Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Like the many takeaways of the Chicago 7 for Aaron Sorkin are apparently "VOTE!", "SUPPORT THE TROOPS", and "OUR INSTITUTIONS ARE FUNDAMENTALLY GOOD, THEY JUST SOMETIMES HAVE BAD PEOPLE IN CONTROL".
It's amazing the stuff he just decided to invent whole cloth. It's some Rush Revere poo poo.
And all the work to make Schultz human and sympathetic, just...ugh...loving contemptible.

Also just an aside, get younger actors...these were supposed to be people in their early 30s or late 20s mostly...def worked more with some of the cast than others lol

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Class Warcraft posted:

By the end it's basically downtown abbey + the world's least scary ghosts.

I mean, to be fair, this sounds like a pretty close adaptation of The Turn of the Screw.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Shageletic posted:

I hear they turned Hoffman into a liberal.

They turned everyone into a liberal lol, even the prosecutor and the judge who was an even bigger piece of poo poo irl.

Taken on its own, as a movie I thought it was pretty good. Sorkin is maybe a better director than he is a writer, and the characters are fun to watch. The acting is excellent, especially SBC, Jeremy Strong, and Sir Mark Rylance. But as an account of real events, it’s a travesty, and it’s impressive how he accomplished that with mostly small changes.

Starks fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 24, 2020

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

dantheman650 posted:

Thanks for this compelling review.

You're welcome. Would you prefer a 6000 words thesis about the show and why it didn't caught my attention at all? Everything in Twitter format, of course.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
because I'm a dummy and will watch whatever Netflix puts at the top of the page I watched La Revolution. The basic premise is that its telling of the French Revolution except aristocracy have all infected themselves with a disease that gives them immortality but turns them into basically zombies where they are literally eating the peasants. It isnt super high minded or anything but it is beautifully shot and the dubbing is really high quality and moves at a pretty quick pace.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It feels so "loosely inspired" sometimes and he takes such creative license (on an event he clearly wasnt very informed in) that it seems to solely exist for the purpose of sorkin writing liberal fanfiction

But it's extremely entertaining

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Starks posted:

They turned everyone into a liberal lol, even the prosecutor and the judge who was an even bigger piece of poo poo irl.

Uhhhhh no they showed very clearly that the judge was a literally insane, incompetent, racist piece of poo poo

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Junkie Disease posted:

Witches remake suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked

Probably one of the worst movies Ive watched this year.

Octavia Spencer inexplicably having all of the info needed to just dump exposition about the witches every scene, the god awful CGI, Hathaways over the top but completely unconvincing performance, the script in general. The fact they cast Kristin Chenoweth as the voice of a child was a perfect example of just how braindead this production was. It was an absolute disaster.

I belly laughed that the final shot was a pan and scan of a god awful photoshop composite still.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I did not expect or deserve the Chipmunks surprise sequel ending

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Junkie Disease posted:

Witches remake suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked
We just watched it based on this non-recommendation.

It is awful, just terrible all around. I'm not even a huge fan of the original, but we watched it a couple weeks ago and it is far and away so much better than the remake in every way.

I like a lot of people involved in the making of this movie - Zemeckis, Del Toro, Cauron, Spencer, hell even Hathaway.

Amazing it turned out so badly.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Like the many takeaways of the Chicago 7 for Aaron Sorkin are apparently "VOTE!", "SUPPORT THE TROOPS", and "OUR INSTITUTIONS ARE FUNDAMENTALLY GOOD, THEY JUST SOMETIMES HAVE BAD PEOPLE IN CONTROL".
It's amazing the stuff he just decided to invent whole cloth. It's some Rush Revere poo poo.
And all the work to make Schultz human and sympathetic, just...ugh...loving contemptible.

Also just an aside, get younger actors...these were supposed to be people in their early 30s or late 20s mostly...def worked more with some of the cast than others lol

this is completely confirming my pre-existing biases, but at least now I know for sure it'd make me mad.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
So is "The Witches" basically HBO Max's counterpart to Disney's Artemis Fowl? A movie so incompetently adapted and horrendously conceived that it's for the best it got dropped onto streaming rather than saved for theaters some years down the line?

Simone Magus posted:

The Queen's Gambit on Netflix is great.
Agreed

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

At this point I think it's safe to say for the most part, that if you see a movie that is full of A list talent, but is inexplicably going straight to a steaming service, it's going to be extremely bad.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What's the ratio of fun to drama in Queen's Gambit?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

What's the ratio of fun to drama in Queen's Gambit?

50/50. It's also gorgeous looking.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Just watched On the Rocks.

Listen, if you need something soothing and low-key, possibly after a bad day at work or something, put it on. If you're in a situation where you've going to watch a movie on TV with your parents and want a non-controversial consensus choice, put it on.

This is not something you have to rush to consume. It'll be around. Keep it in your back pocket. It's perfectly charming and everyone does a good job but it's not something I'd label a must watch.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Cats is on HBO now and also it's in the kids section. I'm pretty sure that counts as child abuse

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Simone Magus posted:

Cats is on HBO now and also it's in the kids section. I'm pretty sure that counts as child abuse

as long as its not the butthole cut I don't mind

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Just watched On the Rocks.

Listen, if you need something soothing and low-key, possibly after a bad day at work or something, put it on. If you're in a situation where you've going to watch a movie on TV with your parents and want a non-controversial consensus choice, put it on.

This is not something you have to rush to consume. It'll be around. Keep it in your back pocket. It's perfectly charming and everyone does a good job but it's not something I'd label a must watch.

That's disappointing to hear! I generally like Sofia Coppola's films, although she does have some misses (like that Civil War movie she did a few years back) (also, I had no idea she's 49! I guess I still picture her in her early 30s).

Does Apple+ have a large enough catalogue of quality content yet to be worth subscribing for a month during quarantine?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Nihonniboku posted:

That's disappointing to hear! I generally like Sofia Coppola's films, although she does have some misses (like that Civil War movie she did a few years back) (also, I had no idea she's 49! I guess I still picture her in her early 30s).

Does Apple+ have a large enough catalogue of quality content yet to be worth subscribing for a month during quarantine?
I'm not in any way saying it's bad! It's just not particularly special.

I think $5 is a perfectly fine cost to watch For All Mankind, Ted Lasso, and On the Rocks.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
For All Mankind is pretty good. I'm about halfway done with it and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Anybody seen the "Barbarians" miniseries yet?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Famethrowa posted:

as long as its not the butthole cut I don't mind

This is the only cut that exists

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Anyone else watched Over the Moon here?

Felt like there was a really good Pixar killer here, but it gets a bit lost in ideas that should have been on the cutting room floor (Gobi, the ping-pong match) to expand more on the main plot (the amulet, Fei Fei and Chin bonding).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm half way through the Third Day on HBO and this poo poo is pretty bonkers. I'm really digging it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

But it's extremely entertaining

i just read a take of Sorkin as a great storyteller/artist who is absolutely infected with terrible morals and values. Its the reason why all his characters are smart white men that list going into Harvard within their first sentence of dialogue. Sorkin is a terrible man whose awfulness in real life is well documented.

But he is very entertaining.

Dont know why that is more awful than a Michael Bay, another well documented awful person that is fabulous in entertaining...

The hypocrisy? The preening? People I should respect valuing him so highly? Sorkin needing to impose his privileged douchebaggery as an answer to the world's ills?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

I'm half way through the Third Day on HBO and this poo poo is pretty bonkers. I'm really digging it.

I finished it. It was okay. I much prefer We Are Who We Are, the other HBO show that is currently airing on Mondays.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 26, 2020

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

i just read a take of Sorkin as a great storyteller/artist who is absolutely infected with morals and values. Its the reason why all his characters are smart white men that list going into Harvard within their first sentence of dialogue. Sorkin is a terrible man whose awfulness in real life is well documented.

But he is very entertaining.

Dont know why that is more awful than a Michael Bay, another well documented awful person that is fabulous in entertaining...

The hypocrisy? The preening? People I should respect valuing him so highly? Sorkin needing to impose his privileged douchebaggery as an answer to the world's ills?

It is weird, isn't it? I think that Trial of the Chicago 7 is a better film than Pain and Gain (barely) but I would say that Pain and Gain is more "honest". At the same time, I think Bay is probably (barely) more of an rear end in a top hat. I lowkey hate Sorkin but I dunno, I liked Trial. Maybe liberal fanfiction was what I needed lol.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't get what was so great about the original Witches.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

it seems to solely exist for the purpose of sorkin writing liberal fanfiction
I think Sorkin feels this way about all political events.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Wayne is coming to Prime Video November 6th. Along with Cobra Kai, they were the best of Youtube Red.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I just watched it a few days and it triggered a lot of those weird childhood memory things in me (I definitely don't remember ever watching it but I had vague senses of remembering a lot of it), so it's hard to separate it from weird nostalgia, but...

I was really impressed by how much it commits to the witches and general transformation being actually gruesome and scary. I watched all kinds of movies as a youth, but it really made a mark on me by merging childlike innocence with surprisingly scary imagery and situations... the scene of him witnessing the witches taking off their disguises (while barely hidden and obviously about to be discovered the entire time) is really nightmarish stuff, the kind of thing a kid would actually dream about and get real scared by. It never really lets the tension drop or removes the sense of danger; I was pretty surprised the main kid gets part of his tail chopped off.

And while they do throw in the "and then everything went back to normal" very very end, it's still impressive to me before that that the kid just accepts his new mouse life. A worse movie would devote a huge chunk of its runtime to "how do we get back to normal??" but the main character is this great little dude who's too busy on his mission to even worry about that.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Anybody seen the "Barbarians" miniseries yet?

It owns. I rewatched HBOs Rome in sort of a lead up to it so I could pretend this was, in a way, the continuation we never got and so far I am really enjoying it and its filling that long left open hole as much as possible.

Im fairly into Roman history and while it of course takes some liberties to add more drama, it is also fairly historically accurate thus far.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

AccountSupervisor posted:

It owns. I rewatched HBOs Rome in sort of a lead up to it so I could pretend this was, in a way, the continuation we never got and so far I am really enjoying it and its filling that long left open hole as much as possible.

Im fairly into Roman history and while it of course takes some liberties to add more drama, it is also fairly historically accurate thus far.

I've only watched the first episode so I'm still on the fence, but the fact that they made all the Romans actually speak in Latin is pretty bonkers.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Class Warcraft posted:

I've only watched the first episode so I'm still on the fence, but the fact that they made all the Romans actually speak in Latin is pretty bonkers.

Its definitely not as "exciting" as the trailer made it out and the famous battle is highly highly condensed which was pretty disappointing because I was hoping theyd take the chance they had to really portray something like that in its full span over several episodes but all in all I enjoyed it.

But Im also incredibly forgiving of shows/movies like this because I cherish any decent attempt to portray this era of history.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

It's fuckin great!!!!

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Halloween Jack posted:

Anjelica Huston completely elevates what would otherwise be standard kids fare of the era.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Just watched Vivarium on Prime.

It's "what if coo coo birds but instead of a bird tricking another bird into raising its young, it's aliens and humans."

It's ok. Visually interesting. Cromulent acting.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I just watched Detective Dee: The Four Heavenly Kings. I didn't know anything about it, and I assumed it was sort-of Sherlock Holmes in ancient China (which sounded great). It starts out a bit like that, with some Wuxia elements added in, but it got increasingly mystical and strange as it went on. I liked the first two acts, but felt a little worn-out and vaguely unsatisfied by the end. I would have preferred something more grounded. This is the third of three movies, so maybe I should have watched the first two beforehand.

mystes
May 31, 2006

DorianGravy posted:

I just watched Detective Dee: The Four Heavenly Kings. I didn't know anything about it, and I assumed it was sort-of Sherlock Holmes in ancient China (which sounded great). It starts out a bit like that, with some Wuxia elements added in, but it got increasingly mystical and strange as it went on. I liked the first two acts, but felt a little worn-out and vaguely unsatisfied by the end. I would have preferred something more grounded. This is the third of three movies, so maybe I should have watched the first two beforehand.
I've only seen the first one and it was a while
ago, but I think I felt pretty much the same way about it as what you have described about the third one, so I'm not sure that having seen the other installments would make much difference in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

GORDON posted:

Just watched Vivarium on Prime.

It's "what if coo coo birds but instead of a bird tricking another bird into raising its young, it's aliens and humans."

It's ok. Visually interesting. Cromulent acting.

Vivarium is extremely dope.

Is there a dubbed version of Barbarians around, any language but German? From the trailer the fancy TV German of the Germans is absolutely unbearable, even worse than Dark.