Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i feel like all this stuff about whether you can save a bad movie in the edit is ignoring that ZSJL is gonna be like six hours long and consist largely of new footage.

like, this is more an Exorcist: The Beginning/Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist situation where, while the movies are very visibly related (what with being two different takes on the same premise, using the same cast and same sets and etc), they're also straight-up two different movies and not two different versions of one movie. given that, the Whedon movie isn't a very good barometer of how ZSJL is gonna turn out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

i feel like all this stuff about whether you can save a bad movie in the edit is ignoring that ZSJL is gonna be like six hours long and consist largely of new footage.

like, this is more an Exorcist: The Beginning/Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist situation where, while the movies are very visibly related (what with being two different takes on the same premise, using the same cast and same sets and etc), they're also straight-up two different movies and not two different versions of one movie

Yeah, "The Snyder Cut", it turns out, was a myth and a marketing ploy. What the people who were clamoring for it are getting is going to be "The Snyder Version". And it is still going to be an absolute disaster because its baseline factor is one Zachary Snyder.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

Also as a chaser, Sohla made scary candy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xtuczh5y68

I wish she had made something more interesting with the cilantro instead of simply gluing it to a kit kat.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You know, I’m very happy Joss Whedon has disappeared. I’ll thank Justice League for that if it helped. The sex monster stuff was revealed a few years earlier, right?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Dias posted:

So, Bafael has started a series on badly balanced characters in FGs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjS1imDYkVM

He hasn't touched on anything egregious so far, but just in case you're a semi-casual player and you wanna understand what makes a character top-tier/bottom-tier in competitive FGs, it's worth a watch.
if/when he gets to blazblue the knives can really come out. no pun intended

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

You know, I’m very happy Joss Whedon has disappeared. I’ll thank Justice League for that if it helped. The sex monster stuff was revealed a few years earlier, right?

I think that was post-Justice League; the post-Avengers, pre-Justice League era was just "Joss Whedon is a huge rear end in a top hat and hard to work with." Which had been known since like when Buffy was still on the air.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Was revealed just before JL premiered, iirc?

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, "The Snyder Cut", it turns out, was a myth and a marketing ploy. What the people who were clamoring for it are getting is going to be "The Snyder Version". And it is still going to be an absolute disaster because its baseline factor is one Zachary Snyder.

Nah, the snyder cut was always real, it's just that now Zack is getting the opportunity to add some of the stuff that was originally planned for the JL 2 parter, but was nixed when WB mandated he just do one JL film.

https://screenrant.com/justice-league-zack-snyder-cut-not-theatrical/

And no matter how it turns out I'm looking forward it ruining internet discussions for years to come.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, "The Snyder Cut", it turns out, was a myth and a marketing ploy. What the people who were clamoring for it are getting is going to be "The Snyder Version".

...so?

quote:

And it is still going to be an absolute disaster because its baseline factor is one Zachary Snyder.

so, like, sidebar, but this is kind of one of the things that irks me about Snyder discourse

this might shock y'all given how much I go to bat for him, but I'm not actually a huge fan of his movies. I think they're all somewhere in the area of "fine," with the primary exceptions ranking above that being Watchmen (largely because I consider the comic book unfilmable and grade the movie on a bit of a curve for successfully adapting it at all) and Man of Steel. even BvS is sort of a toss-up, because while I love all the wild rear end ideas and imagery Snyder was working with, the finished movie is janky as gently caress.

but, like... i've also seen so many worse movies, so many movies that are in an entirely different loving galaxy of bad from anything Snyder could possibly create, that this kind of statement just makes me think "motherfucker have you not heard of Tommy Wiseau or Uwe Boll or Albert Pyun." that's a lot of why i defend him: because the hatred of him seems just absolutely, bizarrely disproportionate compared to what he's actually putting out, and seems to be entirely because he's taking "sacred cow" IPs and doing weird poo poo with them.

there's a pretty solid set of expectations you can have by now going into a Snyder movie, and it's that the movie will be technically incredible, but that the script will more or less collapse under the weight of its own ambition and be somewhere on a spectrum of "dumb" to "janky as poo poo." that's nowhere near the worst a movie can be, nowhere near an "absolute disaster," and given a large majority of blockbusters just pretty much leave my mind the moment i finish them (did anyone see Bloodshot and actually remember a single moment of that movie 5 minutes after it was over?), i'll take that over those any day.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I hope you freaks get something you like out of the Snyder cut but please realise the people still arguing the technicalities of that one time Dan Olson pointed out that it wouldn't exist without millions of dollars of new filming might be the ones making the discourse unbearable.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

nine-gear crow posted:

That's kind of begging the question, isn't it? Zack Snyder has a style that, love it or hate it personally, has still proven very popular with at least some subset of the movie viewing audience.

I doubt any of the hashtag-releasethesnydercut people are going to be upset that the end result looks like a Snyder film.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

"Oh no, the Zack Snyder film I paid money for looks like a Zack Snyder film, I've been bamboozled!"

Mr Phillby posted:

I hope you freaks get something you like out of the Snyder cut but please realise the people still arguing the technicalities of that one time Dan Olson pointed out that it wouldn't exist without millions of dollars of new filming might be the ones making the discourse unbearable.

Being wrong is a hell of a technicality

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

nine-gear crow posted:

Again, this is exactly the kind of thing I talk about in the article - no-one actually anticipating the release of the Snyder Cut (or indeed any film) is confused by the notion of reshoots, or thinks there is any deception involved in saying "I want to release my original cut" then getting additional funding to make further changes. This is a conflict that exists entirely in the minds of people who are, for some reason, opposed to the very existence of the movie.

From what I wrote:

quote:

And so the Snyder Cut itself, and all of its fans, must be replaced by a series of simulacra. The original cut cannot have existed: instead of the simple fact of a box of film reels, there is the image of Snyder himself performing a catalysing deception, stringing fans along on a hopeless crusade that will never see success. In place of a film director happy to be allowed to finish a project, there must be a scam artist, ill intent behind his every motive. Will he trick the fans, lying about reshoots that will never take place? Will he trick the film studio into spending money on a doomed project? Or is he producing malevolent propaganda for his Ayn Rand views by hiding it in mass media? Take your pick.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

lunar detritus posted:

I wish she had made something more interesting with the cilantro instead of simply gluing it to a kit kat.

Yeah true, and I am a bit disappointed that she tempered dark chocolate to coat over the milk chocolates, but her mastery of caramel is impressive at least.

nine-gear crow posted:

I think you're shooting a bit high there. It'll be what his fans want, and everyone else will be somewhere in the range of moderately entertained to annoyed like with his other DC movies.

josh04 posted:

From what I wrote:

quote:

And so the Snyder Cut itself, and all of its fans, must be replaced by a series of simulacra. The original cut cannot have existed: instead of the simple fact of a box of film reels, there is the image of Snyder himself performing a catalysing deception, stringing fans along on a hopeless crusade that will never see success. In place of a film director happy to be allowed to finish a project, there must be a scam artist, ill intent behind his every motive. Will he trick the fans, lying about reshoots that will never take place? Will he trick the film studio into spending money on a doomed project? Or is he producing malevolent propaganda for his Ayn Rand views by hiding it in mass media? Take your pick.

Who exactly is saying this? I've seen people say it's a cynical ploy from the studio or that Zack Snyder might be politically sus, but not that this is some bizarre long con on his part.

Wasn't the whole point of the Snyder Cut discourse in line with like the "true ending" to MGSV theory or secret extra Sherlock episode: that there was either an extant mostly-finished movie sitting somewhere that would be substantially more satisfying than Whedon picking over Snyder's scraps? And evidently there's not if Snyder was approved to reshoot and get finished effects to make a 7 hour double movie?

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 26, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Srice posted:

I'm not sure how since A New Hope's original rough cut supposedly had a good amount of scenes not present in the final cut?

The main deleted scenes are ones with Luke and Biggs before Luke meets the droids, Han meeting Jabba, and some extra space stuff against the Death Star.

The other editing improvements were mostly reordering scenes, tighter cutting within scenes, and using inserts / different shots to improve things (notably making the Death Star attack Yavin).

Reposting this great video in case anybody interested hasn't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFMyMxMYDNk

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 26, 2020

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Please.....no more....Snyder discourse.... :negative:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

josh04 posted:

Again, this is exactly the kind of thing I talk about in the article - no-one actually anticipating the release of the Snyder Cut (or indeed any film) is confused by the notion of reshoots, or thinks there is any deception involved in saying "I want to release my original cut" then getting additional funding to make further changes. This is a conflict that exists entirely in the minds of people who are, for some reason, opposed to the very existence of the movie.

From what I wrote:

yes there were in fact people who thought a mostly-finished version of the Zack Snyder cut literally existed and it would take minimal effort to release it. you are trying to project your own thoughts and feelings onto an entire fandom because people who like the same things as you do but are also idiots cannot exist

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Jamie Faith posted:

NEVER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS27S3mspjU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Augus posted:

yes there were in fact people who thought a mostly-finished version of the Zack Snyder cut literally existed and it would take minimal effort to release it. you are trying to project your own thoughts and feelings onto an entire fandom because people who like the same things as you do but are also idiots cannot exist

We're not talking about people who thought this being 'idiots', we're talking about them being purposefully deceived in some way, which they clearly were not.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Who exactly is saying this? I've seen people say it's a cynical ploy from the studio or that Zack Snyder might be politically sus, but not that this is some bizarre long con on his part.

Wasn't the whole point of the Snyder Cut discourse in line with like the "true ending" to MGSV theory or secret extra Sherlock episode: that there was either an extant mostly-finished movie sitting somewhere that would be substantially more satisfying than Whedon picking over Snyder's scraps? And evidently there's not if Snyder was approved to reshoot and get finished effects to make a 7 hour double movie?

To answer your first point, the idea that there's a long con going on is implicit in the next thing you say - if there 'never was' a Snyder cut then the implication is that the whole thing is a scam. But there's no conflict between saying "I want to release a mostly-finished rough cut of this movie that I never finished" and then saying "I've been given a boatload of money to turn it into a miniseries" and that's evident in how, by and large, Snyder fans are still excited about the release of the Snyder cut while this fixation on "is this what was promised?" is the pursuit of people who actively aren't interested in seeing the film release.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

josh04 posted:

To answer your first point, the idea that there's a long con going on is implicit in the next thing you say - if there 'never was' a Snyder cut then the implication is that the whole thing is a scam. But there's no conflict between saying "I want to release a mostly-finished rough cut of this movie that I never finished" and then saying "I've been given a boatload of money to turn it into a miniseries" and that's evident in how, by and large, Snyder fans are still excited about the release of the Snyder cut while this fixation on "is this what was promised?" is the pursuit of people who actively aren't interested in seeing the film release.

That was always part of it though? Of course there was always some work print of what Snyder wanted before Whedon was pulled in. They had some test screenings for executives that were reported on and images of the film canisters with 3.5 hours of footage presumably in them. There also wasn't a Snyder Cut in the way we've been traditionally marketed "Director's Cuts" where you're delivered a re-edited version of the movie with complete effects and presumably all the finished shots and edits the director wanted, or at least what was available based on the filmed footage they had.

So who exactly was saying that people asking for a release of the work print were being scammed? Or who's saying any of this:

quote:

Will he trick the fans, lying about reshoots that will never take place? Will he trick the film studio into spending money on a doomed project? Or is he producing malevolent propaganda for his Ayn Rand views by hiding it in mass media?

And why exactly are they doing that?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The Snyder cut feels like one of those things the internet hypes op up as a huge event....only to release and it turns out no one cares

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Why can't ya'll be 'oh neat that thing we wanted that wasn't finished is being finished and then some at great expense, that's cool and good for us' rather than 'gently caress you for saying the thing we wanted to see would need to be finished at great expense, the fact that it's now being finished at great expense means that you were wrong'.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Honestly those type of fans should not be encouraged

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Synder is a terrible loving director and the whole idea of a "Synder cut" is dumb as hell and is not going to suddenly make the movie actually good, but hey I'm glad some people are getting what they want and I hope it brings them some joy.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Nuns with Guns posted:

That was always part of it though? Of course there was always some work print of what Snyder wanted before Whedon was pulled in. They had some test screenings for executives that were reported on and images of the film canisters with 3.5 hours of footage presumably in them. There also wasn't a Snyder Cut in the way we've been traditionally marketed "Director's Cuts" where you're delivered a re-edited version of the movie with complete effects and presumably all the finished shots and edits the director wanted, or at least what was available based on the filmed footage they had.

So who exactly was saying that people asking for a release of the work print were being scammed? Or who's saying any of this:

And why exactly are they doing that?

But again, this is a weird technicality that doesn't matter to people who want the Snyder cut - there was no rift within the 'movement' upon finding out that Snyder was getting to do reshoots or w/e. The people who care about this distinction, such as Dan Olson who made a whole video about it, are people who are not interested in the film being released.

I don't think you need me to turn up people suggesting that Snyder's film are trojan horses for Randianism, the idea Snyder has in some way pulled the wool over WB's eyes is implicit in all the monocle-dropping social media posts about the size of the reshoot budget, and the idea that the reshoots were a fantasy that the fans were being led along with was floated around the time Snyder was giving out reshoot slates as competition prizes - I don't have a citation for that one.

Mr Phillby posted:

Why can't ya'll be 'oh neat that thing we wanted that wasn't finished is being finished and then some at great expense, that's cool and good for us' rather than 'gently caress you for saying the thing we wanted to see would need to be finished at great expense, the fact that it's now being finished at great expense means that you were wrong'.

You may not have noticed, but politely expressing a positive opinion of Mr Snyder and his work has a habit of bringing out some very strong responses.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
You can't blame us for that we didn't make Suckerpunch.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

josh04 posted:

You may not have noticed, but politely expressing a positive opinion of Mr Snyder and his work has a habit of bringing out some very strong responses.

sealion.png

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jamie Faith posted:

I wish we could just above all these tedious internet people into the Hyperbolic Time Chamber with a bunch of swords and let them deal with it so we can move on, finally. 'Pineapple on pizza is a crime against God?' You're still not shutting up about Zach Snyder? Fine, kill each over it, or don't and please shut up about it afterwards. See you in a decade'

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Arist posted:

sealion.png

liking an unpopular piece of media is not sealioning. please stop attempting to co-opt social justice language for your war on the Bad Superman.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

josh04 posted:

your article was not a polite expression of how great Zack Snyder is, it was a bizarre and confused tirade about how terrible it is that people are going around acting like the Snyder Cut is a dumb idea\\

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

liking an unpopular piece of media is not sealioning. please stop attempting to co-opt social justice language for your war on the Bad Superman.

sealioning is not social justice language lol, it's just a meme making fun of an extremely annoying kind of person

Augus fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 26, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I'm not saying they're not allowed to like it, I'm saying that the "politeness" is uh, debatable at best. Also I don't think, despite its origins, that comic is inextricably tied to social justice. It's just useful for describing a certain genre of annoying person on the internet.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Getting hyper defensive over your bad Superman has kind of been the MO of Snyder fans since MOS released.

Like even M knight fans during his height weren’t this bad

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

You turn on your TV. At last, the Synder cut! You eagerly put it on, only to see a black screen with white text.

“Turn Around”

Zack Snyder is standing behind you. After a moment of silence, he pulls you in for a tight embrace. It is only then that you become aware of the emotional toll on your mental wellbeing. As you sob and release the years of pain and disappointment out of your heart, he hugs a little tighter and whispers in your ear that it’s over.

It’s finally over.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I think there should be a special IK for this thread whose only job is to probate anybody who makes a post containing the phrase Zack Snyder. The length of the probation should be equal to 6 hours times the number of posts already on that page that also mention Snyder.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Ariong posted:

I think there should be a special IK for this thread whose only job is to probate anybody who makes a post containing the phrase Zack Snyder. The length of the probation should be equal to 6 hours times the number of posts already on that page that also mention Snyder.

:agreed:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ariong posted:

loling at just how quickly it took after someone jokingly said "hey how about we go back to Zack Snyder discourse instead" for someone to immediately reply with their essay dismantling the tyranny of the Snyder haters

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Terrible Opinions posted:

Even if works I do not like, I can always empathize with the desire to expunge Wedon. Surely you can understand.

Also yeah don't forget JW is also a transphobe! He was liking JKR's transphobic tweets during her meltdown.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
can't believe he didn't change his Twitter name to Zack Spyder for halloween. where is his holiday spirit? why does he refuse to be festive?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Arist posted:

I'm not saying they're not allowed to like it, I'm saying that the "politeness" is uh, debatable at best. Also I don't think, despite its origins, that comic is inextricably tied to social justice. It's just useful for describing a certain genre of annoying person on the internet.

If you want to exclude me from your personal horse and carriage the ignore button is readily available.

Augus posted:

your article was not a polite expression of how great Zack Snyder is, it was a bizarre and confused tirade about how terrible it is that people are going around acting like the Snyder Cut is a dumb idea\\

Could you expand on 'bizarre and confused'? Even conceding that, I don't think it's rude, other than the essential rudeness of disagreeing with the people quoted. That said, I have previously written less combatitivly about what I like in Snyder's films.

Pants Donkey posted:

It’s finally over.

I'm genuinely interested in where Snyder discourse goes once the cut is out. The funniest (and also best) world is the one where it's unambiguously good, but more likely it's a weird acquired taste like BvS and beyond a few weeks of "there was no Snyder cut, this is clearly an all-new thing" I have no idea. Will he retain his essential power to derail any thread?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Augus posted:

sealioning is not social justice language lol, it's just a meme making fun of an extremely annoying kind of person
it's not a meme, it's a way to describe a specific kind of bad faith argument(which is not happening here, there just are people that like or are ok with synder movies)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

josh04 posted:

Could you expand on 'bizarre and confused'?

no

IronicDongz posted:

it's not a meme, it's a way to describe a specific kind of bad faith argument(which is not happening here, there just are people that like or are ok with synder movies)

do people just not understand where the sealioning thing came from

replace the word "sealions" with "Zack Snyder" and you will see where the resemblance is

this all being an unsubtle way of saying please shut the gently caress up about Zack Snyder

Augus fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 26, 2020