Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Managed to pick up a fully loaded Aeron for $400 from Executive Liquidation in New Jersey (near NYC). Read an article about them on the WSJ and figured I'd send an email. They called back the next day and said they have Herman Miller Aerons/mirra 2s and Steelcase chairs (Leaps/Thinks) in stock. The Aerons are $400, Mirra 2s are $275 and the Steelcase Leaps were $250 (if I remember correctly, they may be cheaper).

If you're in the market I def recommend them. You'll need to pick it up and they take cash only, but give a 2 year mechanical warranty as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterOfDemons
Mar 15, 2003

Custom phone cases, clocks, lighters and much more. Message me for details!

spunkshui posted:

Sup mousepad buddy.

Lol and I feel luxurious teaching off twin 27 inches with a suface pro running the power point.

Im picturing your setup using my own displays and its making me dizzy.

You must sit kinda far back right?

yeah, depending, the top 2 are personal so those are usually on when I'm lounging in the chair but they're low enough so if I am sitting upright, the top/bottom seam is eye level so it's not bad.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
I'm finally building my dream desk. 72"x36" birch countertop from Menards, on legs from Uplift Desk. Stuff to color and prepare the countertop comes in this week, so looking to my next phase of construction: monitor arms.

Anyone have a monitor arm they are impressed with? Most work resources are pointing me to Ergotron, but they spendy. The Amazon Basics arms apparently are made by Ergotron, and cheaper somehow. But I still have 4 monitors (all side by side) I would like to eventually get mounted. Looking at just single arms, so I can keep the desk closer to the back wall. Sounds like Dual arms have issues with getting flush against the back wall. Office space is half a spare bedroom with a bed already in it. So every inch is gold. Why I went with a 36" wide desk, reaching for the stars I guess... But I do want to be able to shift the screens around as I change from standing to sitting and moving office stuff around.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Syves posted:

I'm finally building my dream desk. 72"x36" birch countertop from Menards, on legs from Uplift Desk. Stuff to color and prepare the countertop comes in this week, so looking to my next phase of construction: monitor arms.

Anyone have a monitor arm they are impressed with? Most work resources are pointing me to Ergotron, but they spendy. The Amazon Basics arms apparently are made by Ergotron, and cheaper somehow. But I still have 4 monitors (all side by side) I would like to eventually get mounted. Looking at just single arms, so I can keep the desk closer to the back wall. Sounds like Dual arms have issues with getting flush against the back wall. Office space is half a spare bedroom with a bed already in it. So every inch is gold. Why I went with a 36" wide desk, reaching for the stars I guess... But I do want to be able to shift the screens around as I change from standing to sitting and moving office stuff around.

I'm using 6x Amazon Basics arms throughout the house (my computer, SO's computer, WFH setup) and they've been nothing but great. I opted for all single arms because it gives me the most flexibility in positioning, where I want to use them, and I don't run into issues with my ultrawide screen leaving no room for the other monitor, etc.

In fact, I just moved my side monitor arm to clamp on the side of the desk, rather than the back; it opened up the back corner of the desk for other stuff.

So, yeah, +1 for Amazon Basics single-monitor arms. I think I paid about $99 each for them 3-4 years ago, if memory serves.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Syves posted:

I run 3 monitors and 2 laptops off of 3 sets of arms. 2 monitors and one of the laptops I just use the insanely cheap not-super movable version of the amazon arms for, as I don't move them that much. I put my ultrawide monitor and work laptop on the Fully so that I can move them around and rotate the monitor, I have been extremely happy with it. Very smooth movement, good tension adjustment, and despite my monitor being over their allowed weight, I was able to support it (My co-worker attempted the same thing with his, and it could not support it. Going over listed limits is very much YMMV territory)

$99 for a single arm, $159 for a dual arm:

https://www.fully.com/accessories/monitor-arms.html

Shot from when I was moving in, shows the shape and size of the arm (it's the silver one on the left):

Shot from the middle of my last re-org/re-cable (sorry about the clutter :ohdear: ), shows it in use. I appreciate that I was able to raise the mabook arm high enough for it to be visible above my ultrawide while I work:

---

As a note, while I can technically move the monitors and laptop on the other arms, it's a pain -- Keeping in mind that this is not referring to the version of the amazon basics arm that was linked above, it is a cheaper arm they also sell. The one linked above seems like it'd do you fine.

Edit: Re: dual arms and wall flushness -- the fully dual arm has a little plastic cable management doo-dah that sticks out maybe... half an inch? past the back of my desk. The arms and base don't really extend past the back of my desk, and while I keep my desk an inch or two out from the wall anyway (otherwise my mic stand scrapes the wall when I raise the desk), I don't think it would pose any real issues. Looks like you could probably get the cable management thing off if you really wanted, would be maybe a cm or two thick metal plate flat with the back of your desk then.

surc fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 20, 2020

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Nice battlestation :hai:

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
My only contribution is if you’re planning to put a 30+” monitor on an arm, you should probably spring for a heavy-duty arm. I had a 32” ultrawide on a cheap monoprice arm and it wasn’t a good experience; technically worked but any adjustments felt very unstable and I had to crank down on the tilt tension to get it to stay in place at all. I have it on a ergotron hx arm now and it feels much better.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Thanks, forgot about fully. Was looking at them when was looking for standing desk stuff! Sounds like I don't really need to worry about space behind so much then. Great! Looks like the fully arms are a bit cheaper right now too. Have to wait a bit longer anyway before I can buy any, so maybe see if anything gets cheaper anytime soon. Thanks for the input, Zarlin and surc!

e: ^^ I'm a shameful gamer and have only a 27" and a 24" so not even matched. Work screens are almost as nice as my personal screens. Dual 24's. But I did check the weight for both all my screens. They all seem to give me lot of wiggle room at the moment. Thanks for the reminder!

Syves fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 20, 2020

surc
Aug 17, 2004

No problem, here's an image of what the back of the fully dual arm looks like:

angle in that photo a little weird, but essentially that plastic on the back is just stuck on a metal plate that sits right against the back of your desk, and looks like it's just stuck on to the metal with some adhesive, so you could pry it off or w/e. The curled parts that stick out furthest are very flexible (since they're supposed to let you push cables in there), so I'd imagine worst case they snap off if you push it up against a wall more than it likes :shrug:

Big issue I could see is if you need to set the arms up in an awkward position, as shown in that photo you *can* rotate the arms so that they'd stick out past the back of the desk, but I've had no problem lining my stuff up in ways where it doesn't.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I have a fat desk (~6 inches).

Are there any monitor arm mounting solutions that don't involve drilling holes in it?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Having your ultra wide jut out from your desk that much seems like it’d be hard to view tbh

surc
Aug 17, 2004

shrike82 posted:

Having your ultra wide jut out from your desk that much seems like it’d be hard to view tbh

It's not too bad. When working I generally have a few different things I need to keep aware of but not necessarily be interacting with constantly. I rotate my keyboard and chair towards the screen, and generally keep stuff that doesn't need constant focus on the far left of the screen and on my macbook display, with my main focus being in the right 2/3rds of the ultrawide. Beats the hell out of having to swap between stacked windows that look identical in any preview that comes up to keep track of all the stuff.
Also, curved display helps that be less of an issue, as the left edge is still pointed towards the center of my desk pretty well, so it becomes a slight rotate of my chair instead of weird craning to see what's on that part of the screen clearly like I might on a flat display.

When I'm gaming, I'm usually either playing a game where I'm competing online, in which case I put it on my smaller center monitor for performance, or using a gamepad where I roll back a bit and put my feet up while facing fully towards the ultrawide.

Desk is I think 6.5x2.5 feet or thereabouts, so I have a good amount of room to adjust my kb/mouse orientation in a less "gently caress you, you get ergonomic problems now" way than it might seem.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

I have a fat desk (~6 inches).

Are there any monitor arm mounting solutions that don't involve drilling holes in it?

I don’t know off hand but most of them will have a set of specs or the install manual available for download, which will include the maximum width their bracket can accommodate. 6” is thick enough that you’d need a special bolt even for a through mount, though.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

hypnophant posted:

I don’t know off hand but most of them will have a set of specs or the install manual available for download, which will include the maximum width their bracket can accommodate. 6” is thick enough that you’d need a special bolt even for a through mount, though.

Yeah, I haven't seen one with a bracket wider than 4 inches.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Any recommendations for a standing desk converter that can handle a triple monitor setup?

The total weight of the monitors plus mount is just under 50 or so pounds but it seems like most of converters are designed for a laptop and maybe a monitor so I don't know if they'd be able to handle that kind of weight. While I could just but some new wall mounts, I'd rather not do that until I know that I'm going to use this for a while.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

diremonk posted:

Any recommendations for a standing desk converter that can handle a triple monitor setup?

The total weight of the monitors plus mount is just under 50 or so pounds but it seems like most of converters are designed for a laptop and maybe a monitor so I don't know if they'd be able to handle that kind of weight. While I could just but some new wall mounts, I'd rather not do that until I know that I'm going to use this for a while.

Does it need to be a converter? I feel like an Ergotron desktop riser costs more than an actual sit-stand desk these days.

My sit/stand desk was like $400 from Office Depot, and there are certainly alternatives out there that can get that done for half that or less, I think.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Zarin posted:

Does it need to be a converter? I feel like an Ergotron desktop riser costs more than an actual sit-stand desk these days.

My sit/stand desk was like $400 from Office Depot, and there are certainly alternatives out there that can get that done for half that or less, I think.

My work desk is one that is l-shaped with drawers on either side so that is why I was leaning towards a converter. I could always get a cheap table and put that on my desk to raise everything up but I'm not sure how well that would work.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Crossposting from the keyboard thread:

i vomit kittens posted:

Apologies if this isn't the right thread but I can't think of anywhere better to ask. I'm trying to make some more room on my desk so that I'll actually have room to write by moving my MIDI keyboard. What I'm trying to find is a keyboard tray that can swivel out so that I can put it off to the side of my desk and "turn" it towards me, like in the drawing below. I want the MIDI keyboard to sit under my desk roughly in about the same spot that it sits on top in the top part, and be able to move it to where it is in the bottom graphic. I've searched for "swiveling keyboard trays" online but this yields results that look like they function very differently from each other so I'm not sure which would suit my need without seeing it in person. Does anyone happen to know of something like what I'm talking about?

(sorry for the lovely MS paint graphic)

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking to get an adjustable height desk like this Husky one, but it's too deep. I'm looking for one that's only about 12-18 inches deep, as my apartment is pretty small.

Anyone know of something like this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-62-in-Adjustable-Height-Work-Bench-Table-HOLT62XDB12/301810799

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Head Bee Guy posted:

I'm looking to get an adjustable height desk like this Husky one, but it's too deep. I'm looking for one that's only about 12-18 inches deep, as my apartment is pretty small.

Anyone know of something like this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-62-in-Adjustable-Height-Work-Bench-Table-HOLT62XDB12/301810799

You probably won't find much that narrow. Think of the stability at full height.

Idea: You can always find and buy an adjustable desk base with shallow supports and cut down a sheet of melamine at the box store to just barely cover the top. Slap some edge banding and you got a desk, baby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA5zFUf_5N8

I felt like the thread might appreciate this vid.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Any suggestions for a durable computer desk, about 48 inches wide and under 24 inches deep, with a rollout keyboard tray?

Longbike
Sep 7, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Any suggestions for a durable computer desk, about 48 inches wide and under 24 inches deep, with a rollout keyboard tray?

This might not be exactly what you are looking for, but the Husky adjustable workbench is exactly 24" deep and comes in a 46" width with drawers. You can use the top drawer as a keyboard/mouse tray with some simple modifications. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-46-in-Adjustable-Height-Work-Table-with-2-Drawers-in-White-HOLT4602BJ2/312063246
I have one. It is impressively stout and I love having it on locking casters for easy repositioning.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Longbike posted:

This might not be exactly what you are looking for, but the Husky adjustable workbench is exactly 24" deep and comes in a 46" width with drawers. You can use the top drawer as a keyboard/mouse tray with some simple modifications. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-46-in-Adjustable-Height-Work-Table-with-2-Drawers-in-White-HOLT4602BJ2/312063246
I have one. It is impressively stout and I love having it on locking casters for easy repositioning.

Yeah, I was looking back through the thread and that looked great -- only thing I don't like is the bar across the bottom (I kinda want to put some shelving down there so I can integrate a surround-sound setup). How do you modify the drawer to be a keyboard tray?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Don't forget, it's easy to add a keyboard tray to most desks. If you're having a hard time finding exactly what you want, split-up your search to find the right stuff as separate bits.

Longbike
Sep 7, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I was looking back through the thread and that looked great -- only thing I don't like is the bar across the bottom (I kinda want to put some shelving down there so I can integrate a surround-sound setup). How do you modify the drawer to be a keyboard tray?

You can mount the bottom bar either across the middle or the back. I have it mounted across the back so its out of the way. The bar is also stout enough that you could actually mount shelving to it and have an easily movable posting station.

The drawers are sturdy, shallow (1.75" from bottom of drawer to lip of handle) and have 12.5" of usable space when fully extended. The top drawer has 3.5" of usable depth if you don't install a cosmetic piece across the front of the drawer assembly, so there is just enough space to elevate a keyboard and mouse to flush with drawer handle using a slab of wood or something and still get the drawer closed. Shoot, you could put a piece of butcher block in there and have a desk-within-a-desk if you wanted. My wife used this desk for a while and as it was temporary I just laid a couple of short 2x4's in there to elevate the keyboard and mouse pad and it worked fine.
The slides present a reasonable amount of resistance so you can use it as is with only limited unintentional sliding, but I'd want to incorporate some way to brace or lock the drawer in the fully open position if I were setting it up for long term use.

I'd post pictures, by my desk is currently a half-finished abomination with a Ergotron WorkFit clamped on and multiple laptops scattered over the work surface. Which leads me to my last point- this is my favorite desk ever because it just invites me to make modifications and is stout enough that I can bolt pretty much whatever I want to it without worry. I guess fitness for purpose depends largely on how much tinkering and modification you want to do, but if you are at all handy and enjoy these kinds of projects I recommend it without reservation.

Longbike
Sep 7, 2011
Hell, I may as well post my half-finished goondesk of shame in the desktops thread.

Yes, its a mess. Yes, that is a dead TV repurposed as an under desk light/ desktop computer shelf. No, the desktop computer doesn't currently work. Yes, those are clamps holding various desk extensions made from whatever I had lying around.

Eventually I'll get everything properly organized and bolted down and cable managed. Some day.

Here's a close up of the drawer showing the usable space and all the crap I've shoved in it and forgotten. Should at least give a good idea of fitness for use as keyboard tray.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Longbike posted:

You can mount the bottom bar either across the middle or the back. I have it mounted across the back so its out of the way. The bar is also stout enough that you could actually mount shelving to it and have an easily movable posting station.

The drawers are sturdy, shallow (1.75" from bottom of drawer to lip of handle) and have 12.5" of usable space when fully extended. The top drawer has 3.5" of usable depth if you don't install a cosmetic piece across the front of the drawer assembly, so there is just enough space to elevate a keyboard and mouse to flush with drawer handle using a slab of wood or something and still get the drawer closed. Shoot, you could put a piece of butcher block in there and have a desk-within-a-desk if you wanted. My wife used this desk for a while and as it was temporary I just laid a couple of short 2x4's in there to elevate the keyboard and mouse pad and it worked fine.
The slides present a reasonable amount of resistance so you can use it as is with only limited unintentional sliding, but I'd want to incorporate some way to brace or lock the drawer in the fully open position if I were setting it up for long term use.

I'd post pictures, by my desk is currently a half-finished abomination with a Ergotron WorkFit clamped on and multiple laptops scattered over the work surface. Which leads me to my last point- this is my favorite desk ever because it just invites me to make modifications and is stout enough that I can bolt pretty much whatever I want to it without worry. I guess fitness for purpose depends largely on how much tinkering and modification you want to do, but if you are at all handy and enjoy these kinds of projects I recommend it without reservation.

Thanks, this was all really helpful.

I think what I might do is get either

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Heavy-Duty-6-ft-Adjustable-Height-Workbench-HTC1000004/306659735

or

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gladiat..._-310812122-_-N

(depending on how much the wife lets me re-arrange the furniture -- the Gladiator is more expensive and smaller but I'd have to re-arrange the house a bit to fit the Husky)

and then just bolt a keyboard tray and a hanging bay for an audio reciever onto the underside (what prompted this was looking at setting up real five-point surround on my desktop and realizing in the process that my existing 15-year-old particle board desk was just poo poo that needed replacing before it collapsed).

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Did some re-work today:

Still have some cable clean-up to do and general office tidying, but initial impressions are :krad:

I have 2 systems + Nintendo Switch hooked up here. With a simple batch file execution to switch monitor inputs and a tap of my USB-switch, the entire setup is switched over to work mode with all the peripherals. Pretty handy!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

After a ton of research I finally found why my screen was blurry with my work laptop-- turns out the laptop thinks it's a TV unless you change the CX's port name to "PC" at which point it is crystal clear. Why tho

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Lotsa TVs only do 4:4:4 when hooked up to a computer.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Knot My President! posted:

After a ton of research I finally found why my screen was blurry with my work laptop-- turns out the laptop thinks it's a TV unless you change the CX's port name to "PC" at which point it is crystal clear. Why tho

Your computer sucks, HTH.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
PC mode enables 4:4:4 subsampling it has absolutely nothing to do with your laptop.

E: poo poo this was already answered mb

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Yawn. Lmk when I can do 6.6.6

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I just find it weird that it took a lot of poking around to find that answer. I'd imagine it is fairly common to use a TV as a monitor, and I've had this exact issue with multiple external monitors using HDMI on macs in the past at other jobs and ended up just getting a DP adaptor which remedied the issue. If you google "mac external monitor blurry" the answers are all over the place. I found exactly one support thread where somebody got this particular solution to work, then I googled my monitor/tv and "PC Mode" and got it working.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

I am pretty happy so far, i decided i like my laptop on a stand and me personally will use a stool

Cheese Thief fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 11, 2020

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Is this the best thread for searching for/deciding on a new (computer) desk?

I have this tiny desk :

But the upper shelf is not long enough to fit both of my monitors comfortably.

I think I'd like something similar but larger: so the monitors are still raised above keyboard level, the keyboard isn't stuck in a drawer, and there's a shelf or similar to store things. I'm open to other ideas (e.g. an adjustable shelf?), but would rather not have to mount anything to the wall. Let's say my budget is around $250.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Start with IKEA, various recommended standing desk brands here, and HUSKY or Gladiator workbenches.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

dirby posted:

I have this tiny desk :

I think I'd like something similar but larger: so the monitors are still raised above keyboard level, the keyboard isn't stuck in a drawer, and there's a shelf or similar to store things. I'm open to other ideas (e.g. an adjustable shelf?), but would rather not have to mount anything to the wall. Let's say my budget is around $250.

I have this thing in a bigger size. they go on sale all the time.

these dual arm mounts are highly rated and very adjustable on the fly.

you could even diy/hack something for cables. I use cheap $.99 bike hooks sometimes.

oh they even have two tiered standing desks in tiny sizes pretty cheap!

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 6, 2020

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

dirby posted:

I have this tiny desk :

If you otherwise like the desk then a clamp-on dual monitor arm sounds like an easy solution. There are adjustable and nonadjustable options within your budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

hypnophant posted:

If you otherwise like the desk then a clamp-on dual monitor arm sounds like an easy solution.
Thanks to both of you. This seems like a good start and then I'll see if I still want a new desk proper.
(And thanks to Ok Comboomer, too.)