Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Agrikk posted:

These stories sound like a thread in their own right.

Literally thats bog standard for any American factory pre mid 90's. Every place I've ever worked I've heard stories about beer kegs in parking lots and people doing coke in their cars at lunch and coming back with nosebleeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

I also got recruited to sneak toolboxes out of the plant at night once I got big enough to help carry them into the back of a truck.

Huh, I guess GM really wouldn't miss just one little piece after all.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

tight aspirations posted:

Hah.

When I say toolbox I mean like a big rolling snap-on style toolbox, not a little red one you can carry around.

The metal fabrication guys make them. Using the rollers, handles, metal, casters, etc from the tool crib. I think we have like 5 of them in my parents garage. Basically build one and take one home every other year. They also would build them for the other guys in the shop.

Then you have the heating and cooling guys make one of the cabinets into a fridge so you can keep your lunch (aka beers) cold while you work. Also when you take the toolbox home you fill it up with all the tools, batteries, flashlights, etc you can fit in it.

Growing up around here you could tell if someone's dad worked at the plant because they'd have a toolbox, those generic yellow flashlights, INDUSTRIAL batteries, yellow/red/blue plastic organizer boxes, etc.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

stevewm posted:

A couple years ago we done a complete gut and remodel of the offices at our flagship store location. The corporate office used to be located in those offices. During the tear down multiple 10Mbit hubs were found still plugged into power outlets that had been installed above the drop ceiling specifically for them. And in some cases still had Ethernet cables plugged in and snaking off into areas unknown. A bunch of abandoned CAT3 cabling, and even found some old coax with coax Ethernet taps! Also some thinner coax that I think was possibly for Token Ring.

A decade or so ago we decided to clean out the floor of old cabling. We filled up 3 dumpsters and probably pulled out miles of thicknet, thinnet, cat 3, really long LPR, SCSI, and oddball VAX/pdp11 cables that I don't even remember what they were anymore. Most were still hooked up to something, and a bunch of cat3 was actually active and being used and required replacement, but it was shocking the amount of cable we pulled up from a building built in 1986. It was like a history of networking and other cabling all thrown into dumpsters. Various random gear was also found.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

tight aspirations posted:

There were a lot of Cadillacs shipped in the 90s with the parking pawl in the transmission installed backwards. Ask me how I know this.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Source4Leko posted:

Literally thats bog standard for any American factory pre mid 90's. Every place I've ever worked I've heard stories about beer kegs in parking lots and people doing coke in their cars at lunch and coming back with nosebleeds.

The stories I heard about the 80s and 90s when I worked at TI were great. It was apparently a giant coke fueled orgy, with people hooking up in the server rows and chain-smoking in the hallways

stevewm
May 10, 2005

shortspecialbus posted:

A decade or so ago we decided to clean out the floor of old cabling. We filled up 3 dumpsters and probably pulled out miles of thicknet, thinnet, cat 3, really long LPR, SCSI, and oddball VAX/pdp11 cables that I don't even remember what they were anymore. Most were still hooked up to something, and a bunch of cat3 was actually active and being used and required replacement, but it was shocking the amount of cable we pulled up from a building built in 1986. It was like a history of networking and other cabling all thrown into dumpsters. Various random gear was also found.

Yeah... the building was built in 91. But had seen a lot of technology change outs and several remodels over the years. Since it was a complete gut this time, they just ripped it all out and started over. I'm surprised the drop ceiling hadn't collapsed given how much abandoned crap was sitting on it in places. Also, soooo many dead mice. The building is surrounded on 3 sides by a corn field (that's Indiana for ya), so it has always had a bad rodent problem.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

The stories I heard about the 80s and 90s when I worked at TI were great. It was apparently a giant coke fueled orgy, with people hooking up in the server rows and chain-smoking in the hallways

The university departmental data center I worked at in college was pretty much the same, minus chain smoking in hallways, and more booze than coke. Getting laid behind the network rack was pretty much a rite of passage.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

shortspecialbus posted:

The university departmental data center I worked at in college was pretty much the same, minus chain smoking in hallways, and more booze than coke. Getting laid behind the network rack was pretty much a rite of passage.

One of the girls I talked to told a story about how when they couldn't find a certain manager, they just assumed he was having a 3some at the park down the block again. Because they kept finding him there

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

One of the girls I talked to told a story about how when they couldn't find a certain manager, they just assumed he was having a 3some at the park down the block again. Because they kept finding him there

I think after the first time I found my boss at the park in that situation I'd probably stop going to the park to find them, unless my intent was to join in I guess.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

shortspecialbus posted:

I think after the first time I found my boss at the park in that situation I'd probably stop going to the park to find them, unless my intent was to join in I guess.

In my experience with fetching the boss when no one wants to the person being sent was not typically in a position to say no.

They are extremely clear that contractors don't have rights with them, and when I started as a sysadmin with them, it was made clear to me that anyone, including the lowest peon in TI, could successful demand i be let go for any reason, so odds are it was "interrupt the threeway to get this approved or you are fired"

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

In my experience with fetching the boss when no one wants to the person being sent was not typically in a position to say no.

They are extremely clear that contractors don't have rights with them, and when I started as a sysadmin with them, it was made clear to me that anyone, including the lowest peon in TI, could successful demand i be let go for any reason, so odds are it was "interrupt the threeway to get this approved or you are fired"

I think I would take up forgery at that point.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Bob Morales posted:

Hah.

When I say toolbox I mean like a big rolling snap-on style toolbox, not a little red one you can carry around.

The metal fabrication guys make them. Using the rollers, handles, metal, casters, etc from the tool crib. I think we have like 5 of them in my parents garage. Basically build one and take one home every other year. They also would build them for the other guys in the shop.

Then you have the heating and cooling guys make one of the cabinets into a fridge so you can keep your lunch (aka beers) cold while you work. Also when you take the toolbox home you fill it up with all the tools, batteries, flashlights, etc you can fit in it.

Growing up around here you could tell if someone's dad worked at the plant because they'd have a toolbox, those generic yellow flashlights, INDUSTRIAL batteries, yellow/red/blue plastic organizer boxes, etc.

We have one because it was sent home with my mom when she retired. They are so ridiculously heavy thanks to the sheet metal. I had to help unload it and with the tools it is hundreds of pounds. There were 4 of us and I thought we were going to die.

There was also someone at her plant that had a grow op going on between the walls. There were like 3-4’ between the inner and outer factory walls down he somehow managed to have a whole grow going there.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

CommieGIR posted:

Do we have a homelab thread outside the NAS thread?

You should check the subreddit, even though a lot of it is consumer show-off crap there's some good stuff on occasion.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Geemer posted:

I requested a new keyboard for one of our lab computers because I hosed up and poured cement into the old one.
They sent over their intern to pick out the cement until it worked again. He did a surprisingly good job of it, but I'm still going to buy a new one and expense it.

Do you think it was some sort of IT hazing ritual?
Sorry to go back like three pages but... Cement, or rubber cement?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

LethalGeek posted:

I work at a medium sized law firm so I wouldn't say they are saints as a whole but its definitely not the General Public. Except for the paralegals where 80% of them are horrible little dumb monsters for some reason I can't explain. At this point in time my coworkers largely aren't the types the thread likes to complain about and actually seem to know how to do their jobs. Since I work swing and now am distant no one really bothers me and never tried too hard to get all buddy buddy with me, which is awesome.

8 years ago I was about sick of talking to end users and begrudgingly started looking at my job's other depts for things I could go do that gets me away from users when life took a turn and I moved across the country. I figured I wouldn't be able to work remote as the business overall really didn't want anyone doing that but they made an exception so fast for me it made my head spin. Turns out it's a royal bitch to get someone to work 1600-0000 EST who isn't a dumbass that needs their hand held constantly I have since learned from ex managers. My hours make me more of an emergency call since things are still 9-5ish and a lot of could wait until morning but the things that can't really can't. So while I have to basically handle anything and everything I get faaaar fewer calls than working normal hours and spend most of my time screwing around or doing chores, and they are perfectly ok with that. I know this as during a meeting someone asked why Final Fantasy XIV showed up in the software inventory and the only response needed was my name before moving on.

Plus I'm on the west cost so I'm only working until 2100. Working until midnight was also grinding on me along with the users before moving addressed both well enough.

gently caress, dude, you are living the loving dream.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Knormal posted:

Sorry to go back like three pages but... Cement, or rubber cement?

Cement based liquid flow screed to be exact.

He got to it before it'd fully set, but it's still like wtf.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
This keyboard tastes like cement!

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

how do you properly figure out what's using processor time in windows. Task manager isn't adding up. Resource monitor isn't much better.

WSL2's htop can't see windows processes either since its in a VM now.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Run task manager as admin

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Woohoo old building nightmare stories!

I was working in a city setting up a wireless bridge that connected street lights to a controller and they wanted to see if they could reuse an existing antenna that was up on the roof.

So I popped a ceiling tile and started poking around. We found a 1500 watt Motorola radio system that had been plugged in running unused for close to 20 years. It had originally been used to communicate with the public works department from city hall before the widespread use of cell phones. I guess they just left it in place as a backup and then eventually they installed a drop ceiling under it and it sat unnoticed the whole time.

It'd be fun to see how much energy that thing used and ended up costing the city.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It'd be fun to see how much energy that thing used and ended up costing the city.

1,095 kilowatt-hours per month?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Depends on the rates where you live, obviously, but 1500 watts continuously for 20 years, assuming 15 cents/kWh would be close to $40,000.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Woohoo old building nightmare stories!

I was working in a city setting up a wireless bridge that connected street lights to a controller and they wanted to see if they could reuse an existing antenna that was up on the roof.

So I popped a ceiling tile and started poking around. We found a 1500 watt Motorola radio system that had been plugged in running unused for close to 20 years. It had originally been used to communicate with the public works department from city hall before the widespread use of cell phones. I guess they just left it in place as a backup and then eventually they installed a drop ceiling under it and it sat unnoticed the whole time.

is that the kind of system that is always radiating?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

is that the kind of system that is always radiating?

There really aren't any commercial voice 2-way radio systems like that. So no.

This is probably a bog standard old rear end motorola repeater (or multi-tenant base radio) that's been pulling down a couple hundred watts at idle to keep the tubes heated.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

gently caress, dude, you are living the loving dream.

Lol thanks, I definitely appreciate what I have. I get a little twitchy about making more money or actually accomplishing something occasionally but remind myself what going back to an office would mean for sooooo much of my life at this point. Doesn't seem worth it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Motronic posted:

There really aren't any commercial voice 2-way radio systems like that. So no.

This is probably a bog standard old rear end motorola repeater (or multi-tenant base radio) that's been pulling down a couple hundred watts at idle to keep the tubes heated.

I think this is the more likely scenario. I also found a mummified mouse next to it when I popped the ceiling tile.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hmm.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That's the opposite of a replacement mobo I once got from Apple. I was putting the new one into the machine and hit a snag at the sixth screw: nowhhere to put it, they hadn't drilled out the last screw hole. I RMAd the thing of course, a logic board that fails a visual inspection probably has something else wrong with it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Here are some more good ones:

https://imgur.com/gallery/gMV00Ec

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I have done this:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I've also done that to squeeze in a capture card

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
That's just the Blooming Onion of heatsinks

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I'm stoned atm, but wouldn't spreading the vanes like that actually increase the efficiency of the heat sink?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

I'm stoned atm, but wouldn't spreading the vanes like that actually increase the efficiency of the heat sink?

worked on your mom

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

The local Cadbury factory here had a night shift that was basically a half-dozen or so people spread through the place to basically make sure things did what they were supposed to overnight. One dude used to turn up at 10PM, wait an hour or so, then head over to the local pub. He'd drink until closing, come back across to the factory and sleep until just before six, when the morning shift would show up. Only got rumbled when one of the management happened to have their birthday party in that pub and he walked into it. Apparently he'd been pulling that trick for twenty five years :psyduck:

My friend works at the local car manufacturing place and we never used to see him because he got on the Friday/Saturday/Sunday shift because apparently he got a massive anti-social hours premium and he didn't care about his social life that much.

We only ever saw him on bank holidays and whenever we saw him he would always be like 'cant say too much walls have ears' in relation to his work but never ever let on to what was going on.

It all came out a few years down the line when a friend of a friend on the same shift got sacked. Apparently each weekend a gang of staff had devised their own rota where 1 person would go on shift and clock in for everyone as their job was just to presumably make sure the robots carried on working overnight etc.

My friend kept his job but lost the privilege of this highly paid shift pattern as he says he only did it once but the others were doing it every shift.

I'd say that seemed to be going on for at least a couple of years - albeit 12 years ago or so, so biometric clocking in wasn't a thing etc etc.

Not sure how they didn't get caught but heh, I guess not all that uncommon.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

angry armadillo posted:

Not sure how they didn't get caught but heh, I guess not all that uncommon.

If you have a passive role(monitoring the robits) and there is no one on shift whos job it is to keep you working, there is nothing that would get you caught. Nightshift workers tend to be a bit more close knit than day shift, so are less likely to screw each other

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

RFC2324 posted:

If you have a passive role(monitoring the robits) and there is no one on shift whos job it is to keep you working, there is nothing that would get you caught. Nightshift workers tend to be a bit more close knit than day shift, so are less likely to screw each other
Yeah, there's an understanding that if poo poo does go wrong you'll call everyone in before tipping off the boss too. When I was in the datacenter there was a rule about "always someone in the NOC" but on nights (or weekends really) if you needed to piss when the other guy had started his walkaround checks and was at least a ten minute walk away... you just ignored the rule. It wasn't uncommon to arrive for a morning shift to find guys barely waking up in their chairs.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
similar here but a little bit more strict - the night people have to stay at least a little bit compos mentis in case of any medical emergencies but we all know they basically just watch TV or go on the internet all night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, there's an understanding that if poo poo does go wrong you'll call everyone in before tipping off the boss too. When I was in the datacenter there was a rule about "always someone in the NOC" but on nights (or weekends really) if you needed to piss when the other guy had started his walkaround checks and was at least a ten minute walk away... you just ignored the rule. It wasn't uncommon to arrive for a morning shift to find guys barely waking up in their chairs.

We slept alot. Always someone active on case the place caught fire, but of the 3 of us one guy spend most of his shift MIA, one guy slept half his shift, and i mostly shitposted and played EVE.