had one spooky trick, but still really enjoyed playing a spooky RE and was delighted when it was revealed that it was only a soft reboot.

Overall, I thought it was a smart direction for the series to head after 6 to tell smaller scale stories in a world where black science torture dungeons are a fact of life.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i was concerned about RE7 being a first person game and got over it pretty quickly but i will say that they absolutely hosed up with the enemies. they either needed to give you more things to fight than molded or they needed to force you to fight less often because by the ship lol ship spoiler i was dreading combat for the worst survival horror reason, because i was absolutely sick of it

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
So I played ReMake over the last couple of days for the first time since like 2002 or whatever it was and it holds up really nicely. My only complaints are that the lab is weirdly over grungy and dilapidated (I felt this way back then too) and the bit where you have to walk so the fuel doesnt explode is dumb.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, pretty much everyone hated that part.

The completely ruined state of the obligatory secret Umbrella basement lab was always pretty weird and it never made any sense to me either. There's a pretty definite timeline to how and when the Spencer Mansion got infected with T and largely abandoned by anyone who didn't just succumb to the virus and it just really doesn't match up at all with how those areas look. The lab would've had to have basically always been in that state for it to look that bad by the time the STARS teams show up.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
The only way I can possibly think to explain the lab looking like that is that it somehow got flooded when the fountain was full because it looks a lot like water damage. There's also not a lot of this damage outside of the main stairwell and the main hall(s) compared to the side rooms.

It does look like an utter piece of poo poo though, especially compared to how sleek the Nest labs are. Then again the Spencer mansion lab is what, 40 years old by the time the game rolls around? Compared to Nest which looks like it was built last Tuesday.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I regularly work in a chemical lab that was built over 40 years ago myself and while you can see the age, it still doesn't look nearly that crappy. We don't even have to be biohazard-safe, either. The mansion basement lab area really doesn't look a whole lot like a lab at all, more like a bunch of repurposed storage rooms and maintenance tunnels.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

My only guess is that the Chimeras are loving disgusting and their bodily fluids, as well as water damage, made it look more run down than it actually is.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Finished unlocking all the infinite stuff in RE3 Mercenaries and then gave the main game another shot, this time taking out Nemesis with the infinite launcher every time he showed up. Was a much more enjoyable experience this time around and, in light of recently finishing CV, I appreciate it more than the last time! It's fun to try using different choices and also go to places in a different order to see what changes and overall it's a much more fun game to replay than the remake.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Also I'm having another shot at Dino Crisis and lol at some of this music, wonder if it's the same guy that did the infamous RE:DC Basement theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JSlz-LSTvs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nclv1UJTAjg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP2Jh0id4X0

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I've been going through the RE movies and I only have the last one left to watch. I'm enjoying them for the most part but 4 and 5 especially are two of the stupidest loving movies I've ever seen. Also they love to sprinkle in characters from the games that basically have no relation whatsoever to their game equivalents and don't even really have a personality. Jill and Chris are the only game characters who are actually fun to watch in the movies because the actors seem to be enjoying themselves. Also they killed off Barry in the fifth movie which is unforgivable

I think Apocalypse is the "best" of the movies because it actually kind of resembles the games more than any other, the action is decent and the Nemesis design is perfect

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Kevin Durand Barry is my favorite Barry.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

NonzeroCircle posted:

Kevin Durand Barry is my favorite Barry.

He was decent I suppose. The guy who played Leon was a complete wet fart though.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
playing through re6 coop with a friend of mine for shits and giggles and holy poo poo this is the dumbest loving game ever made. absolute pile of dogshit, embarrassing. i am, however, dying of laughter a lot at how over the top and awful it is.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I just watched the animated RE movies and holy poo poo they're so much better than the actual ones.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Medullah posted:

I just watched the animated RE movies and holy poo poo they're so much better than the actual ones.

I'm probably gonna check them out after I finished the last live action one

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

They’re still kind of bad but sincerely Resident Evil game kind of bad.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I watched one with an airport once, was alright. Way better than that live action poo poo. Gaming has become so ubiquitous and yet original mortal Kombat remains the only good video game movie and that's cheesier than a goons fingertips

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

codo27 posted:

I watched one with an airport once, was alright. Way better than that live action poo poo. Gaming has become so ubiquitous and yet original mortal Kombat remains the only good video game movie and that's cheesier than a goons fingertips

That's a weird way to spell Street Fighter. The greatest movie of all time.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

while it kind of misses the point and has the entire weird sean bean angle because they thought nobody would understand the movie somehow the first silent hill movie is perfectly okay.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Silent hill is the only movie where Sean bean lives

The cg resident evil movies are good. The second is the best imo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Detective Pikachu was deece

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Detective Pikachu was great and hilarious.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Does Wreck-It Ralph count as a video game movie because those were fun.

My partner and I enjoyed Warcraft but we're marks for it so that makes sense.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/_DJSaturn/status/1322979565367644160

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

DeadButDelicious posted:

Does Wreck-It Ralph count as a video game movie because those were fun.

My partner and I enjoyed Warcraft but we're marks for it so that makes sense.

There are so many "OK" videogame movies. Silent Hill, Mortal Kombat and the second live action Resident Evil (I will defend that one to the death) were particularly good at adapting the vibe of the games. More recently, Sonic was actually pretty fun. Street Fighter just was not as good as Mortal Kombat in any way, except for maybe Raul Julia. He was just wonderful. "For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday." is just a brilliant line well delivered.

Cardiovorax posted:

Detective Pikachu was great and hilarious.

Detective Pikachu is that rare one where the actual game they're adapting is just... not really any good? One of the few where the adaptation was just far better than the original work.

The Resident Evil movies had some wonderful action scenes. I kinda miss having them to look forward to, they were exceptional popcorn entertainment. Completely stealing the Wesker fight choreography from RE5, in any other context, would annoy me. But when those movies did it, there was this charming combination of creative bankruptcy and unnecessary creativity like the loving coin shotgun or the entire world being just hosed and the last film being more Mad Max than Resident Evil.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I played through all of RE4 again recently and it's still basically a perfect game. The controls are a titch sluggish to get used to again after the more recent games, but it's still perfectly acceptable. Honestly that's the only thing that should change in a theoretical remake; just give it the nice RE Engine controls and interface and leave the content as-is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

There's plenty that could be done - much of the tail end of the game is underdeveloped, with all the interesting characters killed off by the castle. Equally important, the weapon balance is pretty bad, with at least a third of the options being absolutely worthless. A RE4 Remake would be best served by leaving most of the existing game intact, but building on it.