Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I tried the SG14 and absolutely hated it. It looked great on paper but in practice it was clunky and not nearly as spacious as it may seem. That said if you’re dead set on it I hope you like it and have a better experience with it than I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Unlike the SG14 I like that the NR200 has a white version but holy crap does it annoy me that they thought it was a good idea to do SFX brackets by default especially during a global PSU shortage. At least there's going to be an official ATX bracket...

...mid 2021 :shepface:

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I’ve seen several sites selling 3D printed ATX brackets already, I’m sure the decision between delaying the case to finish the ATX brackets or just rolling with it and selling out right away was an easy one to make.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Unlike the SG14 I like that the NR200 has a white version but holy crap does it annoy me that they thought it was a good idea to do SFX brackets by default especially during a global PSU shortage. At least there's going to be an official ATX bracket...

Global PSU shortage?

Eh?

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Global PSU shortage?

Eh?

Hasn't there been way higher demand ever since covid and shortages since like April/May? TBH I'm not sure whether it's completely global and if it's better now but it's definitely been talked about on hardware news every so often. At least high quality SFX power supplies seem to be on back order in a lot of places where I live right now (gee, I wonder why)

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
It’s absolutely been a pain in rear end to find PSUs, especially Corsair SFX unit and when you can find them they are over MSRP.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

B-Mac posted:

It’s absolutely been a pain in rear end to find PSUs, especially Corsair SFX unit and when you can find them they are over MSRP.

Corsair have them on their site atm.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Corsair have them on their site atm.

Pretty sure he's speaking of the SF750, which is really the only choice for high-performance SFF builds. If you're still buying SF600s you're knowingly gimping any future upgrade paths or overclocking potential.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Warmachine posted:

Pretty sure he's speaking of the SF750, which is really the only choice for high-performance SFF builds. If you're still buying SF600s you're knowingly gimping any future upgrade paths or overclocking potential.

650W's have been reasonably available, and that's more than enough for Ampere + Zen 3. 650W only gets iffy if you want to go Intel + crazy OC. Not sure why you'd want to do that at this point, given that the price difference of Intel + 750W PSU could bump you up a notch on the Zen 3 stack.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I bought a 650 last week and even if I upped my 1080Ti to a 3080 I'd still be about 100W under capacity.

Thats with a 3900X so I don't really agree with saying you are gimping your options.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
Maybe supply has improved a bit but the SF750 and SF600 platinum has been more difficult to find recently. Not sure about Silverstone or EVGA units, not terribly interested in them since them tend to be louder than corsairs units so I haven’t been following them as much.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Sorry. I bought a 600W plat not a 650

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

The SF600 and SF750 platinum have been hard as gently caress to buy all year. Hopefully availability is starting to normalize.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Jeff Fatwood posted:

They're trying to protect you from yourself

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Warmachine posted:

The thing is, an ATX bracket honestly doesn't even solve the problem of PSU shortage issues because, great, now you can fit a 750 watt PSU that isn't the SF750 in your case, but now you can no longer fit the GPU that necessitated you getting a 750 watt power supply in the first place.

The SF600 is widely availiable at MSRP as are plenty of alternatives from Silverstone or EVGA or Seasonic, etc. if you don't need the extra horsepower.

The ATX bracket option just isn't a big deal because the primary reason you'd want to use one is a use case where you'd be running into space issues in the case overall.

Sucks for folks trying to go extreme budget build and reuse an old power supply or something, I guess, but they put up the 3d print plans on the website and while most folks don't have a 3d printer, a surprising number of local libraries, or schools or whatever have them, or there's always eBay. It's a cheap thing it's not that huge a deal.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I need to downsize my work PC that I've brought home from the Meshify S1... it's just stupidly big in my office, and I spend most time RDP'd into it, so I'm thinking of just doing a small mini-ITX box and shoving it somewhere (my home racks are all networking gear, so no rackmount).

Catching up on this thread, I think I'm just going to get the following (since I have an existing mobo, CPU and RAM):

* ROG Strix B550-I
* Scythe Fuma 2
* SGX-650
* NR200

Amazon has white NR200 in stock... where have folks had luck back-ordering NR200s from?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

NewEgg has the Nr200p in white. The P version comes with both mesh side and perforated side so you can choose which you want.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Vigil for Virgil posted:

NewEgg has the Nr200p in white. The P version comes with both mesh side and perforated side so you can choose which you want.

Whoops, I should have clarified, looking for NR200 in black. Not interested in glass sides / extra hardware I'll just toss — from briefly groking this thread, seems like the Fuma 2 fits just fine with either side panel, and is actually better for this case than the usual Noctua suspects.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

movax posted:

Whoops, I should have clarified, looking for NR200 in black. Not interested in glass sides / extra hardware I'll just toss — from briefly groking this thread, seems like the Fuma 2 fits just fine with either side panel, and is actually better for this case than the usual Noctua suspects.

My fuma 2 comes soon so I'll let you know but yeah that seems to be the general consensus.

Ah didn't realise you were after black. Some YT channel I follow posted that somewhere had it in stock so obviously now I can't find which site it was...

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

I ordered white but got black instead - bought from a third party seller on Amazon. Just said gently caress it and kept it cause I don't wanna deal with trying to get a replacement in this environment.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Just spray paint it

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Looks some Amazon seller just got them back, so grabbed one at list.

First SFF build... should be fun! My main / personal desktop I'm cramming Threadripper + a full WC loop into a Meshify C, so will be a fun set of extremes.

What was the recommended fan configuration for the NR200 w/ the single Fuma? Desire to Noctua intensifies.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Sphyre posted:

don't you have a 280mm corsair aio lying around? use that

TG panels don't belong in an sff build as it's space that should be used for ventilation :colbert:

Excuse me but how are you going to properly see the rbg fans if you don't have a window? Hmmm? That's what I thought. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joiJHL_Tx5s. The black versions will be mine.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 27, 2020

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Last build pic. Scythe installed

Bit of number crunching.

Idle temps dropped by 10-15C compared to the Wraith Prism, dropped by about 10C from the AIO.

When underclocking (which is what i had to do to keep temps down with the AIO the Sycthe keeps idle temps below 30 which the AIO couldnt manage)

Running the Blender classroom bench, the CPU never got above 67C. Under the wraith it was getting into the 80s. The AIO was topping around 75-78

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 27, 2020

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I've been following this project's development for a while, and I am all around impressed: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fznalm/winter-one

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

rarbatrol posted:

I've been following this project's development for a while, and I am all around impressed: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fznalm/winter-one

It's a real nice looking case from all I've seen yeah

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I fought for like 15 minutes to get a MSI 3080 into my SM580. There’s like 2mm of clearance between the card and front of the case lol.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

rarbatrol posted:

Nice but not at that price, drat.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Yeah almost $350 is...yikes.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
I really like that Winter One case...

Not sure why we have a response of 'too expensive'? The case that I showed https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776587&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=78#post508776349 was well over $350... and I've been using it for over 7 years.

My point is; a well designed case can certainly be worth the money and last you a long, long time.

It's surprising to me how quick the community will jump on $1000+ video cards that last 3-5 years but a case is a 'no'?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

jink posted:

Not sure why we have a response of 'too expensive'? The case that I showed https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776587&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=78#post508776349 was well over $350... and I've been using it for over 7 years.

My point is; a well designed case can certainly be worth the money and last you a long, long time.

It's surprising to me how quick the community will jump on $1000+ video cards that last 3-5 years but a case is a 'no'?

Show me a case that can produce 100+ fps at 4k and I won't blink at the $700 price tag.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

jink posted:

I got a Sliger SM580 ($269) cause that fucker is solid and built like a tank.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
The price is on the high side, at least for me, but the guy has done a lot of simulations and real life beta testing, and some configurations actually perform better than an open test bench. That said, I think I'm going to hold off though, since there's another project I've been following and I enjoy the aesthetics of if just a little bit more. I guess I'm a fan of mesh more than the "panel full of holes" look.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

jink posted:

Because I can buy a £80 case and put the remaining £260 into more useful hardware?

rarbatrol posted:

That said, I think I'm going to hold off though, since there's another project I've been following and I enjoy the aesthetics of if just a little bit more. I guess I'm a fan of mesh more than the "panel full of holes" look.

Also this.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 29, 2020

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

How often do cases break realstically?

Especially if they don't have bells and whistles like fan controllers etc.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

The biggest problem is not necessarily the case itself breaking but rather hardware and case designs evolving around it. I can't think of a lot of 10+ year old cases I'd like to build in today...

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

VorpalFish posted:

The biggest problem is not necessarily the case itself breaking but rather hardware and case designs evolving around it. I can't think of a lot of 10+ year old cases I'd like to build in today...

Some of the 10 year old Antec cases would be fine to build in, with the exception of those that can’t handle large video cards. Kind of sad to see a brand that was considered one of the best evolve so little, though.

Probably the biggest changes are more ventilation, rear motherboard cut outs for swapping CPU/coolers and NVME, accommodations for larger video cards, cable management channels, and less room allotted for drives as we move away from optical disks and even 3.5” drives. It is almost embarrassing how little has changed in 30 years. We are still mostly on ATX.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

Some of the 10 year old Antec cases would be fine to build in, with the exception of those that can’t handle large video cards. Kind of sad to see a brand that was considered one of the best evolve so little, though.

Probably the biggest changes are more ventilation, rear motherboard cut outs for swapping CPU/coolers and NVME, accommodations for larger video cards, cable management channels, and less room allotted for drives as we move away from optical disks and even 3.5” drives. It is almost embarrassing how little has changed in 30 years. We are still mostly on ATX.

You just gave me a little nostalgia about seeing all those Antec 900 and CoolerMaster HAF X builds :allears:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I had a Define R3 which had probably 3 or 4 completely different setups in it over 10 years or so before I switched from ATX to ITX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vigil for Virgil posted:

How often do cases break realstically?

Especially if they don't have bells and whistles like fan controllers etc.

ah, I see you've never broken a tempered glass side panel before.