Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

You need more than one key? Wow you must all have huge keyboards. I'm hoping to move to just using gestures soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Duck and Cover posted:

You need more than one key? Wow you must all have huge keyboards. I'm hoping to move to just using gestures soon.

not sure if apple or google engineer

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

If anyone really wants a B Stock, Austin R2, in Dark Grey, drop me a PM and we can work something out.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I've been working on a 6 key (2 by 3) DIY mechanical keyboard kit. If you'd like a free kit and are willing to give me some feedback - please shoot me a DM.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
My Corsair STRAFE RGB with cherry MX silent switches has finally kicked the bucket a year after I spilt liquid on it.

Looking at the last couple pages heavy with enthusiast talk I'm weary about asking such a newbie question, but what's a decent keyboard to replace it with that isn't going to feel a million miles different, (or at least not worse).

I've moved past my taste for RGB and the keys being "Silent" is less of an issue nowadays. Would be ideal if it didn't cost an arm and a leg too.

Any go-to suggestions?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Rookoo posted:

My Corsair STRAFE RGB with cherry MX silent switches has finally kicked the bucket a year after I spilt liquid on it.

Looking at the last couple pages heavy with enthusiast talk I'm weary about asking such a newbie question, but what's a decent keyboard to replace it with that isn't going to feel a million miles different, (or at least not worse).

I've moved past my taste for RGB and the keys being "Silent" is less of an issue nowadays. Would be ideal if it didn't cost an arm and a leg too.

Any go-to suggestions?

I really like my GMMK: https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/gmmk-full-brown-switch

You can get it in full, tenkeyless, or compact 65%, and let you choose from a whole bunch of switches. If you liked your silent Cherry reds, the Gateron Red switches they offer would feel very similar, and likely a little better. Another good choice would be the Kailh Silvers, as they're incredibly light and fast linear switches. It's also hot swappable, so if you decide to get different switches later you can just drop em in. All-in it's like $130 for something that's a lot more customizable than Corsair's offerings.

Also, if you can, I'd see if you can borrow or buy a switch tester. I thought I knew what I liked (Cherry Blue / clicky) until I tried one and realized that I really liked entirely different switches (Zealios / tactile) and that I really didn't like Cherry Reds / linear.

Gearman fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 26, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Gearman posted:

If anyone really wants a B Stock, Austin R2, in Dark Grey, drop me a PM and we can work something out.

I'm good. I got the B stock E-white that I wanted + extra pcb + extra POM plate.
A Cabernet Austin r2 just sold on MechMarket today for $900. Dude was a nice guy though and included mauve switches AND r3 Burgundy keycaps.
If nobody here wants it, I'm sure you'll have no trouble unloading it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/jhxzb3/uscah_austin_r2_gmk_burgundy_w_paypal/

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Gearman posted:

I really like my GMMK: https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/gmmk-full-brown-switch

You can get it in full, tenkeyless, or compact 65%, and let you choose from a whole bunch of switches. If you liked your silent Cherry reds, the Gateron Red switches they offer would feel very similar, and likely a little better. Another good choice would be the Kailh Silvers, as they're incredibly light and fast linear switches. It's also hot swappable, so if you decide to get different switches later you can just drop em in. All-in it's like $130 for something that's a lot more customizable than Corsair's offerings.

Also, if you can, I'd see if you can borrow or buy a switch tester. I thought I knew what I liked (Cherry Blue / clicky) until I tried one and realized that I really liked entirely different switches (Zealios / tactile) and that I really didn't like Cherry Reds / linear.

Cheers, when it comes to the keys themselves would these do the job fine?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HK-Gaming-...RV6P0ZCHYGMSPWB

I'm assuming the switches are the important part.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Rookoo posted:

Cheers, when it comes to the keys themselves would these do the job fine?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HK-Gaming-...RV6P0ZCHYGMSPWB

I'm assuming the switches are the important part.

Yeah those would work. They also offer very similar caps, called "Black Aura", when you go to customize the board. Pretty sure the $130 I quoted included the keycaps as well. But if you wanted that set from Amazon instead, they would work just fine, too.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
BTW I don't think I saw it linked here, but this Type-9 macropad looks just gorgeous, though at $99+ it's way more than I can justify spending on what would be my... fifth macropad.
https://treasuretypes.com/

Arcturas posted:

What do you mean by SA keycaps? Is that just the shape of the things? (God this hobby has so much terminology.)
As others mentioned that's the profile/shape. I love those chunky, retro keycaps even though they cost like 3 times as much as OEM keycaps. Specifically I got the Miami set from KBDFans.

Arcturas posted:

Also I'll have to look into Gateron clears, too. Maybe I'll break down and just get the Drop switch tester to see what feels good. Along with a wrist rest because this keyboard is taller than my prior logitech...

So much stuff to buy!
Gateron Clears do take some getting used to because they're light enough that it's easy for the weight of your fingers to actuate them, so at first I would end up holding down a key without realizing it until I saw a bunch of Js on the screen. Once I got used to them I really liked the feel though.

Of course now I'm using a weird split keyboard with gChoc switches (a variant Kailh Choc with 20gf springs) so I can switch back and forth between QWERTY and steno, and if I ever wind up with someone else needing to use my computer (say if I have guests in like 2022) I'm going to just have to plug in a more normal keyboard for them.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Ewen Cluney posted:

BTW I don't think I saw it linked here, but this Type-9 macropad looks just gorgeous, though at $99+ it's way more than I can justify spending on what would be my... fifth macropad.

As others mentioned that's the profile/shape. I love those chunky, retro keycaps even though they cost like 3 times as much as OEM keycaps. Specifically I got the Miami set from KBDFans.

Gateron Clears do take some getting used to because they're light enough that it's easy for the weight of your fingers to actuate them, so at first I would end up holding down a key without realizing it until I saw a bunch of Js on the screen. Once I got used to them I really liked the feel though.

Of course now I'm using a weird split keyboard with gChoc switches (a variant Kailh Choc with 20gf springs) so I can switch back and forth between QWERTY and steno, and if I ever wind up with someone else needing to use my computer (say if I have guests in like 2022) I'm going to just have to plug in a more normal keyboard for them.

I bought the Type-9 to match my Adelie. Pretty hyped about it actually, but still wish it had VIA support. Maybe I'll be bored enough to port it one day...

Anytime someone uses my computer I just hit my layer 3 lock which is all "B" for the alphas before turning over the keyboard.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Ewen Cluney posted:

Ah, so you're saying if we have FEWER than 5, we might be able to justify it???

I kind of want to make a macropad just for Excel bullshit, since I've put some of those ALT+# shortcuts on another layer of my numpad.

Weird question, but does anyone else use Rainmeter, and is there a way to get it to read what (QMK) layer you're on? I kinda need some sort of indicator...

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 26, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Is there any way in qmk to assign layer up / down keys (i.e. move up/down one layer when pressed). As best I can tell, no, but it was like 2 a.m. when I was mucking about with it.

I suppose you could just assign toggle keys for the next/previous layer on each layer.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Some Goon posted:

Is there any way in qmk to assign layer up / down keys (i.e. move up/down one layer when pressed). As best I can tell, no, but it was like 2 a.m. when I was mucking about with it.

I suppose you could just assign toggle keys for the next/previous layer on each layer.

I just increment layers on each layer and then have a dedicated layer 0 key. I asked for this feature previously but my ticket was never replied to...

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Some Goon posted:

Should be doable if you have a little programming background. You can set up a custom keycode for going up a layer, then use a for loop to iterate through and set layer_on to that. Then do the same for one that decrements.

I'm sure someone out there has done this somewhere, but could be a nice little project to learn QMK with.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Apologies if this isn't the right thread but I can't think of anywhere better to ask. I'm trying to make some more room on my desk so that I'll actually have room to write by moving my MIDI keyboard. What I'm trying to find is a keyboard tray that can swivel out so that I can put it off to the side of my desk and "turn" it towards me, like in the drawing below. I want the MIDI keyboard to sit under my desk roughly in about the same spot that it sits on top in the top part, and be able to move it to where it is in the bottom graphic. I've searched for "swiveling keyboard trays" online but this yields results that look like they function very differently from each other so I'm not sure which would suit my need without seeing it in person. Does anyone happen to know of something like what I'm talking about?

(sorry for the lovely MS paint graphic)

i vomit kittens fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 26, 2020

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I am looking for a cheap mechanical keyboard in the 50-60 range. I found some on Amazon for about that, but I've never heard of Red Dragon or Element or w/e keyboards, and I'm wondering what I'm losing out vs. the $100+ Duckys etc.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

anothergod posted:

I am looking for a cheap mechanical keyboard in the 50-60 range. I found some on Amazon for about that, but I've never heard of Red Dragon or Element or w/e keyboards, and I'm wondering what I'm losing out vs. the $100+ Duckys etc.

I've bought a havit board and a mechanical eagle board before. They're fine for what they are. Fit and finish can be a little lacking but they work and the switches are fine. Generally shop by the switch. I'd avoid anything that wants software to program RGB since it could be garbage and unsupported after a little while (not that the big brands are much better besides length of support maybe).

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

i vomit kittens posted:

Apologies if this isn't the right thread but I can't think of anywhere better to ask. I'm trying to make some more room on my desk so that I'll actually have room to write by moving my MIDI keyboard. What I'm trying to find is a keyboard tray that can swivel out so that I can put it off to the side of my desk and "turn" it towards me, like in the drawing below. I want the MIDI keyboard to sit under my desk roughly in about the same spot that it sits on top in the top part, and be able to move it to where it is in the bottom graphic. I've searched for "swiveling keyboard trays" online but this yields results that look like they function very differently from each other so I'm not sure which would suit my need without seeing it in person. Does anyone happen to know of something like what I'm talking about?

There's a thread for physical desktops that seems to be the discussion place for things like desk buying and other related things. You might have better luck there.

mewse
May 2, 2006

anothergod posted:

The pricier boards are excellent build quality and genuine cherry switches (ducky in particular).

Redragon has great build quality FOR THE PRICE and clone switches. The clone blues suck IMO. Clone reds and browns are ok. K582 SURARA is really good. Velocifire is another good brand.

Some of the amazon stuff can be really bad though, lightweight boards, bad switches, bad RGB. Element and e-eagle or whatever, I dunno.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

i vomit kittens posted:

Searching for "keyboard arm tray" on Amazon looks like it gets some results similar to what you're looking for. There are a few that look like they could work perfectly if you mounted them upside-down.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

anothergod posted:

What I've learned over my short foray in to the mechanical keyboard realm is that:

- Getting a mechanical keyboard just because it's mechanical doesn't necessarily make it feel better to you than non-mechanical keyboards.

- The type of mechanical switch on the board really matters, and is very much personal preference. I can't stand linears, still kind of like clickies, and LOVE tactiles.

If you're looking for a mechanical keyboard and don't know what linear, tactile, or clicky switches are or feel like or what you're preference is, I'd recommend buying a cheap keytester. Even something cheap like this that has one of each kind of type of switch is very helpful: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G3BJOHO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5pZLFbHVK4YX0 or you could just buy one of the $50 ones, try it out for a day and send it back.

What the more expensive ones get you vs the cheaper ones is largely:
- Type of switch you can get with it. More expensive boards usually come with better or nicer switches.
- No switches. Which sounds dumb, but it means you can put whatever switch you want in it. Some boards let you "hot swap" switches that makes changing switches on the board very easy.
- Better materials, better weight, etc. There's a big difference in feel and sound between cheap plastic and more expensive materials, foam padding, aluminium bodies, and weights underneath.
- A layout that is more universal, letting you swap keycaps easier. I actually liked the caps on my Corsair even though they're cheap. Unfortunately, they use a nonstandard keycap size for their bottom row, which made them very difficult to use in other boards.

There are usually some other nice features, but I'd say those are the most worthwhile when considering a cheap mechanical vs. a more expensive one.

That said, if you're going to pay $100+, I'd recommend staying away from the "big brands" like Corsair and Logitech, as you generally end up paying a lot for style, and not getting any of the real advantages.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Is anyone interested in buying my GMMK White Ice TKL? I used it for ~2 weeks before realizing it wasn't for me. Happy to let it go for less than retail, whatever that is these days.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

interrodactyl posted:

Is anyone interested in buying my GMMK White Ice TKL? I used it for ~2 weeks before realizing it wasn't for me. Happy to let it go for less than retail, whatever that is these days.
...Yes, very, assuming it's hot-swappable (which I think all the TKL ones are?), depending on your asking price! I'd also happily trade for my Keychron K4 with gat browns + white backlight (used like, 5 times max, bought earlier this year for my husband, who ended up hating the 96% layout) if that's of interest, but I'm guessing it's not due to the similarities. Looks like you don't have PMs, so email me at stroop dot sa at gmail if ya want?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

anothergod posted:

Check out the qisan magicforce 68 (assuming you're cool with not having a numpad). There's a version with Gateron switches (instead of cherry mx) and no LEDs that you can find for like $30-40. If you decide to spring for lights and cherry switches it's like 65 or 70 bucks.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Stroop There It Is posted:

...Yes, very, assuming it's hot-swappable (which I think all the TKL ones are?), depending on your asking price! I'd also happily trade for my Keychron K4 with gat browns + white backlight (used like, 5 times max, bought earlier this year for my husband, who ended up hating the 96% layout) if that's of interest, but I'm guessing it's not due to the similarities. Looks like you don't have PMs, so email me at stroop dot sa at gmail if ya want?

I've got too many boards to trade for one, but I'll email you!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Well, I think I found my upper limit on mechanical keyboards. I tallied up the following:

KBD75v2 case and PCB (yes I know I said earlier I was focusing on 1800 or 96 key layouts but those get stupid expensive stupid fast and some of the premades are not what I'm looking for)
Some bootleg Aliexpress special PBT keycaps
100pc 2x3x4mm white LEDs
Durock Stabilizers and lube
Gazzew U4 Boba 62g switches (Thanks Stroop There It Is for hipping me to those)

Came out to just under 360 bucks.

Shoulda just bought a drat custom Varmilo VA87M from them direct with Zealios. Would have been cheaper. :shepspends:

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I'm looking at carrying cases for a keyboard im just going to sell anyway. The hell is wrong with me.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Gearman posted:

I'm looking at carrying cases for a keyboard im just going to sell anyway. The hell is wrong with me.

ONE OF US
ONE OF US
ONE OF US!!!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Gearman posted:

Buy a hard case, and ship it in that. Then you don't have to worry about it being damaged in transit :D

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Gazzew U4 Boba 62g switches (Thanks Stroop There It Is for hipping me to those)
Yay, hope you like them! I may grab some more and put them in interrodactyl's GMMK... wondering if it's worth getting the ones with clear upper housing for the RGB (clearly I'm a fake gamer, since this will be my first keyboard with it). Guess I'll test it out with my extras.

I just spent a bunch of time setting up a virtual machine and build environment so I could make ONE tiny change in QMK (so I can press 3 times instead of 5 for tap-toggle, lol) and to my surprise as a programming and Linux novice, it works!! Totally worth it!!!!

e: vvv Awesome, good to know! Thank you!

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 27, 2020

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Stroop There It Is posted:

Yay, hope you like them! I may grab some more and put them in interrodactyl's GMMK... wondering if it's worth getting the ones with clear upper housing for the RGB (clearly I'm a fake gamer, since this will be my first keyboard with it). Guess I'll test it out with my extras.

I just spent a bunch of time setting up a virtual machine and build environment so I could make ONE tiny change in QMK (so I can press 3 times instead of 5 for tap-toggle, lol) and to my surprise as a programming and Linux novice, it works!! Totally worth it!!!!

The Boba's I bought were of the RGB variety since I plan to install LEDs in the KBD75v2 I ordered despite also ordering opaque keycaps. I figure if I'm going to solder switches, might as well get the lights in there too when I come across another keycap set I might like. Forward thinking.

Edit: The Reddit posts I was reading regarding them mentioned the upper housing shouldn't change the sound profile and they're the same tolerances as the original tops in regards to stem wobble.

The vendor I bought them from helpfully put up a comparison shot in their store page: https://www.rgbkb.net/products/rgb-silent-tactile-switch

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 27, 2020

mewse
May 2, 2006

So I have gazzew's previous silent tactile switch, DIY silent sky, and because the switches are outemu with the thin pins I was able to plug them into the redragon K582 SURARA without soldering and it's my daily driver at home.

Thought I'd mention that for anyone getting these U4 switches: K582 is a wonderful board for outemus. Full size and full RGB.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
I actually got a batch of Boba U4s and I like the feel overall...but does anyone else find them to be kind of scratchy? I plan to lube them once the broken in and hopefully that helps, but is this normal?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

interrodactyl posted:

I actually got a batch of Boba U4s and I like the feel overall...but does anyone else find them to be kind of scratchy? I plan to lube them once the broken in and hopefully that helps, but is this normal?
Hm, mine are only slightly scratchier than my Zealios... don't know if the amount of factory lube is different?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Wireless, hotswappable 96 key keyboard coming from Epomaker. 100 bucks early bird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSF_hY9Bpuk

https://gk96.epomaker.com/

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Wireless, hotswappable 96 key keyboard coming from Epomaker. 100 bucks early bird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSF_hY9Bpuk

https://gk96.epomaker.com/

What's the catch?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Stimperor posted:

What's the catch?

It's ugly as puke?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT