Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I never knew about that Cryptkeeper game show, what the hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The saddest thing about that show is that all the spookums were added in post so those poor contestants are just playing in an empty void.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I was so amped for that show when I saw previews for it as a kid. Then I watched it and was... not impressed. But I still watched every single episode. Just seeing the Cryptkeeper on Saturday morning TV was a thrill for me.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Here's a digital code for The Lighthouse for anyone who wants it:

cdcvj4cy51x3p4x3

e: claimed

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 25, 2020

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Could I get an opinion on theatrical vs. unrated for the Paranormal Activity series? It looks like it changes the endings in a major way, but I don't want to look into it too deeply because this seems like one of those flicks that I'd want to go in as blind as possible.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the original cut had Devourement playing on the TV screen, go with that one otherwise you get some other lovely band instead of Devourement.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A Bag of Milk posted:

Could I get an opinion on theatrical vs. unrated for the Paranormal Activity series? It looks like it changes the endings in a major way, but I don't want to look into it too deeply because this seems like one of those flicks that I'd want to go in as blind as possible.

My memory is the endings are very different but not in a way that is significant enough to change the story. So I think you can just watch whichever you like and then go check out the alternate ending.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
iirc one ending has to be out of continuity because she kills herself but just like, watch the other on YouTube afterwards or whatever

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, you're right. I think I confused the multiple alternate endings with the theatrical one. Theatrical one is the only one that works with continuity. Although I doubt they really know that at the time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah I'm pretty sure the now "alternate" ending was the original planned one, but I might be off on that

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i remember when the trailer for paranormal activity 3 came out they had a cool creepy bloody mary scene that wasnt even in the final cut so i spent the whole movie waiting for this cool scene that never happened :(

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

feedmyleg posted:

Wait, Tales from the Crypt had a 90s kids Nickelodeon style bluescreen gameshow spinoff stuffed with early CGI? :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRMPXweQwWc

Goddammit, now I need a shirt that just has a giant Cryptkeeper head with my name written across his forehead.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the lovely thing about the first PA's endings is, like

the "canon" ending is very very easily the dumbest and worst one, it's just a jump scare

the alternate ones are a much better payoff than "boo, jump scare, credits"

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Spatulater bro! posted:

Here's a digital code for The Lighthouse for anyone who wants it:

cdcvj4cy51x3p4x3

Grabbed this one. Thank you.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Lighthouse is the best. I need to rewatch it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

the alternate ones

I had to look this up, I forgot there actually two alternate endings and both have katie die lol

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Just chiming in to remind everyone that Jason X is loving awesome

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
So I just finished Krampus for the first time.

Why has nobody given Michael Dougherty a big check and sent him off to make Gremlins 3?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Because Gremlins 3 would be a disappointment no matter who was behind it and should thus never be attempted because the bar is too high. But yeah, Krampus is good and definitely in the same tone.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

i spent the whole movie waiting for this cool scene that never happened :(

Yeah that sounds like the PA movies alright

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ehud posted:

Wow, One Cut of the Dead might be my favorite horror comedy ever.

I was dying for the entire final 30 minutes.

I think I said 'what the gently caress?' out loud more in the last part of this film than probably all times in my life ever previous to seeing it.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

What's like actually scary on the Staff wall? It looks like a bunch of old shlock for the most part.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Who watches horror movies to be scared?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

King Vidiot posted:

Who watches horror movies to be scared?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

posers thats who

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Yeah, if I want to be scared I'll watch the dang news!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

if i wanna be scared ill read my own posts

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Because Gremlins 3 would be a disappointment no matter who was behind it and should thus never be attempted because the bar is too high. But yeah, Krampus is good and definitely in the same tone.
I just want to see some Gremlins gently caress with people in hilarious ways and he could do that at a pretty high level,

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kvlt! posted:

if i wanna be scared ill read my own posts

It never ceases to amaze me how you post like an edgy 14 year old in here but then come out with literate, thoughtful and correctly capitalised reviews in the Challenge thread.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the inner workings of my mind are an empanada

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I saw the wailing again, and I was reminded of how sloppy the movie gets when you examine it closely enough.

It has tons of atmosphere, and some really memorable moments, but it just leaves too many issues unresolved that can be attributed to nothing more than lazy writing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Watched The Mortuary Collection tonight, it was pretty good! I mean, it wasn't great but it felt like a mid-tier horror anthology movie from like the early 90's, especially since Clancy Brown was in it. I could see it being something I'd watch on cable at 9 o clock at night while I eat my trick or treat candy.

I really couldn't believe they just went there with showing the frat guy's dick explode. That's right up there with some of the best... organ explosions I've ever seen in a horror movie.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the sudden shot of it made me lol hard. but Brent Weinbach's short film "Man Gives Birth" has haha hardened me to the idea

https://vimeo.com/219667859

big time NSFW warning on that one

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 26, 2020

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Bioshuffle posted:

I saw the wailing again, and I was reminded of how sloppy the movie gets when you examine it closely enough.

It has tons of atmosphere, and some really memorable moments, but it just leaves too many issues unresolved that can be attributed to nothing more than lazy writing.

Such as? The entire point of The Wailing is that generations of imperialism and competing religious traditions have made it almost impossible to arrive at any kind of spiritual truth; the ambiguity is necessary to its theme.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Watched Bug (1975) - pretty great soundtrack and lots of scenes with cars exploding and/or on fire.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timeless Appeal posted:

So I just finished Krampus for the first time.

Why has nobody given Michael Dougherty a big check and sent him off to make Gremlins 3?

What about Hellraiser

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I watched the Mortuary Collection as well. It looked great and I liked the period detail in the costuming and props, but everything else felt weak. Like Goosebumps for adults, which I guess is the point. I wasn't in the mood for it, unfortunately.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Yeah I was impressed with The Mortuary Collection more than I liked it. The acting is “fine,” and all the stories sort of go exactly the way you think they will (except maybe the last), honestly the best part of the film is the wraparound segment with Brown and the girl, they’re probably the best actors in the whole thing. That being said, the film really looks incredible. I think I correctly assume that it had a fairly small budget, but you truly can’t tell. The retro visual aesthetic and effects work are incredible. The opening sequence puts you perfectly in the mood for the movie. I would love to see this director with a better script and see what happens. So, not my favorite movie, but it’s definitely but the director on my radar.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think it was a good package and wrap around framework that kind of suffered from having one writer. So instead of 3-4 people putting their best forward we got 1 guy trying to come up with 5 stories and stretching himself too thin.

It looks like the Babysitter story was a short story he did years earlier that he just put in the anthology. That probably speaks to why its the strongest piece. The other ones kind of feel like fill ins or half thought out ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I wish EC would get their poo poo together so people could just adapt more horror comics. Then you get a lot of voices in the mix, but a single screenwriter to give tonal consistency.

If I had a scrappy little production crew I'd just find some public domain horror comics into a Creepshow-alike.