Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

For ultrawides I had been looking at the Acer XV340CK Pbmiiipphzx, checks a lot of nice boxes, 34" 1440p 144hz IPS and a little under $500, but I'm not sure how I'd fit it into my setup. I already have a 27" 240hz monitor and my deskspace is only 48x30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I'm in the market for a general productivity 27" monitor. When I look on Amazon for the 27GL850-B which I've seen mentioned a few times in the last few pages, it brings me to a product page with both Nano-IPS and (regular?) IPS models. It looks like nano- is just color gamut - is that relevant at all to me, who fucks around on the internet, watches Netflix, and infrequently games?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
If you aren't interested in gaming, you're much better off buying a 4k monitor than a high refresh monitor. There are an absolute boatload of them, search 4k ips on amazon and you'll find a ton. Anything with decent reviews is going to make you happy.

The only downside is that when you do game, driving 4k in anything remotely modern is a beastly chore. What GPU do you have? Some nvidia and AMD GPUs give you the ability to run integer scaling, which can effectively make your monitor 1080p for the purposes of gaming.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Happiness Commando posted:

I'm in the market for a general productivity 27" monitor. When I look on Amazon for the 27GL850-B which I've seen mentioned a few times in the last few pages, it brings me to a product page with both Nano-IPS and (regular?) IPS models. It looks like nano- is just color gamut - is that relevant at all to me, who fucks around on the internet, watches Netflix, and infrequently games?

In looking at those monitors it seems like the main practical difference is the regular one being calibrated for sRGB coverage and the nano one being DCI-P3. From what I have gathered, outside some photo or video processing, you're probably better off with sRGB, especially for games. Neither monitor appears to have meaningful HDR, and otherwise they look comparable spec-wise. For your purposes the cheaper one looks like a better fit.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

K8.0 posted:

The only downside is that when you do game, driving 4k in anything remotely modern is a beastly chore. What GPU do you have? Some nvidia and AMD GPUs give you the ability to run integer scaling, which can effectively make your monitor 1080p for the purposes of gaming.

What about Integer Scaling makes it better than just lowering resolutions (in a full screened game)? Is there any costs/tradeoffs to it? Obviously per all the discussion in the thread 4k144hz displays still not a reality/available right now, but in the future having a 27" monitor that I can use at 4k for productivity and 1440p/1080p would be great for monitor longevity, and removes a small but maybe significant variable when choosing a monitor.

I only own a 1070 GTX so I can't try it out myself.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
people love to jerk off about integer scaling but it’s generally not better except for pixel-art style games

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Thirst Mutilator posted:

What about Integer Scaling makes it better than just lowering resolutions (in a full screened game)? Is there any costs/tradeoffs to it? Obviously per all the discussion in the thread 4k144hz displays still not a reality/available right now, but in the future having a 27" monitor that I can use at 4k for productivity and 1440p/1080p would be great for monitor longevity, and removes a small but maybe significant variable when choosing a monitor.

I only own a 1070 GTX so I can't try it out myself.

Every display will upscale the input to its native res (or display a tiny, letterboxed image), usually using a bilinear filter or somesuch that blurs edge colors together across the increased space, integer scaling doesn't do this, one red pixel input becomes four identical red pixel output, effectively turning a 4k display into a 1080p one where each pixel is 4x the size.

As Paul said though, I've never heard of anyone caring about this except for pixel art games where the filters make everything look weird.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Knot My President! posted:

Trip report: OLED is absolutely stunning. Burn-in be damned, this thing is just not even in the same ballpark as normal monitors :stare:

Real black compared to IPS Black or even VA black is a sight to behold. Even sticking with SDR/SRGB Colors, they just pop more when the contrast is literally infinitely improved.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Roumba posted:

Did you ever find a good adjustable wall mount for your CX?

I thought I found one I liked until I saw that it was four hundred loving dollars. There was a equally interesting wall+arm one that was about half of that, but I never expected those kinds of prices, so I haven't researched much further. Also, because all but the most high-end dealer's websites are garbage and don't let you filter by adjustable dimensions, etc.

Yeah! I went with this one

- slides left to right a good amount
- once you mount it on the wall, you can adjust the height of the screen by mounting the brackets to the TV in various holes
- tilts up/down/left/right

It's very sturdy and I'm happy with it for sure. I was initially worried about getting it fitted correctly but it ended up being really easy and exactly what I needed

The Big Bad Worf posted:

Real black compared to IPS Black or even VA black is a sight to behold. Even sticking with SDR/SRGB Colors, they just pop more when the contrast is literally infinitely improved.

Yeah, this is absolutely insane. I had no idea a monitor could look this good. It's also less expensive than LG's top 38" ultrawide :psyduck:

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
So for anyone else in Australia like myself looking at the CX48

"Current talk is that the display will make it in store before xmas at a reduced price. Approx 2200 - 2500 rrp. Off course discounting may occur after xmas. I've been advise the first allotment sold by LG direct hasn't exactly sold out lol.... crazy hey lol idiots"

In a actually store and not having to do a direct bank transfer is a hell of a step up flrm what they tried to do

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Well after a month my 83A is finally shipping, I see from the tracking number that it reached my city but instead of being on truck for delivery it says this : "Shipment may be delayed due to packaging issue"

This feels like a badly damaged box...

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Hemish posted:

Well after a month my 83A is finally shipping, I see from the tracking number that it reached my city but instead of being on truck for delivery it says this : "Shipment may be delayed due to packaging issue"

This feels like a badly damaged box...

I noticed that it is one of the items on Amazon you cannot order "hidden," so I assume they're just shipping it in the box it came in. Which I'd be fine with from a packaging waste perspective, but all it takes is one sharp corner, or an intense rainstorm, to completely gently caress it up. Not to mention a box saying BIG MONITOR getting stolen off the porch, but that's why I obsessively refresh the delivery tracker.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

I noticed that it is one of the items on Amazon you cannot order "hidden," so I assume they're just shipping it in the box it came in. Which I'd be fine with from a packaging waste perspective, but all it takes is one sharp corner, or an intense rainstorm, to completely gently caress it up. Not to mention a box saying BIG MONITOR getting stolen off the porch, but that's why I obsessively refresh the delivery tracker.

It got delivered at my parents' home. I was afraid they'd leave it at the door all day at my home.

My parents are saying the box is extremely dirty and humid on one side... I'll pick it up a bit later at lunch... I guess I'll take pictures and poo poo before unboxing.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, my 83A arrived in the retail box with a shipping label on the side. The amazon guy dropping it off actually set it down nicely on the porch, carefully turned it to find the barcode, and patted it when he was done. :3:

I yelled a thank you and have a nice day from a safe social distance, then found the "rate our delivery" and gave that man five stars. Given my recent (poo poo) luck with FedEx, I'm going to be really thankful when someone's actually paying attention.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
I nabbed two 83A's off Amazon Warehouse when they were up as "Used - Acceptable" for $260 the other day. They claim to ship in retail packaging, so I'm going to be real interested in seeing what they actually look like when they show up.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I was browsing monitors today on amazon and I saw something called a Viewsonic vx2768 that is apparently 1440p and 144hz for like 330$ Canadian, which seems like an insane deal.

Some googling leads me to see that it’s a VA monitor so maybe that’s why it’s so cheap? I’m an idiot that knows nothing about monitors, is this a great deal or is there a reason this monitor seems to be ~200 dollars cheaper than comparables?

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Alarbus posted:

Yeah, my 83A arrived in the retail box with a shipping label on the side. The amazon guy dropping it off actually set it down nicely on the porch, carefully turned it to find the barcode, and patted it when he was done. :3:

I yelled a thank you and have a nice day from a safe social distance, then found the "rate our delivery" and gave that man five stars. Given my recent (poo poo) luck with FedEx, I'm going to be really thankful when someone's actually paying attention.

Yes, it was the retail box for me too. The underside is all wet but the styrofoam seems ok.. the screen too. Of course the underside is where the screen is sitting with the panel facing down. I'm working so I'll only be able to check it this evening. Hopefully it's not broken. Water damage seems ok but the whole underside of the box,being this wet, is super flimsy so I'm afraid it put pression on the panel (torsion? Not sure how to say that in English).

Will report back later!

Edit :

Hemish fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 26, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

A Typical Goon posted:

I was browsing monitors today on amazon and I saw something called a Viewsonic vx2768 that is apparently 1440p and 144hz for like 330$ Canadian, which seems like an insane deal.

Some googling leads me to see that it’s a VA monitor so maybe that’s why it’s so cheap? I’m an idiot that knows nothing about monitors, is this a great deal or is there a reason this monitor seems to be ~200 dollars cheaper than comparables?

VA high refresh monitors are cheaper for a reason. While VA has significantly superior optimal contrast, it has contrast shifting when you get off-angle, which kinda sucks. Aside from a few very new and expensive VA panels, it's also not competitive on response times. While good 144hz IPS monitors are able to change pixels in 1/100th to 1/150th of a second, VA has significantly slower transitions. Dark transitions are generally barely 1/30th of a second. That said, in a year where 1440p high refresh IPS prices have gone up a bit and stayed static, we've actually seen the prices on VA monitors drop so dramatically in some cases that if you're on a super, super tight budget and need to buy something now, I really can't say definitely don't buy them anymore.

I still don't favor buying them because your monitor is the one part of your PC you're always using and it will generally outlast 2 or 3 of everything else, if $260 is all you can spend, you want a higher refresh monitor right now, and Amazon CA has good return policies on that type of item, why not do it? I would also price check the VX2758-2kp-mhd, that is a budget high refresh IPS monitor that can be a solid deal sometimes.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Welp, bad news.

My 27gl83a looks defective. Windows detects it and I can see the backlight starts as the black is like black on LCD where it's not really and you know it's on... Windows detects it, sees the correct resolution and if I move my mouse on that screen and back and really did it but the screen stays black.

No message anywhere and the nipple at the bottom will not bring any options/menu. It will only turn it off or on. Even without the monitor plugged to the the video card, I can turn it on/off but no menu will show up...

gently caress.

Edit : The nipple works because when I use the brightness ones (up/down) I actually see the backlight going up or down in intensity.

Hemish fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 26, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

That really sucks. As much as it's going to be a pain, I'd say get the return going ASAP so you can get a working one ASAP. gently caress knows when that will be with Canada... everything :(

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

K8.0 posted:

That really sucks. As much as it's going to be a pain, I'd say get the return going ASAP so you can get a working one ASAP. gently caress knows when that will be with Canada... everything :(

Yes with how long it took, I'll probably ask for a refund and say bye bye to the monitor project until I get a RTX 3080 in 2021.

EDIT : Refund it is, it's not even giving me an option to ask for replacements.

Hemish fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 26, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I did not know that the little switch on the bottom was called a nipple. I'm not sure how I feel about this new information

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I did not know that the little switch on the bottom was called a nipple. I'm not sure how I feel about this new information

The right term is probably something like joystick but it feels suppler than those little red knob (mouse) in the middle of a laptop's keyboard. So nipple felt like the right call.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Also known as a clitmouse. Click this link every time you need to change settings for ease of use.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Hemish posted:

The right term is probably something like joystick but it feels suppler than those little red knob (mouse) in the middle of a laptop's keyboard. So nipple felt like the right call.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

at least you know your monitor is having a good time whenever you need to switch inputs

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

My 83A arrived too! It’s so loving gorgeous I’m about to orgasm in my pants...

Doom Eternal is like a whole new game! Why the hell did I wait this long.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Yeah... I didn't want to say it's like the clit mouse but a bit longer so I went with nipple... I guess there's worse things said daily on this forum.

They couldn't exchange the item and I can't order it since it's out of stock so gently caress all that poo poo. They also want to return it via Canada Post so on top of all that, I need to go there when it's open like 3 minutes in the mornings and 7 minutes in the afternoon. One month of anticipation for nothing and I can't even get in queue to get a replacement.

Even the feel good plans don't work in 2020.

Cartoon Man posted:

My 83A arrived too! It’s so loving gorgeous I’m about to orgasm in my pants...

Doom Eternal is like a whole new game! Why the hell did I wait this long.

Good for you but I hate you so much now...

Hemish fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 26, 2020

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXI21S4ZWJU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Hemish posted:

Yeah... I didn't want to say it's like the clit mouse but a bit longer so I went with nipple... I guess there's worse things said daily on this forum.

They couldn't exchange the item and I can't order it since it's out of stock so gently caress all that poo poo. They also want to return it via Canada Post so on top of all that, I need to go there when it's open like 3 minutes in the mornings and 7 minutes in the afternoon. One month of anticipation for nothing and I can't even get in queue to get a replacement.

Even the feel good plans don't work in 2020.

Good for you but I hate you so much now...
I think as long as it's not the other c word you're pretty safe for now.

At least you got something, I'm still looking at my order status with no ETA. I'm kind of hoping the 4K 144hz AOU monitor makes it to production before I receive it, by this point.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

I think as long as it's not the other c word you're pretty safe for now.

At least you got something, I'm still looking at my order status with no ETA. I'm kind of hoping the 4K 144hz AOU monitor makes it to production before I receive it, by this point.

To be honest I would prefer still being in limbo than getting one after a month, it's DOA and I have absolutely no way of trying a second time. You can't back order on Amazon.ca, not sure how I could back in September. I could have refused the refund via Amazon and tried to go through warranty with LG but gently caress that, it's brand new.

I currently have no way in Canada (that I know of) to attempt to get a new one. The only options I see are :

1. gently caress off with the idea of buying some happiness with a nice monitor and go back under my rock
2. Buy something else than the LG 27GL83A-B...

On that front... What do people willing to pay for the LG 27GL83A-B end up buying when they can't or want something a little bit bigger? The LG 27GL83A-B being 499.99$Cnd, I could go higher if the suggestion is bigger of course.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Professor Funk posted:

So I was recently looking for an ultrawide monitor that could do 144Hz for gaming purposes in the realm of $750 (I have a home office stipend at my new job in that amount so didn't want to stray too far above that). I ended up springing for the LG 34GK950F-B for $795, down from $1200 or whatever. It seems to be a model from 2019 but it checked all my boxes and came from a brand I really trust (I have bought non-curved ultrawides from LG before and liked them)--most of the youtube reviews I watched about it were very positive too.

Doing some research after the fact, I saw that the LG 34GP83A-B on Amazon is only at $850, and appears to be a newer model with better customer reviews. Similar specs otherwise it seems. Though going $100 over the stipend budget would not be ideal.

I've been away from home this past week and haven't actually opened the 34GK950F-B yet and could easily return it--do you all think I steered myself wrong springing for it? Worth noting I am not a monitor junkie at all, so it may very well be the case that I won't notice any actual difference between the two monitors.

Quickly bumping this. I decided to return and upgrade to the 34GP83A-B. Seems like the 83A ultrawide has basically the same specs as the 34GN850-B, i.e., the successor to the 34GK950F-B I bought. I'll update with my thoughts when I set it up on Wednesday.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 27, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Hemish posted:

To be honest I would prefer still being in limbo than getting one after a month, it's DOA and I have absolutely no way of trying a second time. You can't back order on Amazon.ca, not sure how I could back in September. I could have refused the refund via Amazon and tried to go through warranty with LG but gently caress that, it's brand new.

I currently have no way in Canada (that I know of) to attempt to get a new one. The only options I see are :

1. gently caress off with the idea of buying some happiness with a nice monitor and go back under my rock
2. Buy something else than the LG 27GL83A-B...

On that front... What do people willing to pay for the LG 27GL83A-B end up buying when they can't or want something a little bit bigger? The LG 27GL83A-B being 499.99$Cnd, I could go higher if the suggestion is bigger of course.

The Nixeus EDG was a frequent recommendation in the thread a couple months ago, at least for 27" 1440p.

I'm not sure what stock is like in Canada at all, and the pricing seems significantly out of whack from US pricing. Acer makes some good monitors, but they might have the worst naming conventions in tech right now.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

You could see if the Dell S2721DGF is available, it's the same LG panel. I think Gigabyte has a monitor allegedly based on it too but I can't remember the name. Stepping up would be difficult, unless you want to wait for 3-6 months to see how the 4k 144hz market starts to shake out and if there are any decent value buys there. Your best bet is probably to step down to one of the Innolux or AUO panel monitors. I think a few CAD goons have found decent deals on the viewsonic vx2758-2kp-mhd. In the US it can sometimes be found for $300 to the 27GL83A's $380, and that's definitely a good deal even though the performance is a bit lower. There are a bunch of other monitors that are reasonable options, outside the US it generally works best if you tell us what 27" 1440p 144hz IPS monitors are available at what prices and we tell you which ones are worth considering.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Y27q-20 also uses that same LG panel. No clue what CAD pricing is but I have two and it's great.

We need that list of products with the LG panel on auto-reply.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Scarecow posted:

So for anyone else in Australia like myself looking at the CX48

"Current talk is that the display will make it in store before xmas at a reduced price. Approx 2200 - 2500 rrp. Off course discounting may occur after xmas. I've been advise the first allotment sold by LG direct hasn't exactly sold out lol.... crazy hey lol idiots"

In a actually store and not having to do a direct bank transfer is a hell of a step up flrm what they tried to do

Praise be. Now to just find an ergotron HX for a decent price, and probably get the biggest desk-top that my standing motors can lift. Does anyone know if it's easy to fit two ergotron arms? I'm currently using an Ergotron LX Dual for two 27" and I'd like to have them next to the CX48 on an Ergotron HX

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 27, 2020

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Also fyi the vesa mount on the cx48 is 300mm by 200mm so make sure your arm can mount it or that your able to make a adaptor plate

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

hello thread!

I'm in need of suggestions for the purchase of a new monitor. Use case is almost exclusively gaming. I currently have a 32" IPS 1440p 60Hz screen (BenQ PD3200Q) and I'm pretty satisfied with it, but I'm considering an upgrade to a RTX3080 whenever that will actually be humanly possible, so I'm looking at something that can take advantage of that kind of power.

I usually play more slow-paced games and I never tried refresh rates higher than 60Hz but I kinda want to for the few action games I play, and my eyesight isn't what it used to be so 32" 1440p has good pixel density for me, I have seen a 32" 4K and everything was a bit too small for my liking, nevermind a 27". I do like map games like Civ6, CK3, etc so more screen real estate would be appreciated, as long as I can actually see things and read text onscreen (how's scaling these days? It used to be a big mess in most games/programs a few years ago)

With that in mind, I guess I'm looking for a monitor that is :

- either 1440p, 1440p ultrawide, or 4K
- high refresh, 120hz would be OK I guess?, IPS panel (optional: with G-sync)
- between 32" and 38"
- has good image quality and color accuracy, not necessarily 100%sRGB or such since I don't do photo editing, but you know what I mean
- doesn't cost a fortune, ideally under 800€ but I can stretch that to 1000€ if need be
- available in EU

any suggestions or other things I should be looking for? Thanks in advance :)

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
🎶27GL850 or 27GL83-A🎶

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

🎶27GL850 or 27GL83-A🎶

nice but they're both 27" only :smith: I have a 27" 1440p in the office and while it's a good size/resolution combo for work, I prefer larger screens for gaming to feel more immersed

is there a 32" or maybe 34/38" ultrawide option? I see these two: LG 34GN850 and 34GK950F, both ultrawide QHD 34", but they're like ... double the price of the 27" ones so a little crazy.

At this point does it make sense to still go 1440p, normal or wide? With the new 3000 series and DLSS it seems 4K is finally something that can reasonably be done...