Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm looking for good and/or entertaining movies from 1986, that I haven't seen.

https://letterboxd.com/frankboothfan/films/year/1986/by/name/

These three from 1986 would fit well on that list:

Poltergeist II: The Other Side
Vamp
Witchboard

I haven't seen TerrorVision yet but I hear it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, but looks like I need to get more streaming accounts than Netflix and HBO. Can't find any of these anywhere :(

Ended up watching Holmes & Watson which was pretty funny, and had the lady from No country for old men. Surprisingly she's scottish and not from Texas somewhere!

Selklubber fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 24, 2020

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Much thanks for the movies folks, I'll get onto watching these fine films asap.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Need spooky films for the spooky season.
I am generally not a fan of the horror genre but I have enjoyed Get Out, Event Horizon, Funny Games (US) and the first Insidious

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I'm not a huge horror guy but I really liked The Ritual.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I am generally not a fan of the horror genre but I have enjoyed Get Out, Event Horizon, Funny Games (US) and the first Insidious
Do you have any other qualifiers? Does it need to be on a particular streaming service? Are international or black and white films okay?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

fenix down posted:

Do you have any other qualifiers? Does it need to be on a particular streaming service? Are international or black and white films okay?

No streaming service restrictions. I am kinda opposed to both foreign and black and white. I liked One Cut of the Dead a lot but that's about the bar of objective quality it needs to clear for me to read subtitles.
I'm not sure if I disliked the Lighthouse because it was B&W, but that's another reference point I suppose. I don't believe that movie makes sense.
I like something about Jordan Peele for sure. I wanted to like Us, but didn't. I think Candyman looks dope.
Other decent spooks IMO:
Pandorum, The Descent

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Since you like Funny Games, I'll say give some David Lynch a try if you haven't. Blue Velvet is a great one to start with. It's got the dark humor and surrealism , but it is also one of his most grounded and relatable in some ways. Lynch has some of the best tension and scariness of any movie maker.

I'll throw in a few movies that are Italian, but starring some American actors, and all dubbed in English. Suspiria (the original), Dario Argento's Opera (not Phantom), and Tenebre. These are so stylish and hold up really well, from the late 70s to the 80s.

And a grabbag of classic crowd pleasers: A Nightmare on Elm Street (original), Dawn of the Dead (original), Hellraiser, Friday the 13th (I'd say try 4 or 6 if just watching one), the original Candyman if you haven't seen it (original is my word of the day apparently). And one more, Jacob's Ladder.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I really like The Tenant. It is a Roman Polanski movie if that matters to you.

And Jacobs Ladder is great but it's one of the few horror movies to actually scare me so I'm not sure if it qualifies as 'spooky' per se.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Pilchenstein posted:

That was okay. Next up is Jacob's Ladder since it has come up twice.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I bought a new TV for the first time in ~11 years and I splurged to get a CX. What's the best 4K/HDR movie to baptize the new and holy OLED? I have access to Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBO with a pretty nice internet connection, so I should be able to have a quality streaming picture. I was thinking about picking a random episode of The Expanse because I know the space scenes in that are supposed to look really great in 4K, but a full movie is probably the proper way to do it.

I still remember that my very first HD/BluRay I ever saw was How To Train Your Dragon on my neighbor's TV. I'd like my 4K first time to be memorable too. :biglips:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Blade Runner 2049

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Netflix has Into The Spider-Verse in 4k. You do need to upgrade your plan first, though.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

TVsVeryOwn posted:

No streaming service restrictions. I am kinda opposed to both foreign and black and white. I liked One Cut of the Dead a lot but that's about the bar of objective quality it needs to clear for me to read subtitles.
I'm not sure if I disliked the Lighthouse because it was B&W, but that's another reference point I suppose. I don't believe that movie makes sense.
I like something about Jordan Peele for sure. I wanted to like Us, but didn't. I think Candyman looks dope.
Other decent spooks IMO:
Pandorum, The Descent
No shame in that. :) It seems like you've enjoyed stuff that is slightly quicker paced with a gradual build in intensity toward a big finish.

So my recs would be: Relic, Spree, Color Out of Space, Ready or Not, Overlord, A Quiet Place, Happy Death Day, The Void, and Krampus

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

TVsVeryOwn posted:

That was okay. Next up is Jacob's Ladder since it has come up twice.

There's a visual effect in the movie a couple of times that has been used since and was overdone for a while but Jacob's Ladder did it first afaik and it was really unsettling when I first saw it.

E: and apparently the movie was remade, poorly. Make sure you watch the original

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 26, 2020

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Roumba posted:

I bought a new TV for the first time in ~11 years and I splurged to get a CX. What's the best 4K/HDR movie to baptize the new and holy OLED? I have access to Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBO with a pretty nice internet connection, so I should be able to have a quality streaming picture. I was thinking about picking a random episode of The Expanse because I know the space scenes in that are supposed to look really great in 4K, but a full movie is probably the proper way to do it.
From what I am seeing, Netflix and Prime 4k selection is almost nonexistent for movies, and HBO Max doesn't support it?

However, I've rented a few movies on Youtube with 4k, so I'll echo the Blade Runner 2049 rec if you have access to that.

Other options include Dunkirk, John Wick, and Fury Road.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Pilchenstein posted:

The Shrine is good.

If you are into the 80's throwback thing, House of the Devil really does that well. It's not just a movie that takes place in the 80's, but made to look like it was made in the early 80's. For example, using camera zooms instead of tracking shots that are typical of movies from the late 70's to early 80's.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I need movies about alien abduction, the creepier and low key it is the better.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

fat bossy gerbil posted:

The Fourth Kind

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What are some fun movies that involve someone wrestling with a big decision of going one way or another throughout the story? Non-romantically. Where a character is just totally torn between two separate directions.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm looking for good and/or entertaining movies from 1986, that I haven't seen.

https://letterboxd.com/frankboothfan/films/year/1986/by/name/

I've seen 62, not to say you've gotta peruse that page there, but if not I've seen I think the usual big ones and cult classics etc. But I'm sure I'm missing cool stuff. I'm looking to watch at least 24 more, 86 in 86 has a nice ring to it. A couple of them are anime video series but hey close enough. I've at least gotta hit 70.

There are some other years I'm looking to bone up on, but figure I'll start there. Plus I just like 86, it's got Blue Velvet, Transformers: The Movie, what couldn't it do. Also, if you were gonna recommend a cool movie and it turns out it wasn't from 86, feel free to post that anyway. I know this is broad, but I got quotas to fill here.

My faves that you haven't seen:

Partisans of Vilna
Sherman's March
Routine Pleasures
Mauvais Sang
Home of the Brave (only if you like Laurie Anderson)
Peggy Sue Got Married
Matador

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

fat bossy gerbil posted:

The Vast of Night(2019) might be something you're interested in. Very enjoyable and well made.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

What are some fun movies that involve someone wrestling with a big decision of going one way or another throughout the story? Non-romantically. Where a character is just totally torn between two separate directions.

Saturday Night Fever

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Roumba posted:

I still remember that my very first HD/BluRay I ever saw was How To Train Your Dragon on my neighbor's TV. I'd like my 4K first time to be memorable too. :biglips:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

FitFortDanga posted:

My faves that you haven't seen:

Partisans of Vilna
Sherman's March
Routine Pleasures
Mauvais Sang
Home of the Brave (only if you like Laurie Anderson)
Peggy Sue Got Married
Matador

Much thanks! Peggy Sue and Mauvais Sang I've been meaning to see, and the rest looks cool too, Matador sounds pretty neato.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I hate that film.

Try Gravity. I bet it would look amazing.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
What was the best crappy scary movie you've seen recently? I need some to watch

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Crappy how? Like low budget crappy or badly made crappy?

Maybe Headless?

https://scottschirmer.com/products/headless-digital-download?_pos=2&_sid=663cd0d31&_ss=r

Or streamable via Screambox.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

RC Cola posted:

Without Warning (1980)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24mvyg

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Bad Ben.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

RC Cola posted:

For pure zero budget laughs, Evil Cult (2003) is a big fav. Neil Stryker is quite the character, the sequel is funny too. Really inventive funny flicks.

Other than that, for non-comedy stuff, you might enjoy Mother of Tears (2007). I love Dario, my pick for fav horror director, but this one definitely had that cheesy unintentional laughs etc feel. Great Udo Kier too.

Granted, I like these movies and have them on home video, so maybe not quite crappy enough. How low can we go, let me see... Zombie Strippers. Uwe Boll of course, House of the Dead and Bloodrayne (all 3) fit the bill, very funny.

With or without MST3k and rifftrax, Zombie Nightmare and Rock n Roll Nightmare are B-movie zen.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 31, 2020

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I’m in need of a dumb 70’s/80’s type of comedy the likes of which Homer Simpson watches: https://youtu.be/xwEweXpHphg

I haven’t seen Caddyshack or Animal House in ages and am unsure how they hold up. I know Revenge of the Nerds didn’t, for me. But I could use some dumb laughs.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
The Police Academy movies have that kind of feeling to them. There's so many and I can't remember which ones are good and which ones are poo poo. I guess start with #1?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
It isn't a sex comedy per se, but Real Genius has some crossover and holds up better than most of the comedies from that period.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Porky's ofc

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I’m in need of a dumb 70’s/80’s type of comedy the likes of which Homer Simpson watches: https://youtu.be/xwEweXpHphg

I haven’t seen Caddyshack or Animal House in ages and am unsure how they hold up. I know Revenge of the Nerds didn’t, for me. But I could use some dumb laughs.

If you want a really dumb one: Up the Academy (1980)

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Just saw Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon again since the first time it was released in theaters. I think I liked it even more the second time. It feels much more accessible than a lot of asian movies I've seen, which often seems like they rely on some kind of culture context I don't understand. In CT,HD so much of the story is told visually, and it helps that the cinematography is so good.

Any other Asian films, preferably historical but with or without the fantasy elements, that are similarly as easy-watching for western audiences?

Einarr Saltyman
Oct 4, 2020

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Just saw Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon again since the first time it was released in theaters. I think I liked it even more the second time. It feels much more accessible than a lot of asian movies I've seen, which often seems like they rely on some kind of culture context I don't understand. In CT,HD so much of the story is told visually, and it helps that the cinematography is so good.

Any other Asian films, preferably historical but with or without the fantasy elements, that are similarly as easy-watching for western audiences?

Most of similar genre to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and with some historical aspect are either war themed or martial arts themed.
Which one do you prefer ?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Einarr Saltyman posted:

Most of similar genre to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and with some historical aspect are either war themed or martial arts themed.
Which one do you prefer ?

Both?

But let's go with war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

The Wuxia films of King Hu strike a good balance of being steeped in Chinese history and myth(almost all his big movies are based off folk tales) while being accessible to wider audience(they are pop-art after all). Plus you have the benefit of already watching CTHD which cribbed every moment from King Hu films.

Dragon Inn(1967) is the best place to start and can be even seen as the rosetta stone of every cinematic wuxia made since. Runaway princess, an Inn filled with shady characters that nobody is sure of their allegiances, group of ragtag heroes from different backgrounds, shadowy groups of evil eunuchs, swordswomen dressed as men, lots of trampoline jumping.

A Touch of Zen is the big one, the first Chinese film ever to win the Cannes film festival, very long but quite honestly one the greatest films ever made, and while it's a crass comparison, A Touch of Zen is to Wuxia films what Seven Samurai is to Samurai films.

The Fate of Lee Khan has a similar setup to Dragon Inn, but the setting is a bit different, it's during the Mongol dynasty instead of Ming and the stakes feel far more cutthroat. Raining in the Mountain and Legend of the Mountain are also incredible, and the second one is a small miracle.