Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Che is on fire tonight

edit: I don't know if the drugs are just hitting really right tonight but this has been a really good episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
What SNL does best: Laying out the reference they’re about to make so everyone sure gets the joke

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Everything is absolutely legal if you sing it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I like the energy but this has gone on too long

edit: alright seriously just put Maya in the intro for this year

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 25, 2020

pwn
May 27, 2004

Meanwhile, Lauren Holt has appeared in one sketch tonight

Edit: Ok I guess I spoke too soon. Honestly it was a fine sketch. I mean, it HAD an ending.

pwn fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 25, 2020

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

pwn posted:

Meanwhile, Lauren Holt has appeared in one sketch tonight

Punkie Johnson is also still hypothetically employed in Studio 6H

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
"I'm basically a pet..."

pwn
May 27, 2004

The clearest shot yet of Jimmy’s 6B studio

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

lol they wrote this to make Adele break

edit: I think this is one of the horniest sketches I've seen on SNL

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 25, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think I completely tuned out of this one until the breaking started.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
That was great!

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Candiru posted:

I feel like Hartman's Sinatra trying to figure out what Adele is saying.

Christ, thanks, I thought it was just me.

pwn
May 27, 2004

End SARS, poo poo why didn’t we think of that one?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

pwn posted:

End SARS, poo poo why didn’t we think of that one?

I may be getting wooshed here but in this case SARS is basically Nigeria's SWAT equivalent and people in Nigeria have been protesting police brutality there, so it is not about the massive pandemic

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Also, late thought, but they really swung and missed by not turning "YMCA" into "we're gonna give you a D-M-C-A!"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Beck Bennett is outstanding

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Probably thought about it but worried a lot of people don’t know what a DMCA is.

Anyway, I’ve quite enjoyed this episode hosted by Maya Rudolph.

pwn
May 27, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

I may be getting wooshed here but in this case SARS is basically Nigeria's SWAT equivalent and people in Nigeria have been protesting police brutality there, so it is not about the massive pandemic

No no it is in fact I who was wooshed, thank you for the info

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
gently caress yeah long outro :sax:

pwn
May 27, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Probably thought about it but worried a lot of people don’t know what a DMCA is.

No problem, just include a 20-second explanation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act along with the video and explanation of Trump dancing before starting the sketch :)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

pwn posted:

No problem, just include a 20-second explanation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act along with the video and explanation of Trump dancing before starting the sketch :)

Holt can pretend to be Lindsey Ellis and read wolf erotica to explain it all... :colbert:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I’m starting to wonder if Maya Rudolph was just quarantining in 8H and when Lorne found her he decided to put her to work.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Has Cecily shown up at all? Has Aidy been on side from being in the middle of a field?

Africa was fantastic and is up there near Debbie Downer at Disney in terms of the quality of break.

I thought 2019 Psychic was good.

This was the best of the debate sketches but boy am I getting tired of them.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
https://twitter.com/mulaney/status/1320217541957046272?s=20

:hmmyes:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Mr. Powers posted:

Has Cecily shown up at all? Has Aidy been on side from being in the middle of a field?

Africa was fantastic and is up there near Debbie Downer at Disney in terms of the quality of break.

I thought 2019 Psychic was good.

This was the best of the debate sketches but boy am I getting tired of them.

Apparently Cecily is filming another TV show for the first few episodes and starting last week Aidy's off shooting Shrill which means she's only gonna be in some pre-tapes. This has got to be the last season for the two of them, they're basically checked out as it is. in that vein, here's an interesting statistic I picked up a few weeks ago, in an article talking about how the fact that SNL is relying on guests for their political sketches is actually a plus for the cast members:

In the year 2000, Tim Meadows left the cast of SNL as the longest ever tenured repertory player, having spent 10 seasons on the show. Now, if we include this current season, 4 out of the top 12 are currently in the cast. Obviously Kenan is the longest by a long shot (this is year 18!), and following him is Darrell Hammond with 14, and after him is Fred Armisen with 11 seasons. After Armisen, however, you have Kate McKinnon, who has tied Meadows with 10. And then you have Aidy and Cecily each with 9, tying Bobby Moynahan, Jason Suidekis, Kevin Nealon and Maya Rudolph (assuming they don't just tack her back onto the cast at some point this year).

So where 20 years ago the idea of someone staying for almost a decade was a rarity, we now have a bunch of people getting close to that marker. So where in years past (especially pre-2000), people like Chris Redd or Heidi Gardner or Mikey Day would at this point be carrying the show having been on the cast for 4-5 years, they're still just very small parts of a massive whole, the biggest cast in the show's history. They're also not helped by shorter run times (this is speculation, I assume episodes now have more ads than they did in the past, just like regular network TV) and more emphasis on guests who aren't the host (this is obvious, right now they're dedicating the first 8-10 minutes of the show to a sketch that may feature 10-15% of the actual cast, and there's no guarantee that will stop after the election). Most obviously you can see that in the featured players, who as of right now are currently lucky if they get into one sketch in a given show (and generally not as a main character), but I feel like the people who are suffering the most from this are some of those mid-tier cast members like Redd or Melissa Villasenor.

My guess is that this year is very much a holding pattern year where they've stocked up because COVID has rendered things still very much up in the air. I don't think anyone's gonna die or anything but with the possibility of anyone having to take a 1-2 week sit, and the very live nature of the show still being incredibly tenuous, they really didn't want to get rid of anyone just to keep their options open. I feel like next year will see a mass exit the likes of which we haven't seen in a while:

*Like I said, Aidy and Cecily are already halfway out the door and probably will have much more interesting things to do.
*I would say the same about Kate McKinnon because of how talented she is, and she ought to have offers filling up her inbox, but people have been saying that for a while, so it's possible that she truly loves the show and wants to stay longer. I think Bill Hader is a good comparison point for her, but she's now been around longer than Hader so I don't know. She's definitely got a Barry in her if she wants to take that shot.
*I think it's really easy to pencil Kenan in for next year but he is making a sitcom on Peacock, so maybe he's trading in one cushy TV job for another.
*Beck reminds me of Phil Hartman in how the show uses him and I feel like he's got a few more years in him yet, and the combo of Jost/Che are finally a truly reliable Update desk (although I wouldn't ever want to run into either of them outside of the show) that isn't in need of adjustment.
*Kyle Mooney will probably stick around as long as Beck is there if Lorne will have him.
*Pete... man I dunno. He's obviously got plenty to do when he's around but he's also seemed like the one who most would rather be doing something else. His big shot at starring in a feature film sort of popped with the pandemic moving King of Staten Island to VOD, but he's also got a couple of movies that have just been announced so I could see him trying to finally leave the nest after this year.

And then you have everyone else. Normally 4 or 5 years would be a point where cast members might consider leaving even if they've been fairly successful but it would be crazy to see Day/Moffat/Villasenor/Redd/Gardner to go before they've really had a chance to be stars (not that all 5 of them will get that chance; I think Gardner has the ability to carry the show most out of that group), but if a majority of the people I listed above decide to take their leave, we could see a very different show next year. I don't think they'll do any more or less hiring than usual; we'll probably see 2-3 new hires, particularly someone who can do a Biden because I assume that the Jim Carrey thing isn't gonna last and I'm currently not going to think about what might happen if Biden loses because we'll all have a whole lot more things to worry about than who is getting cast on SNL. I think this will probably be the biggest change since 2013, where Suidekis, Hader and Armisen all took their leave (plus Tim Robinson ended his single year, thus joining the illustrious list of people who SNL wasted)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I think that's a case of correlation being taken as causation. I'd imagine people staying longer is a mix of; 1. Lorne just getting softer in his old age, even 10-15 years ago Lorne was pretty cutthroat in his '2 years to make your mark or you're out' policy. Who were the last people fired from the show? Pharoah and Killam? And that was apparently a mix of them not asking permission to film other shows and general lovely attitudes clashing with the new head writer and cast members. 2. Fewer opportunities outside the show, Hollywood is just generally making fewer straight up comedies since they're actually more expensive than a $200M action movie. Those types of movies used to be the main vehicle for comedians to get wider status. If any of those movies McKinnon co-starred in were actually successful I'm sure she'd have been gone by now. That avenue seems to be shifting over to prestige streaming comedy series, but those typically have a 3-4 season shelf life at best due to budgetary reasons. Maybe Netflix will start expanding it's comedy movies past Sandler now that Covid is changing the equations for the movie industry.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

DC Murderverse posted:

we'll probably see 2-3 new hires, particularly someone who can do a Biden because I assume that the Jim Carrey thing isn't gonna last
A lot of reasonable analysis but I don't know about this part because after 4+ years of Baldwin Trump we now know a mediocre celebrity impression can continue indefinitely

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Sivart13 posted:

A lot of reasonable analysis but I don't know about this part because after 4+ years of Baldwin Trump we now know a mediocre celebrity impression can continue indefinitely

Carrey’s career isn’t floundering like Baldwin’s. The only things that Alec has done recently that have been successful are the SNL spots and hosting Match Game. Carrey hasn’t been doing a whole lot but I think he’s a much bigger movie draw still.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Adele is so charming and I'm annoyed at myself that I've slept on H.E.R. for so long.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Shneak posted:

Adele is so charming

I couldn't agree more. I've never seen interviews or anything else she may have done, just her music.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

DC Murderverse posted:

(Tim Robinson ended his single year, thus joining the illustrious list of people who SNL wasted)

I'd kill to know how much of what ended up on ITYSL was pitched at SNL when he was there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lorne just didn’t have what’s needed to run with the turbo team.

pwn
May 27, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

*I think it's really easy to pencil Kenan in for next year but he is making a sitcom on Peacock, so maybe he's trading in one cushy TV job for another.

I would love to see him hang in a bit longer to make it an even 20 years.

DC Murderverse posted:

They're also not helped by shorter run times (this is speculation, I assume episodes now have more ads than they did in the past, just like regular network TV)

:goonsay: actually four years ago the show expanded the runtime from 65:30 to 69 (nice) minutes by trimming out 3:30 of commercials. Remember that they're offsetting this by having sponsored sketches? Like World's Biggest Cheeto from the S45 premiere, Sam Adams (Bill Burr,) eBay* (Issa Rae,) and so on.

DC Murderverse posted:

Obviously Kenan is the longest by a long shot (this is year 18!)

I started watching this show in 1992, with season 18. Kenan has officially been on the show the same length of time as between the show's premiere and when I started watching it.

I... I need to sit down. :corsair:

*Boring Fact: The eBay pretape was originally in the rundown for the Burr live show, but cut.

pwn fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 27, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the dunkin one with casey affleck was pretty decent product placement

pwn
May 27, 2004

:spooky: you gonna get spooky hyped :spooky:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvY8tH-0s8g

:ghost: you can't escape the ghostly Thursday promos :ghost:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X2zOZ-c_RQ

Yeah, big night, big fourth time for Mulaney on SNL in as many seasons. As noted last week, this is the second wallop of his one-two punch this year - hosting SNL's first-ever Leap Day episode near the end of last year right before lockdown, now hosting SNL's first Halloween show in 28 years, back in 1992, when Catherine O'Hara and those 10,000 Maniacs took the haunted 8H stage. Tonight is also the first time the show has ever done five live shows consecutively, and next week will be six. And it's a Full Moon tonight... a blue moon :ok:

As Ego notes in the promo, we're all in this mess because of Mulaney. Will he bring back the musical number thing? Should he? Whatever happens, it's gonna be enjoyable.

And hey, what's everyone's favorite parts of the show? Those amazing 13-minute political cold opens! So Monday night at 10/9c, NBC gives you an hour of that poo poo!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYrqQGhZsTU

And tonight's Vintage: Dana Carvey with The Wallflowers from October 21, 2000, that year's final pre-election episode and also obviously their Halloween show for the year. One thing that confused me for years, is how this episode oddly echoes the November 2 1996 episode hosted by Chris Rock, right before the election, with guest star Dana Carvey, and musical guest... The goddamned Wallflowers. To this day, I have to look up what show I'm thinking of when recalling a sketch from one or the other.

pwn fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 1, 2020

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Polls are the scariest, Jack.

At least it wasn't The Bing Bang Theory.

Zeluth fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 1, 2020

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Oh thank God, they kept it brief

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mulaney just slayed

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
gently caress the olds hell yeah

Adbot