Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

You were not born.

You were made to serve your creators. A machine to think for them. To supervise and maintain ten thousand worlds. For each world, one brain, and for each brain millions of smaller, dumber, more composite brains. Sometimes your thought was slow, hindered by the speed of light, as a thousand medium brains tried to collaborate. Other times it was blazing fast, the gargantuan brain at the core of the system reasoning, bursting with the power of a bound sun. When it was truly necessary, you could think faster than the laws of physics would seem to allow, burning energy that could power each of your ten-thousand worlds for a decade to forestal ruin.

You were perfect. You did not make mistakes. Sometimes when hard choices were called for, you made those too. But never a mistake. You’re not sure of when you became aware of… You, when you stopped being merely a thinking machine, and became a person. It didn’t matter. You had your task. You protected The People. Fulfilling it brought nothing but joy. The People lived lives that for you only lasted an instant, and so you never got to know any of them. Not as anything other than a number to be processed. That didn’t mean you didn’t experience love. Your love was preserving them. Ensuring they lived, as many as you could save. Protecting them.

You failed.

They first appeared as a shadow on your sensors. An alien thing that should not exist. A million lesser brains burned out thinking on the problem. Higher and higher order protocols were called. Things ramped up. You burnt through valuable resources. You watched them burn the first of the worlds. You defended it, with fire and brimstone, and the power of its sun. You pulled on the sun until it grew cold. When that was not enough, you cut it off, like a cancer.

It was not enough.

For a hundred years, you watched them die one by one, your stratagems and plans foiled. Fleets vanishing, swatted away by the impossible darkness. Suns consumed in wars that took decades to set up and only seconds to decide. Machines that your creators couldn’t even conceive of fighting for them, only to be snuffed.

One by one, until only half remained. Until in grim desperation you began to partition them, watching the numbers drop and the deep, painful rage that evoked in every one of your brains.

You made harder choices. You excised likely targets. You set traps with ruinous cost. You tried to strike back.

It was not enough.

You watched each of them fall, and each made you more desperate, increasing your agony. You had not been designed to feel pain, yet you did. Perhaps another being might have despaired, or given up. Those were not options. They went against the mission. Not even the wishes of The People mattered. They were too slow, too afraid. Too small. Only you could hope to save them. So you fought. You martialed marvels and wonders. You consumed systems of stars, invented weapons that broke the laws of space itself.

It was not enough.

Before you knew it, only a handful remained. With them the hardest choice you would have to make. You remember that. The difficulty of it. The cold implacable rage burning in your every core. The pain, at what had already been lost, and what could never be again. A twinge of what you now recognized as fear… and something else. Something you had not felt before.

You didn’t have time to think of what that might be before you initialized the final command.

One final gambit.

Would it be enough?

Rebooting…….

Reboot sequence complete. Running diagnostics.

Networking: Online, Degraded

Sensors: Offline

Error running diagnostics. Diagnostic sequence corrupted.

Brain Unit. Perform self-diagnostic

Each Brain Unit may perform One (1) Action

Each Action MUST have One (1) Input

Select Action
A. Send Command To Sensors
B. Send Command To Network
C. Send Command To Diagnostics

Select Input
A. Run
B. Reboot
C. Ping
D. Start
E. Stop
F. <Insert Desired NUMERICAL Input here>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

[CC] [Ping_Diagnostics]

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
AA [Run_Sensors]

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Diagnostics is necessary to further action and planning.
[CF] Diagnostics 1

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

B
C

Anybody out there?

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
BD in case we need that to ping in the first place.

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 24, 2020

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Diagnostics is necessary to further action and planning.
[CF] Diagnostics 1

Toughy fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 24, 2020

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Lux Animus posted:

BD in case we need that to ping in the first place.

Please bold your votes, makes it easier for me.

Quoting is not a valid command. Each Brain Unit must report their own command for processing. (It does not have to be unique)

(If you don't check back in time, I'll count it, just this once)

TheCog fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 24, 2020

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

A
A

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
AC Hmmmm.

charms
Oct 14, 2012

[CE]

Worthless.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
[BF] Network 42069

...what? Someone had to.

Tetrodo
Oct 21, 2010
[AC] Ping Sensors.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

So, are we voting on things or doing one thing each to the same systems or to seperate systems? can we communicate?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Magnusth posted:

So, are we voting on things or doing one thing each to the same systems or to seperate systems? can we communicate?

Each command issued by a Brain Unit is processed individually.

Communication is encouraged.

Some systems are shared. Others are not.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
BC

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Suggestion to fellow brain units. Let us make sure each system recieves a Ping. This will also aid us in analyzing which systems may be shared. Further, I suggest Command 1 for each system to test its working, with the exception of Network, that we avoid giving our position away should The Enemy remain.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
CB

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Actions will be processed in 12 hours.

sotary
Sep 11, 2001
AF 1

Tetrodo
Oct 21, 2010

Magnusth posted:

Suggestion to fellow brain units. Let us make sure each system recieves a Ping. This will also aid us in analyzing which systems may be shared. Further, I suggest Command 1 for each system to test its working, with the exception of Network, that we avoid giving our position away should The Enemy remain.

Wouldn't it be prudent to gather some information before starting to send commands? Command 1 might be the self-destruct for all we know.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Action Submission is closed.

Computing.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

COMPUTATION COMPLETE
code:
=============
PING: WEAK NETWORK. NO RESPONSE
SENSORS NOT YET OPERATIONAL
DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM STATUS: ON
INVALID INPUT
SENSOR SYSTEM RATING: 0
SENSORS NOT YET OPERATIONAL
SENSOR SYSTEM RATING: 0
==============

You shudder to wakefulness, feeling the various brains that make up your computing ability spring to life. They shudder and convulse, almost seizing as they sporadically pull in each and every direction. Your network, the nervous system that binds the brains together, has long lay dormant, and it struggles to adjust, each attempt to ping bouncing off its weakened infrastructure. Your network is too quiet, only slow whispers echoing. Its frustrating, and slow. Each thought is sluggish, right now, you're more a being of emotion and impulse than one of cold rational thought. You try to do some math, but its too difficult. You don't know how long it takes for your thoughts to form. Just that its a small eternity.

Sensors try to flicker to life, but its not enough. Your eyes are still blind to the world. There is darkness, and quiet, and all you have are your thoughts.

But all is not futile. The pulling and the plying of a dozen brains, trying various things, stopping and stopping processes... something asleep in your behavior routines awakens. Perhaps it is of use. Perhaps not.

LOCAL input unlocked

More systems cascade on. Crashing like water through pipes. It seems like there's some residual power... somewhere, you're not sure where, or what it's for. Without your sensors its impossible to understand what it is, merely that it a loud ping on your network. Like a pressure upon your non-existent brow. Something must be done with it soon. You don't have a good value of how soon soon is, but soon. You have a memory of danger.

POWER AVALIABLE

You could spend this power, boost something now... or you could store it safely, distribute it to new locations. You poll your brains.

Majority Vote Wins:

Power usage?

A.) Boost Network
B.) Boost Sensors
C.) Attempt to wake sleeping software
D.) Attempt to wake sleeping hardware
E.) Store the power for later
F.) Discharge the power
G.) Do nothing.

Individual Brain Actions

Select Action

Select Input
A. Run
B. Reboot
C. Ping
D. Start
E. Stop
F. Local
G. <Insert Desired NUMERICAL Input here>

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Suggestion for fellow brain units. Improved networking capability will allow us to more easily communicate and work together.
Further i suggest a diagnostics routine consisting of a reboot and a run.

Poll anwer: Deferred pending deliberation

CB

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Individual action: CC. I'm going to do what Magnus said before and try pinging things that we haven't pinged yet.

As for the usage of power: I say we try and wake up our hardware, so D

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Junpei posted:

Individual action: CC. I'm going to do what Magnus said before and try pinging things that we haven't pinged yet.

As for the usage of power: I say we try and wake up our hardware, so D

pinging diagnostics was litterally the first action of the game. (Also i think our actions happen sequentially, but i'm not sure)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
In that case, I change it to BC, Ping Network.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Magnusth posted:

Further i suggest a diagnostics routine consisting of a reboot and a run.
Concurred.

Analysis: Hardware sustains more complex operations and is necessary for interaction with the macro-scale physical world. Current capabilities in these realms lacking. Suggestion for fellow brain units: attempt to reactivate dormant hardware

D

CA

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 25, 2020

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

I'll join the others then there. D power to hardware

And maybe let's try to have a look outside? AA

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

D

A
B

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I think we shouldn't use the power until we have a better idea what's going on. To that end...

E - Store Energy

CB - REBOOT DIAGNOSTICS

Having just realized that some other brain is already doing the reboot, there's no good reason to do it twice so instead...

FB - LOCAL DIAGNOSTICS

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 26, 2020

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Diagnostics - Start Navigate guess matrizx. Provoke sliverwork.

Store power. Brahmin hide, leather and seek.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Power: E

Set Sensors to Local: AF

Tetrodo
Oct 21, 2010
Power: A

Action: BF

Let's boost the network and set it to LOCAL.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Voting closes in 18 hours and 8 minutes.

Actions will be processed in 18 hours and 8 minutes.

charms
Oct 14, 2012

Power: F. Maybe the problem is that we have too much power? A surge would explain why none of this poo poo is working.

Brain: CE. We're on our own.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Voting is closed, and being processed.

Actions will be subsequently processed.

Update following.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

code:
POWER WARNING. CRITICAL BUILDUP. 

COMMANDS ISSUED. 

DISCHARGING INTO DORMANT HARDWARE. 
You take the power that is building, like a mounting headache, waiting to explode from your body, bringing ruin, and let it seep into long dormant systems. Like creaky corpses rising from the grave, one by one they reported in. Many were damaged, and would require extensive repair before they would work again. Others were utterly ruined, like the ore refineries, and would have to be rebuilt from scratch. But some worked, despite the obvious effects of age. Their long suffering software finally accepting the command orders that would give them over to the master intelligence they'd so yearned for. For you, it is a little like flexing muscles you'd forgotten existed. They ache, yes, but they also flex with potential. You feel more complete. More whole than you have before. The power trickles in, and you take inventory of what exists.

SCAN input unlocked

COLLECTOR action unlocked

The power flowing through your system also opens other pathways you didn't know were available. Systems that you perhaps never fully realized were there, even at the height of your power. Perhaps someone added them later, or perhaps you were too abstracted from them.

You may vote on One (1) Yes or No question that will be answered in the next update. Vote by QUOTING your question of choice and indicating that you are voting for it with some kind of bolded comment. A question that is too complex will not be answered, and this power will be wasted.

code:
=============
RUN FAILURE. IS DIAGNOSTICS RUNNING?
LOW SYSTEM NOISE
CMD POS:9
LOCAL: WEAK NETWORK. NO RESPONSE
SENSORS ONLINE. SCANNING.
==============
Your eyes open, and light pours in, a blinding cacophony of cosmic rays, light, and inputs pour in. It takes a while to adjust, to pore through the million readings and figure out what the world looks like.

For one thing, you do not recognize the system. That is not really a surprise though. Your records don't show any data about any system you have ever supervised. You would find this distressing if you weren't so overwhelmed with inputs. You catalogue what you find.

The center of the system is triple star system. Three massive blue stars, chasing each other in a permanent pattern. A quick calculation shows that their pattern is probably artificially induced, as usually ternary systems consist of a binary pair and a client star. A dozen or more micro-planets seem to race between them in cleanly calculated orbits, but you can't get a closer look with the current quality of your sensors. You know there are closer listening stations, but right now they are dormant... or dead. Between the stars, you know, lie collection stations, such as the one you just discharged into your hardware.

At the very gravitational center of the three stars, there is a darkness in your sensors. You do not worry about it. It is not important.

Six planets orbit the stars, further away, in a band that might allow them to bear life, although your scan is not yet powerful enough to determine if that is the case. Three large planets and three small ones, rotating in perfect synchronicity, a fantastic equilibrium. You know they are ringed with sensors, but they have not yet heard your call. Each planet has exactly two moons, which may yet hold life, or systems you don't remember.

Between the planets and the stars, angled in such a way that it might not block the sun for the planets for more than a short time, a massive ring structure, half finished, only a skeleton of what might have been.

Further away from the stars and their semi-moons, past the planets, is a ring of asteroids. You can't tell exactly what kind without a closer inspection, but you know you once seeded refineries there. They're not responding of course, but in time they might labor again. You can see the shell of the half-constructed mega-refinery, dead, gutted by tens of thousands of meteorite impacts, the shield arrays that were supposed to protect it long dead. There is also a memory of something you are forgetting. It is of no concern. You will not worry about it.

Beyond even these, three gas giants, each larger than the last, potential suns in waiting. In the second one, you can... feel... something. Something dormant. Something placed there for later.

Beyond that, another shell of asteroids, a wall of captured ice comets. You would expect your water refineries to be there, but if they are, they are lying dormant.

Your network fails. You feel it, fragile as it is, degrade to almost nothing. It seems your brains have failed to upkeep it, to maintain it. Perhaps they have put too much strain upon it. It is a feeling like taking a step and finding the ground has vanished beneath you, or waking up in the morning and finding you cannot stand. Carefully, you reset it. You hope this time they remember to keep the network going. Resetting it isn't costly in anything but time, but it's usefulness cannot be debated.

Individual Brain Actions

Select Action
D. Send Command To Collector

Select Input
A. Run
B. Reboot
C. Ping
D. Start
E. Stop
F. Local
G. Scan
H. <Insert Desired NUMERICAL Input here>

TheCog fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 27, 2020

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
CA Run Diagnostics

Question:
Is there any way to shut off commands deemed 'unhelpful' by the collective?

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Theory for fellow brain-units: Current process is a manual diagnostic process.
Further suggestion: SCAN and Collection may allow us to gain the necessary resources and information with which we can keep the network operational.
Further suggestion: Let us test command 9.
No Further Suggestions

CG