Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Clearly they hire Whedon to finish it and we start the cycle anew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Phylodox posted:

Justice League: The Snyderer Cut

Skip to the end- Justice League: The Snidest Cut

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Phylodox posted:

I think they’re basically helpless at this point. I think they agreed to it thinking, like Disney with New Mutants, they’d just slap some finishing touches on it and release it for a quick cash/attention grab. Then Snyder’s fans and the Internet Hyperbole Machine ground ponderously back into action, and Snyder saw an opportunity to capitalize on it all and basically kitchen sink the re-shoots, and now WB and HBO are along for the ride whether they like it or not.

You got it backwards there. What actually happened is that the fan hype machine reached a fever pitch in november last year (that was when Affleck, Mamoa and Gal all tweeted the hashtag). The morning after, the Snyders got a phone call from Toby Emmerich asking them if they wanna make it happen. The snyders put together a presentation and in February they pitched their idea to a group of execs, where they outlined the idea of an episodic format and cliff hangers, and also presumably, additional shooting. Whatever they agreed on there, the execs knew what they signed up for. It's not like they agreed to release the cut and then zack went "oh btw, I'll need 70 million to shoot some extra stuff".

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

STAC Goat posted:

WB hires Greg Berlanti who immediately casts Melissa Benoist, Grant Gustin, and Stephen Amell for a power of love resolution.

Imo, it's a more deserving use of WB corporate funds to hand Berlanti the 200 million or so and let him make a Justice League movie with "his" troop of actors. I doubt the film would be any sort of box office success, but that whole CW crew deserves one go round with a big league vfx budget.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

How Wonderful! posted:

When the Fatal Five showed up in Bunheads to ruin the big recital I feel like most fans just rolled with it.
Holy poo poo I remember having to sit through so many Bunheads ads thanks to AMC.
:golfclap:

That and Nights in Rodanthe.

McCloud posted:

It's not like they agreed to release the cut and then zack went "oh btw, I'll need 70 million to shoot some extra stuff".
That seems to be what the current narrative is. I'm wondering how much of the JL2 stuff he's able to get in there with the episode format, though.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 25, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

howe_sam posted:

Imo, it's a more deserving use of WB corporate funds to hand Berlanti the 200 million or so and let him make a Justice League movie with "his" troop of actors. I doubt the film would be any sort of box office success, but that whole CW crew deserves one go round with a big league vfx budget.

Just give legends of tomorrow the entire $70mil imo it'll be better than anything else

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

site posted:

Just give legends of tomorrow the entire $70mil imo it'll be better than anything else

Just-Us League.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

site posted:

With that they'd:

a) Bring back Shaq as Steel
and
b) Make him awesome

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

STAC Goat posted:

I feel bad for the "There's a Suicide Squad Director's Cut too" guy.

Maybe this is where we're getting that Leto Joker... thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly the Snyder thing is just lovely because it's pretty clear that the "Snyder Cut" was exaggerated at very least and it ended up being used as a bludgeon until it became "Zach Snyder gets to Make The Movie He Wanted." And I would even be okay with that if it didn't involve hiring a lovely sex pest to come back to play The Joker. (Even if it involves getting a lovely racist's name off the credits in Geoff Johns.) Bringing Leto back after all the poo poo he did is inexcusable especially because either he's a small cameo (in which case there are plenty of ways to handle it without needing Leto) or he's a more significant part (in which case gently caress giving Jared Leto more parts.) Even the Harley Quinn movie which was explicitly about her breaking up with the Joker and doing her own poo poo avoided bringing Leto back.

(And yes it's similarly lovely he's going to be tied to Sony's stuff too and god knows it kills any interest I had in Spider-Man 3.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 25, 2020

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

That seems to be what the current narrative is. I'm wondering how much of the JL2 stuff he's able to get in there with the episode format, though.

I wonder how much of that narrative is propagated due to ignorance and how much it's just

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly the Snyder thing is just lovely because it's pretty clear that the "Snyder Cut" was exaggerated at very least and it ended up being used as a bludgeon until it became "Zach Snyder gets to Make The Movie He Wanted." And I would even be okay with that if it didn't involve hiring a lovely sex pest to come back to play The Joker. (Even if it involves getting a lovely racist's name off the credits in Geoff Johns.) Bringing Leto back after all the poo poo he did is inexcusable especially because either he's a small cameo (in which case there are plenty of ways to handle it without needing Leto) or he's a more significant part (in which case gently caress giving Jared Leto more parts.) Even the Harley Quinn movie which was explicitly about her breaking up with the Joker and doing her own poo poo avoided bringing Leto back.

(And yes it's similarly lovely he's going to be tied to Sony's stuff too and god knows it kills any interest I had in Spider-Man 3.)

The studio execs (contrary to what some people might think) didn't get browbeaten by internet bullies into doing this. They saw there was an interest and they're doing this because they think it's going to be profitable. That's it. Any narrative that the meanies on twitter forced the WB leadership at gunpoint to sign a blank check to machevellian mastermind Zack Snyder is just silly (if you'll forgive the hyperbole).

Your reaction to Leto is understandable though. Not entirely unrelated, but Snyder booted Chris Delia from Army of the dead once the underage allegations surfaced and replaced him with Tig Notaro instead. I think the only reason Leto is still around is because no one has officially accused him of anything

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Even without the groupie rumors, Leto seems like a complete chore just to be around based on how he treats his co-stars.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McCloud posted:

The studio execs (contrary to what some people might think) didn't get browbeaten by internet bullies into doing this. They saw there was an interest and they're doing this because they think it's going to be profitable. That's it. Any narrative that the meanies on twitter forced the WB leadership at gunpoint to sign a blank check to machevellian mastermind Zack Snyder is just silly (if you'll forgive the hyperbole).

Your reaction to Leto is understandable though. Not entirely unrelated, but Snyder booted Chris Delia from Army of the dead once the underage allegations surfaced and replaced him with Tig Notaro instead. I think the only reason Leto is still around is because no one has officially accused him of anything

Nobody thinks they were held at gunpoint, but there was a significant fan campaign waged on the idea of "Zach Snyder had an almost finished cut that was pretty much ready for release" and we're still not getting that. It's very possible Snyder's Justice League will be better than The Snyder Cut but at the end of the day it isn't going to be the thing that was the centerpoint of said fan campaign. It's absolutely cool if it turns out to be better but it sits really poorly with me after months and months of "Release the Snyder Cut" being about an almost finished product ruined by the studio that the end result isn't that.

The second part doesn't really make a ton of sense to me TBH. There is no real reason for The Joker to be in the Justice League. Leto's Joker was (barely) in one movie and is entirely absent from both the sequels to that movie, he wasn't in BvS at all, etc. Snyder didn't need to bring him back.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 25, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The more the Snyder Cut expands in scope the more exhausted I get and the less reasonable this whole idea of calling a mulligan on a three hundred million dollar movie already released into theaters multiple years ago feels.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Maybe we are all being too hard on the man who gave us sucker punch

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

#ReleaseTheSnyderCut

#InTwoYearsAndAlsoItsSomethingDifferentEntirely

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Nobody thinks they were held at gunpoint, but there was a significant fan campaign waged on the idea of "Zach Snyder had an almost finished cut that was pretty much ready for release" and we're still not getting that. It's very possible Snyder's Justice League will be better than The Snyder Cut but at the end of the day it isn't going to be the thing that was the centerpoint of said fan campaign. It's absolutely cool if it turns out to be better but it sits really poorly with me after months and months of "Release the Snyder Cut" being about an almost finished product ruined by the studio that the end result isn't that.

The second part doesn't really make a ton of sense to me TBH. There is no real reason for The Joker to be in the Justice League. Leto's Joker was (barely) in one movie and is entirely absent from both the sequels to that movie, he wasn't in BvS at all, etc. Snyder didn't need to bring him back.

Well like you say, this isn't the Snyder cut, this is something different. No, it's not what the fans asked for, but they had already set an unrealistic goal to begin with, they never dreamed they'd be getting Zacks "untampered" vision, as far as they're concerned this is hitting the jackpot.

Where Jokers scene is concerned, I'll hold of judgement until I see what his role is in the film. I do know he was supposed to have a larger role in SS which was cut down considerably. I totally get your reservations though.

site posted:

Maybe we are all being too hard on the man who gave us sucker punch

Unironically yes.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I’m not a Snyder fan but if he goes Col. Kurtz and disappears into the jungle with his crew to make his billion dollar movie I can at least respect that

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McCloud posted:

Well like you say, this isn't the Snyder cut, this is something different. No, it's not what the fans asked for, but they had already set an unrealistic goal to begin with, they never dreamed they'd be getting Zacks "untampered" vision, as far as they're concerned this is hitting the jackpot.

Where Jokers scene is concerned, I'll hold of judgement until I see what his role is in the film. I do know he was supposed to have a larger role in SS which was cut down considerably. I totally get your reservations though.

Unironically yes.

I admit at least part of my problem is I'm pretty salty about not actually getting to see the Snyder Cut after all the hype. Getting to directly compare the two would have been neat.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I admit at least part of my problem is I'm pretty salty about not actually getting to see the Snyder Cut after all the hype. Getting to directly compare the two would have been neat.

That would have been pretty neat, ngl, but even one Snyder cut is pushing it. Two would probably cause causality to break down and reverse entropy or something

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

While I'm fine getting the new version of Zack Snyder's Justice League, I 100% agree here.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MacheteZombie posted:

While I'm fine getting the new version of Zack Snyder's Justice League, I 100% agree here.

Especially since we'll never know what was changed in response to the reaction of the theatrical version.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I'm sure everything will be revealed when they make the Deep Cut documentary about all the shenanigans that went on bts

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

McCloud posted:

I'm sure everything will be revealed when they make the Deep Cut documentary about all the shenanigans that went on bts

Now that is something I'd honestly really like to see, moreso than either version of Justice League, because between all this and all of Ray Fisher's claims about how lovely it was and how they chopped it to hell, I feel like it could/would be a fascinating look at how corporate superhero movies are.

Of course it would never really get made because no way in hell would WB let a movie that painted them in a negative light see the light of day but it's an interesting thought experiment.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 25, 2020

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Now that is something I'd honestly really like to see, moreso than either version of Justice League, because between all this and all of Ray Fisher's claims about how lovely it was and how they chopped it to hell, I feel like it could/would be a fascinating look at how corporate superhero movies are.

Of course it would never really get made because no way in hell would WB let a movie that painted them in a negative light see the laight of day but it's an interesting thought experiment.

Give it 5-10 years and I guarantee you someone's gonna make it. Some dude is already publishing a book on the whole thing, only a matter of time before a documentary is made.

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

McCloud posted:

But we're not really getting that, are we? We're getting a four hour TV series built off the bones of Snyder's original workprint plus whatever reshoots $70 million buys. The way I understand it, the "untampered vision" would be the original two move plan for Justice League that was foreshadowed heavily in BvS, with a combined runtime of around sixish hours.

The more I look at this whole thing the more confused I get as to why Snyder took this deal in particular. The Snyder Cut could be good or bad but at least it's largely done and is a known quantity. Redoing the movie as a miniseries feels like a whole lot of risk for extremely minimal reward.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mal-3 posted:

Redoing the movie as a miniseries feels like a whole lot of risk for extremely minimal reward.
I almost want to give the studio credit as they realized production for anything would be hyperfucked when Corona hit and decided this would be Good Content spread over 2ish months of they deliver 1ep/week of the miniseries.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

I almost want to give the studio credit as they realized production for anything would be hyperfucked when Corona hit and decided this would be Good Content spread over 2ish months of they deliver 1ep/week of the miniseries.

Except then they did an entire movies worth of new shooting and it's not going to be out for another full year?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its a weird deal. I can only assume Snyder's just taking as much rope as they give him and getting every creative decision he had at the time or since into action as long as they let him. The book on the "Snyder Cut" in the first place seemed to be that he had too much stuff so now he's just got that and everything else he left out or thought of. Snyder's never struck me as a self restrained film maker.

In terms of "The Snyder Cut" its weird because now I guess we'll just never know. I tend to lean towards the interpretation that this confirms tat there was never really a solid cut of it but I guess that's not confirmed or anything. Snyder's delivering something entirely different from what was promised and demanded. I'm sure his mega fans will welcome seeing his "full vision" even if it takes 3 yeas and 8 episodes but it doesn't really "resolves" anything and I have no idea what it means to this mess of a cinematic universe.

But hey, its just a dumb super hero thing so if some people enjoy it I guess that's all they're care about. Except for WB's financial department.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

WB has handled their DC license with such wild incompetence that honestly I hope Snyder takes them for all they're worth. If WB executives didn't want to go bankrupt, they shouldn't have rushed Justice League out the door just to preserve their loving bonuses. If we get an actually-good Justice League out of it, bonus!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on you. Fool me thrice, shame on you. Fool me there's no word for 4 and beyond.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

WB has handled their DC license with such wild incompetence that honestly I hope Snyder takes them for all they're worth. If WB executives didn't want to go bankrupt, they shouldn't have rushed Justice League out the door just to preserve their loving bonuses. If we get an actually-good Justice League out of it, bonus!

But Snyder is the biggest name behind why people have the perception WB mishandled the DC license. Most people are pretty favorable toward one or more of Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Shazam, Birds of Prey, and Joker.

Aphrodite posted:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on you. Fool me thrice, shame on you. Fool me there's no word for 4 and beyond.

Huh. There really isn't. The English language has failed us all. We should invent one. Quarice. Quice. Fourice.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Back in the day, nobody owned more than 3 of anything.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

But Snyder is the biggest name behind why people have the perception WB mishandled the DC license. Most people are pretty favorable toward one or more of Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Shazam, Birds of Prey, and Joker.

Snyder's particular style does have its own fans, and by hiring someone who's style is the exact opposite and having him reshoot 90% and recomposite that into a frankensteins film just assured that no one would like it.

The idea was that Snyder's films would form the backbone of the DCEU in a self contained story, and could be used as a jumping off point for other films with their own tone and style. Aquaman and WW are proof of concept of that, and if WB hadn't so colossally hosed up JL they would have had a film about the flash, cyborg and GL out and they probably would have done well.

Personally I blame Geoff Johns

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm actually 100% okay with blaming everything wrong with DC movies on Johns.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

McCloud posted:

Snyder's particular style does have its own fans, and by hiring someone who's style is the exact opposite and having him reshoot 90% and recomposite that into a frankensteins film just assured that no one would like it.

The idea was that Snyder's films would form the backbone of the DCEU in a self contained story, and could be used as a jumping off point for other films with their own tone and style. Aquaman and WW are proof of concept of that, and if WB hadn't so colossally hosed up JL they would have had a film about the flash, cyborg and GL out and they probably would have done well.

None of this is news to me, I'm just confused by the idea that there's some kind of "win" in Snyder taking WB for all they have. Snyder's the guy behind all the DC movies I don't like. He's certainly filthy rich from even BEFORE this. Who could care.

Whether or not those hypothetical movies would have done well is something we'll never know and can't even debate contextually.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

McCloud posted:

I'm sad that we didn't get an untainted pure Snyder film, which historically have been so well-received and popular that discussion of them has never been banned for long stretches in this thread or it's immediate predecessors.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

None of this is news to me, I'm just confused by the idea that there's some kind of "win" in Snyder taking WB for all they have. Snyder's the guy behind all the DC movies I don't like. He's certainly filthy rich from even BEFORE this. Who could care.

Whether or not those hypothetical movies would have done well is something we'll never know and can't even debate contextually.

Snyder himself has said he isn't getting a paycheck out of this. And the point is that even if you didn't happen to like his films there's plenty of others who do. Saying he mishandled the DC franchise because you're not fond of his version of Superman or whatever is nonsense, saying WB mishandled it by butchering the third installment of it and then immediately canceling all other superhero films that hadn't already started production is not.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You're acting like there's no relationship between those two events.

And bullshit he's not getting paid, that makes zero goddamn sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I definitely trust a guy who managed to make a Frank Miller message even more hosed up and wrong. It was all a conspiracy against BvS by the nefarious Rotten Tomatoes.

I wonder who owns that site.