Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Incelshok Na posted:

The first season is basically, "What if the movie, but on a TV budget?" It has its charms but it is what it is. When they got unexpectedly renewed for a second season there was definitely a moment in the writer's room where the exec gave all the writers a combination of LSD and dantura and told them to go wild. If they need to get the creative juices flowing some more, they can sit in the cockroach bath in the bathroom for extra inspiration.

The show is much better than it has any right to be.

Maybe I'll give it another go one day but the first two episodes were like a bad 24 rip off, right down to the music. It didn't hook me. I think I'm just going to watch the movie again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

clown shoes posted:

Maybe I'll give it another go one day but the first two episodes were like a bad 24 rip off, right down to the music. It didn't hook me. I think I'm just going to watch the movie again.

ur wrong

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The witness/red forest stuff was dumb and exhausting. Gimme more "Quantum Leap" type adventures with James Cole's haircut not fitting into any century.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Keyser_Soze posted:

The witness/red forest stuff was dumb and exhausting. Gimme more "Quantum Leap" type adventures with James Cole's haircut not fitting into any century.

Your face is exhausting.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

I’m four episodes into 12 Monkeys and I can’t help but think that the show runners really wanted Arron Paul and Amy Adams but just didn’t have the money.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Keyser_Soze posted:

Look at this wrong person being wrong.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

nate fisher posted:

I really liked Bates in season 1, but hated almost everything they did with him after that. Honestly I liked Downton Abbey despite its flaws (I even liked the movie), especially the Matthew and Mary storylines. That said the jump the shark moment for the show is at the end of season 3 (oh you will know when you see it). From that point forward the show was never the same.

So many silly things happened in season 3 that I kept thinking "Oh, yeah that is pretty silly" over and over until the actual final shoe dropped and all I could do was laugh. Ugh, Mary is gonna be unbearable in season 4 isn't she....

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

So many silly things happened in season 3 that I kept thinking "Oh, yeah that is pretty silly" over and over until the actual final shoe dropped and all I could do was laugh. Ugh, Mary is gonna be unbearable in season 4 isn't she....

She's pretty much the worst for the rest of the show.

I'm not sure where our recent Australian kick came from but Netflix caught on and gave us a whole category of Australian shows. Just started Secret City which stars Anna Torv from Fringe and Mindhunter. We're just a couple of episodes in but so far it's pretty good (journalist in danger investigating espionage/political thriller).

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
I'm not in love with Secret City. It's not good enough to justify my full attention but there are enough twists-and-turns that I can't watch it in the background while I send work emails unless I have to annoyingly rewind. Does it get better, in either direction?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Finished Utopia. Some flaws, bad luck on timing with COVID, and I’m not a fan of cliffhangers, but I actually enjoyed it overall. Given some of the backlash to it I had low expectations, so it was a very pleasant surprise. I do wonder (and hope) if season 2 will still happen. I know Flynn said she is currently writing it and sounds like they are going to move beyond the pandemic (which would be smart given, 2020).

Also always good to see Sonja Sohn getting work.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Incelshok Na posted:

I'm not in love with Secret City. It's not good enough to justify my full attention but there are enough twists-and-turns that I can't watch it in the background while I send work emails unless I have to annoyingly rewind. Does it get better, in either direction?

Yeah, it takes some close attention. Most things were set up but it was often a quick line or how the scenes were cut together, and you have to remember people’s names from 2 episodes ago. We’re definitely going to watch S2.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
You didn't answer the question: is it worth paying attention to? What I've seen hasn't grabbed me.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't know how far you've gone but we enjoyed S1 a lot. Writing and acting was fine, the main actress is pretty captivating, suspenseful scenes usually didn't seem cheap, and the secrets and machinations developed well throughout the season. I liked how it blended the Clancy/Tinker Tailor elements with the more Grishamy/House of Cards elements. Neither are the deepest treatments out there but together it worked for me. It packed a lot in a 6 episode season, and maybe they could have stretched it out a little more. There's a lot you have to infer without being explicitly shown. I guess for me it worked pretty well and I liked being able to fill in some of the blanks while watching. It wasn't perfect – there were a few of those moments that almost every show has "Why is character X doing this stupidly dangerous thing right now", and it maybe could have used another couple of episodes e.g. you could understand the dynamics of the newsroom just from seeing other shows about political journalists but in this show you're almost relying on these other shows for background.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm about halfway through Mythic Quest, which is fine in a Silicon Valley Lite sort of way, but I want more from it. I got to the flashback episode and it was a really good story where I cared about the characters, but that just made me realize how good the rest of the show could be but isn't. I wanted that episode to be the whole show.

The cast is great and I'm invested in the story, but it feels like the show is holding back. The characters either need to be a lot more likeable, or they need to really lean hard into how terrible everyone is. This middle ground they're doing feels too safe.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Just finished Raised By Wolves.

Huh.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

AngryBooch posted:

Just finished Raised By Wolves.

Huh.

father owns

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Google Butt posted:

father owns

Very true. Think I'm in for Season 2.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I've been working on The Boys, I have two episodes left in season 2.

It is what it is, you know? I like it, I can see how some folks wouldn't. I deffo like it better than the comic. The music drops are great, and I enjoy Billy Joel being a recurrent theme.

It also has the (when it was good) Game of Thrones thing where (mostly) anyone can get murked at any time, which for me at least gives it a nice bit of tension.

Oh! and the casting is loving phenomenal. Patton Oswalt as the voice of the Deep's gills while Deep is high on shrooms popped me huge. And it has Ellsworth from Deadwood.

And Billy Zane plays the part he was born to play.... Billy Zane

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I'm binging Working Moms. I like it. Catherine Reitman is a treasure.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I watched (most of) Barbarians on Netflix. It's fine I guess. Good production, neat to see romans speaking latin, and the rest is in german with subtitles. The plot is pretty predicable and it uses some pretty common tropes.

Lots of blood if that's your thing.

roman scrotum snacks was kinda nasty though.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Finally finished S3 of Borgen on Netflix. Still a good political intrigue show but S3 wasn't quite as good as S2. The finale didn't feel like a series ender, but now we're actually getting more episodes so it won't have to be. I'll be interested to see what Netflix does with it in 2022 given it will be an almost 10 year time jump for S4. I also wonder how the tone will change from early 2010's to early 2020's. The show has been, at it's heart, extremely optimistic, and I don't know to what extent that is because it's a few years removed from where we are now or whether that's what it feels like to live in a European democracy.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I finished Bly Manor last night have I have to agree with the previous opinions, it's a let down after Hill House and it loses momentum after the Hanna reveal episode which was real good. The ending is real superfluous and drags, they could have easily combined the 8th episode and the 9th. And maybe it was just me but I thought the woman playing the bride in the metastory was a horrible actress, especially the "reveal" which was obvious as poo poo and they then have to hang a lantern on it because audiences are dumb and can't put two and two together I guess. Hopefully whatever they do next is actually spooky and maintains tension throughout.

E:. I think my biggest issue is that there's a bunch of buildup with no payoff. For example, Hanna tells herself via Owen that she has to go and help everyone and save them and then she... does nothing? She tells Viola to let Dani go and nothing happens. I guess she tells Jamie and Owen that Flora is by the lake?

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 30, 2020

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

https://twitter.com/BlockbusterPlus/status/1322270873697529859?s=20

Between this show and the OJ documentary I might start counting limited series' on my top 10 movies lists from now on.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Yep, Queen's Gambit is the bees knees. My wife is sick of me singing the Black Phillip song during the high stakes chess scenes.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm planning on watching Queens Gambit this weekend.

But this week i've been rewatching the first 2 seasons of Daredevil and man some of those fight scenes are just so amazing. Particularly thinking about the season 2 fight after Daredevil frees himself on the roof after the Punisher caught him. Just fighting his way through the hall and down the stairwell with an empty gun taped to one hand and a chain dangling from his other wrist.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TMMadman posted:

some of those fight scenes are just so amazing...

They borrow heavily from Asian action movies. Here's the s1 hallway scene in its original form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hYsVqpiEa4

What movie did they base the s2 staircase scene on?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife and I just watched the final episode of Schitt's Creek on Netflix, followed by the documentary, and now we have lots of feelings. We hated it at first, then it became comfort food, and then it became a goddamn delight and a light in the darkness. Definitely a Top Ten sitcom, and a show we desperately needed to discover and binge over these last few weeks.

Now we have no shows to watch, since we also finished 12 Monkeys recently. I'm waiting for The Mandalorian and Star Trek Discovery to be close to ending before I resubscribe to those services. Somehow we made it through Season 1 of The Boys, but my wife said she didn't remember much and didn't like the Season 2 premiere enough to continue. I guess we can try Utopia now, but I'm all for other suggestions.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
How about...

Halt And Catch Fire
For All Mankind
Ted Lasso
The Queen's Gambit
Wayne
Hap And Leonard

isaboo fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 31, 2020

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

isaboo posted:

How about...

Halt And Catch Fire
For All Mankind
Ted Lasso
The Queen's Gambit
Wayne
Hap And Leonard

We absolutely LOVED Halt and Catch Fire. That's a Top Ten show for both of us. I want to watch Hap and Leonard, but she has no interest in it, so I've been saving it to watch alone eventually.

Can you even get Apple TV without an Apple device? We loved Scrubs, and at least she mostly enjoyed Cougar Town, so another Bill Lawrence show would be cool, but a show about soccer would be a harder sell for her, and I don't know if we could watch it anyway.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I know nothing about soccer (Ted Lasso himself really doesn't either!) but loved the show so much we immediately rewatched it. It's super genuine and heartfelt good fun and just plain funny. It's a great escape from the poo poo 2020 has dealt us.

If you loved H&CF (it's in our top 10 too) you might like For All Mankind. They're similar in that they are both heavily character driven with very strong female characters who take no poo poo. The space stuff is really cool and there are some very tense moments. Plus the 2nd season trailer looks badass.

I don't know about the AppleTV question... I just :filez:'d both shows.

sad question
May 30, 2020

I recently watched 3 seasons of Hap and Leonard. I enjoyed it overall but it's got a sometimes odd mix of buddy comedy and pretty heavy portrayal of racism and homophobia in the 80s. This mix of pulp and social commentary somehow works but results in a show than can turn on a dime from a fun romp to something pretty depressing.

James Purefoy and Michael Kenneth Williams are a delight in it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Can you even get Apple TV without an Apple device?

Yea but it depends on your device. If you’ve got an App Store, check it for an AppleTV app. It should be available on most platforms.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Now we have no shows to watch, since we also finished 12 Monkeys recently.

DID YOU HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

DID YOU HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE

Somehow, we had never felt that way before.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Thwomp posted:

Yea but it depends on your device. If you’ve got an App Store, check it for an AppleTV app. It should be available on most platforms.

Thanks! It looks like Roku supports it, and we can get a free week -- at least enough time to watch the Beastie Boys documentary I've really wanted to see, and to binge Ted Lasso. Do they have any other content worth subscribing longer?

asimplenation
Jul 8, 2010

Thanks! It looks like Roku supports it, and we can get a free week -- at least enough time to watch the Beastie Boys documentary I've really wanted to see, and to binge Ted Lasso. Do they have any other content worth subscribing longer?

Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet is pretty funny

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I don't know how far you've gone but we enjoyed S1 a lot. Writing and acting was fine, the main actress is pretty captivating, suspenseful scenes usually didn't seem cheap, and the secrets and machinations developed well throughout the season. I liked how it blended the Clancy/Tinker Tailor elements with the more Grishamy/House of Cards elements. Neither are the deepest treatments out there but together it worked for me. It packed a lot in a 6 episode season, and maybe they could have stretched it out a little more. There's a lot you have to infer without being explicitly shown. I guess for me it worked pretty well and I liked being able to fill in some of the blanks while watching. It wasn't perfect – there were a few of those moments that almost every show has "Why is character X doing this stupidly dangerous thing right now", and it maybe could have used another couple of episodes e.g. you could understand the dynamics of the newsroom just from seeing other shows about political journalists but in this show you're almost relying on these other shows for background.

Finished S2 of Secret City last night. It wasn't horrible but it didn't work for us nearly as well as S1. The overall plot/premise seemed less interesting and surprising and there were situations that just seemed more unrealistic for the narrative than in S1. The acting kept it watchable.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Not TVIV per say but if you’re gonna binge content on AppleTV+ for a week be sure to squeeze in the Tom Hanks movie “Greyhound”

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Watching Haven on Amazon Prime.
God it's dated (2010) but it has a gentle charm (being Xfiles /Buffy/ Charmed lite) with engaging characters and an involving central mystery.

Nothing new under the son however I particularly liked the episode about the taxidermy family, and the drowned dad one was soft and sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It picks up a little in the middle seasons when the meta plot gets way more important and the episodic nature falls back a bit. poo poo gets weird. I think it makes a crucial mistake in the last season that kind of blows it but it was a way more engaging watch than I thought at the start. But it still never really gets heavy enough to lose that mid 2000s USA show ease of watching.