Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
The brothers adelier dragged on a wee bit, but i'm starting to see why it had to be covered when it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
The way Duane is seeing the kids is both him hallucinating because it's getting close to dark and symbolic of the way he's seeing and treating them. Also, he's one of the main protagonists, he's not going to murder a bunch of children my dudes.

Duane - who ostensibly tries to protect and care for all the kids he encounters, because he is A Dad - is treating these kids pretty terribly, and has been since he got here. Despite the fact that he supposedly believes they're victims of the state and religion they were born into, he's haranguing them about why their beliefs are wrong and what terrible thing is going to happen to them. He was even incredibly cold to Siya, despite the fact that she very obviously doesn't want to get eaten. Instead of trying to develop a rapport with her and rescue her, as she's basically a brainwashed victim, he treats her extremely coldly. How differently would she have taken his earlier offer of help if he hadn't treated her the way he had? There's an explicit comparison to be drawn between how he treated Siya and how he treated Ruffles. Despite what he's telling himself here, he's not actually doing anything to help these kids.

The symbolism of only seeing them as empty shells is because he views them as active participants in a system that's going to murder half of them, despite the fact that they're all isolated, groomed victims of the adults and religion in their life. It's his personal prejudices talking here, not his - currently buried - sincere desire to protect kids. He's not seeing or treating them as people, and the hallucination is explicitly telling the reader that. What we've seen of Duane's hallucinations so far always indicate something about his personal viewpoint, like when we got that first glimpse of Mikaila transposed with Sette before we knew who Mikaila was.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ash posted:

Shall we play another guessing game? Monday will be a two page update, and it will uh end uh, Duane’s time on the stage. And there will be blood. Anyone wanna call what happens?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

rip duane

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

The way Duane is seeing the kids is both him hallucinating because it's getting close to dark and symbolic of the way he's seeing and treating them. Also, he's one of the main protagonists, he's not going to murder a bunch of children my dudes.

Duane - who ostensibly tries to protect and care for all the kids he encounters, because he is A Dad - is treating these kids pretty terribly, and has been since he got here. Despite the fact that he supposedly believes they're victims of the state and religion they were born into, he's haranguing them about why their beliefs are wrong and what terrible thing is going to happen to them. He was even incredibly cold to Siya, despite the fact that she very obviously doesn't want to get eaten. Instead of trying to develop a rapport with her and rescue her, as she's basically a brainwashed victim, he treats her extremely coldly. How differently would she have taken his earlier offer of help if he hadn't treated her the way he had? There's an explicit comparison to be drawn between how he treated Siya and how he treated Ruffles. Despite what he's telling himself here, he's not actually doing anything to help these kids.

The symbolism of only seeing them as empty shells is because he views them as active participants in a system that's going to murder half of them, despite the fact that they're all isolated, groomed victims of the adults and religion in their life. It's his personal prejudices talking here, not his - currently buried - sincere desire to protect kids. He's not seeing or treating them as people, and the hallucination is explicitly telling the reader that. What we've seen of Duane's hallucinations so far always indicate something about his personal viewpoint, like when we got that first glimpse of Mikaila transposed with Sette before we knew who Mikaila was.
I agree with this, and I wonder if the fact that he can still see Sara's face means she's getting to him and he finds it harder to block her out. Maybe because she's gotten on so well with Sette?

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Super early update today, and I don't think anyone called it! Also fairly distressing.

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch15/ch15_114.html

edit: did find Quigley's face morbidly hilarious.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Time for a radical owlectomy, I guess

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

oh my goodness

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
good birb

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Duane was starting to see Sara as a real person there instead of just another object to preach at, before he attacked her. That might be part of why he attacked her, even; that and Siya revealing that he's the one who hit her, not anyone else there, likely shook him terribly and were forcing him to confront things he didn't want to.

I don't think this is a fight Quigley is likely to win, especially hungover and so angry that he's blowing the element of surprise. He's gotten a lot of softer moments and humanization this chapter too, which feels like it might have been setting up for something bad to happen to him. Hopefully not; maybe this is where Elka, Emil, and Minnow barge in or something and things descend into even further chaos.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Duane just ate that bird on stage.

He should have been a death metal band's frontman.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Cat Mattress posted:

Duane just ate that bird on stage.

He should have been a death metal band's frontman.

Or an 80s metal frontman.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

or the popular metal performer Ozzy Osbourne who famously killed a dove with his teeth during a meeting with CBS executives and later did the same with a bat during a concert performance

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
in ozzy's defense, he didn't know the bat was real

that must have been an unpleasant surprise

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

something bad to happen

further chaos.

In Unsounded?!? lol

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Honestly this is going better than I thought, he's taking out his rabid emotions on a poor innocent owl instead of a child.

I mean aside from all the screaming at children.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Flavahbeast posted:

or the popular metal performer Ozzy Osbourne who famously killed a dove with his teeth during a meeting with CBS executives and later did the same with a bat during a concert performance

:thejoke:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
And we're back.

No one seems to be happy here. Although Jivi isn't immediately leaping on Sette or glaring at her angrily; maybe Matty's last talk actually got through to him somewhat. He also did that roundabout reading thing for her and all.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Why do I feel like the underground is very floodable right about now?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Ruffles learning the deep truths about being 'good' and what that entails for a house lizard

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

This is not the rematch between Quigley and Duane I had hoped for, but I'm still excited.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

I just noticed the comic header has an empty shelf of twin skulls. Knowing how much Ashley likes incorporating the website with the page (and brutal murder) they'll probably be filled up soon.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrSnakeLaser posted:

I just noticed the comic header has an empty shelf of twin skulls. Knowing how much Ashley likes incorporating the website with the page (and brutal murder) they'll probably be filled up soon.

That's actually due to them having fallen out after this page (click to advance the comic, and maybe turn your volume down); up to this point the entire thing is full.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Talking about skulls, its probably about time that Duane peels of the rest of his rotting face flesh and embraces the skeletor look.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

JustaDamnFool posted:

Talking about skulls, its probably about time that Duane peels of the rest of his rotting face flesh and embraces the skeletor look.

Iirc he needs the muscles to talk, skeleton plods aren't a thing. It might also make glamours harder.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Iirc he needs the muscles to talk, skeleton plods aren't a thing. It might also make glamours harder.

He's a tacit caster, it's not like he's using verbalization for spellcasting most of the time anyways. Holding himself together on pure magic is probably a bad idea when he loses control at night, but on the other hand it's harder to bite things without a jaw...

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think Duane enjoys being able to speak.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Who is Sessine?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

GunnerJ posted:

Who is Sessine?

Isn't that what Titty-Bird called herself?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes, it's Lady Ilganyag's real(?) name.

Meanwhile, update today. Poor Matty.

"Papa. Say you

Say you love...

Say you love Uaid."

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

yall ever just rip a guys jaw off to get the last word?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Lucky he didn't lose a finger. Quigley got some deft hands. No wonder his wife liked his sullen rear end.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Skippy McPants posted:

Lucky he didn't lose a finger. Quigley got some deft hands. No wonder his wife liked his sullen rear end.
You know, I'm not even convinced of that, since I think it was a semi-arranged marriage and he avoided being home as much as possible. He certainly feels something, he keeps her life's work even if Uaid is extremely conspicuous, talks up her brilliance, and her state-sanctioned murder seems to have been the last straw for him having any kind of hope, but the more we learn about their actual dynamic the more I think it's questionable they actually liked or loved each other.

They feel more like two people who could have clicked together extremely well if circumstances were different (his PTSD, for one), but in the circumstances they were actually in the friction and emotional walls were too much to handle, even as they each saw traits in each other they admired and wished they could connect with more, but that just made the fighting more frustrating and the household more unbearable.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Need a lift?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I like that quigs is a dilf but also a bitter old man in one.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Okay, the three most powerful protagonists are all in the same room so something horrible is going to happen now.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

Okay, the three most powerful protagonists are all in the same room so something horrible is going to happen now.

Protagonists is somewhat questionable in this story. Most powerful maybe even more so especially if you aren't just looking at "who wins in a 1v1 fight".

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Protagonist isn't synonymous with good. They're all major PoV characters.

And the only other big PoV character I'd bet against any of those three in a fight with is probably Bastion.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Skippy McPants posted:

And the only other big PoV character I'd bet against any of those three in a fight with is probably Bastion.

Friendly Coffee is the true hero of this story. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

Bastion got owned by Elka, Duane would flatten him. Duane's easily the scariest wright of the three in a fair-ish fight, it's just that most of the fights have been at least a little unfair (and Prakhuta, who caught his shot, specifically cheats by outsourcing most of his pymary processing to a million smoke eels).

Elka probably deserves more battlewright recognition than she gets from Cresce, to be fair. Just thinking on her feet to nonlethally take down a wright who is teleporting, when everyone knows teleporting is impossible, is pretty good.

then again, if she got more recognition she might be one of Keon's coworkers rather than Toma's right hand badass, so