Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
So I've been on a ghost show kick lately after not really watching any since the original Ghost Hunters like a decade ago.

Watching the newer stuff though I've noticed that whenever a team goes to a site and interviews the people there that claim to have witnessed something paranormal, almost always those encounters or sightings have occurred during the day. Yet when it comes to doing the actual investigation, the people running it always wait until the night and work in pitch blackness.

This seems counter-productive to me because first you can't see poo poo in the dark, which when the goal is to actually see something. that is always a problem. And second, low-light cameras have much worse capture quality so even if you do catch evidence on tape most of time it's too low res and washed out to actually examine properly.

Anyway, I guess the reasoning is that human ghosts are nocturnal like raccoons and only come out at night. Or maybe when you die you have to keep working a day-shift at the ghost factory and are not back home until after 8 pm or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

It's because it's all fake and those shows only exist for soccer moms to scare themselves so of course they have to do stuff at night cuz it's spookier.

The ghost hunters of course will tell you it's because spirits are more active at night but how would they know none of them have ever actually seen one.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Also, when did this SLS stick-figure camera poo poo become the default ghost searching tool?

I've seen it mentioned before that the technology is based on the XBox Kinect of all things which I guess is pretty haunted when you think about it.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Because ghost sex only happens at night, wtf kind of stupid question is this

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

because film permits for 2am are very affordable

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

It's because night is when your eyes and brain plays tricks on you. Kind of like being in a sensory deprivation chamber. You see branches rustling in the trees or maybe an elusive nocturnal animal and then "ZOINKS!" - especially if you've been gorging your brain on ghost stories all day. There is a reason why a lot of people are scared of the dark.

Maybe that's what these shows are trying to do. Or maybe they are trying to cover up the fact that they found nothing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Ghosts are nocturnal, OP.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Chomp8645 posted:

Ghosts are nocturnal, OP.

Yeah, every kid knows this. Have you never seen a ghost OP??

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
Seriously? Its because you cant see ghosts in sunlight, they are too transparent. How is this thread real in the year 2020??

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

You're just as likely to run into a ghost any time of the day, but by filming at night they may also find a vampire or werewolf.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

The same reason why every single human being alive prefers to have sex in the dark. Ghosts look ugly in the light.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Valko posted:

Maybe that's what these shows are trying to do. Or maybe they are trying to cover up the fact that they found nothing.

I think that's why I enjoyed Ghost Hunters the most. It was the most legitimate since they would spend all night at a location and never find poo poo besides maybe a bug light orb and maybe an unexplained knocking noise.

This was back in the original Jason and Grant days so I don't know what the more recent episodes were like.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 25, 2020

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
If you were a spirit wouldnt you want to chill in the night when you could be alone undisturbed?

Also 3am is witching hour. Blah blah, something to do with gravitational moon pull, and other paranormal explanations, if anyone wants to elaborate on this.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Vakal posted:

Also, when did this SLS stick-figure camera poo poo become the default ghost searching tool?

I've seen it mentioned before that the technology is based on the XBox Kinect of all things which I guess is pretty haunted when you think about it.

I once bought an Xbox One with haunted RAM

Vakal
May 11, 2008

zaepg posted:

If you were a spirit wouldnt you want to chill in the night when you could be alone undisturbed?

Hell truly is Zak Bagans and his crew showing up at your final resting place and yelling about cold spots all night.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Vampires don't exist I never meet one at the beach in the middle of the day :drac:

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Vakal posted:

I think that's why I enjoyed Ghost Hunters the most. It was the most legitimate since they would spend all night at a location and never find poo poo besides maybe a bug light orb and maybe an unexplained knocking noise.

This was back in the original Jason and Grant days so I don't know what the more recent episodes were like.

The only show of this type that I have watched is Destination Truth. I think you would like it too, Josh Gates seems like such a friendly wholesome guy. In fact - it's really more of a travel show than a paranormal investigation thing. They never really outright say it but they know they are never going to find hard evidence.

Meeting the Lobizon for the first time. (Argentinian werewolf).

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Well OP it's because there's no such thing as ghosts and thus they don't expect to ever actually find any. They film it at night because it's more effective to have a producer off-camera flick a light switch on and off and bang on walls because of our evolved fear of the dark.

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

that kinect thing always makes me laugh. It always looks like a dude doing a merry jig. Just some happy rear end ghosts getting down in this old hospital.

Ghost investigators always make me roll my eyes when they try to be scientific about it. Stop trying to pretend it's science, it is not. Just show me the orbs and the recordings of spooky thumpings from another floor that are absolutely not rats or raccoons in this abandoned building. And stop it with the psychics oh my god.

Buzzfeed unsolved: supernatural is pretty good though, I wish more of these shows had a duo of like 'guy who believes' and 'guy who is absolutely not a believer but is super amused his friend is'

Skratte fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 25, 2020

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

this is the only good evp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veZAv2kzViI

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
Most ghosts have day jobs. Haunting is more of a hobby.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
There was a time when I found these shows mildly entertaining, now I just find them infuriatingly stupid.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
because they suck

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Anyone with Amazon Prime I recommend checking out the "A Haunting on..." series they have on there made by rapper Steven 'Prozak' Shippy.

gently caress mundane stuff like EVPs and cold spots. Every one of the episodes includes multiple full body apparitions caught on video as well as so many shots of drawers and doors opening and closing by themselves that they barely even comment on them.

It's pretty wild.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
this one is kinda in the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3Dso2m-zU4

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Cuz that's when the ghosts come out. They're nocturnal like bats and desert foxes.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Vakal posted:

Hell truly is Zak Bagans and his crew showing up at your final resting place and yelling about cold spots all night.

Ghosts come out at night because humans are annoying as poo poo. And gently caress them all.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
plasma is harder to see in the daylight

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
floodlights are cheaper than low light cameras, but strangely no ghost hunters ever use them. i can't imagine why.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Vakal posted:

Anyone with Amazon Prime I recommend checking out the "A Haunting on..." series they have on there made by rapper Steven 'Prozak' Shippy.

gently caress mundane stuff like EVPs and cold spots. Every one of the episodes includes multiple full body apparitions caught on video as well as so many shots of drawers and doors opening and closing by themselves that they barely even comment on them.

It's pretty wild.

Is it all, in your opinion, faked?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Looking through this giant list of paranormal TV shows on Wikipedia it seems they all used to be documentary-style shows where they interviewed witnesses and sometimes did staged re-enactments but the "running around a spooky location with a handheld camera in the dark and freaking out because you heard a noise" reality TV format might have started with a gameshow called MTV's Fear where they left contestants in a 'haunted' location and made them do dares at night and whoever completed the challenges without chickening out won a cash prize at the end.

The show was apparently really popular but was taken off the air because it cost too much to produce, since I guess they had to have a whole team behind the scenes to install cameras all over the abandoned buildings for the additional footage and set up the dormitory 'safe room' for the contestants to sleep during the day and run the gameshow challenges in real time in the middle of the night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX0Wfwqbf34

I guess some wily producer realized that what made the show so successful was the audience identifying with the 'investigators' as they freaked the gently caress out alone in the dark but there was also a much much cheaper way of filming that stuff but still providing the same vicarious scares and the paranormal investigator format was born.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vakal posted:

It's pretty wild.

There's a bunch of bigfoot/monster hunting shows just like that as well. The original "Finding Bigfoot" show ran for nine entire seasons and never ever got any actual evidence of bigfoot (and the online bigfoot hunting community were VERY angry about that, LOL) but there's a bunch of hilariously cheap knock-off shows like "Mountain Monsters" where they always have a close encounter with whatever they're chasing (and it's always coincidentally just off camera) so they can run around the woods with their guns shouting THEY'RE ALL AROUND US!! and THEY'VE GOT US PINNED DOWN IN THIS GULLY!! WE'RE SITTING DUCKS!! and WHERE'S BUCK??!? IT GOT BUCK!! BUUUUUCK!!!! and occasionally they'd even successfully "catch" the "monster" they were chasing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykeY29FOcBg

Also they had a Twitter feud with the Finding Bigfoot guys, LOL
https://twitter.com/TrapperWV/status/592899613910237184

In the final two seasons this show turned into a supernatural soap opera with members of the team betraying each other and a spooky organisation sabotaging their efforts and past monsters returning to get revenge, except none of the cast are actual actors so it was like a high school drama class production

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Squatchin' with Drew

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Wasn't there some ghost hunting show, Paranormal Home Inspectors, that the gimmick was they'd bring in a licensed home inspector to look for mundane explanations to spooky stuff? "Whenever I sit in this chair, I get an eerie chill..." "Well that's probably because it's sitting on an AC vent." "Oh, but once in a while all the lights in the house mysteriously flicker" "The subway's going by and that's making a weird surge in the transformer due to your bad poorly insulated wiring." "But what about the nausea and headaches when I go in the basement, like something terrible happened there?" "Carbon monoxide leak, you should probably have that checked out."

I think it was framed that he was like, the villain of the show and would get shot down by the rest of the spiritualist mega-kooks in the cast trying to dunk on him.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

You gotta love whenever something “legitimately” happens in real time and one of the paranormal investigators gets scared out of their wits in front of another investigator’s camera, because they’ll go back and check the first investigator’s camera and WHOA THE SPIRIT DRAINED THE CAMERA BATTERY TO MANIFEST ITSELF AND KILLED THE CAMERA BEFORE THE MANIFESTATION COULD BE CAPTURED.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Asterite34 posted:

Wasn't there some ghost hunting show, Paranormal Home Inspectors, that the gimmick was they'd bring in a licensed home inspector to look for mundane explanations to spooky stuff?

Yep:

Jenny Nicholson did a video about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wG9m-eYNiM

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

gently caress Ray. Ghosts never give me blowjobs.

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011

Vakal posted:

A woman I used to work with was really big into ghost hunting as a hobby and once showed me the SLS camera she used. She got real quiet, asked me to shut the door to her office, and then admitted with a straight face that a ghost had recently proceeded to try and put its dick in her mouth during her last outing. She shared some "footage" and the camera did indeed display a stick figure hovering crotch height right at her mouth.

Pulvis Sumus fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 25, 2020

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.
I don’t know OP why do Ghosts wear clothes? Wouldn’t you not care when you’re dead? Isn’t a ghostly naked dude scampering around a warehouse spookier than a clothed one? Zak Bagans walks around the corner to find two legs and a butt dangling out of the ceiling oh nooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Ghosts of clothing have to forever wander the world of the living too you know