Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Sormus posted:

I missed the boat on the Star Citizen scamstarter so the next best thing would be this. Can someone draw me a hueg phallic ship thats somehow way too stupid to exist and yet just screams "This jpg is woth 1500 dollars"

Bonus points for RGB lights, and sex robot aesthetic.

its tier 0 implementation use imagination for RGB effect

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrible Butts
May 7, 2012

Bear Enthusiast posted:

I love the feel of this worldbuilding a lot.

Thanks!

Nounlounge

Class: Spacebowl

Population: 1.3 billion

Signature dishes: Barrier Pudding, Pig Halves, Uncrustables

Gods: Freecell, Clay Slap, Walted-Woo

Long ago, Spacebowl Nounlounge was the last hope of the Wide Deep Alliance. It traveled the galaxies repopulating war-torn planets and ships. These days it restores and refurbishes old quasars for money.
Recently someone in Nounlounge’s contiguous zone was such a fuckup that all memory of them was erased. People are still pissed off… but in a distant, haunting way.
Nounlounge is powered by roses.

Phony Horse
Oct 22, 2020

I drew one that kinda looks like a big fish. The geometry doesn’t quite make sense but I liked the aesthetic of it okay

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Canuckistan Space Empire

Ship Type: Battlegooser

Class: Whoa-Eh

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo the phaser lights coming together.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Applewhite posted:

Holy poo poo the phaser lights coming together.

It's the HISS class cannon that will really gently caress you up though.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
*tcheoom tcheoom tcheoom fhwoamm*

Elukka fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 25, 2020

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait till it launches its barbed torpedo

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Stretch Marx posted:

Canuckistan Space Empire

Ship Type: Battlegooser

Class: Whoa-Eh

The perfect weapon.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

NCC Old Friend

Ring habitat (with ring)

Torus habitat, providing artificial gravity through centrifugal force of the habitable section. Magnetic drives provide impulse of gaping ring section.

For several gigaseconds, during the early interstellarnet, rerouting jump-gates to this habitat, instead of the purported jump-target was regarded as a symbolic victory by the Troll Empire. While this practice has fallen out of favor, those with a more classic bent still regard this as a hallowed practice.

Murray Mantoinette fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Oct 25, 2020

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

"People always give me funny looks when I tell them I live here. I don't get it, the place is so friendly and wholesome"

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

rear end in a top hat Interstellar Republic

Class: Fug U mobile battle station

Designation: Nope

Phony Horse
Oct 22, 2020

This one kinda looks like an egg with wings. Not sure why wings would help in space, but I liked the way it looked

Rank and Vile
Nov 11, 2008

I guess I didn't really think this through...

Slightly more phallic then i was intending...

Rank and Vile fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 25, 2020

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

S.S. Skulldick

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Phony Horse posted:

This one kinda looks like an egg with wings. Not sure why wings would help in space, but I liked the way it looked

The wings are heat sinks obviously

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Stretch Marx posted:

rear end in a top hat Interstellar Republic

Class: Fug U mobile battle station

Designation: Nope

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A group of Beju corvettes in the traditional formation to honor a lost craft.

Poil fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 26, 2020

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Vanisheerrrrrr!!!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Poil posted:

A group of Beju corvettes in the traditional formation to honor a lost craft.

Often harder on the engineer.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I have no new ships but I have a scale pic.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Rondette posted:

Just a cat in space, trying to get by.

I love these

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Linux Pirate posted:

This is outstanding. As someone who's trying to improve my own modeling and rendering skills, I enjoy hearing the ins and out. Thank you.
Oh, going back to this a bit, something I was reminded of: When you want to make a surface look big, try making it out of recursively smaller elements. This basically follows the idea in that detail article I linked. On this particular material I got big plates made out of smaller plates made out of a regular grid of even smaller plates. They each slightly vary in color and roughness. I usually find it looks good when something that is brighter on the diffuse (i.e. regular color) map is darker (smoother) on the roughness map. Usually I just take a diffuse layer, desaturate, invert colors and adjust from there. You can easily vary the size and shape and amount of the detail on each layer and the amount of layers, and how noticeable or subtle each one is to get a different look. Even if you want a pretty smooth surface it should probably have some imperfections like this.

Also, large surfaces made of relatively thin plates tend to deform - if you look at trains, ships or even airplanes, the surface is almost never smooth, it's often going be bowing inwards and slightly crumpled. This can be done well as normal map detail. Here I've got each of the little rectangular plates bowing inwards a little, and larger scale very subtle crumple (actually took the texture from metal foil and toned it down). You can see how in some places it's more apparent than others when the light catches on it just so. Some of these layers are very subtle (like low single digit opacity on the normal map texture), but they still have an effect. All of this together makes a more complex surface that reacts to light in interesting ways.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 27, 2020

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
He's doing his best.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Captain Splendid posted:

He's doing his best.

Solid, cost-effective single-nozzle design with vectoring capability, opportunistically delivering thrust for attitude or velocity control in quantized packets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Captain Splendid posted:

He's doing his best.

"Of course green was sus, he had a goddamn gun"