Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
we all love the Basque

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

this is absurd lol. we had like one good year of GTs and Sir Dave decided that was enough

Tour was good, Giro was good as we only had sky murder train for one day

Carthy :britain:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

the only good anglo, his win at the 2019 TdS was badass

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Tour was good, Giro was good as we only had sky murder train for one day

there's this Brailsford interview at the Tour where he's like "it seems like the other teams have caught up" and you can tell that's when the big "horse blood = on" switch flips in his head lol

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Wow Carapaz gets beefy when he pulls on the red

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

serious gaylord posted:

They'd be too worried about controlling flat and crosswind stages to take a team of climbers and rely on Thomas to do all the pulling in the wind. Ganna and Dennis are 100% going to the tour for sure.

Isn't Ganna going to do the Olympics?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Funny how we were talking befoe the tour about where the good young British riders were and since then we've had:
- Pidcock
- Knox
- Hart
- Carthy

All have huge performances.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Carthy was really good before this year, I think he had some health/injury problems early this year that prevented him from showing off at the TDF. I remember before he withdrew he was putting death turns at the early stages of the 2019 Vuelta that completely shredded the peloton.

Hart is "out of nowhere" but at the same time, Ineos suddenly turning their number 6 climbing domestique into a GT winner is kind of on-brand for them, vis the 2011 Vuelta.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
How many laptops have died in the process of “developing” these riders?

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

right before his handlebar fell off?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Xabi posted:

How many laptops have died in the process of “developing” these riders?

You simply must take a hammer to a MacBook Air and suddenly your GC rider who, as a protected rider, finished half an hour behind Herman Pernsteiner at his last Grand Tour is literally winning the Giro.

e) didn't see the whole Vuelta stage but just saw how badly Ineos shredded Jumbo's team. Someone is *really* mad that the Dutch had the temerity to try the whole "superteam" thing.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 25, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Withnail posted:

right before his handlebar fell off?
It was moved outside of the peloton.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Hart is "out of nowhere"

I'm not convinced he's going to be a team leader going forward - if Yates hadn't died from covid and Thomas hadn't died from riding in the middle of the pack they'd have been streets ahead of guys like Hindley and Kelderman

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

Also if Sunweb leadership hadn't hosed up the Stelvio stage and had Hindley wait, Kelderman would have won this.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Rojkir posted:

Also if Sunweb leadership hadn't hosed up the Stelvio stage and had Hindley wait, Kelderman would have won this.

Lol, no. Kelderman didn't have the legs. It would just have scuppered Hindley's chances.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rojkir posted:

I seriously doubt that matters given the strength of Ineos's domestiques at the end and Kelderman's legs being unable to get over three difficult but not awful climbs on stage 20 without getting unhitched.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Rojkir posted:

Eh, maybe. TGH would likely have gone up the last climb on stage 18 faster without Hindley sitting on his wheel.

It’s easy to say with hindsight, but Sunweb had to make the call when Wilco dropped with 50km and a shedloads of climbing left in the stage - at that point it was more likely he was gonna lose 10 minutes by the end.

Even if they had stuck with him, it would still be a case of hoping a guy that shipped 4 minutes in the final two mountain stages could scrape over the line.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
really the tactical mistake is "don't enter a grand tour with Wilco Kelderman as your GC rider"

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

He lost most of his time in both stages on the flatter parts, alone against the Rohan. Having Hindley with him would probably saved the 1:30 needed to win this Giro.

e; When Tom Dumoulin won the Giro he wasn't the fastest climber by a long stretch. It's possible to win the overall without the W/kg when needed.

e2; I'm know I'm captain hindsight, but I yelled it at my girlfriend when the Stelvio was happening so we have at least one witness ;-)

Rojkir fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 25, 2020

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Highly dubious about the idea that sitting behind Jai Hindley on a flat road he’d have made back 1m30 vs Rohan Dennis.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Hindley and Klederman limiting limiting the loses by 1.5mins to Dennis is pretty optimistic to begin with. Factor in that it would have allowed Geoghegan Hart license to go full beans on the final climb without Hindley on his wheel.

I suppose they could have helped each other with their jackets.

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 25, 2020

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Rojkir posted:

Kelderman shipped a bunch of time in the next climbing stage, so no?

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Feels Villeneuve posted:

really the tactical mistake is "don't enter a grand tour with Wilco Kelderman as your GC rider"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if Tao could have gone faster. When Hindley did him at the end he looked spent.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Team Sky are filthier than ever

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rain-jacket-mistake-ends-roglics-lead-in-vuelta-a-espana/

Learn to put on loving jackets you idiots.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

goatface posted:

I don't know if Tao could have gone faster. When Hindley did him at the end he looked spent.

Just being able to tempo up on your own is a lot easier than worrying about the other guy, you gain a lot by not having to save anything for an attack

The obsession with aero rain jackets is silly

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
bianchi revealed the climbing/lightweight frame that presumably GreenEdge will be using next year, and it's carbon black with "stealth" black decals instead of celeste. i am going to turn into the joker

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/oct/26/freeman-denies-trying-to-remove-laptop-as-tribunal-takes-bizarre-turn

Freeman trial is potentially going to get very interesting. They're about to discuss the testosterone levels of a tour de France winner that doubled and then went down again.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/oct/26/freeman-denies-trying-to-remove-laptop-as-tribunal-takes-bizarre-turn

Freeman trial is potentially going to get very interesting. They're about to discuss the testosterone levels of a tour de France winner that doubled and then went down again.

Has he remembered his password to the folder called 'Bradleys secret program police don't look'

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It doesn't say it's a TdF winner that got the testosterone

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

:hmmrona:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

bianchi revealed the climbing/lightweight frame that presumably GreenEdge will be using next year, and it's carbon black with "stealth" black decals instead of celeste. i am going to turn into the joker

Jumbo used these this year didn’t they? Something about not having the layer of pigmented paint saves a couple dozen grams. The most marginal of gains

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

colonel tom posted:

Jumbo used these this year didn’t they? Something about not having the layer of pigmented paint saves a couple dozen grams. The most marginal of gains

A celeste bike probably weighs 100-120g more than one that just has a UV clearcoat.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Celeste climbs faster because it is infused with the spirit of Fausto Coppi and Marco Pantani

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ah, the old "you can't blame me for this, I'm clearly insane!" play.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Today's parcours for the Vuelta look like what happens when I bother recording data for a 20 minute ride to a grocery store and back.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That is a huge breakaway.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's going to get crushed by a train, but it could be magical.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This looks a bit steep

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sepp looks like he’s out for a recovery ride while the other guy is rocking around like crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Looks painful.