Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Jack B Nimble posted:

Pc gamer has a preview up, basically says it's joining Genhsin Impact in the burgeoning genre of highly capable Breath of the Wild clones. Personally, the weapon aesthetics were just a bit much for me, but it does look promising.

I'm be interested in it if it's not joining Genshin Impact in the burgeoning genre of f2p jobs masquerading as a game genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Isn't it supposed to be just a normal game with only "normal" Ubisoft levels of cashshop? I watched Alpharad's video but it basically looked like he hated it, even if the Zeus and Prometheus Statler and Waltdorf was pretty fun.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Jimbot posted:

Anyone check out that huge swath of Immortals Fenyx Rising previews that came out yesterday? I'm honestly more excited for that game than I am for Valhalla. It looks like it just oozes personality and has this weird Fable-like whimsy to it that I like.

Someone mentioned it in *shocker* the BotW thread. It runs in my web browser? That's weird oh wait no there's a bump out app.

I don't hate the whimsical relationship between Zeus and Prometheus. The guy who is right by divine right versus the guy who is actually correct but chained to a rock for eternity.

Not sure about the gameplay or how open the world is yet I seem to just be following errands right now.

Worth every penny so far though.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
yeah Fenyx Rising basically looks like a more cartoony AC:Odyssey, which I am down for. The inventory / abilities screen etc. look basically identical.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Someone mentioned it in *shocker* the BotW thread. It runs in my web browser? That's weird oh wait no there's a bump out app.

That's just the Stadia demo. I tried it but Stadia still sucks - loads of input lag, blurry image, low fps.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jimbot posted:

Anyone check out that huge swath of Immortals Fenyx Rising previews that came out yesterday? I'm honestly more excited for that game than I am for Valhalla. It looks like it just oozes personality and has this weird Fable-like whimsy to it that I like.

yeah i am gonna pick it up. Its odysseys combat system plus BOTW. so it looks good.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
It's funny bc genshin impact isn't massive because of its specific similarities to this or that game or genre

It's massive because it's like an actual legitimately good single player game with huge production values that is actually no-poo poo free

Executives of course appear to not understand this at all

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Simone Magus posted:

It's funny bc genshin impact isn't massive because of its specific similarities to this or that game or genre

It's massive because it's like an actual legitimately good single player game with huge production values that is actually no-poo poo free

Executives of course appear to not understand this at all

is it good? like i could give less of a gently caress about the story because i am sure its weird anime whatever but is the combat and etc fun. is it an MMO?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It is fantastic.

Regarding the MMO-ness, nah its essentially a traditionally single player game, itd be like if destiny only had opt in co OP with a team, no "random" people populating the city or open world.

Esit: It's 99.9% entirely single player unless you really really want to co op with a friend.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

It is fantastic.

Regarding the MMO-ness, nah its essentially a traditionally single player game, itd be like if destiny only had opt in co OP with a team, no "random" people populating the city or open world.

ok. well i will give it a shot. can i make a character or am i always little 1000 year old girl or Big tit anime lady.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You don't make a character but the anime isn't too bad, and I say that as someone who was worried about that. It's not very sexual.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

You don't make a character but the anime isn't too bad, and I say that as someone who was worried about that. It's not very sexual.

makes sense. i wasnt afraid it would sexual its just anime isnt my thing outside poo poo i watched as kid.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Dapper_Swindler posted:

is it good? like i could give less of a gently caress about the story because i am sure its weird anime whatever but is the combat and etc fun. is it an MMO?

Oh it's incredibly good, the combat is snappy and switching between characters to make big explosions and numbers feels awesome

It's very very generous with rolls. Admittedly I got super lucky and got literally 3 of the most sought after characters in my first few free rolls, but all the characters are viable to beat the story and they're all funny or cool or interesting in some way

Only a few are big titty witches but one of those owns hard because she calls herself Prinzessen der Something and has a sarcastic dragon familiar

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol apparently the reason Fenyx got its awful name change from Gods & Monsters is because Monster Energy complained

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Dapper_Swindler posted:

makes sense. i wasnt afraid it would sexual its just anime isnt my thing outside poo poo i watched as kid.

I tried it cos I had a friend raving about it, I found the world design cool, the combat with all the element-mixing really loving cool and surprisingly deep, but I really struggled with the anime-ness of the characters. It basically stopped me from playing it tbh.

Sakurazuka posted:

Lol apparently the reason Fenyx got its awful name change from Gods & Monsters is because Monster Energy complained

How in the gently caress :psyduck:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Is Monster Energy trying to take Monster Cables' shtick?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
This has comfirmed my vague feeling that all kinds of titles have been getting worse recently.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i tried it for a few hours. the combat is ok. the characters/cutscenes are horrible but at least skippable. it doesnt really bring anything new or interesting to the table really. didnt really draw me in at all and i ended up deleting it after not very long

however i will say its pretty good for a free game and while it wasnt my thing, at no point did i feel pressured to spend money on anything or that important content/gameplay was gated off or anything like that. but then maybe i just didnt get far enough for that to matter

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 24, 2020

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've not played Genshin myself yet but from what I hear, the money gate doesn't really kick in until endgame, when you need to spend money to have enough stamina to play for more than 10 minutes a day. But you can play up until then (15-20 hours I'm told) perfectly for free and never feel gimped for not spending money.

So ultimately it's a 15 hour game that you can reach the end of for free and then stop playing, which is honestly a pretty good deal

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's no money gate and no real endgame right now because only two of the seven planned areas are actually implemented at the moment and the story quests end at adventure level 29 out of a potential 60 and you can do all that without spending a single dollar. You just play til you run out of stuff to do then stop until they add more.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Jack B Nimble posted:

Esit: It's 99.9% entirely single player unless you really really want to co op with a friend.

You are technically correct. However, the game really wants you to remember it's F2P. There are pointless timers on everything. There's stamina for daily rewards. There are daily log-in bonuses. There are 20 types of currencies obfuscating how much value you get from spending your money.

I personally find all of this more irritating than paying. For me, it feels more stressful than my daily job. The game constantly reminds you that you need to log in to not lose a mythical value, that you have limited time to do timed events and so on. It might be a psychological issue. I like the game and I'd probably pay full price for a version of that game that just cuts off all the F2P stuff and its repercussions. If you don't feel like that about F2P games I'm sure you'd have a great time with it. It is well done.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://twitter.com/gameinformer/status/1319746448989261824?s=19

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

vinland saga loving owns

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

ilitarist posted:

You are technically correct. However, the game really wants you to remember it's F2P. There are pointless timers on everything. There's stamina for daily rewards. There are daily log-in bonuses. There are 20 types of currencies obfuscating how much value you get from spending your money.

You're making it sound orders of magnitude worse than it is. The timers only run out if you play like 8 hours a day. If you like the game enough to play it that much, you probably SHOULD pay a little. Artists deserve money.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Genshin is a fine free game. It’s very grindy after the start and would be a massive disappointment as a paid single player game. I expect a lot more from fenyx rising or w/e it’s called now.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Simone Magus posted:

You're making it sound orders of magnitude worse than it is. The timers only run out if you play like 8 hours a day. If you like the game enough to play it that much, you probably SHOULD pay a little. Artists deserve money.

As I've said, I'd gladly pay. But I'm talking about timers on crafting and cooking and stuff. They start at 5 seconds but quickly raise to 20 minutes, I'm sure it's more after that. Why is it there? So that you go around grind waiting for something instead of exploring to have fun

And if you pay for the game you get some sort of pass that gives out goodies every day if you log in. Again, fun game is spoiled by being turned into a job. There's no "turn off the bullshit" payment like you can often see even in predatory mobile games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Crafting barely matters, the only thing you can make with it are weapon level up mats, which you get a million of anyway, and turning prototype weapons into four-stars and that's instant. Cooking is also instant you just have to play a minigame until you master the recipe. Refining some ingredients does take time but you just set them off and do something else it's not like you have to sit a watch them. I dunno why it's not instant though since it's such a minor spect of the game.
The biggest bottleneck is the stuff you have to spend to grind dungeons and bosses.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Yeah you shouldn't ever run down timers just doing story stuff

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
"timers in games, break peoples brains". Some old viking wisdom :eng101:

e]dude that is the normal stuff....

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 25, 2020

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
Okay I keep hearing about this Genshin game and how its anime but not weird sexual overt anime so I looked at a stream of it for a few minutes and it was literally a French maid being yelled at by some kind of high-pitched fairy

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

"not weird sexual overt anime" means that most hero look like suggestively dressed teens, not suggestively dressed children.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Kassandra is great and all but there's nothing in Odyssey as viscerally satisfying as doing the underground fight clubs as Evie. The people who did the many, many different brutal bare handed kills deserve a lot of credit

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Simone Magus posted:

Kassandra is great and all but there's nothing in Odyssey as viscerally satisfying as doing the underground fight clubs as Evie. The people who did the many, many different brutal bare handed kills deserve a lot of credit

I've realised my real problem with the Odyssey protagonists is that in every other AC game the player character feels like a real person doing things a real person could plausibly do if they were at the peak of physical fitness and had years of training and experience (yeah Edward's bullshitting with the hidden blade, but everything else is just pirate skills). Odyssey is where we go 'nah a real person couldn't do any of this, the PC is magic' and it breaks my suspension of disbelief.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Hate to break it to you but real people can't lift themselves with fingers in the cracks of buildings. Or jump a couple of stores down into hay while wearing metal armor and a sword at their hip.

Sure, Odyssey hero just casts magic with expansion abilities. But before that, I struggle to remember anything they can do that is as outrageous as what we take for granted in this series.

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009

ilitarist posted:

Hate to break it to you but real people can't lift themselves with fingers in the cracks of buildings.

Theres an actual climbing sport called crack climbing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu3oHu42J4s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18v8hRj-C7w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkazpmf7Qlg

JuHoZ fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Oct 25, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Undoubtedly there are people who commit their entire professional lives and training regimen toward crack climbing but it's always been unrealistic for someone like Edward Kenway to be a low-level privateer AND apparently the greatest free soloer in colonial history.

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009
But his fingers are like fish hooks! :pirate:

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I think its fair to say that you can suspend your disbelief for actions that would take someone being at PEAK PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE and even a little bit beyond that, but be put off by the straight up magic in Odyssey. When Isu tech turned up in earlier games it was very much end game stuff and often came with the implication that messing with knowledge beyond your ken could come with terrible consequences, whereas the spear of Leonidus is pretty much just a magic weapon. Of course any real issues with this are going to be a matter of taste.

Honestly I think the biggest issue with the bigger commitment to fantasy stylings is that its still stuck with the albatross around the neck that is the modern day/Isu plots. The wonder of interacting with mythological beings like Odin are kinda undermined when you know he's just an ancient but particularly advanced Clippy.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I got a subscription to Uplay+ and played through the main quest of Origins, which was my first AC game. Working on Odyssey now after trying AC1 and bouncing off of it because of extremely janky controls. What's the earliest game in the series that plays somewhat similarly to Origins?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Namaer posted:

I got a subscription to Uplay+ and played through the main quest of Origins, which was my first AC game. Working on Odyssey now after trying AC1 and bouncing off of it because of extremely janky controls. What's the earliest game in the series that plays somewhat similarly to Origins?

Origins is the start of a "new" type of AC game.

AC2 is the first game that is worth your time, though it's got some parts that will feel dated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

JuHoZ posted:

Theres an actual climbing sport called crack climbing.

I haven't watched those whole videos. But a common move in AC is you jumping from another wall and hanging on cracks. Or lifting yourself up with just your fingers without legs touching the wall. Or climbing a balcony from underneath it by jumping off the wall and somehow grabbing the ledge.

Those things are just physically impossible. They seem more plausible cause you're used to see those. Breaking enemy shield or whatever new abilities Odyssey brings is no more impossible.