Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Honestly between +10 and +20% against last generations $1000 flagship overclocked seems like a good result for ampere's penultimate sku?

I mean upgrading a $1000 flagship one generation later is always gonna be abysmal value and probably not worth it unless you are silly wealthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

VorpalFish posted:

Honestly between +10 and +20% against last generations $1000 flagship overclocked seems like a good result for ampere's penultimate sku?

I mean upgrading a $1000 flagship one generation later is always gonna be abysmal value and probably not worth it unless you are silly wealthy.

Or wanna use HDMI 2.1
Why didn’t Turing have HDMI 2.1 :argh:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Animal posted:

Or wanna use HDMI 2.1
Why didn’t Turing have HDMI 2.1 :argh:

Because there were no monitors that had HDMI 2.1! :flashfact:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
My vague understanding of the HDMI 2.1 situation on Turing was that the feature just didn't make taping at the time.

Which is unfortunate BUT given how insanely hosed up products are that pre-supported HDMI 2.1, they probably dodged a bullet.

For example the Denon receivers that were supposedly HDMI 2.1 certified, and sold through this year, but actually DON'T support it because the chip just doesn't do it right? lol. I guess that's what you get when you try to build in a new, finicky standard super early.

Inept posted:

We get it man, you bought the 3090 because you can piss away money and not care. Most people don't give a poo poo about the 3090 because it's the Titan of this generation.

I'm sorry friend that wasn't my intention. I think a lot of people view overall generation over generation performance as interesting, at least, if you're into the tech itself like a lot of people who have been posting in this thread all year about Ampere.

It's also 100% completely NOT the Titan but that's another discussion lol

Taima fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 26, 2020

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Taima posted:

It's an intrinsically privileged position to go "I am viewing this product vs. all products no matter the price" even if it is intellectually interesting imo.

We get it man, you bought the 3090 because you can piss away money and not care. Most people don't give a poo poo about the 3090 because it's the Titan of this generation.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Talk about value engineering doesn’t make any sense when they’re not able to fulfil demand for their higher end cards.

There’s a tendency here for people to back engineer why a company’s business decisions, especially the incumbent’s, are good actually. Nvidia’s hardware is good but they’ve definitely made mistakes on the business end. I recall people spent quite a lot of time prior to the Ampere launch arguing why Turing’s high prices were actually good for the company - and hey, look at that, Jensen drastically lowers prices and invites the Pascal holdouts to upgrade.

It seems like Nvidia either profoundly hosed up on the demand or supply forecasting and are leaving a lot of the money on the table right now.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

People who should buy a 3090:

* those who make income which relies on software that can benefit from the large amount of vram
* hobbyists with similar workflows to the above who are wealthy enough to afford spending $1500 on a hobby without incurring meaningful hardship
* people with so much money that they literally won't notice a $1500 expenditure and place a high value on saying they have the best thing available

I'm sure the there are plenty of people in category 3 who already have 2080 tis and will upgrade to 3090s, but for the most part how much faster almost doesn't matter; just that it is.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

shrike82 posted:

Talk about value engineering doesn’t make any sense when they’re not able to fulfil demand for their higher end cards.

There’s a tendency here for people to back engineer why a company’s business decisions, especially the incumbent’s, are good actually. Nvidia’s hardware is good but they’ve definitely made mistakes on the business end. I recall people spent quite a lot of time prior to the Ampere launch arguing why Turing’s high prices were actually good for the company - and hey, look at that, Jensen drastically lowers prices and invites the Pascal holdouts to upgrade.

It seems like Nvidia either profoundly hosed up on the demand or supply forecasting and are leaving a lot of the money on the table right now.

Literally no one here has argued that NVidia made all the right calls and has a perfect business plan and we're just too dumb to see it.

The 2080 was $700, the 3080 is $700, the 2080 Ti was $1200 while the Titan was $2500 and the 3090 is $1500. So they haven't lowered prices--they just didn't increase the xx80 price and the 3090...uhh...is kinda a mix between the double-VRAM Titan and the hobbled compute of the 2080 Ti, so it's somewhere in the middle? No one knows wtf with the 3090, but they're still selling out so apparently there's enough demand for them.

People are arguing whether it's a supply or demand problem, but in either case it's abundantly clear to everyone--NVidia included--that they could be raking in even more cash if they had actual product to sell right now. There is zero chance that "lol go for two months with anemic card supply while hordes of potential customers try to mob-rush our supply" was how they'd planned for it to go. But that doesn't change the value proposition of the 3080 unless you're impatient enough to buy from scalpers, in which case yeah the value ain't great and you might as well look at picking up a used 2080 Ti for $800.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

shrike82 posted:

Even if you did forecast the amount of demand occuring right now there is gently caress all you could have done about it. What are you going to do, pay Samsung or tsmc enough to literally build a new fab?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

VorpalFish posted:

Even if you did forecast the amount of demand occuring right now there is gently caress all you could have done about it. What are you going to do, pay Samsung or tsmc enough to literally build a new fab?

Use your new money from selling direct on ebay (lol MSI) to build a time machine and out-bid Apple for more TSMC space, yeah.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Price it higher?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

VorpalFish posted:

complain to the manager of semiconductors that the yields aren't high enough, i'm sure if the whining's loud enough physics will relent

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

shrike82 posted:

Price it higher?

That seems like a terrible idea for me, personally

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

shrike82 posted:

Price it higher?

Honestly they probably should have (from a business standpoint). People would probably still be swarming to buy these at 800 or even 900.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That would leave AMD too much space to operate in.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Maybe. AMD might react by increasing their planned price point as well - all they need to do is undercut nvidia by enough.

If they don't, well, you have room for a price cut.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Higher prices would have been shortsighted. For the most part people aren't mad at Nvidia, and even among those who are, very few of them are going to go spite-buy an AMD GPU. If they'd priced high and then cut to compete with AMD, they would wind up taking a PR hit like AMD did, for what? Maybe a few million in revenue? Not worth it.

The Switch was widely unavailable for how many months after launch? And did that hurt Nintendo at all, or did it just build more hype? I think Nvidia is in a great position right now, especially if CP2077 turns out to be an RTX + DLSS killer app.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The console analogy is dumb because the consoles are priced near or at cost to sell software. And Nintendo is selling the Switch or minor revisions of it for a long period of time.

Nvidia doesn’t get any revenue post hardware sale and they iterate on hardware annually.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The 3080 is priced to fight their real competition: the subsidized consoles.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

K8.0 posted:

Higher prices would have been shortsighted. For the most part people aren't mad at Nvidia, and even among those who are, very few of them are going to go spite-buy an AMD GPU. If they'd priced high and then cut to compete with AMD, they would wind up taking a PR hit like AMD did, for what? Maybe a few million in revenue? Not worth it.

The Switch was widely unavailable for how many months after launch? And did that hurt Nintendo at all, or did it just build more hype? I think Nvidia is in a great position right now, especially if CP2077 turns out to be an RTX + DLSS killer app.

General PSA: Speaking of DLSS2 and RTX, Ghostrunner is out tonight (or tomorrow? Not super sure) and has both!!

e: and it is $19.67 at GMG: https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/ghostrunner-pc/

Taima fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 26, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

shrike82 posted:

The console analogy is dumb because the consoles are priced near or at cost to sell software. And Nintendo is selling the Switch or minor revisions of it for a long period of time.

Nvidia doesn’t get any revenue post hardware sale and they iterate on hardware annually.

The point is that Nintendo could easily have tacked on $100 to the Switch's price, still sold out for months, and made even more money. But they didn't, because they had PR aspects to consider.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

no because their long term interest is selling software.
i'm a bit surprised how invested people get in defending companies doing dumb things.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

DrDork posted:

The point is that Nintendo could easily have tacked on $100 to the Switch's price, still sold out for months, and made even more money. But they didn't, because they had PR aspects to consider.

this is exactly what nvidia has done in the past

https://venturebeat.com/2018/08/23/you-can-get-an-rtx-2080-ti-graphics-card-for-999-but-youll-have-to-wait/

i think the 2080ti used market is showing ~800 was probably a better price for this level of performance at launch & relative to the 3090 as well, once supply is flush the pricing agreements are not nearly as strict as apple, the cutthroat market will drop your prices for you toward $700

shrike82 posted:

i'm a bit surprised how invested people get in defending companies doing dumb things.

also nintendo was coming off a failure of a console not the undisputed market leader who enjoyed almost an entire generation & a half of inflated pricing, low competition, and constant victory laps.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol Watch Dog Legions hits sub-60 frame-rate on 4K with a 10900K + 3090 with ultra settings, ultra RTX and "quality" DLSS.
you need to use a lower DLSS setting to hit higher.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

shrike82 posted:

If they're selling out either way, then they're not reducing their long term interests in selling software, now are they? Same number of people have the consoles in-hand. They could have priced it at $400, and once sales started slowing when they ran out of people willing to pay that much, dropped it to $300, repeat.

But they intentionally didn't do that because they didn't want a launch prince point that was higher than a PS4 given the weakness that the Wii U saw. But it's hard to know pre-emptively how well new tech like that will sell, whereas in retrospect it's easy to note they could have priced it higher.

Not really sure what dumb thing you think is being defended here?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
So I put in a 700w power supply just in case in preperation for the 3080. The MSI Gaming X Trio has three 8 pin connections, but the psu comes with two that each has a daisy chained 8 pin on them. Using one of those for the third connector should be fine right?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
gently caress yeah they issued a tracking number we're cooking now. Just gotta get a 5900x and I'm good to go for a couple years

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dafte posted:

Check your emails if you signed up for EVGA auto-notifies when the 3080 is in stock. I received a notice and the order was processed.

if you go to here https://www.evga.com/community/myNotifies.asp what does it say for the date and time you signed up?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shrike82 posted:

lol Watch Dog Legions hits sub-60 frame-rate on 4K with a 10900K + 3090 with ultra settings, ultra RTX and "quality" DLSS.

Finally a use case for RTX 3090 SLI!

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

DrDork posted:

It's out of stock, but you can still buy it now and it'll ship when they get stock back in early Nov. Or is it some weird bit where you can't use gift card credit (which is where refund money goes unless you specify otherwise) to order not-immediately-in-stock items?

Back in September, I was able to order at 499.99$ from Amazon.ca and it took one month to get a shipping confirmation. I got it today and it's DOA.

After I ordered in September, I never saw it again as purchasable beside with third party using Amazon.ca so at 700$+ instead of 499.99$. Even today I don't see an option to order it even though it's back ordered. I think they only allow a small amount of back orders and then they remove the button to buy.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

shrike82 posted:

ubisoft.txt

there's 3 quality levels for raytracing though so it might be one of those cases where max is overkill

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

shrike82 posted:

Price it higher?

VorpalFish posted:

Honestly they probably should have (from a business standpoint). People would probably still be swarming to buy these at 800 or even 900.

:guillotine:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-specifications-confirmed-by-gpu-z-validation

3060ti specs spotted - it's an 80% cutdown compared to the nearly maxed config of the 3070, basically the same ratios as the 3080 and 3090

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
lol @ anybody that buys/plays the latest Ubisoft aids

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I got the game free, so why not try it? The city looks amazing anyway.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

RTX feels like one of those "only use if you're at your FPS cap anyways" kinda things... DLSS on the other hand!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

b0ner of doom posted:

lol @ anybody that buys/plays the latest Ubisoft aids
been a while since ive seen an epic aids lol post

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Romes128 posted:

So I put in a 700w power supply just in case in preperation for the 3080. The MSI Gaming X Trio has three 8 pin connections, but the psu comes with two that each has a daisy chained 8 pin on them. Using one of those for the third connector should be fine right?

Your “just in case” is lower then what Nvidia recommends? Also thats a 3 plug card its going to suck probably down even more power.

I think ITT people had issues using the daisy chain cables but that might have been for 2 plug cards running off a single cable.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

spunkshui posted:

Your “just in case” is lower then what Nvidia recommends? Also thats a 3 plug card its going to suck probably down even more power.

I think ITT people had issues using the daisy chain cables but that might have been for 2 plug cards running off a single cable.

I'm not paying out the rear end for a 750w SFX psu. A 3080 has been tested and works just fine with a 600w. I'm running a stock 3700x so it'll be enough.

I'll have to wait and see when the card arrives if there's any issues. Worst case I'll order an additional cable I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Romes128 posted:

I'm not paying out the rear end for a 750w SFX psu. A 3080 has been tested and works just fine with a 600w. I'm running a stock 3700x so it'll be enough.

I'll have to wait and see when the card arrives if there's any issues. Worst case I'll order an additional cable I guess.

Yeah if you don't cpu overclock then its totally safe. Still thought it was funny that your "just to be safe" was lower then Nvidia's but I get it.

Seems like most of the people with the cable problem are using a single cable on a dual plug card.