Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
https://yt-dl.org/

Some things I know off of the top of my head:

- While it's called Youtube-dl, it is specifically coded to work with HUNDREDS of streaming services (including cable TV channels), Facebook, Twitter, etc., and can download video streams for offline viewing via the command line. (You have to log in with legit credentials to any site that requires logins to access.)

- Hundreds of people contributed to the project over the past several years.

- A number of people who have contributed to the project (including people who haven't worked on it for quite some time) have gotten cease and desist letters.

- The takedown is coming from both German and USA based sources, but mainly the RIAA.

- The takedown seems to be focusing on some code that gets around some URL obfuscation that YouTube uses for various music videos and such, which is kind of a stretch AFAIK calling that a "protection" in the same way CSS is to a DVD for example.

- The latest version (9.20.2020) is still available from yt-dl.org and other mirrors and mostly works. But, it will stop working as Google and other sources move their codebase around. Youtube-dl was very reliable, but only because it had hundreds of active contributors constantly fixing it as YouTube and other sites change their code.

This is bad and lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
One hour twenty minute long stream from a lawyer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZITscblMBA

So far I learned that there is an actual rarely used HTTP code 451, "unavailable for legal reasons." The 451 is from Fahrenheit 451, a novel about book burning.

Bula Vinaka fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 25, 2020

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
This is really bad news.

I hope development of it will continue, I use it very regularly..

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

HalloKitty posted:

This is really bad news.

I hope development of it will continue, I use it very regularly..

I've seen a number of mirrors pulled and re-hosted already, if you search "Youtube-DL" on twitter they are available from reputable folks.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

bus hustler posted:

I've seen a number of mirrors pulled and re-hosted already, if you search "Youtube-DL" on twitter they are available from reputable folks.

plus you can still apt-get it from repositories and 'pip3 install youtube-dl' and 'pip3 download youtube-dl' if you want the entire package.

The issue is when youtube changes the cipher in someway, there is not going to be a fix.

I would have thought it would be on the Norwegian GitLab already but I think that is owned by Atlassian.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I suspect this will go about as well for the RIAA as trying to take down deCSS and the AACS keys went for the film industry. The only question is which non-US provider they'll use for project hosting.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
It'll also have to be non-EU, circumventing copy protection isn't legal there either.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
The two main commercial DVD/Blu-Ray/4K disc decrypting programs are Redfox AnyDVD, and DVDFab. Those definitely violate the DMCA.

Redfox's servers are located in Belize, and DVDFab's servers are located in Russia. (At least, their IP's resolve to those countries... their physical servers may be located elsewhere.)

I do remember that Redfox used to be called Slysoft and was located in Antigua. The story I remember is the USA started putting pressure on Antigua to do something about a number of "grey area" businesses that were being run there, including Slysoft, and the owner closed it down. The developers decided to continue on and moved everything to Belize.

DVDFab is Chinese and they used to be located in China. I don't remember the whole story but their domain got seized and they came back a little bit later on a new domain. I'm not sure where they moved to and from but their domain ended up in Russia.

Those are both commercial products and they had problems getting payments to be processed by MasterCard and VISA. Both had times when credit card purchases weren't an option. Both currently do have credit card payments available.

RedFox in fact just released "AnyStream" which can direct save (not screen capture) 1080p/5.1 streams from Netflix and Amazon Prime (with legit logins), and they're planning on adding more.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
How is this any different then opening a YouTube stream in vlc, looking at the Metadata and getting the file url and then saving that file?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

zer0spunk posted:

How is this any different then opening a YouTube stream in vlc, looking at the Metadata and getting the file url and then saving that file?

That's an overly complex way of using youtube-dl - I'm almost certain vlc just uses youtube-dl in the background

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

HalloKitty posted:

That's an overly complex way of using youtube-dl - I'm almost certain vlc just uses youtube-dl in the background

It's super simple. I was looking for ways to save a YouTube vid without having to install anything and it turns out vlc could do it. Open the stream as a new stream then check the file info in vlc, copy paste the link into a browser and save as. I think most people who use vlc have no idea this is a thing, I definitely didn't

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

zer0spunk posted:

It's super simple. I was looking for ways to save a YouTube vid without having to install anything and it turns out vlc could do it. Open the stream as a new stream then check the file info in vlc, copy paste the link into a browser and save as. I think most people who use vlc have no idea this is a thing, I definitely didn't

I just tried that with a 4K video and the URL it gave me is only 720p

I think only the older stream formats can be downloaded by a direct URL

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

repiv posted:

I just tried that with a 4K video and the URL it gave me is only 720p

I think only the older stream formats can be downloaded by a direct URL

Yeah looks like they changed something since the last time I grabbed it through vlc. I guess it's good I know in advance but bummer. Wonder how long the 720p fallback will still work

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
This about as stupid as the book industry making legal threats on copy machines

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Not only is it still mirrored on their own site and still available but it got me to learn about newpipe and now I'm using that. Great job riaa.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

The DeCSS-style Streisand effect seems to be in full force, though I suppose the longer term effect of it hamstringing development vs. just making it "unavailable" is probably what they were going for. I had almost forgotten the RIAA existed.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Some links, all "unofficial":

https://github.com/l1ving/youtube-dl
Part of the problem was that the official Github had actual copyrighted content in some of the test and documentation folders. The above clone removes those.

https://source.netsyms.com/Mirrors/youtube-dl/
A clone/mirror from a guy who says he owns the actual server that's hosting it and that the RIAA can't touch him. (Not sure about that since it's located in the USA.)

https://gitlab.com/nephros/youtube-dl/-/tree/master
Gitlab clone/mirror.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

The maintainer of youtube-dlc which is a fork that includes more community patches put their repo right back up as yt-dlc. They removed the test cases that referenced copyrighted content and I haven't seen a single repo that actually included copyrighted media, only references to downloading it.

https://github.com/blackjack4494/yt-dlc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
The RIAA letter says in part,

quote:

We also note that the source code prominently includes as sample uses of the source code the downloading of copies of our members’ copyrighted sound recordings and music videos, as noted in Exhibit A hereto. For example, as shown on Exhibit A, the source code expressly suggests its use to copy and/or distribute the following copyrighted works owned by our member companies:

• Icona Pop – I Love It (feat. Charli XCX) [Official Video], owned by Warner Music Group
• Justin Timberlake – Tunnel Vision (Explicit), owned by Sony Music Group
• Taylor Swift – Shake it Off, owned/exclusively licensed by Universal Music Group

The source code notes that the Icona Pop work identified above is under the YouTube Standard license, which expressly restricts access to copyrighted works only for streaming on YouTube and prohibits their further reproduction or distribution without consent of the copyright owner; that the Justin Timberlake work identified above is under an additional age protection identifier; and that the request for the Taylor Swift work identified above is to obtain, without authorization of the copyright owner or YouTube, an M4A audio file from the audiovisual work in question.

This sort of reminds me when the RIAA came down on commercial Usenet providers in the early 00's. It was basically about how a lot of the providers would have marketing verbiage on their websites along the lines of "Download 10 songs at once", "Download your favorite mp3's in half the time," and make references to specific binary Usenet groups like alt.binaries.mp3. I can't remember all the details but I know there were legal threats involved, and afterwards commercial Usenet providers changed their marketing verbiage. It was basically about how they were "too encouraging" of users to feel it's perfectly OK to download copyrighted content, or it at least creates a mindset that sharing copyrighted mp3's was no big deal. Indeed, that was a time when even SA had mp3 and bittorrent forums. That's what I think is going on here as well.