Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I'm using a wireless razer keyboard and mouse right now without synapse 3 with minimal issues (not sure if the issues are related to this system still being on win7 or not but I'm waiting for a new ssd to upgrade to win10). I did have to dig around and change a bunch of usb settings in 3 different places so that the pc would stop turning off usb ports willy nilly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My Razer Basilisk works just fine without a driver, but I don't use weird systems like Macs OS.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CaptainPsyko posted:

Once upon a time I had a Razer mouse that mapped the right click as button 4 or some poo poo, so actually, yes, run screaming maybe? I asked if they'd improved in that respect a while back and didn't get encouraging answers, so I went back to Logitech.
To be honest I have a hard time believing anyone could be that incompetent as to implement the standard class but map either of the two primary buttons in a non-standard way. Do you recall the model? Is this documented anywhere? I've never had a Razer mouse and while I hear their desktop software is kind of poo poo that's just a level of stupid that'd have to be intentional.

I've definitely encountered plenty of mice that map 3/4/5 in non-standard ways by default (my favorite mouse of all time, the Logitech MX Revolution, defaults to a wheel click toggling the wheel latch instead of being MOUSE3 like it should be, and quite a few don't have the back/forward buttons mapped to buttons 4/5 like they should be by default either, but I have never encountered anything that does something screwy with the main two buttons.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

a safe bet is to use what the pros are using. The low claw grips like viper, rival 300 and g pro wireless are heavily represented in pro dota especially among carry players. The death adder is probably the most used mouse overall in the pro moba scene but its almost always by players sponsored by Razer and they sponsor a full third of teams it seems

I can't actually find the latest data on what the dota pros are using. I believe most of them just use whatever they're sponsored to use. I think Deathadder is overrepresented because of Razer's aggressive marketing of it, and because it became kind of like a meme as well. In hindsight I think the Deathadder is quite awful in terms of shape and size, even though I used one for like 4 years.

I don't have any data to back this up but I feel like Dota is one of the few games where having a bigger mouse is the best. Maybe not a gigantic mouse like the EC1 or the Deathadder, but something bigger than the FK1 derivatives that have become ubiquitous for FPS stuff. Also I tried the Rival 300 for Dota 2 sometime in 2017 and I found that it's middle mouse button placement makes it next to impossible to drag scroll comfortably, so that's not really a good option for dota in my opinion.

Actually now I kinda wanna blow another 50 yuros on a more comfy RTS mouse, something with G502's shape but reduced weight. I'd still keep the Viper for FPS, light desktop use and left-handed use.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
A few years ago I switched to a logitech ball-on-top marble mouse and have been using that for ages. I sit on the couch so it helps a lot. I did find that I had to go down one difficulty level in fps's though because I instantly became terrible when using it. I started playing fps' with friends recently though and I tried my 2007 microsoft habu 'normal' gaming mouse which is missing a slide-pad thing at the bottom, one of them came off. The mouse seems to be in ok condition for being 13 years old. it was quite expensive back then I think, and I think Razer made it?

So I'm ordering a mousepad for the couch so I can actually use a proper mouse on the couch, and I'm wondering, would it help to buy a better mouse? Is my mouse outclassed or just poo poo these days? Or is it good enough? I want to be decent at FPS's and I realise it's not just about the mouse, but yeah maybe a better one might help a bit. I don't need special buttons to make it less sensitive for sniping, or whatever else is needed (I think the habu already has that? I don't use it), so 2 buttons and a scroll/click would be fine. Should I stick with the mouse I have or get some other mouse? I probably have mid-sized hands. I would only use it for fps'ing since due to RSI I use my marble mouse for doing other computer stuff like posting

redreader fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 24, 2020

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Sensors have come a long way, and laser sensors were always pretty bad from an accuracy standpoint (not inherent to laser technology but ubiquitous among the sensors using it). Mouse sensors had much lower max tracking speeds than the lowest tier of gaming mouse made today. You may have trouble running whatever config software existed back then if you need to change mouse settings for any reason.

But if you don't notice yourself spinning out, have adjusted to the response accuracy, and really like the form factor just pop some new skates on the bottom. You're right; a new mouse won't make you a better FPS player.

But if you're having RSI problems you might find it's worth buying a lighter mouse; 119g isn't jaw-dropping but you can do much better nowadays.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Yeah, mouse sensors improved pretty consistently and dramatically until maybe 2-3 years ago. Within the past year or so, wireless has become actually good, as in the straight up best gaming mice you can buy today are wireless. Mice are also typically much lighter now, with a lot of good options around 70 or 80 grams even for wireless mice. Another nice thing is ergo - a lot of the top mice are small and especially low height, which can really help your wrist feel better. The big weakness in most current mice is durability. Likely since everyone is trying to be super power efficient, the switches mostly aren't holding up as well as some older mice used to.

Is a newer mouse an advantage? Yes. What should you get? Depends a bit on your preferences, although I would encourage you to go light and low profile. I would suggest though that if you have RSI, playing on a couch is likely to be a bad idea. One of the biggest things you can do both to make yourself a better player and to prevent strain is to lower your mouse sensitivity, and a small mouse pad is unlikely to let you aim with minimal stress on your fingers and wrist. It will also likely put your wrist at an awkward angle that will contribute to damage/pain. However, if you can find a decent surface that will let your wrist sit at a natural angle and it has sufficient room that you aren't trying to do all your aiming with small fingertip movements, it may work out well.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Qmass posted:

does anyone find logitech mice have a clickier right button vs left?

No, and they pretty much always use the same exact switches for all of the mouse buttons, which I can confirm from having disassembled some.

On the other hand, I intentionally installed different switches (for LMB/RMB) in my G703 which does give the LMB a firmer click.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I have pretty bad carpal tunnel from swinging a hammer/using a flooring trowel too much and I managed to mostly pacify it by getting like a three foot deep mousepad that I can rest my entire forearm on and going down to 400 dpi, as well as giving up on wireless mice to find a shape that fits my hand better. I went from GPW to the viper ultimate to the XM1.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atomizer posted:

No, and they pretty much always use the same exact switches for all of the mouse buttons, which I can confirm from having disassembled some.

On the other hand, I intentionally installed different switches (for LMB/RMB) in my G703 which does give the LMB a firmer click.

you could probably make some easy cash modding mice to have a shorter actuation and softer spring. Butterfly clicking is becoming a big thing and people love to spend on fancy tools instead of learning properly.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

you could probably make some easy cash modding mice to have a shorter actuation and softer spring. Butterfly clicking is becoming a big thing and people love to spend on fancy tools instead of learning properly.

That's a thought, but I will say that the process wasn't particularly easy or quick. I posted about it in this thread, but I had to get into the mouse, which requires either removing & replacing the glides, or what I did, which was to drill through them (which worked perfectly.) Then there was the disassembly process, with a bunch of tiny screws, which were even more difficult to replace at the end. Next, de-soldering was the hardest part, which involves 3 posts per switch; my G703 used the same switches for all of the main buttons, and doing the DPI/side buttons is a lot of extra effort for diminishing returns compared to just the main switches. Soldering in the new switches is easy. Finally there's the reassembly, which involved some recesses that required an extended bit (to manipulate the aforementioned tiny screws.) After that there'd be some testing involved, and it took a little while of regular use to smooth out the drilled-through glides.

All-in-all, it perhaps took an hour to replace the two main switches, open-and-shut, without the aforementioned testing afterwards. It'd probably take less time the more I did it, but doing all the switches might still take a couple hours. I can't imagine how many ~gamers~ would spend an extra ~$100 or so to customize their, say, $150 mouse (e.g. G Pro wireless, or any of the other high-end Logitech ones I'm most familiar with) especially since by "customize" I mean "make it work like it should've from the factory especially for the asking price." And I wouldn't even blame people for not wanting to do or learn how to do this themselves; you really shouldn't be stuck buying new peripherals that are constructed with the straight-up wrong switches and shouldn't have to solder your drat mouse!

Also, as alluded to and mentioned in the past, I did what I did as a repair because of mis-clicking, not necessarily as a mod. I made sure to get micro-load switches, but went for a double-actuation force (1.47 N, the Omron D2F-01) for the LMB just out of curiosity; the RMB (which again was the only faulty one that necessitated the operation in the first place, got the most appropriate straight-up replacement in the D2F-01F, with the same 0.74 N actuation force.) I also ordered some Kailh GM Red switches (0.74 N, 100 mA) for future repairs, which look like good options (and would be worth considering if you didn't want to continue to put Omron switches in your mice.) I'll also drop in here that the whole issue isn't about the quality of the Chinese vs. Japanese switches, per se, but rather that the Chinese ones selected aren't micro-load and thus are the wrong choice for modern low-power mice. Anyways, while I can notice the difference between the two different switches, the difference isn't that noticeable if you weren't looking for it and I didn't tell you in advance; I don't think doing this as a mod is worth it, but is something you might as well explore if you had to replace some failed switches. I'd even suggest going with both of the double-force switches, or maybe the reverse of what I did, if you're prone to putting too much pressure on the RMB in particular and activating it unintentionally.

Beyond all that, my only other thought and/or hope is that the new optical switches that Razer uses will make these kinds of repairs unnecessary.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Is there a reason why these fancier mice and keyboards all need special programs to fully use all of their adjustable bits and programmable bobs? Are these features and standards too varied and crazy for Windows and drivers like other peripherals?

It always comes across like a sleazy marketing trick, but to be fair, I've never looked up what the difference is between a "driver" and a brand's specific software.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Roumba posted:

Is there a reason why these fancier mice and keyboards all need special programs to fully use all of their adjustable bits and programmable bobs? Are these features and standards too varied and crazy for Windows and drivers like other peripherals?

It always comes across like a sleazy marketing trick, but to be fair, I've never looked up what the difference is between a "driver" and a brand's specific software.

A little of column A and a little of B as well.

Windows *still* only natively supports only mouse buttons 1 - 5. There is no such thing as mouse6 as an input, so any mouse with more than 5 buttons has to start mapping functionality to something else, be that keyboard inputs, or routing it through something else to handle it as a macro of some kind. This is where a lot custom software functionality comes in: It's acting as a way to fake more than 5 buttons on a mouse.

Same thing with Keyboards with special functionality. You can embed functionality into the hardware of the keyboard, but it means that without a driver, you can't update or change it. For example, my keyboard is equipped with a button to open the calculator app without any special driver to handle it, but if Windows changes how the keyboard hooks that functionality, or if it changes the calculator app to something other than, 'calc', that button is effectively dead with no real way to fix it. This would not be a problem with a driver, where you could easily capture the input and then just remap it accordingly.

Even with that, there are other ways of handling some extended keyboard and mouse inputs without a manufacturer's driver, but it's frequently unreliable and you of course have little to no official support.

Personally, I will not use a keyboard that requires a driver to access it's functionality. My current board is a Ducky Shine 2013. It has a ton of func that's completely driverless. The cost is that you have to learn how to modify it's func via a series of func key inputs on the hardware. I wouldn't trade this board for anything though - it's pretty fantastic. My general purpose mouse is still a G502, but I use X-Mouse Button Control to extract as much func as I can out of it without having to lean on Logitech's Software.

What I'd personally like to see from manufacturer's is two versions of their software: The 'normal' one featuring a pretty, brightly colored GUI that's obnoxious to use and pretty terrible on every axis besides 'looks', and then a power user GUI that's just a win forms app that prioritizes functionality over everything else. Hide it on your site somewhere. Put it on Github or whatever. I feel like X-Mouse Button Control might just die one day and there is no way I'm going to be able to get this func ever again.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness
Begging the collective thread wisdom.

I'm looking for mouse, ideally wireless, that I can claw-grip and that has a scroll wheel with a distinct quantized click effect. I'm currently using the Microsoft Optical Mouse 3500, which works pretty well until the click mechanism wears down even after cleaning. I want to be able to scroll and feel the click happen.

I'd be delighted to find a l33t gaming mouse that does the same with additional buttons, or RGB, or DPI settings, but they're not essential, what is essential is that it's not a goddamn freewheeling scroll wheel, and that I can claw it with three fingers. Since no-one puts mice out on display any more, and no-one accurately images mice on grid paper or describes the scroll wheel, you guys are my only hope :)

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

K8.0 posted:

Another nice thing is ergo - a lot of the top mice are small and especially low height, which can really help your wrist feel better.

It's kind of interesting that it took like 7 years for everyone to realize that "hold on, why bother with these weird asymmetrical gamer shapes when that basic office mouse shape works best", with basically everyone copying and riffing off the FK1's shape now.

Anyway, my issues with the Viper's size got a lot more obvious while playing more RTS stuff today. I can't quite grip and move the mouse properly while doing a lot of drag scrolling and alternating m1-m2 clicking, and it feels a little fiddly. Feels kind of sad because I like the mouse a lot otherwise, especially for FPS. I've decided to order the DM1 FPS on a hunch, seeing as it's basically the same shape with a teensy bit more height and a wider butt, which is what I felt the Viper was missing. I only hope the switches won't be too stiff, though I've gotten used to the EC1's so they can't be that bad. I also thought about getting a GPW, but I don't think I want to pay 120 euros for a gaming mouse and possibly deal with double-clicking issues later.

If the DM1 FPS can't pull double-duty with FPS and RTS then I'll probably have to go on an all-new hunt to find a cheap RTS/moba/high-apm-work mouse. If anyone happens to know a cheap-ish mouse with a shape similar to the G502 but without its heavy weight, awkward gamer buttons or double-click issues, do reply to me!!

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 25, 2020

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Cefte posted:

I'm looking for mouse, ideally wireless, that I can claw-grip and that has a scroll wheel with a distinct quantized click effect. I'm currently using the Microsoft Optical Mouse 3500, which works pretty well until the click mechanism wears down even after cleaning. I want to be able to scroll and feel the click happen.

I'd be delighted to find a l33t gaming mouse that does the same with additional buttons, or RGB, or DPI settings, but they're not essential, what is essential is that it's not a goddamn freewheeling scroll wheel, and that I can claw it with three fingers. Since no-one puts mice out on display any more, and no-one accurately images mice on grid paper or describes the scroll wheel, you guys are my only hope :)

As someone who just got one about a week ago, you might want to give the Razer Basilisk Ultimate a shot. Very solid wireless mouse for me so far and the dock is convenient and has a usb slot you can stick the dongle in.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

Bakalakadaka posted:

As someone who just got one about a week ago, you might want to give the Razer Basilisk Ultimate a shot. Very solid wireless mouse for me so far and the dock is convenient and has a usb slot you can stick the dongle in.
Good lord, for £150 it better the the one giving me the shot. Any reason you'd recommend it over say, the V2, outside the dock?

demostars
Apr 8, 2020

Cefte posted:

There's always this site to visually compare mice, and they've seemed pretty accurate comparing the mice I have on this list to the diagrams: https://gearsearch.gg/shape.html

Either way, coming from such a small mouse, I'd think if you want to stay wireless the Logitech G305 would be the most similar and easier to claw than the Baselisk. However, I'd be worried that the scroll wheel might not be clicky enough for you and there's usually eventually problems with Logitech switches like Atomizer posted about on this page. Here's a listen to and description of the mouse buttons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20ZXAEiiKMU&t=258s

From first hand experience, I'd say my favorite scroll wheel on a mouse actually is on the Cooler Master MM710/711, which is another small and lightweight mouse that you might like. People like to complain about their QC too, but my copy has been solid when I was using it.

Here's a video about the Basilisk's differences from the same guy as the G305 video if you would like to maybe use a larger mouse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2STSsiCBHPw

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

demostars posted:

There's always this site to visually compare mice, and they've seemed pretty accurate comparing the mice I have on this list to the diagrams: https://gearsearch.gg/shape.html

This website is amazing how have I not seen it before.

Sadly, my beloved Logitech G700s isn't here so I can't use it to figure out what the closest thing in the world to that is. :(

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

CaptainPsyko posted:

This website is amazing how have I not seen it before.

Sadly, my beloved Logitech G700s isn't here so I can't use it to figure out what the closest thing in the world to that is. :(

Logitech G603 or a G403 seem like fairly close analogues to it, but I wouldn't hesitate to try other stuff too. A lot of people have gotten used to mice that are too big/tall for them. For me specifically, any mice with a tall hump (usually mice over 4.0cm in height) tend to strain my arm after longer sessions.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 26, 2020

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Minorkos posted:

Logitech G603 or a G403 seem like fairly close analogues to it, but I wouldn't hesitate to try other stuff too. A lot of people have gotten used to mice that are too big/tall for them. For me specifically, any mice with a tall hump (usually mice over 4.0cm in height) tend to strain my arm after longer sessions.

the indentation for the thumb on the left is much more aggressive

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Cefte posted:

Good lord, for £150 it better the the one giving me the shot. Any reason you'd recommend it over say, the V2, outside the dock?

Not familiar with the V2 - I got it because it looked like what I wanted and was fine with that price. Suggested it for you because it's wireless and the scroll wheel is pretty nice! There's another wheel embedded in the underside of it that changes the resistance of the scroll wheel.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I’m looking at moving my several year old G502 to my work laptop and purchasing a new G502 for my personal desktop. I’ve seen mixed reviews on the G502 Hero, which does make me wary (supposedly higher failure rate on left click but taking that with a grain of salt). I’ve also considered grabbing the wireless version, but it’s a big price jump: $50 wired versus $120 wireless. Has anyone used these models and have thoughts?

I’ve also considered the cheaper wireless G602, but the G502 fits my relatively small hand so well. I may have to compare them in person.

Edit: I somehow missed some of recent posts about the G502s and the comparison to the Razer Basilisk... I had a Razer mouse about 3 years ago that was decent but never felt as good as Logitech mice did and was a little too big. Maybe I should go back and look at the Basilisk.

broken pixel fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 26, 2020

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

Bakalakadaka posted:

Suggested it for you because it's wireless and the scroll wheel is pretty nice! There's another wheel embedded in the underside of it that changes the resistance of the scroll wheel.

demostars posted:

Cheers, you're both stars. Will set out and report back.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

broken pixel posted:

I’m looking at moving my several year old G502 to my work laptop and purchasing a new G502 for my personal desktop. I’ve seen mixed reviews on the G502 Hero, which does make me wary (supposedly higher failure rate on left click but taking that with a grain of salt). I’ve also considered grabbing the wireless version, but it’s a big price jump: $50 wired versus $120 wireless. Has anyone used these models and have thoughts?

I’ve also considered the cheaper wireless G602, but the G502 fits my relatively small hand so well. I may have to compare them in person.

Edit: I somehow missed some of recent posts about the G502s and the comparison to the Razer Basilisk... I had a Razer mouse about 3 years ago that was decent but never felt as good as Logitech mice did and was a little too big. Maybe I should go back and look at the Basilisk.

I got a wireless 502 that immediately had the left click issues and returned it to get the wireless Basilisk. They have a very similar feel overall but the Basilisk just... works normally. I still have an old wired 502 (like 5+ years old) on a work PC that works fine but I don't see myself trying any high-end logitech mice again anytime soon.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Roumba posted:

If they don't have their own special programs and drivers then they can't collect all of the super important information they need from users in order to "improve their product".

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I got a replacement G Pro Wireless from Logitech and now the mouse doesn't sleep when the PC does. I'm using the new cable/receiver it came with and I reconfigured it in GHub. Looking online seems like there's a few potential options. Anyone else? Maybe I should reinstall the software since I don't think I did that. It has updated recently though.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Bakalakadaka posted:

I got a wireless 502 that immediately had the left click issues and returned it to get the wireless Basilisk. They have a very similar feel overall but the Basilisk just... works normally. I still have an old wired 502 (like 5+ years old) on a work PC that works fine but I don't see myself trying any high-end logitech mice again anytime soon.

Good to know! I think I'll look at the Basilisk, then. Time to decide if I want to go all in on wireless or continue with wired.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

The DM1 FPS arrived. Seeing as no one in this thread has really talked about it before, I figured I'd post about it. Admittedly it's a little easier to palm than the Viper thanks to its size and hump position, but overall the shape doesn't seem that great. There's a lot of aggressive, clunky angles throughout the mouse that make it hard to move my fingers around. Holding it after holding the Razer Viper makes this especially prominent, since the Viper does an excellent job at accommodating my fingers despite its similar shape. The buttons are also pretty stiff with a lot of travel time. The middle mouse button is difficult to press while palming the mouse due to the button's position. At least the side buttons are surprisingly good. Probably not a bad mouse, especially for the price, but I bought it explicitly for ergonomics and it's not better than the Viper in regards to them.

Anyway, my arm has recovered enough that using mice has become easier in general, so my current mice don't feel nearly as awkward as before. I'm probably going to stick to swapping between my new Razer Viper and my old EC1 for now. Maybe if Razer comes out with a Razer Viper XL or Logitech makes a GPW that doesn't have its QA issues then I'll get one of those. Hopefully this will be the end of this mouse hunt saga.

Edit: Oh my Razer Viper has button wobble and some vertical rattle now. Welp. It doesn't really hamper the mouse's use (yet), but it is annoying. Doesn't this mean I can return the mouse at any time and get a full refund now in the EU? I figure I might as well keep using it unless something better comes up.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 30, 2020

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Anyone know how well the Logitech M705 works with USB switches? I want to put the unifying receiver into a USB switch so I can switch between using my mouse on my PC and on my Macbook (when it's plugged into the switch). I've tried to connect the mouse to my MPB via a Caldigit TS3 hub, but it didn't work - I needed to attach it directly via a USB->T3 adapter.

Also, any recommendations for said USB switches? It'd only be for my mouse and keyboard.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

broken pixel posted:

I have a G502 several years old, more than 4 I think, which I replaced with a 502SE Hero almost a year ago. By January or so this year it started to develop double click issues and I just couldn't take it anymore by June. In July I started the RMA process with Logitech. In September they said that they approved the replacement, but they don't have any in stock, wait until mid-October. It's November now and still nothing. In the meantime I'm using my old 502. I'm wary of Logitech now.

Edit: I just got the email from Logitech that they shipped my mouse. Gonna hold on buying a new one until I see how this one is going. But I won't put up with these issues for as long as I did before.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 6, 2020

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I have gone through a few different things trying to find something that works for my hand. I'm currently back to using my CADmouse despite it frankly being way too heavy for my hand, but it's the best option I have right now.
My thoughts so far after trying atleast ten:

-I desperately need a wide mouse, probably with something I can keep my fingers from gripping against too hard. my pinkie finger at this point can't handle dragging on a surface or driving the horizontal movement or lifting.
-no matter what, I'm probably gonna have to rubberize it. The finish on these things have caused a huge portion of my finger issues due to over-gripping and shifting too much. I've done some of that on the cadmouse but I'm ordering more rubber pads to put across the whole thing now.
-middle mouse scroll wheel buttons on a ton of mice are ridiculously tight, to the point pressing them down feels incredibly painful after only a few minutes. While I've been able to mitigate it in Blender, other programs tend to rely on it too much for me to ignore this.

The closest I got to a solution was bizarrely the Madcatz RAT8+, largely because it's just as wide as the CADmouse, had an optional pinkie rest attachment and rubber palm, and wasn't particularly heavy. (also you could liftoff by tilting it back really easy.) The downside was the middle mouse and scrollwheel hurt tremendously to use.
At this point, i don't think a real solution exists for my hosed up hand aside from going into vertical mice, and that's a market that gets really weird to guage. I may even just try scanning my CADmouse and 3D printing a some parts to glue onto it or something.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Do you use your ring finger for right clicking and that's why your pinkie+thumb are squeezing to control the mouse?

I have a similar wish for a wide ring finger and pinkie shelf so they can stay mostly in plane with my pointer and middle while not sliding on the mouse pad. I swear mice are designed for tiny people or creatures with only 3 or 4 fingers on each hand. I'm not exactly a giant (6'1" 155lb)185cm 72kg I think? but drat.

Roumba fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 10, 2020

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla
I'm currently in the market for a new mouse. I've been a Death adder user for the past 5 years and loved them. My latest one is starting to double click every time I click, so I'm looking to replace it. I'd like to keep the same size/feel of that mouse, but upgrade to a wireless one. Things I like are a couple side buttons for back and forwards, good feel, and not a ton of wild MMO-esque buttons on it.

I'd like to be able to play Cyberpunk on my TV when it comes out, which is about a max of 20 feet away from my PC. Any recommendations on what would be similar to the death adder in feel and size but also quality with a good range?

Currently thinking about these
https://www.rtings.com/mouse/reviews/razer/basilisk-ultimate
https://www.rtings.com/mouse/reviews/razer/viper-ultimate
https://www.rtings.com/mouse/reviews/logitech/g-pro-wireless

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

GeauxSteve posted:

I'm currently in the market for a new mouse. I've been a Death adder user for the past 5 years and loved them. My latest one is starting to double click every time I click, so I'm looking to replace it. I'd like to keep the same size/feel of that mouse, but upgrade to a wireless one. Things I like are a couple side buttons for back and forwards, good feel, and not a ton of wild MMO-esque buttons on it.

I'd like to be able to play Cyberpunk on my TV when it comes out, which is about a max of 20 feet away from my PC. Any recommendations on what would be similar to the death adder in feel and size but also quality with a good range?

Currently thinking about these
https://www.rtings.com/mouse/reviews/razer/basilisk-ultimate
https://www.rtings.com/mouse/reviews/razer/viper-ultimate
https://www.rtings.com/mouse/reviews/logitech/g-pro-wireless

If that is your price range and love the DeathAdder why not get the Razer DeathAdder V2 Pro?

That being said I got the Viper Ultimate last week and love the thing so far. Great size and feel while being stupidly lighter than any mouse I've used before. Highly recommend.

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla

jabro posted:

If that is your price range and love the DeathAdder why not get the Razer DeathAdder V2 Pro?

That being said I got the Viper Ultimate last week and love the thing so far. Great size and feel while being stupidly lighter than any mouse I've used before. Highly recommend.

Oh nice I didn't realize they had a wireless version

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

GeauxSteve posted:

Oh nice I didn't realize they had a wireless version

Just released a few weeks ago. Reviews basically says it's a DeathAdder but wireless. If you love the wired version you'll love the wireless version. I probably initially would have gone with it over the Viper but I have this whole white motif going on and Razer usually waits a year to release Mercury versions of their mice.

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla
Awesome! I think I'm going to go with that.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Roumba posted:

Do you use your ring finger for right clicking and that's why your pinkie+thumb are squeezing to control the mouse?

I have a similar wish for a wide ring finger and pinkie shelf so they can stay mostly in plane with my pointer and middle while not sliding on the mouse pad. I swear mice are designed for tiny people or creatures with only 3 or 4 fingers on each hand. I'm not exactly a giant (6'1" 155lb)185cm 72kg I think? but drat.

Yes, exactly. I've been trying to swap my hand placement but splaying my hands too far doesn't work too well. It's really bizarre how wide mice just aren't really a thing anymore, atleast not like the 2000s era experimental shapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Roumba posted:

In the gaming sphere, you would basically need a very tall ergo mouse like the EC1 (very big) or maybe a Glorious Model D (somewhat smaller) to rest your entire hand with all its fingers on it. Though I'd maybe rather use the FK1+-B since it's very long and wide, but still has a low profile, so it's more comfortable to actually rest your hand on it when you do. That said, both the EC1 and FK1 have felt unnecessarily bulky for me, even as a 6'3 dude and with some fairly large hands.

As far as I know, most gaming mice now are designed in such a way that when you are aiming, you'll raise your palm slightly, tense your hand and actively grip the mouse with your ring finger and thumb while your pinky mostly hangs off the side. Gaming mice are often smaller so that there is a bit of flex space for the mouse to move inside your palm for pinpoint aiming and such. These design choices make a lot of sense when you're going for flick headshots and sniping and so on, but if you're lazily moving your mouse around while working then yeah, your fingers will probably drag across your mousepad. It personally doesn't bother me, and in fact I still end up coming back to the smaller and lighter Razer Viper for work stuff even after using bigger mice. I think once you get out of wanting to full-on gorilla palm grip every mouse, smaller mice start to make a lot more sense. With the Viper specifically, I can grip it in a ton of different ways while swapping hands to reduce strain, thanks to its light, nimble and asymmetrical design, whereas something like the EC1 only really accommodates a right-handed palm grip.

Diabetes Forecast posted:

Yes, exactly. I've been trying to swap my hand placement but splaying my hands too far doesn't work too well. It's really bizarre how wide mice just aren't really a thing anymore, atleast not like the 2000s era experimental shapes.

I think if your fingers dragging across your mouse surface feels like a problem, I'd say that's more of a problem with your mousepad or your hand than the mouse. I've been using my mouse for like 10 hours a day since forever, and my fingers drag across my mousepad all the time, and it has never been a problem for me. If your pinky finger is abnormally sore then you might just want to cover it with something when you work. A lot of your ergonomic issues might also go away with some type of physical therapy. Doing wrist exercises helped me when I had tendonitis and every mouse gave me hand pain.