Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

dantheman650 posted:

Is a high or low projected post-delivery condition for bot orders good? I thought for sure high (as in this will be the package’s condition after delivery) but it seems like the opposite when I actually see the results screen.

yeah, it's a bit counter-intuitive: that percentage is how much damage the delivery has taken. so a 5% would mean it's actually in almost perfect condition; a 95% means it's almost completely ruined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

drkeiscool posted:

yeah, it's a bit counter-intuitive: that percentage is how much damage the delivery has taken. so a 5% would mean it's actually in almost perfect condition; a 95% means it's almost completely ruined

Oh dear, I've made some people very unhappy :smith:

night slime
May 14, 2014
Don't feel bad, I didn't really understand the delivery system at first and left like 32 standard orders in the private locker for 30 hours of the game and then delivered them. It kept 1/5 of my star uneven forever. Weird thing was I didn't even realize what happened with the star until someone stumbled upon me in bridge links and tweeted me about the miscolored star to make fun of me

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Ok. I’ll chalk that up to just another bad UX decision.

I’m in Chapter 5 now. Am I wasting my time building all the roads from Lake Knot to South Knot or will those continue to come in handy? I have more than a few segments left and it’s a real pain in the butt (but so satisfying)

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
All roads are useful.

I forget, have you linked up South Knot by that point? Because once you link a region, other people's contributions to your roads start to count. That's the only reason not to build a road as soon as you can afford it, it's a pretty significant discount. The only mechanical reason, anyway, discounting people who just don't like playing with roads.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Krazyface posted:

All roads are useful.

I forget, have you linked up South Knot by that point? Because once you link a region, other people's contributions to your roads start to count. That's the only reason not to build a road as soon as you can afford it, it's a pretty significant discount. The only mechanical reason, anyway, discounting people who just don't like playing with roads.

Yep. I just have three remaining road segments in the middle remaining.

How far can you get from a truck full of cargo before it will get lost? I like the idea of loading a bunch of standard orders up, driving down the road, and getting out with a floating platform to make stops here and there but I’m worried about losing all the cargo in the truck.

Furthermore, what’s the purpose of standard deliveries? Or even likes in general? Is there any point to getting a star rating up with a facility? I see they offer more materials but I don’t really need them.

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 26, 2020

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

dantheman650 posted:

Furthermore, what’s the purpose of standard deliveries? Or even likes in general? Is there any point to getting a star rating up with a facility? I see they offer more materials but I don’t really need them.

Some places give you new gear, and increasing star rating gives you the next level of that gear e.g a next level gun or exo skeleton. After level 5 there are some places that will give you unique, high quality items as rewards (e.g high capacity blood bags, chiral versions of items like ladders or climbing boots which are more timefall resistant), or possibly even before then if they have nothing else to give.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
The extra bandwidth you get for superfluous but awesome ziplines is incredibly key

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Yeah, once you start building your silly awesome ziplines which zoom you over the mountaintops, you're gonna want that bandwidth. The new and updated gear you get is also incredibly useful.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I can't remember who gives out high density chemicals and special alloys but you could probably tell by the density of my level three lines

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Sometimes you raid a MULE camp and every locker is full of special alloys and you think GET THE TRUCK, WE'RE GOING TO THE HILLS.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I remember just smashing mules in the face with acquired chemicals and alloys before I got ziplines and I was so absolutely reckless and it hurts me to recall

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you've never tried chucking an XL size container at MULE, do it sometime, if you get a sprinting start they fly pretty far and the result is humorous.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

CJacobs posted:

If you've never tried chucking an XL size container at MULE, do it sometime, if you get a sprinting start they fly pretty far and the result is humorous.

can i throw a box at a truck and make the truck explode?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No, but you can hurl Vog decoy containers at incoming trucks with MULEs clinging on to detonate the container and knock them all out instantly. If you feel like being a real dick you can attach some remote stun grenades or god forbid real proximity grenades to a piece of cargo and then chuck it, it'll explode on impact.

edit: You can also turn motorcycles into portable stupid dumb action movie bombs by sticking a ton of explosives to them and then hitting square(?) to dive off while driving at your target. Lots of MGSV open world goofiness still works in Death Stranding despite the more limited toolset.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 26, 2020

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CJacobs posted:

No, but you can hurl Vog decoy containers at incoming trucks with MULEs clinging on to detonate the container and knock them all out instantly. If you feel like being a real dick you can attach some remote stun grenades or god forbid real proximity grenades to a piece of cargo and then chuck it, it'll explode on impact.

edit: You can also turn motorcycles into portable stupid dumb action movie bombs by sticking a ton of explosives to them and then hitting square(?) to dive off while driving at your target. Lots of MGSV open world goofiness still works in Death Stranding despite the more limited toolset.

You're really making me want to hop back in and just dick around for a few hours but NO I've goes finish Control :mad:

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Wow I haven't used the decoys at all.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Smoke decoy boxes also explode when you toss them with sufficient force. Throw one at a group of MULEs standing together and then sprint in and start doing haymakers while they're all stunned like god intended!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

This was an experience. Memorable as hell, beautiful, and polished. The world built is vast, but shallow to the point of being distracting... Nearly nothing holds up to scrutiny, to the point where every new plot element feels like Deus Ex Machina. I believe because the game's fun, and asking questions would detract from the experience; there are no answers written. This isn't a sci fi world where you can explore the new concepts for a hint of what could be.

The rules holding the world together are fragile - And that's OK.

The character names on the level of Hiro Protagonist.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 26, 2020

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Dominoes posted:

The character names on the level of Hiro Protagonist.

https://youtu.be/t-3i6GBYvdw

Kojima just does that kind of thing all the time. Subtlety is not his style. MGS at least justified it most of the time as a code name, Death Stranding just says gently caress it and names the main characters after important groups and concepts in the game. It's almost a shock when Higg's real name is something normal.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I was really loving stoned when Higgs showed up so I formulated his completely normal loving name was a kind of refutation of fatalism. In hindsight Kojima probably just thought it sounded cool

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Finding out Die Hardman's real name on my own unspoiled is probably the funniest thing I encountered in my billion hours playing this thing

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

His games are tactical monkeycheese and I love them

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

We put 2 and 2 together when Peter Englert started ordering pizzas. Peter Englert is a combination of Peter Higgs and Francois Englert, the men who figured out the Higgs Boson. The reveal at the end was still really fun. Some people hate Kojima for this stuff, I adore him for it.

Not every story has to be an imitation of lovely 2010s prestige tv, you can explore concepts that are meaningful to you in other ways and, god forbid, even have fun while doing so!

barbecue at the folks fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 29, 2021

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

barbecue at the folks posted:

My wife with a STEM degree was the one who put 2 and 2 together when Peter Englert started ordering pizzas. Peter Englert is a combination of Peter Higgs and Francois Englert, the men who figured out the Higgs Boson. The reveal at the end was still really fun. Some people hate Kojima for this stuff, I adore him for it.
:aaaaa:

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

The unforgivable B-movie villain is forgivable, since the other quasi-antagonists are better.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’m in Chapter 5 now and there’s so much I want to do! Better to keep on with the story missions or is now a good time to go mess around with all the side stuff? Worth it to go back to the starting area?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Starting area's boring in some ways due to linearity, but has pretty parts. Things I found tough early on are much easier, since now you have weapons, vehicles, can deal better with mules not always finding you etc. The East coast was so punishing the first time around due to not having the tools you get quickly after reaching central.

Everyone says ziplines are fun, and I never tried them, so there's that.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 1, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zip lines make getting to the Wind Farm much less of a chore.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The whole game is chores

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I stopped playing Death Stranding, and I don't remember what I was doing, but now I have so many packages that I can't fit them on the mule truck, how do I lessen my package load? Can I store delivery packages? I ended up just handing everything off to be delivered by someone else, does that effect quests or anything? I had picked them up before I loaded the save if that matters (So I can't go back to an earlier save and pick up less.)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

I stopped playing Death Stranding, and I don't remember what I was doing, but now I have so many packages that I can't fit them on the mule truck, how do I lessen my package load? Can I store delivery packages? I ended up just handing everything off to be delivered by someone else, does that effect quests or anything? I had picked them up before I loaded the save if that matters (So I can't go back to an earlier save and pick up less.)

You can put them in the private locker if you’d like to come back and do them yourself. But no, you can’t permanently lock yourself out of anything, if it was an initial delivery for a shelter it will respawn and if it was just some random briefcase there will be plenty more.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Just make a Postbox with a PCC and shove everything in there - there’s no limit. Come back and grab stuff as you please.

Meanwhile I’m in Chapter 8 now. Who could have predicted that’s why they call him Heartman?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dantheman650 posted:

Just make a Postbox with a PCC and shove everything in there - there’s no limit. Come back and grab stuff as you please.

Meanwhile I’m in Chapter 8 now. Who could have predicted that’s why they call him Heartman?

That's not even the best name explanation you get. :getin:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I started playing a week ago, have a couple of questions about roads:

- From what I've seen, linking a region triggers a dump of materials in the corresponding roads. Is that right, or am I imagining things?
- How bad is the timefall degradation? Roads are a big investment, at least so far.

Also, yesterday was my birthday and was pleasantly surprised to see the game acknowledge it, with cutscenes and cake and everything. It was a nice touch considering I'm stuck at home due to COVID.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

When Lockne gives me the cold shoulder do I just hike back the way I came?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Fat Samurai posted:

- From what I've seen, linking a region triggers a dump of materials in the corresponding roads. Is that right, or am I imagining things?
- How bad is the timefall degradation? Roads are a big investment, at least so far.

-Yeah once you're linked to the network, other people's road contributions will start showing up in your game. It's even possible for a road to be completed with no input from you (but you're better off doing it yourself IMO).
-On ladders and ropes and stuff, it's pretty severe. On roads it may as well not exist. I took like a hundred hours to finish the game, across three months, and my roads never got below 50%. I think that other people's repairs partially heal your roads; not sure though.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

When Lockne gives me the cold shoulder do I just hike back the way I came?

-Yeah, you're going to need another mission to bring her around. You can go back the way you came, or you can go east through a mountain pass to the weather station. The second option is probably harder, but you get a new song out of it at least.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The wind farm was a pain in the arse until I got a zipline through the area. Does it get worse with preppers with no sight lines or roads?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The wind farm was a pain in the arse until I got a zipline through the area. Does it get worse with preppers with no sight lines or roads?

That one is probably the most annoying because of the BTs though there is a later pepper that is a complete pain in the rear end to get to without zip lines and is reluctant to join the network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Midjack posted:

That one is probably the most annoying because of the BTs though there is a later pepper that is a complete pain in the rear end to get to without zip lines and is reluctant to join the network.

All of the preppers who take some deliveries before joining up are in remote/hard to reach areas. The ones that are hard to reach because of being on a mountain side or in a canyon, you can at least open up the network as close as possible, set up a zipline station as near as you can get it, and use ladders/rope to make the rest of the trip a little easier. There's one who's out on the edge of one of the big flat areas, that one's not so bad if you take a long-distance truck and make yourself a charging station (or just drive to the nearest garage, which isn't too bad).
The First Porter is the only one who is too far from the borders of other prepper's network areas to really do this. You can't get a zipline close enough to overcome the terrible steep slope that dork lives on, and it makes him IMO the biggest pain.