Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Babe Magnet posted:

this game looks dope, how well would you guys say it's help up over the years? Once a sale happens again I'll probably end up getting it, but I'm only really interested in playing Guy Who's Legally Not Ghostface, but is Instead Wearing the Same Mask Ghostface Does in "Scream".

A sale is happening right now. The basic game is -60% on Humble Store (you get a Steam key), and the DLC is ~50% off there as well.

There's also a sale on PS4 going right now, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Also important to keep in mind is that whenever there's a bloodpoints event (like the upcoming one on Oct 29th) the BP multiplier also stacks on top of BBQ&C / WGLF and ignores the per-match cap. During the yearly anniversaries, bloodwebs have cakes that give around 100% extra BP per player that uses one as an offering, so if you add that to BBQ&C / WGLF you can easily get over 600% BPs during the couple weeks those events last. Cakes also last forever in case you want to stock up.

(WGLF being the survivor equivalent of BBQ&C)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

well poo poo, there we go

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

this game looks dope, how well would you guys say it's help up over the years? Once a sale happens again I'll probably end up getting it, but I'm only really interested in playing Guy Who's Legally Not Ghostface, but is Instead Wearing the Same Mask Ghostface Does in "Scream".

Been blasting through Otz's channel too.

excuse me he is not Ghostface he is The Ghost Face. They actually have the original robes as paid DLC now so I don't know if they got the license for that or if that was also owned by the mask company.

He's a pretty fun killer, and on the whole the game has gotten better each year. The devs make regular missteps but the overall trajectory is good. You might also wanna grab Leatherface. He's got a really good perk for killers - BBQ & Chili - and is also a pretty good killer to learn the basics with.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 26, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I bought Leatherface. I might buy Clown, seeing as he's apparently the next killer getting buffed and I love the idea of a killer clown.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Babe Magnet posted:

Ghost face is a licensed killer, so A.) That's actually ghost face legally and B.) He is gonna cost 5$ (2.50 if he's on sale)

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

And speaking of $2.50 on sale, here's the $2.50 on sale Ghost Face direct link on Humble Store.

The real tragedy here is that none of the Scream movies are streaming on any service worth a drat this October.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Babe Magnet posted:

Honestly? The game has only gotten better over the years. I dodged the early days of literal infinite loops, survivors always fast vaulting, og BT giving its effect to both unhooker and unhooked, etc. For all the flak BHVR gets they've done a good job for balancing for fun while occasionally trying new stuff that works sometimes, sometimes doesn't.

The game is fun, though I think survivor is way more fun with friends.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

Ghost face is a licensed killer, so A.) That's actually ghost face legally and B.) He is gonna cost 5$ (2.50 if he's on sale)

Turns out that the mask and the character from the Scream movies are owned by different companies. So DBD has the rights to the mask, which is worn by their completely original character The Ghost Face which is different from Ghostface, who is in Scream.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

If you watch the second trailer, you can see the license is from Fun World for just the mask. I don't know if they ended up picking up the license for Ghost Face later since you can buy the classic robes and they're labelled that, but that's why they had to make their own Ghost Face OC.

Actually just checked their website and you can buy "Ghost Face Mask W/ Shroud" so no they probably just only have the license from the mask company still.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Boba Pearl posted:

I was mostly just joking about how the license listed on the steam store page originally (still is?) was for "Ghost Face", the mask itself, owned by Fun World Div. Easter Unlimited Inc. and no any mention of the Scream movie franchise or Dimension Films or any of that lol. If you can buy the old robes though maybe they worked something out.

Evil Kit posted:

Honestly? The game has only gotten better over the years. I dodged the early days of literal infinite loops, survivors always fast vaulting, og BT giving its effect to both unhooker and unhooked, etc. For all the flak BHVR gets they've done a good job for balancing for fun while occasionally trying new stuff that works sometimes, sometimes doesn't.

The game is fun, though I think survivor is way more fun with friends.

This is what I was worried about, the last time I checked in on this game in any serious capacity it was just mountains of balance complaints with nothing good ever really being said about the game. Glad to hear it's improved.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Note that both sides of the playerbase are filled with salt and the veracity of any actual balance complaint is subject to the context of how recently the complainer just got mori'd/mind-gamed by Spirit/ate a decisive strike/got gen-rushed. :D

I got into the game at the start of September and feel like I haven't missed anything, in fact the killer spread is huge and the game is popular so it feels as jumping as any release month multiplayer game. I do have some curiosity for how the original Freddy worked and old Ruin looks like pure cruelty but that's about it. The humble sale is as good a time as any to get the game and bite on 1-3 really interesting looking killers, my OG 2 being Plague and Pyramid Head. Blight chapter is the most recent so it isn't on sale yet but if you log in every day from now until a little into November you should have 9-10k iri shards. 9k will buy you Blight himself or one of the discounted fancy seasonal skins.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 26, 2020

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Babe Magnet posted:

This is what I was worried about, the last time I checked in on this game in any serious capacity it was just mountains of balance complaints with nothing good ever really being said about the game. Glad to hear it's improved.

Let it be known, people will complain about literally anything. The whole dedicated server thing people were begging for forever? When BHVR implemented it there was immediate backlash cause "muh dead hard". Wow, it's like p2p was their first choice (partially) since latency can be hard to balance when one of the five players needs to have prio on hits to have any kind of chance at the game!

Some complaints you'll hear about are totally justified (moris are unfun overall, keys are also equally game warping for a single item) while others are just people bitching because they don't like or understand a change. Play the game and if you have fun, that's what matters. Depending on how much you spent you'll get more than your money's worth of gameplay from this game if you get even slightly invested in it.

e;fb kinda but my points still stand as reinforcement :colbert:

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Doomykins posted:

I do have some curiosity for how the original Freddy worked and old Ruin looks like pure cruelty but that's about it.

Imagine you're an M1 killer that has to wait 4 seconds to hurt anyone. Imagine watching some one unhook near a gate and knowing you couldn't down anyone. That's old Freddy. edit: gently caress people used to even be able to keep Freddy from picking people up by healing them. Since you couldn't interact with awake survivors at all, if an awake survivor was healing a downed survivor you would have to go through the whole 4 second rigamarole to hopefully interrupt them before they got the other person back up (who would then be awake iirc).

Old Ruin wasn't that bad, especially since old Ruin means old toolboxes, it just had a psychological effect on survivors way out of proportion to the damage it dead. They also later made the penalty for multiple survivors working on the same generator worse and reduced the great skill check bonus.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 26, 2020

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I didn't know all that, whoops lol.

e: I thought because they had the face and the shroud they had the character, but I never watched the trailer myself.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

TGLT posted:

Imagine you're an M1 killer that has to wait 4 seconds to hurt anyone. Imagine watching some one unhook near a gate and knowing you couldn't down anyone. That's old Freddy. edit: gently caress people used to even be able to keep Freddy from picking people up by healing them. Since you couldn't interact with awake survivors at all, if an awake survivor was healing a downed survivor you would have to go through the whole 4 second rigamarole to hopefully interrupt them before they got the other person back up (who would then be awake iirc).

*yelling in abject terror*

Jesus Christ how terrifying. Current Freddy is simple, strong and fun, seeing people botch their evading due to the oblivious effects is funny every time. He seems ideal for when I decide I want to marathon to Rank 1, especially once I can teach Pop to him.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Boba Pearl posted:

I didn't know all that, whoops lol.

e: I thought because they had the face and the shroud they had the character, but I never watched the trailer myself.

It's more funny than anything, Ghostface was only ever Guy(s) Wearing The Ghost Face Mask anyway lol. I think the biggest thing that gives it away though is the fact that they didn't release anything else Scream related; no Survivor and no Map.

Also tearing through pro youtuber's channels has given me a decent grip on what the difference between Complaints and Actual Problems are right now I feel, but I know that being new to this game specifically and also this genre of game means that by the time I'm good enough to get to the point where a lot of these problems actually start mattering, they'll be changed and patched and newer issues will crop up

Freddy's also another strong contender for me spending my money since so much is on sale.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 26, 2020

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I got the game as a gift a couple months ago. With the sale you can get all the DLC (not counting soundtrack and cosmetics) for about $60. That's the same price as a new video game, so I said "gently caress it" and just got everything.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

My only complaint about Freddy is that every time I play him I realize about halfway through the match that I would rather just be playing Hag, but I accept that that's a personal weakness and not anything bad about the character.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh boy I have basically no idea what I'm supposed to do as a killer, but I guess chainsawing people and hanging them from dirty meat hooks is still fun.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Doomykins posted:

*yelling in abject terror*

Jesus Christ how terrifying. Current Freddy is simple, strong and fun, seeing people botch their evading due to the oblivious effects is funny every time. He seems ideal for when I decide I want to marathon to Rank 1, especially once I can teach Pop to him.

The complete disaster of Freddy, his nerf, and the subsequent shitshow of the Feb patch is why we have PTBs so there's something good that came out of it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I did not previously realize that add-ons etc are consumable.

E: fun moment in my last game, I managed to chainsaw run two survivors down RIGHT at the exit line with one sweep. Of course I could only carry one off to the hooks while the other crawled over the finish line, but that was still a pretty cool horror movie moment.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 26, 2020

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Pre-rework Freddy wasn't bad per say, he was just unfun and boring to play as and against. Also one perk (Self-Care) which was very meta at the time was the closest thing to a hard counter a killer could have in a single perk was a problem for a long time. There were a number of players out there that figured out a pretty solid build for old Freddy that was counter-intuitive to how you would expect to play him. Hell, even Ortz loved pre-work Freddy and thought he was pretty decent which is saying something.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Okay, but the Ghost Face not being Ghostface does mean that we get a killer with an absolutely wild backstory of "he's doing it for the Vine." I'd say that's a win.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Nah, Otz was/is wrong and old Freddy was trash. Like sure you could 4K with him but you could 4K with speedlimiterface, that's not really a reflection of the killer being viable just that the game doesn't have skill based matchmaking. Infinite info just didn't make up for being an M1 killer, outside of maybe that one build to get a near zero terror radius.

edit: Besides he was also just really dull to play against since he was basically just Man With Knife-Glove. I dunno, I don't think Freddy is particularly interesting for either side now either.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 26, 2020

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I mean I agree with you for the most part, it's just that old Freddy wasn't meme trash bad as people made him out to be. It's just the "good" strategy with him was so counterintuitive while his power was so boring and one note for both sides generally it just made him... not good overall.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Freddy's cool now. I dunno about his power level, but he's certainly unique.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The only killer I really hate playing against as a survivor is The Doctor. I know he's not the strongest or anything, but as a big proponent of counter play I hate that there's nothing you can do about insanity once you're inflicted with it. Yeah, once it gets up to level three you can lower it back down to one, but at levels one and two you're completely helpless. I don't like uncurable status ailments in games.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

For me it's Plague. Doctor's madness effects aren't too bad unless they happen to be using Iri King and they don't really disable any perks. Iri King doctor is extremely irritating however.

Plague on the other hand, as I've mentioned previously, not only disables a ton of perks but is kind of a catch 22 of a power. If you cleanse, you give her arguably one of the best powers in the game. If you don't, you constantly have to play with only 1 hit and vomiting noises that give you away.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
Plague > Doctor for me. I've conditioned myself to look at the center of the screen when I hear the skill check sfx, and the interface screwing caused by Madness throws me off every time.

Plus when you cleanse, it sounds like the entity rips a great big echoey fart, and I laugh every time I hear it

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I love Blight but I hate the "6 lethal rushes in one round" challenge, because honestly, in a given round I'm probably going to have 2 or 3 good opportunities to LR someone and a half dozen more times where I should probably just run at them normally.

Also did you know: You can rush at the corn and get hung up on it, such that you glitch in place and burn all your charges until you hit the reset animation? It's true!

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

The worst killer to play against is Spirit because they murder me and my friends :mad:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

If you run into a Survivor that's clearly griefing as a Killer, ie pointing out their friends, how do you handle it? Shrug and accept or whack them for being a poor sport?

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Pyrolocutus posted:

If you run into a Survivor that's clearly griefing as a Killer, ie pointing out their friends, how do you handle it? Shrug and accept or whack them for being a poor sport?

imo, if ranked/matchmaking, just tunnel and camp them until they're elminated or the game ends. either way, report them at end of game.

otherwise, lol

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fun times. Co-oping with a friend, and we ran into a pair of red rank survivors, who rage quit the game the first time one of them got hooked.

That game didn't go so well.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Evil Kit posted:

Plague ... is kind of a catch 22 of a power. If you cleanse, you give her arguably one of the best powers in the game. If you don't, you constantly have to play with only 1 hit and vomiting noises that give you away.

But at least I have that choice. I understand that both of those options are worse than what I'm afflicted with by the Doctor, but I personally get to choose which of those two options I think is tactically and personally preferable. With the Doctor my only choice is to go gently caress myself.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Ruzihm posted:

imo, if ranked/matchmaking, just tunnel and camp them until they're elminated or the game ends. either way, report them at end of game.

otherwise, lol

I was taken aback enough that I didn't know how to respond, so I just kinda let them go that time. In future yeah, I'll scrag 'em.

I think I'm getting a bit better at killer now, cutting people off rather than just straight following them, and hit a few shots with Huntress. I've also started searching for hatches now while trying to check generators but I've accepted that three-hooking is a good performance for me at this point. Tried Trapper/Nurse/Huntress today to clear dailies but I snagged Leatherface from the Humble Store to start leveling him for BBQ and Chili although I've got the Doctor at a decent level.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Pyrolocutus posted:

I was taken aback enough that I didn't know how to respond, so I just kinda let them go that time. In future yeah, I'll scrag 'em.

I think I'm getting a bit better at killer now, cutting people off rather than just straight following them, and hit a few shots with Huntress. I've also started searching for hatches now while trying to check generators but I've accepted that three-hooking is a good performance for me at this point. Tried Trapper/Nurse/Huntress today to clear dailies but I snagged Leatherface from the Humble Store to start leveling him for BBQ and Chili although I've got the Doctor at a decent level.

Just to clarify if they happen to lead you into another survivor while you're chasing them that doesn't necessarily mean they're doing it on purpose. If they're literally like running up to you and emoting and stuff. yeah, screw em.

Another thing, as a bonus "sorry for your poo poo teammate" if you end up winning, what you can do is find the hatch before you take care of the last survivor and instead of hooking them drop them off at the hatch. Keeps the game more interesting for everyone than just giving the survivors the win but lets them get something for their effort despite poor circumstances.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

rydiafan posted:

But at least I have that choice. I understand that both of those options are worse than what I'm afflicted with by the Doctor, but I personally get to choose which of those two options I think is tactically and personally preferable. With the Doctor my only choice is to go gently caress myself.

Fair. Maybe it's just having dealt with enough Doctors it doesn't bother me so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Kill all survivors, no mercy.