Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Roadie posted:

Check third-party bigcorps like Best Buy, too. They're more likely to have sales on random things.

Ah, good tip. I wonder if we can stick it out until November, hmm hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Just ordered a pack of original apple stickers. My macbooks never feel complete without one on the back covering the apple logo.

That and the technics turntable sticker right under it.

The technics stickers were $20 for 2 :(

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My boss is asking for a new 13" MBP touchbar to replace his old one. The Apple website says the current one offers an i7 but there's only i5 models in their store. Am I missing something? He had an i7 before and will want a matching model.

EDIT: Oh I see now, you have to select the i5 model before you see the option for the i7.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 19, 2020

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Roadie posted:

That's not how patents work.

Perhaps I was unclear--I was insinuating that Apple stopped using MagSafe in their products because they realized/thought it would be too costly or otherwise onerous to implement in their mobile ecosystem. Removing the only viable option with it reduced the impetus for competitors to try and make something similar that they would have to compete with.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm almost certain they stopped using MagSafe because, with USB-C, they could get away with having only a single type of port (AUX excepted). If you want less holes on your laptop, you also don't want a proprietary charging port, no matter how dope it is.

I wonder if there will ever be a completely portless Mac. It'll have a terrible keyboard, but it would still be cool.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
That doesn't explain why Lightning exists, though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It's thinner than USB-C.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

jokes posted:

I'm almost certain they stopped using MagSafe because, with USB-C, they could get away with having only a single type of port (AUX excepted). If you want less holes on your laptop, you also don't want a proprietary charging port, no matter how dope it is.

I wonder if there will ever be a completely portless Mac. It'll have a terrible keyboard, but it would still be cool.

I also miss Magsafe, but it also had a lot of issues.

Most people I know would wear out the cords of their Magsafe chargers within a year or so, it would disconnect and stop charging for no reason on occasion and it was also just another cable you had to lug around with you.

I'm pretty sure Apple has always wanted there to be "one true cable" even back in the early 90s, but we're really still not there yet and it's pretty annoying.

I embraced USB-C for charging though once I realized that I can charge my work phone, switch, work computer, and laptop with one small charging brick. I travel a lot and it's honestly great to just have one charger in my bag.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
It still amazes me that they made the iPhone12 thinner, but kept the exact same camera bump. Meaning that if they had kept the iPhone12 the same thickness as the 11, there wouldn't be a camera bump AND there would have been better battery life. :allears:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Phones are different and Lightning was first implemented to replace the nightmarish 30-pin connector. USB-C is a computer thing, Lightning is a phone thing-- Lightning caps out at like 12W; good luck charging a computer via Lightning. There's also basically zero uses for Lightning cords other than "charge your iPhone", whereas USB-C has a lot of device manufacturers adopting it. It also allows poo poo like eGPUs, and Apple gets to use "Thunderbolt" branding.

If you're saying "why don't they put USB-C onto phones" that's a really good question that everyone is asking because it's better in every way other than: 1) Lightning is proprietary and 2) there are a fuckload of them out there, and 3) they're probably looking to make a completely cordless iPhone.

e: Also, yeah this is crucial: Lightning is very small and thin and lightweight.

jokes fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 19, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

64bit_Dophins posted:

Most people I know would wear out the cords of their Magsafe chargers within a year or so, it would disconnect and stop charging for no reason on occasion and it was also just another cable you had to lug around with you.

Wasn't that in part because it was an early generation of the low-environmental-impact plastics that Apple was starting to use back then? I thought that was independent of the plug shape.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Subjunctive posted:

Wasn't that in part because it was an early generation of the low-environmental-impact plastics that Apple was starting to use back then? I thought that was independent of the plug shape.

I don't remember but that would make sense.

The first gen magsafe charger I had with my polycarb white macbook 4,1 never had any issues and held up great.

The newer magsafe 1 and all of the magsafe 2 adapters I had after that fell to bits after a few years.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Anecdata :rolleye:

Both magsafe 1 chargers for my mid-2012 are still going strong with their new owner. It was a great thing and I'm still annoyed that my 16" doesn't have it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Why not have a magnet on the part that goes to the wall, and USB-C on the part that plugs into the computer? That way there'd be the same computer holes but it'd still be trip-proof.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Last Chance posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure if Windows has ever fully/natively supported booting from a usb drive, bootcamp or no.

A few months ago I borked the efi on a hackintosh laptop and couldn’t get the thing to boot from the internal ssd. I pulled the hdd out of an old windows laptop, stuck it in a usb dock, and was able to boot from it no problem (apart from it being incredibly slow). I was shocked that it worked, tbh

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Do you think 100gb is enough for a Windows 10 dual boot solution?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
didn’t microsoft make windows-to-go or whatever it was called explicitly as a live-USB windows solution?

teppichporsche posted:

Do you think 100gb is enough for a Windows 10 dual boot solution?

depends on your use cases, of course. 100gb total drive size between both OSes? no. i mean it’ll work but be a pain. 100gb just for windows is plenty but if you’re gaming or something, some games are like 60+ gigs these days

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

mediaphage posted:

didn’t microsoft make windows-to-go or whatever it was called explicitly as a live-USB windows solution?

Yes, but it is no longer supported: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/planning/windows-to-go-overview

mediaphage posted:

depends on your use cases, of course. 100gb total drive size between both OSes? no. i mean it’ll work but be a pain. 100gb just for windows is plenty but if you’re gaming or something, some games are like 60+ gigs these days

Thanks, I was wondering because Apple recommends at least 128gb. I was thinking on using it for some older or smaller games. Current-Gen 3d games won't run anyways.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

teppichporsche posted:

Yes, but it is no longer supported: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/planning/windows-to-go-overview

Thanks, I was wondering because Apple recommends at least 128gb. I was thinking on using it for some older or smaller games. Current-Gen 3d games won't run anyways.

i like how they're all "doesn't support feature releases so you won't be current!11!!" yeah well most of your feature releases are loving terrible

worst case it looks like builds pre-2k4 still work and presumably get security updates.

fwiw if the game you're playing doesn't require much at all in the way of GPU, you might find an easier time of just emulating. and microsoft provides all sorts of free, pre-built windows images for testing purposes.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

skull mask mcgee posted:

So, I just spilled wine on my 2015 MBP. It shut down within a few seconds. Is it at all salvageable or am I as hosed as I assume I am?

Managed to get this working again after cleaning what I could of the inside out without ripping up the battery. The trackpad, keyboard, and screen aren't working, but it's spent probably 90% of this year plugged into a monitor at my desk anyways, so that's not a huge deal.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Consensus is to wait for arm MacBooks right? Laptops

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

beergod posted:

Depends entirely on your needs and maybe some unknowns about them at this point.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
At this point if you're looking at a Macbook you may as well wait through November-ish for the ARM laptops even if you don't want one, so then you can buy the current stuff cheaper.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I got an 8th gen iPad the other day and damm it is the fastest thing in my house for web browsing by a mile. If an arm MacBook can be made substantially faster by not needing to be restrained by heat and size constraints sign me up.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah I would at least wait until we have some specifics about the new Arm MacBooks before buying something right now.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

beergod posted:

Doesn’t really seem like a consensus on this at all

I use Bootcamp somewhat frequently so that’s a really obvious issue

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fallom posted:

Doesn’t really seem like a consensus on this at all

I use Bootcamp somewhat frequently so that’s a really obvious issue

Unless I needed a new machine because I was literally unable to move forward in a project or something, I would at least wait to see what’s released and whether they’ll pull a lever and readjust the Intel offerings or their prices. This close out I would wait even if I had zero interest in an ARMbook but that’s just me.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I mean it’s even possible the armmac is better at running x86 than intel, or have better performance/$ because it runs x86 10% slower but costs 20% less.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

would be fun if apple eventually re-implemented bootcamp but just made it some kind of container/vm that you boot into via some kind of "rosetta mode" where there's no performance overhead from macOS

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
^^^ It'd be fun, but Rosetta 2 doesn't really work that way so it's not something they could just whip up, and it' would perform worse. They get to take advantage of several things in Rosetta 2 to make it go fast:

1. Static translation of the entire app's binary. That won't work for all of windows, it'd have to be a plain JIT with worse performance. Perhaps not a showstopper given that Rosetta falls back to JIT when static translation can't work, but

2. Rosetta only has to emulate the user-visible portions of x86 required by programs targeted at x86-64 Darwin. This is a big one.

3. It doesn't have to emulate I/O devices. This is also a big one.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Just give me a Windows ARM VM and let that side handle the x86 (and soon x64) emulated Windows stuff. Should be faster than a full on emulated VM.

MS can do it themselves and sell it as Virtual PC!

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??
I have a 2012 Mac Mini that has issues with my 27 inch 1440p monitor over display port. Sometimes it'll work and accept the signal but most times the monitor says there's no signal and it was worse when I'd wake the computer up from sleep. The monitor works over HDMI but only at 1080p which is what I've been doing for the past while but I'd like to have the higher resolution.

Anybody have any ideas on what the issue could be? I feel like it's a hardware issue at this point.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

infinite99 posted:

I have a 2012 Mac Mini that has issues with my 27 inch 1440p monitor over display port. Sometimes it'll work and accept the signal but most times the monitor says there's no signal and it was worse when I'd wake the computer up from sleep. The monitor works over HDMI but only at 1080p which is what I've been doing for the past while but I'd like to have the higher resolution.

Anybody have any ideas on what the issue could be? I feel like it's a hardware issue at this point.

Try another cable?

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Try another cable?

I'm trying to remember if I ever actually tried that and I'm not sure if I have haha. Any cable recommendations or is anything cheap from Amazon pretty good?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

infinite99 posted:

I'm trying to remember if I ever actually tried that and I'm not sure if I have haha. Any cable recommendations or is anything cheap from Amazon pretty good?

Startech

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

We use Startech and Cable Matters in our lab at work because they're solid and always adhere to whatever standards. They aren't necessarily pretty and often times their cables are thick as poo poo, but they rarely fail or have funky issues, they just seem to work.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

FCKGW posted:

We use Startech and Cable Matters in our lab at work because they're solid and always adhere to whatever standards. They aren't necessarily pretty and often times their cables are thick as poo poo, but they rarely fail or have funky issues, they just seem to work.

Thanks! I'll check out a new cable and see if that fixes things.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Depending on whether cost is a concern, I've always had great success with Accell cables too.

Ununpentium
Sep 4, 2006
Inside the Island of Stability

Martytoof posted:

Unless I needed a new machine because I was literally unable to move forward in a project or something, I would at least wait to see what’s released and whether they’ll pull a lever and readjust the Intel offerings or their prices. This close out I would wait even if I had zero interest in an ARMbook but that’s just me.

I'm in the same boat. I've got a mid-2012 unibody 15" that isn't eligible to upgrade to Big Sur, and that is starting to show some age. I thought about picking up a used 2015 15" retina, , but the processor in that one is only one generation newer than mine, and I couldn't really justify the price per performance given how much better current offerings are.

I'm not tied to a Mac, as nearly all of the Mac OS software I run can be found on Windows. If anything, moving to a Windows machine would be a lot easier so I wouldn't need to run a VM anymore and basically maintain two OSes. But, my household runs on iPads on iPhones, and having a Mac just makes some things easier.

I think I will likely update my current rig to Catalina with a fresh install (still running on High Sierra) and then see what happens. Windows on ARM performance is supposedly getting better, and if Microsoft will allow that to run on a Mac then I think that will be an easy way to go. But if that doesn't happen, then I'd likely just move back to Windows rather than buy a final Intel Mac and a platform that could quickly become obsolete on the Mac side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ununpentium posted:

I'm in the same boat. I've got a mid-2012 unibody 15" that isn't eligible to upgrade to Big Sur, and that is starting to show some age. I thought about picking up a used 2015 15" retina, , but the processor in that one is only one generation newer than mine, and I couldn't really justify the price per performance given how much better current offerings are.

I'm not tied to a Mac, as nearly all of the Mac OS software I run can be found on Windows. If anything, moving to a Windows machine would be a lot easier so I wouldn't need to run a VM anymore and basically maintain two OSes. But, my household runs on iPads on iPhones, and having a Mac just makes some things easier.

I think I will likely update my current rig to Catalina with a fresh install (still running on High Sierra) and then see what happens. Windows on ARM performance is supposedly getting better, and if Microsoft will allow that to run on a Mac then I think that will be an easy way to go. But if that doesn't happen, then I'd likely just move back to Windows rather than buy a final Intel Mac and a platform that could quickly become obsolete on the Mac side.

I imagine that a Magic Keyboard 15” with 6 or 8 cores would be a solid and lasting upgrade to your 2012.

The used value on those tanked after the 16” came out.