Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bean Bandit
Jan 25, 2003

I'm looking for the opinions of those who drive Rams from 2016 and on.

What are your thoughts on how it rides? Smooth, bumpy? Is it quiet or loud?

What kind of Ram do you drive? Are you happy with the hauling ability, mileage, interior amenities? Would you buy one again?

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Bean Bandit posted:

What kind of Ram do you drive? Are you happy with the hauling ability, mileage, interior amenities? Would you buy one again?

Thank you!

I own a 2018 3500 4x4 6.7 H.O. cummins, aisin, crew cab, short box, tradesman. Driven just about all of them, 1/2 ton or 3/4. Haven’t been lucky enough to drive a TRX.

Mine is a rough riding, slow, loud (compared to ford and GM) and shockingly tough truck. I hit a deer with it last week and did basically no damage. Its fuel mileage is excellent, unladen its easy to be in the 20s at highway speed. No mechanical issues yet but its only got 41k on it. Changing the fuel filters is a bitch, piss poor design choices. I regularly tow with it, has plenty of power, but its not overpowered and with my fifth wheel its got issues merging up steep grades. Its not scary bad, but it could use 50 more horsepower. Plenty of torque if your already at speed. We also use it to haul feed and it has no problems with 2500lbs in the bed. In fact, it rides much nicer.

Interior wise, I wish it had the work grade vinyl seats and rubber floors. The carpet/cloth has held up fine, but it takes more time to clean. The 5” screen radio is ok. Other than that, its basic. Having driven all of them I like the limited interior the best but mine sees farm duty plus toddler duty so the tradesman level works well.

Personally I don’t care for 3/4 tons of any make, Rams and Fords especially. They lose to much cargo capacity to stay at 10k gvwr. You also lose hp/torque with the ram. In terms of gas engines, the 5.7 is a dog in a heavy duty, I was thrilled to turn that rental back in. The 6.4 is decent but thirsty. I still wouldn’t bother with it and just get a half ton if I wanted gas.

The half tons are nice, interior is much nicer to be in and look at at any trim when compared to GM and Ford. The hemi and 8 speed transmissions are solid, and the trucks are generally dependable. I wouldn’t bother with an ecodiesel, a lot of them grenade.

Ram tends to be cheaper than GM and Ford. Now is a lovely time to buy trucks overall, but if I had to buy another the Ram dealer would probably be my only stop. Price is good, quality is excellent, and performance is acceptable. For comparison I have also owned 2012 Tundra, 99 Powerstroke, 06 chevy Dmax and a handful of early 90s chevys. None have been bad, other than rust with the chevys and transmissions with the ford. I used to travel and rent on a weekly basis, so I have driven just about everything new GM and Ford have.

Bean Bandit
Jan 25, 2003

Thank you! Your reply is exactly on point. Much apprecisted.🙂

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Bean Bandit posted:

Thank you!

My Ram is actually a 2015, and I'm not sure if it's what you envision. I drive a Ram Promaster City Wagon SLT

It was designed around the idea of a small van that could have a pallet loaded directly into the back (up to 1800 lbs) and be driven around in urban areas where a larger van might not be economical. The City Wagon model comes with rear seats and windows, unlike the Tradesman model. It gets pretty good mileage out of a 4-cylinder gas engine, ~26 in mixed driving and ~30 in highway driving around 65 - 70 mph. It's fairly comfortable to drive, the suspension is firm, and to me the noise level is OK.It's front wheel drive with traction control and does fine in the snow. I like the ~4' H x 4' W x 5.5' D cargo area (with seats folded up), lots of room for stuff while traveling. Usually, you have to squat somewhat to get into a sedan, or climb up to get into a pickup; I like that this model is designed so an average person can slide right into the seat. I got a decent interior package (heated seats, power windows, rear window defogger / wiper, and others), and I'm happy with it.

Bean Bandit
Jan 25, 2003

This is very helpful. Thank you!

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Coworker has a 2020 2500 diesel 4x4 that has been at the dealer for several months. Something in the engine grenaded so it got a new engine, then they discovered that the trans is also hosed and are replacing that. Only like 8000 miles on it. No mods or stupid driving. I'm assuming it's an outlier but jesus christ.

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

It's not mine, but my dad has a 2019 Ram Classic with the V6 (I get to drive it fairly regularly since I live less than a mile away). Keep in mind that my main points of comparison are a 1990 Suburban and a 1998 Saturn, but I find the road noise to be pretty minimal, even at 90mph, and the ride feels quite smooth to me. Fuel mileage is usually in the 17-19 mpg range for city/mixed driving, straight highway is anywhere from 21-26 depending on how flat the terrain is and whether or not you keep it under 75. If you're in the front, the interior has plenty of space, I wouldn't recommend the rear seating unless you're a child or short (I'm 6' and there's not enough room). This is a quad cab though, not a full crew cab, which I seem to remember had to do with which bed lengths were available at the time. He doesn't tow, so no idea how it does there, but on the whole, it's a comfortable truck and I like it. So far it's survived a year of my dad's complete neglect without a hiccup, so that bodes well for its ability to not die.

Bean Bandit
Jan 25, 2003

Thank you. All of these are very helpful.🙂

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

This guy REALLY likes Dodge Rams

https://twitter.com/GetRammed69

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

good account imo (point 1)

https://twitter.com/GetRammed69/status/1321631751941312515?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slick
Jun 6, 2003
2016 Ram 4x4 6.4 Gas 8ft bed. Tradesman mega cab ~4 door bought new

Bad: transfer case went out in the first 9k. Warranty replaced otherwise would have been $900. Dealer gave me a rental 1500 for a month which was nice.
Firestone tires suck. My trucks TPMS is set for stupid weight loads of 80psi. But I got 15k before they were due for a change. Tires are not cheap.
Seatbelt buzzer will nag you to death. No low speeds are safe I guess, Backing up out of the driveway? BE BUCKLED, sitting in the seat at a drive through BUZZZ, unbuckling to lean out for the bank, mail, anything, Buzz! -I get it.
I bought my truck when "I need one now" I could have got an optioned truck. but the difference was 80k vs ~mid 30k That was too much for me to wrap my head around. Ok? So I could buy 2x of these trucks, or this one truck? uhm hello pricing?

Lastly, a 2x design failure. The e-brake lever is too camouflaged with the dash, It's a big lever, but it's hidden were I would expect the hood release. Oh and if you have it set, how are you notified? 2-3 flashes and then that's it! No buzzer! I would preferr with 2 digital dashes that give warnings, integrate the electronics like in the digital display cluster or radio display "brake on!" Currently it is only Olfactory mmmh brake pads.

Good: It has a nice female voice for audio calling/txting (works 70% of the time so not bad)
Accessory buttons and sub -prewire harness is very nice and clean for extras, ( I run a snow plow)
Rear floor has some hiddden storage which is cool
I like the steering wheel it is larger in diameter than early 2000 f350's as a comparison.
Tows ok, no problems. excavators, skid steers, Gravel, a full cord of wet firewood.

Since my truck is gas, tradesman, with 4.10 The mileage does suck, but I knew that would be a trade off. Hit a high of 15mpg in 2wd highway during the summer.

Would I buy another one? maybe