Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Asnorban posted:

Grabbed Piñata and Koyaanisqatsi today. Koyanisqaatsi was $50, ugh.

I'd say count yourself lucky. Judging by the ebay gouging already going on you'll never see it at that price again unless they plan on doing another run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Yeah I didn't think people cared about UFO still and that live at Youngstown album is already going at $70+ online. I bought myself LCD Soundsystem and Microtonal Flying Banana as a consolation prize instead in addition to the Who live album.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Another good haul and got everything I wanted plus a little extra.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
so weird to me that this is an album you can buy on vinyl, when at the time it felt the most illegal bootleg goddamn thing in the world

records sound great. it's split into a 2LP so obviously you miss the seamless end-to-end nature of the original, but I found the stops and starts much less jarring than I expected (maybe because the MP3 player I first listened to it on couldn't handle gapless playback, so I knew exactly where the songs transitioned :v:). I'm pretty sure they even added a couple "count-in" beats to the starts of the sides, so it sounds less like it's coming in off the end of something else, but that may have been in the original and I'm just imagining it

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

abraham linksys posted:

(maybe because the MP3 player I first listened to it on couldn't handle gapless playback, so I knew exactly where the songs transitioned :v:).

My car can't handle gapless playback now, drives me nuts listening to live albums. So far my purchases today have been largely a disappointment. The Who live album in particular was just kinda whatever. Perhaps I'm spoiled because I got a UK import copy of Who's Next on CD which has a bonus disc of a much better live concert. Dunno which one it is off of the top of my head though. Today's moral of the story is for me to stop buying The Who rereleases and give up on King Gizzard too. At least the LCD Soundsystem album I nabbed is turning out to be okay so far.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Giga Gaia posted:

https://bandcamp.com/vinyl

its kind of pricey right now but i think its a good idea. an artist i follow was going to use it then covid hit and they just digitally released the album so i think its partially on hiatus?

It's a good idea but like you said, 250 is a rather high threshold in the covid times

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Behold my epic RSD haul:

The nice thing about the Beck 7" is that as a new release it took 25 percent off the used Donald Byrd record, saving me about seven bucks. According to the date on the Erroll Garner price tag, it had been sitting in the jazz bin since early 2015. I'll give you a good home little guy, even if you have an overpowering musk emanating from your gatefold sleeves.

Edit:

dorium posted:

Another good haul and got everything I wanted plus a little extra.

There were several RSD jazz reissues I was somewhat interested in like that Dexter Gordon, but almost all of them were over $35 and I'm trying to put my foot down on paying so much for records. The Bitches Brew sessions was a bit more reasonably priced for me at $30 but... I'm not a huge fan of Bitches Brew-era Miles.

The Pinata is a good score. I kind of wanted the '64 edition that was available from their website a few months ago because I'm a sucker for the Blue Note aesthetic but again... it would've been $40 for a single record. Of course, I already have the two-LP Vinyl Me Please edition which uhh... is apparently going for over $150 on discogs right now. :pwn:

This fuckin' hobby, man.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 25, 2020

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I was honestly surprised Pinata wasn't $40 retail. It was $27 before tax which is fair and they removed the skits which makes the release a lot leaner.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ballz posted:

Behold my epic RSD haul:

The nice thing about the Beck 7" is that as a new release it took 25 percent off the used Donald Byrd record, saving me about seven bucks. According to the date on the Erroll Garner price tag, it had been sitting in the jazz bin since early 2015. I'll give you a good home little guy, even if you have an overpowering musk emanating from your gatefold sleeves.

I found that Donald Byrd at a thrift store for a buck. Cover is a little trashed but still one of my better thrift store finds.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

BigFactory posted:

I found that Donald Byrd at a thrift store for a buck. Cover is a little trashed but still one of my better thrift store finds.

That indeed is a helluva good thrift store find. I'm sure Blue Note will eventually get around to giving it a Tone Poet edition or some other special re-master treatment but the one I found today is in really nice shape, with only the occasional pop. My fusion-era Donald Byrd collection is nearing completion! I think all I need is Electric Byrd.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

abraham linksys posted:

so weird to me that this is an album you can buy on vinyl, when at the time it felt the most illegal bootleg goddamn thing in the world

I know mine must be an actual bootleg but quite a while back I was perusing the stacks waiting for my number to come up on RSD when an artist card for Danger Mouse caught my eye and low and behold it was a copy of the Grey Album.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I am extremely happy with my Koyaanisqatsi vinyl

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I tried going a couple places and felt like an extreme doofus when they were both like curbside pickup for website preorders only

I might have had better luck going to the third, as it's the most walk-in-y of any of them, but I didn't actually know if that was the case and after feeling shamed at two joints, I went home because my anxiety couldn't have taken much more.

All I really wanted was a copy of McLemore Avenue.

In other news, I love that cover on the Erroll Garner record: just standing there like "paris? what the gently caress is this bullshit?"

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

awwww hell yeah.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The Master approves

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ballz posted:

Behold my epic RSD haul:

The weird smell is half the appeal of collecting records in the first place! Someone once told me my bedroom smells like a library.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Record cleaning question: I have an LP that almost appears like someone spilled something nasty on it that won't come out with just hot soapy water. I haven't been able to find any other original pressings of this album and I'd like to recover it if possible. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've heard that an even coating of wood glue might work but I'd like to avoid doing that if possible.

It's not a particularly *rare* record I don't think but it's not something I've seen any reprints or other copies of in any of my local stores so, if I can rescue this original, I'd love to.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
About a month ago I posted that I was planning to pick up my parents old turntable as a first unit. Well I finally did and it’s a Thorens TD-160. We took it to a used place in town and the guy looked at it and somehow the thing is totally fine. Didn’t even need a new belt. He gave the model nothing but praise and even hinted at wanting to buy it off me for his own personal use.

They also gave us their old receiver and a couple speakers. They have a bunch of old records. My sister had previously claimed most of the cool ones but a few still caught my interest.

Overall pretty psyched about it. Sounds great so far except a slight vibration in one speaker on bass notes. Not sure if it’s blown or just something loose.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

z0331 posted:

About a month ago I posted that I was planning to pick up my parents old turntable as a first unit. Well I finally did and it’s a Thorens TD-160. We took it to a used place in town and the guy looked at it and somehow the thing is totally fine. Didn’t even need a new belt. He gave the model nothing but praise and even hinted at wanting to buy it off me for his own personal use.

They also gave us their old receiver and a couple speakers. They have a bunch of old records. My sister had previously claimed most of the cool ones but a few still caught my interest.

Overall pretty psyched about it. Sounds great so far except a slight vibration in one speaker on bass notes. Not sure if it’s blown or just something loose.

That’s a great setup. The rumble you’re hearing could be vibration from having your speakers on the same surface as your turntable. Does it only happen at high volume? Or it could just be a bad woofer.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 25, 2020

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Kazinsal posted:

Record cleaning question: I have an LP that almost appears like someone spilled something nasty on it that won't come out with just hot soapy water. I haven't been able to find any other original pressings of this album and I'd like to recover it if possible. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've heard that an even coating of wood glue might work but I'd like to avoid doing that if possible.

It's not a particularly *rare* record I don't think but it's not something I've seen any reprints or other copies of in any of my local stores so, if I can rescue this original, I'd love to.

diluted isopropyl, maybe? does it actually mess with the sound? I have some weird stains on my older records but they dont seem to make any discernable difference to the playback

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

See if any record stores in your area can clean it with a vacuum. A lot of record stores have the machine for it. But I'll echo what someone else was saying. If you've cleaned it and the residue doesn't have an audible effect on the sound I wouldn't gently caress with it.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

BigFactory posted:

That’s a great setup. The rumble you’re hearing could be vibration from having your speakers on the same surface as your turntable. Does it only happen at high volume? Or it could just be a bad woofer.

After some playing around I’m still not sure if the speakers are bad or they’re just very vibrate-y. But, my in-laws are musicians and gave us a pair that’s an upgrade anyway.

Someday we’ll put them on their own stands but for now it’ll just look silly. But they sound amazing and have no rattle at all as long as I don’t turn the bass all the way up or the volume to stupid levels.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

z0331 posted:

After some playing around I’m still not sure if the speakers are bad or they’re just very vibrate-y. But, my in-laws are musicians and gave us a pair that’s an upgrade anyway.

Someday we’ll put them on their own stands but for now it’ll just look silly. But they sound amazing and have no rattle at all as long as I don’t turn the bass all the way up or the volume to stupid levels.

I think you’ll appreciate getting those on stands when you can do it.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

BigFactory posted:

I think you’ll appreciate getting those on stands when you can do it.

Even without them it’s still the best sounding music setup I’ve ever owned. :shobon:

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
Maybe try a porcelain piss block.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mystery Steve posted:

Porcelain rings. You want marble.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mystery Steve posted:

Porcelain Piss Block is the name of my punk band.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Did anyone SEE Strum & Thrum retrospective anywhere? I tripped over so many Pinata online (my store ordered 20, but got zero) but this one I couldn't find for poo poo

Then, I see this on discogs

Really lovely imo flipping their own copies.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 25, 2020

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

incoherent posted:

Did anyone SEE Stump & Thrum retrospective? I tripped over so many Pinata online (my store ordered 20, but got zero) but this one I couldn't find for poo poo

Then, I see this on discogs

Really lovely imo flipping their own copies.

Reach out to Record Store Day? If they're an official RSD participant I believe they're not supposed to sell them above MSRP and can get removed from the participating store list if they're caught scalping.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks for the suggestion and I fired off an email.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

A couple months back I saw multiple ebay sellers taking "pre-orders" for RSD releases for a hundred dollars per item.

edit: That article says it's getting a regular release. Still a dick move on the part of that seller.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

"That seller" is the Discogs storefront for the label releasing the album.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

CPL593H posted:

A couple months back I saw multiple ebay sellers taking "pre-orders" for RSD releases for a hundred dollars per item.

edit: That article says it's getting a regular release. Still a dick move on the part of that seller.

People do this for games released by Limited Run Games, too.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I am at my dad’s and thumbed through a random stack of records sitting in his garage and one of them is a sealed copy of Miles Davis - Circle in the Round. I have no idea how to value this thing. It seems to be printed in 1979. I don’t see any other sealed copies for comparison. Is there a way to gauge value short of making an auction listing for it?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

interpunct posted:

"That seller" is the Discogs storefront for the label releasing the album.

That's hilarious. What a bunch of dickheads.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Digging through my Father In Law’s attic and found some wild 40s picture discs

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

cosmicjim posted:

I am at my dad’s and thumbed through a random stack of records sitting in his garage and one of them is a sealed copy of Miles Davis - Circle in the Round. I have no idea how to value this thing. It seems to be printed in 1979. I don’t see any other sealed copies for comparison. Is there a way to gauge value short of making an auction listing for it?

M and NM copies for sale on Discogs for like $55-65, it wouldn’t shock me if a sealed copy sold for $100, but I would think at least like that $65+ range. Sealed records are funny.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe

vivat virtute posted:

Digging through my Father In Law’s attic and found some wild 40s picture discs

https://www.popsike.com/Mercury-Vogue-Picture-Record-5059A5059B/310122415002.html

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Well drat. This copy is trashed but it’s also a decade after that last sold one so I guess I’ll toss it on eBay and see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I got the Lana del Rey poetry record in the mail today. My life is complete.