Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
it's just a bad movie. it's not going to change your life for the worse except for a couple hours of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Was it in theatres long enough that someone might have contracted covid during a viewing?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

it's just a bad movie. it's not going to change your life for the worse except for a couple hours of it.

There's an entire subset of the population of currently existing humans who sat down to watch The Last Jedi, and in the span of 90s minutes it fundamentally altered who they were as human beings and they will never be the same person they were before the words "EPISODE VIII THE LAST JEDI" scrolled across the screen.

Just kidding, they were always miserable assholes :v:

Really, the best thing that the Rise of Skywalker does by sucking so much is it lets you appreciate Duel of the Fates infinitely more because while it would also have been a suckass disaster, it's still better "movie" than Rise of Skywalker.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Was it in theatres long enough that someone might have contracted covid during a viewing?

Maybe in China. But the government has been cagey with their true numbers over there.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

There's an entire subset of the population of currently existing humans who sat down to watch The Last Jedi, and in the span of 90s minutes it fundamentally altered who they were as human beings and they will never be the same person they were before the words "EPISODE VIII THE LAST JEDI" scrolled across the screen.

I mean, this is actually true, there are people out there for whom this movie is utterly transformative, in a good way. And good for them!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

McCloud posted:

I mean, this is actually true, there are people out there for whom this movie is utterly transformative, in a good way. And good for them!

And I do hope that's true. In fact, I hope that's the majority case, or at least has the second largest share of the pie behind "no change what so ever" that someone could watch a Star Wars film--any Star Wars film--and come away from it a better person for it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
can you imagine a whole generation watching rise of skywalker and saying, "nah gently caress that, if that garbage passes muster then even i can make a movie"?

nice dreams, i suppose.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

can you imagine a whole generation watching rise of skywalker and saying, "nah gently caress that, if that garbage passes muster then even i can make a movie"?

nice dreams, i suppose.

It would be appropriately cyclical if JJ Abrams wound up inspiring at least one young future filmmaker out there to try and do better out of spite after he himself was inspired to become a filmmaker by George Lucas because he wanted to do exactly what George Lucas did.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
rhymes, etc.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

And I do hope that's true. In fact, I hope that's the majority case, or at least has the second largest share of the pie behind "no change what so ever" that someone could watch a Star Wars film--any Star Wars film--and come away from it a better person for it.

Well y'all know how I feel about the Disney trilogy, buy I can guarantee you most blockbuster films have inspired folks to be better or resonated with them in a profound way. It's a neat quality of the medium imo, and I genuinely think that's great

If Whedon's Avengers can do it then pretty much anything can, really!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Theoretically, a cereal box could provoke some kind of new insightful worldview if somebody is in the right mindset. There's a lot of media flying around in this world, but not all of it costs billions of dollars to create and could expect to rake in billions of dollars based on the sheer inertia of its franchise, so there's certain expectations that creates.

Some movies inspire people to be worse. Apparently the Joker movie had that kind of effect. I don't know of any others; I guess there was an Atlas Shrugged movie that wanted to inspire people to be worse, but failed as a movie so it didn't have its intended effect.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Joker movie was expected to inspire shootings and some Fight Club whatever mostly by people who spend way too much time on twitter and are terrified of the idea of considering poor people to be human

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

are terrified of the idea of considering poor people to be human

what are you blathering about

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
luckily nerds are too lazy to shoot anyone and just spent their time making a ten hour response to jenny nicholson.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

luckily nerds are too lazy to shoot anyone and just spent their time making a ten hour response to jenny nicholson.

Okay, who wants to tell Edgar?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Speaking of The Rise of Skywalker, IGN broke down how much it would cost you in order to procure all the supplementary, explanatory, and rectconning material subsequently put out by Disney to try and retroactively make the story make sense and they came out with $165.85 USD as a final figure.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

nine-gear crow posted:

Speaking of The Rise of Skywalker, IGN broke down how much it would cost you in order to procure all the supplementary, explanatory, and rectconning material subsequently put out by Disney to try and retroactively make the story make sense and they came out with $165.85 USD as a final figure.

:capitalism:

They really should've just let Dave Filoni write the whole trilogy.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

TremorX posted:

:capitalism:

They really should've just let Dave Filoni write the whole trilogy.

he already wrote a star wars movie and it wasn't very good

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

he already wrote a star wars movie and it wasn't very good

Which one was that

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

McCloud posted:

Which one was that

clone wars

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

He directed it, but didn't write it. Though the guys that did have a decent resume, so there's probably only so much you can get done with a 3-episode television arc smushed together into a movie about trying to save Baby Jabba.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Robot Style posted:

He directed it, but didn't write it

oh fair

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The 4 episode arc finishing off Clone Wars S7 was better than all three Sequel Trilogy movies

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
You ever think the grift was to put 3-5 crappy movies in theaters so as to motivate interest in Streaming Exclusive The Mandalorian And New Clone Wars Also

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

FunkyAl posted:

You ever think the grift was to put 3-5 crappy movies in theaters so as to motivate interest in Streaming Exclusive The Mandalorian And New Clone Wars Also

since the christmas season of 1978, give or take

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the Mandalorian started out as one of the 10 movies Disney announced as their grand new MCU-ish plan for Star Wars.

And then it turned out that there was no real overarching plan for what would be inside the movies they anounced, so Solo didn't do so well and people hated the "proper" trilogy so Disney decided to pivot to make it a series instead, and that worked out pretty well so they decided to do that for the Obi-Wan movie too.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Pretty much. Apparently it started out as the movie Josh Trank was fired from before becoming a James Mangold project for a little while, and finally ended up with Jon Favreau along with scraps from the cancelled 1313 game.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

FunkyAl posted:

It didn't work, I've only seen three of the movies and I still don't own a Disney+

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

josh04 posted:

It didn't work, I've only seen three of the movies and I still don't own a Disney+

Well neither did I, but what of the unwashed masses?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Sci-fi fan stereotypes and all, but that's a terrible thing for you to call Phil.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Phil's knocking at my door, every day, trying to get a discount on his Disney Plus account by recommending a friend. I don't know why he doesn't try any of the other doors, or why he wouldn't accept the five dollars it would cost in the form of cash, but if he REALLY wants to sell me, he needs to take a shower.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

FunkyAl posted:

Phil's knocking at my door, every day, trying to get a discount on his Disney Plus account by recommending a friend. I don't know why he doesn't try any of the other doors, or why he wouldn't accept the five dollars it would cost in the form of cash, but if he REALLY wants to sell me, he needs to take a shower.

Never.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
This is a qubi household. End of story.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

New entry in everybody's favorite sequel fanwork

FunkyAl posted:

This is a qubi household. End of story.

I'm excited for star wars to come to quibi, the only streaming platform that can properly capture the scale and majesty of the modern star wars.

Cease to Hope posted:

Joker is very overtly a film about how, if the underclasses stand in solidarity with each other, they can stand up to and strike a blow against cops and stockbrokers. If you think that a stockbrokers deserve their place in society above the poor and disabled, it is a terrifying movie. If you're on the other side of that divide it is, if anything, too hopeful.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tulip posted:

Joker is very overtly a film about

oh this is dumb CD "i like this movie therefore it's leftist" claptrap, carry on then

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cease to Hope posted:

oh this is dumb CD "i like this movie therefore it's leftist" claptrap, carry on then

Cease to Hope posted:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm da joker baby

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Stairmaster posted:

I'm da joker baby

Woah...

baby joker

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Roth posted:

Woah...

baby joker

Doo doo, doo doo do doo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

but the books say that he was exiled by his people for being an imperial collaborator. now he's a clown in naboo.

so.

mando season 2 gonna end with ahmed best singing vesti la giubba and going out onto the streets of theed.