Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

is legend of the galactic heroes good? im looking for some big sprawling epic to throw on the tv. hopefully something character driven and poo poo that's Not Bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's subtitled anime so not good for just throwing on in the background, you do need to be paying attention to it to understand what's going on

the old series is good but very long. it doesn't feel like it gets caught up in wheel-spinning filler, though. the new series is much shorter and still hits the major plot elements, but sometimes feels like it was made for people that already watched the old one.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

it's subtitled anime so not good for just throwing on in the background, you do need to be paying attention to it to understand what's going on

the old series is good but very long. it doesn't feel like it gets caught up in wheel-spinning filler, though. the new series is much shorter and still hits the major plot elements, but sometimes feels like it was made for people that already watched the old one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR5lasFZL0Q

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
if you like klingons in star trek, you'll love legend of galactic heroes

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhq2U5jtAi0

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_pskpnWwsQ

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i finished the s2 ep where they go to italy and whoever said it was a good paulie ep wasn’t kidding. lots of lols

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Beamed posted:

is legend of the galactic heroes good? im looking for some big sprawling epic to throw on the tv. hopefully something character driven and poo poo that's Not Bad.

it's really really good. the characters are interesting and consistent and smart and fun to watch. Wang Yen-li is my husbando

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

if you like klingons in star trek, you'll love legend of galactic heroes
here's the thing: i hated star trek. i hate star wars, too. they're just both really badly written CONSTANTLY imho

Improbable Lobster posted:

it's really really good. the characters are interesting and consistent and smart and fun to watch. Wang Yen-li is my husbando
this is my poo poo though. i hear rumors it leans too hard into "we just need a STRONG BENEVOLENT DICTATOR to take care of problems", is that just people not reading subtlety like it sometimes is?

Jabor posted:

yeah i would watch the old series, my understanding of the new series is exactly as you describe

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the thing about logh is that it's slow. it's over 100 episodes with a lot of politicking and history lessons between space battles, so settle in for a marathon and try to remember that something will eventually happen

Beamed posted:

this is my poo poo though. i hear rumors it leans too hard into "we just need a STRONG BENEVOLENT DICTATOR to take care of problems", is that just people not reading subtlety like it sometimes is?

one of the main characters is an aspiring strong benevolent dictator, especially later in the show, and it doesn't want to label him or his rival as a hero/villain but rather a participant in the epic sweep of history. it's an ongoing conflict between monarchism and self-determination so neither of them is going to pull ahead until the end

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccjs0FfhmQQ

lol here's an accurate version of SA

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGeOEr6yFL4

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Jabor posted:

another reason dubs are vastly superior

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfK6UgLra7g

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i don’t understand “throwing something on in the background” if you don’t wanna watch it then do something else

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you don't understand the concept of background music? cause it's the same thing

sometimes people do things that aren't watching tv, but use the audio for tv shows as background music

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgMIwuUsOME

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Beamed posted:

it is good, there's a huge number of characters to keep track of, and its got real big 90s anime energy

also better if you can go in unspoiled lookin at you smoka, postin that 'most awesom anime death 320p' poo poo in here

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Glorgnole posted:

it is good, there's a huge number of characters to keep track of, and its got real big 90s anime energy

also better if you can go in unspoiled lookin at you smoka, postin that 'most awesom anime death 320p' poo poo in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa87ghkvp68

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
comrade rosen ritter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grq0rhtbtAw

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I'm watching archer and they just made a solid foucault joke. this season is way better than last season

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

I'm watching archer and they just made a solid foucault joke. this season is way better than last season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_D4rD0yCNI

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
before I get probated I saw a fight like that on the sidewalk

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I thought it was the Foucault Chomsky debate.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I thought it was the Foucault Chomsky debate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0cTvEVxIm8

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Beamed posted:

im looking for some big sprawling epic to throw on the tv. hopefully something character driven and poo poo that's Not Bad.

i mean, have you watched evangelion yet

-----

Content: watched Edge Of Tomorrow this afternoon. Goddamn, a surprisingly good movie? I did not expect much and was pleasantly surprised.

I was annoyed at first because I hate tom cruise....but then i realized that this is the PERFECT tom cruise movie if you loving hate tom cruise lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Achmed Jones posted:

Agreed, kind of glad this is the last season. It felt like they were going the arrested development route of just making variances of the jokes that were popular in the first couple seasons.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

-----

Content: watched Edge Of Tomorrow this afternoon. Goddamn, a surprisingly good movie? I did not expect much and was pleasantly surprised.

I was annoyed at first because I hate tom cruise....but then i realized that this is the PERFECT tom cruise movie if you loving hate tom cruise lmao

shouldn't you be playing with your guns???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59-8YSF9eUA

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
man thats a dumb axe to grind. one of my things is that i do gun memes now and then. Don't obsess over it, i certainly don't

-----
now downloading Gravity, heard that one was good too

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I'm watching Jackie brown for the first time and Jesus it's a fuckin foot shot

I thought this would've been before he got bold

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Jonny 290 posted:

-----

yeah that's why it's good

also it's a manga or something

but also c'mon i will beat this horse but it's one of the last things bill paxton was in

no need to go and watch the marvel comic universe television show about it and he's just a character actor but i liked him in aliens but also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEGQS7Ex_QY

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
You know why there's no foot scene in reservoir dogs right

the cast is 100% male

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Achmed Jones posted:

I'm watching Jackie brown for the first time and Jesus it's a fuckin foot shot

I thought this would've been before he got bold

yeah it's like the entire opening sequence lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if you are in a major role in a qt film and you are a woman, you will either show feet or get choked. it might be both

can you guess when i shut off inglourious basterds the last time i tried to watch it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it cannot be overstated how much of a phenomenon pulp fiction was. it made him hollywood royalty overnight, he could do anything

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah. in junior and senior year, in my little 35k pop lake town, if you went to a party, the hosts WOULD throw up PF at least once on their dads sweet rear projection tv. We felt so cool and cosmopolitan watching this WILD movie.

pulp fiction, NBK, uhhh some of my queer friends introduced us to gregg araki films, Clerks was a good standby....

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

haveblue posted:

it cannot be overstated how much of a phenomenon pulp fiction was. it made him hollywood royalty overnight, he could do anything

gently caress i just watched 21 toes of quentin tarantino and in the middle of getting bored by it uma thurman almost dies

and then he puts zoe oz on the hood of a car and i'm like this is fine but this scene with kurt russell sniffing foot in some movie i didn't watch was too much

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
c'mon have some respect for the institution that is kurt russell

the tron man

the loving villain in gog2?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i mean i just watched The Thing for the first time this week so kurt's all up in my frontal lobe

i mean we don't even need to bring up big trouble in little china

but we can

so i did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah. in junior and senior year, in my little 35k pop lake town, if you went to a party, the hosts WOULD throw up PF at least once on their dads sweet rear projection tv. We felt so cool and cosmopolitan watching this WILD movie.

pulp fiction, NBK, uhhh some of my queer friends introduced us to gregg araki films, Clerks was a good standby....
90s cinema had its share of problems, but id rank it miles ahead of our current wasteland of marvel cinematic universe entries, reboots, franchises, adaptations, and relaunches