Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Hafa Adai goons,

It's been a lovely year. I've been a self-absorbed bastard for most of it, and a couple of weeks ago I had a jarring moment of happiness - after helping someone in the smallest of ways. Seeing their face light up just felt amazing, and it made me remember how I used to be a better person.

Enter Leo. I'm scrolling down my facebook feed, and see my friend organizing a small fundraiser to get Christmas lights for the island of Yap. And you can see where I'm going with this, and you have questions.

Who's Leo? Where/What/Why Yap? Christmas lights?

Leo's a tattoo artist who does traditional Yapese art tattoos, and works at a local hotel to pay the rest of the bills. Normal guy, wants to do something special for the kids on the island for Christmas, since their primary exposure to Christmas is the US military doing toy drops, which is now going to be part of a Hallmark movie coming soon.

Yap is part of the Federated States of Micronesia, near Papua New Guinea and Guam. Way the hell on the other side of the planet from the US. It's where the giant stone money originated. It went through several colonial hands in the 20th century, eventually becoming part of a federation with a compact of free association with the US in the early 1980's. In the last couple years, it's been the target of Chinese investment/development and fishing, as US aid and interest has dwindled, though they're trying to combat it as best they can.

It's a magical place, if you ever get to visit. There's footpaths crisscrossing the main island between the villages, with these bright red mangrove crabs running all over the place. Lots of subsistence farming, taro especially. Gorgeous waters, the diving there is one of the best places to see manta rays. The people are easygoing and friendly - they have one major holiday, called Yap Day, March 1, where they do traditional dance and other cultural activities. If you googled it, yes, there's toplessness, and no, that's not a usual daily thing unless you're over 50.

Yap's gone through some poo poo recently. Other than the US funding decline, and tourism coming to an absolute halt due to covid, they had a grisly murder of their lone criminal prosecutor. I'd met Rachelle at a conference, she loved her work and the island, and it devastated everyone when she was gunned down. This island needs a spiritual boost.

So Leo set up a modest fundraiser to get Christmas lights to put on the Yap Living History Museum. It's at around $720 out of $2000, and it doesn't look like it's getting too much more. Plus, Christmas is coming up soon, and shipping things to Yap takes A Long While, though anything that comes in late will be put towards next Christmas and beyond. A big thank you to the mods for allowing this thread.

Which brings me to my pitch: first, please don't Doobie this up. Don't spend your kids' present money on this, don't skip rent or medical bills. This is not critical, life-saving work. This is just putting some smiles on the faces of kids you'll probably never meet. I'm not even telling Leo I'm doing this. I probably never will. I don't think he could even figure out who I am if someone sent him this post. The most I did was a 'post pics' suggestion after I donated, and I know he'll do that. Which I'll then post here. Honestly, I'd be thrilled if SA's efforts could crack $1k on it. I don't think he's expecting much more at this point:

So I'm posting the link below, with a one request - don't tell Leo what's happening. You could stay anonymous, or call yourself part of the Stone Money Appreciation Society, Doobie 2: Electric Lights Boogaloo, or anything funny you want, but just don't tip him off that we're doing this.

I was one of those goons that donated to Doobie after Noni made a great post about it, and even though things turned into a shitshow, I still remember the smile on my face seeing ol' Doobs completely gobsmacked about the donations. That was worth it, to me. The chance to do that with Leo and a bunch of Yapese kids was too tempting to pass up and pass along. The world could do with some smiles right about now.

https://gf.me/u/y4p6fw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Well I love Christmas lights, and making kids happy is just a bonus. So I threw $50 Leo’s way.

Mrs. Sexual
Feb 3, 2020
What does this mean?

Hafa Adai goons

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Mrs. Sexual posted:

What does this mean?

Hafa Adai goons

It’s a greeting, used in Guam, kind of like ‘aloha’. In Yapese it’d be ‘Mogethin’.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
going to assume its a regional greeting

e:fb

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Threw in 5bux :)

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Revins posted:

Threw in 5bux :)

Every bit counts, appreciate it :)

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
$25 to help out, good luck to your buddy and I hope that they get a nice surprise

Mrs. Sexual
Feb 3, 2020
Cool poo poo op!

https://youtu.be/6wa4lJ5ER78

Google that stuff

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
The Clark Griswold in me couldn't say no.

Neat project, in for $25

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Threw in a Grant for a good cause

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
Leo seems like a cool dude, threw him $50.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Stuck and will donate.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Donated and now we’re over $1000. Thanks OP!

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Im poor but a bump is the best I can do. Thanks for introducing me to the Yapese culture, and reminding the US still has an ounce of good left in it. I hope we get these guys some Christmas lights.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Donated:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Done, and spreading around to people I know who have been to/lived on/visited all those islands.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
This seems like a nice project for the era of Jeff, Will donate when not drunk and tired.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Thank you for the sticky, and awesome that we hit my goal already, you guys are awesome!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

threw in $25 for the stone money appreciation society, seems like a cool idea

and I genuinely appreciate stone money

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Threw in $25. Good luck to Leo, and here's hoping for a great Christmas in Yap!

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

threw in :10bux:, anything for a cheesehead

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Threw in a little bit.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I like this, I'll chip in $50.

E: Done. Haven't gotten a receipt yet but the donation number ticked up by 50.

EE: Here we go:

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 24, 2020

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Donated reg fees, this is too nice

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

i'm kinda super poor at the moment, so i can't really spare anything out of my budget, but this is super cool. great stuff, op!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The Godfundme guy shows up at the island to present the novelty check for our donations but instead of a novelty check it's a Rai stone the size of a house.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
If you raise way more than your goal, can you use the excess to build an Official Goon Guesthouse on Yap? I need a vacation.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

25 in, cool idea

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I'm turning Yapanese
I'm turning Yapanese
I really think so

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
e: didnt read

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I tossed 20 bucks in.

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

Found a way around it, tossed in ten bucks.

Mistaken Identity fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 19, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Donated 20$.

Thanks for this OP

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Before I became a goon I always wanted to travel to Yap.

Do you have any Yap money and would you post a pic of it?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

oh hey its over $1500 now!

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Before I became a goon I always wanted to travel to Yap.

Do you have any Yap money and would you post a pic of it?

I don't own any Yap money, it stays put - nobody really moves them anymore, they sit in these 'banks'. So ownership changes hands, for things like large land purchases or other traditional ceremonial stuff, but the stones stay in the same place.

One day and we're already doubling the total, I can't thank you guys enough!

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Chucked in a fiver, this is a sweet idea

Edit:I don't have a lot but this seemed good

NLJP fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 26, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Edit: wait, I'm a moron that didn't read the OP completely

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

A single act of carelessness leads to the eternal loss of beauty

Donated. Christmas lights make me happy.