Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what do you like about your desk and what do you not like. my current one kinda sucks and im gonna build a replacement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
yes

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i bought a hardwood sit/stand desk from these dudes awhile back and have been super happy with it, op
https://www.upliftdesk.com/

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

mine is a small lovely desk I got to fit in the small area I had for the desk. desk itself sucks

however I got a nice keyboard tray from some company called "vivo" for it though, and having the keyboard really low I think is important. I see a ton of people with their keyboards too high, and it think its bad for you

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

no

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Pardot posted:

mine is a small lovely desk I got to fit in the small area I had for the desk. desk itself sucks

however I got a nice keyboard tray from some company called "vivo" for it though, and having the keyboard really low I think is important. I see a ton of people with their keyboards too high, and it think its bad for you

yeah always keeb safely, op

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my desk is a rectangle that I put my computer things on

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i used to have a very bad desk, it was a clunky l-shaped pile of crap with this hutch that was only good for wasting space and accumulating junk

now i have a good desk. went to a used office furniture place, got a new 72" x 30" laminate desk surface and a couple used filing cabinets for $260 total. desk surface is screwed down to the cabinets. semi-DIY like this is the way to go imo

still waffling on getting a couple of fancy monitor arms

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ya i think the main things im torn on now are like, do i want shelves or drawers or anythin?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

do i want room on top for my Sick Gaming Rig?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i bought a slab of butcher block countertop from ikea and put it on two trestle legs also from ikea, it's a good desk.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

The Management posted:

:hmmyes:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

The Management posted:

the ideal desk

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

:eng101: you can also put coffee and snacks on a desk

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

all u need in life is a computer with a desk to post from

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

i made a table to go with the chair

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

akadajet posted:

i bought a hardwood sit/stand desk from these dudes awhile back and have been super happy with it, op

i have this and its good

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Bored Online posted:

i have this and its good

SIX HUNDRED EARTH DOLLARS!!!

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Bored Online posted:

i have this and its good

yeah

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yes

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah its fine. it looks great and has a nice drawer, but the drawer means that the height isn't quite right

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the pro move is to make your company buy a $800 sit-stand desk and never once adjust the height except when the horrible up/down switch gets knocked by your knee and you carefully set it back to exactly where it was

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

Thanks was looking at these guys for a solid one... do you have any accessories that either sucked or you wish you had gotten. I was curious if putting my computer in that bracket would be cool or annoying.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

the pro move is to make your company buy a $800 sit-stand desk and never once adjust the height except when the horrible up/down switch gets knocked by your knee and you carefully set it back to exactly where it was

this was me in the office. i'd knock it and it'd short circuit and revert to like the 24" setting, basically attempting to crush me in the process

it took me a shamefully long time to realize that if i just unplugged it it'd stop trying to eat me

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i don't have any desk op

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
honestly no, op. my wfh setup is loving garbage. need a new desk asap

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

im thinking about gluing up a black cherry top, around 27" deep, 5'6" long, do some drawers at one end, free legs at the other, little bit of skirt, some built-in cable management. gluing up a panel sounds like a pain in the rear end, but none of these hardwood plywoods look like they'd be particularly nice either

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i'd go a tad deeper but i don't want it to be a huge pain in the rear end to get in/out of the office

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Bloody posted:

i'd go a tad deeper but i don't want it to be a huge pain in the rear end

big same

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

text me

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Bloody posted:

gluing up a panel sounds like a pain in the rear end

its pretty easy if you get your boards already jointed. then its just a matter of how many clamps you have.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

make sure that you have flat studs :heysexy:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

rotor posted:

its pretty easy if you get your boards already jointed. then its just a matter of how many clamps you have.

oh look at john jacob astor over here with his pre-joined boards. i bet you don’t even have to make your own nails.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

my name is rotor and i walk around on loose straw because i think im too good for bare dirt floors!

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
it’s alright. it goes up and down which is cool for me to pretend like I might one day stand and program

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

i got my desk open box for real cheap because it had rack mounts and shelves for all of my stupid music poo poo.

i like the back shelf for my studio monitor speakers + the placement of a second screen directly above the first. it has served me well but i have since accumulated too much stupid music poo poo and have also switched from using a laptop to a desktop. if i had more money and space in my office that i currently share with two other people i would upgrade to this so that i'd have more horizontal space for actually writing and poo poo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Hed posted:

Thanks was looking at these guys for a solid one... do you have any accessories that either sucked or you wish you had gotten. I was curious if putting my computer in that bracket would be cool or annoying.

I got the under desk computer bracket. It doesn’t go wide enough for most cases so I ended up taking the side bracket off and using some nylon straps I got from amazon. I have a meshify c and that was too wide for it. I think they are designed for thinner profile dell desktops or something. it’s nice having it under the desk but it was annoying to get working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

i bought a slab of butcher block countertop from ikea and put it on two trestle legs also from ikea, it's a good desk.

same, except i made the legs myself from welded steel 3x1 square tube and it is tensioned with steel cables.

it is solid as a rock and probably weighs 150lb