Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Oculus as a brand is going away anyway. Facebook cares only insofar as they can collect and sell data and control that ecosystem front to back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

EbolaIvory posted:

Steam
Epic Game Store
Microsoft Game Store (Hi, you can get your live account banned and you could lose your windows licenses too!)
Humble Bundle.
etc etc etc

They all have a ToS. They all can be broken. You can lose your accounts from those services. You can also close said accounts and lose access. Yes, Some of them are going to require extreme examples, but also lets remember the "closing account" part. Console Hardware ID bans? Remember that poo poo? I can go on forever tbh.

If you want to continue to miss the point to be angry at facebook, go ahead. But like, "losing access to digital poo poo when you close your account" isn't new. Facebook IS the new oculus. We may not like it, but thats how it is. And if you close your facebook account, you close your oculus account.

If you wanna be mad about the oculus/facebook combine thing, Cool. But if you closed your oculus account or "got banned' for poo poo pre merge it was the same deal. Bitch about the right thing. And if in fact you ARE mad about that. Maybe look into the agreements of every other service you bought games and poo poo through.

Lol I have been ragged on in this thread multiple times for “defending” Facebook because I honestly don’t think the merge is that big of a deal, and I wouldn’t really care that much about linking my FB account to my rift (I haven’t done it cause why would I if I don’t have to)

But now I guess I am raging against Facebook because I think them not offering even the most basic level of security when it comes to purchases is extremely off putting.

If you think Steam, windows, PSN etc. having a TOS is even remotely comparable to Facebook randomly banning accounts and deleting purchases, you are wrong. I’d challenge you to dig up reports of peoples poo poo being randomly being deleted with no recourse over the last decade, across all of those services combined, in numbers that even come close to what we have seen in just a few weeks with the Quest 2.

With any of those services your purchases are relatively secure and if you lose them it’s likely due to some extreme example.

I even gave FB the benefit of the doubt in that it think these bans were in error and they are trying to fix it. But nothing about how this has been handled is “normal” or comparable to existing services.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

GutBomb posted:

I made some breakthroughs with Oculus Link this morning that give me enough clarity to use x-plane and get ASW so it’s smooth.

The encode resolution width is really weird. Not all resolutions actually make a visual difference. 3664 (the native resolution of the quest 2) doesn’t seem to do anything, but messing with a bunch of different values I settled on 3200, which makes things much clearer. 500mbps bitrate was causing too much latency so I knocked that down to 200 and I can’t see a difference. I set the curvature to low (which puts more pixel density in the middle of the lens) I put supersampling up to 1.3 and that 1.3/3200/200/low seems to be the sweet spot for me.

It still isn’t as clear as Virtual Desktop but for things that need ASW to remain smooth this is officially GoodEnough(tm) for me.

I’m using a generic 16 foot usb-a to right-angle usb-c cable I picked up for $25 on amazon. It is a USB 3.0 cable plugged into a usb 3.1 port.

What gpu/cpu are you running? I tried it for the first time and it was a blurry mess, so I need to start tweaking. I haven't done much with the quest 2 and link yet to see how it goes on my system. Will give your settings a try as a starting point. I appreciate the info!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

EbolaIvory posted:

They all have a ToS. They all can be broken. You can lose your accounts from those services. You can also close said accounts and lose access. Yes, Some of them are going to require extreme examples, but also lets remember the "closing account" part. Console Hardware ID bans? Remember that poo poo? I can go on forever tbh.

How many of those services remove your access to whatever you've purchased if you're banned? Hardware bans usually remove the ability to play online, but don't restrict your ability to purchase things from the online storefront and accessing any of your titles.

Also how many of those services are tied to a social media platform that can ban you for a plethora of reasons via AI bots?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

AzureSkys posted:

What gpu/cpu are you running? I tried it for the first time and it was a blurry mess, so I need to start tweaking. I haven't done much with the quest 2 and link yet to see how it goes on my system. Will give your settings a try as a starting point. I appreciate the info!

9900k/2080(non-super, non-ti)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

D1E posted:

Hey Subjunctive: I know you and Zuck are boys and all that but can you maybe tell him to pull his head out of his rear end regarding this whole Oculus/Facebook thing and let people actually you know... keep the games and apps they purchase?

If pressed, I’m sure he knows my thoughts on the matter. I think banning from the online services is fine, though, if people are abusive. Don’t gently caress around, don’t find out.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

veni veni veni posted:

This is really not the same thing, because getting banned from twitter and losing the ability to tweet is not linked to a bunch of digital purchases, likely amounting to hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Like afaik if you get banned from PSN or Steam or whatever, there's nothing stopping you from using your purchases but you just can't play online, and to top it off if you get banned from any of those services it's likely because you hosed up, and were warned multiple times. Not a coin flip.

You absolutely lose access to play your steam/PSN games if you get banned. Those services have different level of bans though, like community/VAC banning which still give you access to games. But I knew someone who got his account banned from Steam for unknown reasons. It took a while to get it back but while it was banned he couldn't play ANYTHING that required the platform.

Apparently, same with PSN: https://www.quora.com/What-happens-to-my-games-when-I-get-banned-on-PS4

FB needs to better cook this ecosystem for sure, but every platform has a method to lock you out of your games if you get banned.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lockback posted:

You absolutely lose access to play your steam/PSN games if you get banned. Those services have different level of bans though, like community/VAC banning which still give you access to games. But I knew someone who got his account banned from Steam for unknown reasons. It took a while to get it back but while it was banned he couldn't play ANYTHING that required the platform.

Apparently, same with PSN: https://www.quora.com/What-happens-to-my-games-when-I-get-banned-on-PS4

FB needs to better cook this ecosystem for sure, but every platform has a method to lock you out of your games if you get banned.

Still not the same thing though; Those measures aren't the default method of punishment, they're for extreme cases. Facebook just goes from zero to :fuckoff: because they merely Oculus purchase licenses onto the Facebook account, and there are no minor punishments for dealing with a dodgy Facebook account.

Google's got this problem as well, because you can get banned for a Youtube comment and lose your whole Google account. Which can be pretty loving destructive to your entire life if G-Mail's your primary email account.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Neddy Seagoon posted:

there are no minor punishments for dealing with a dodgy Facebook account.

there are things that can be done to an FB account other than permanent banning

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

EbolaIvory posted:

They feel like airsoft guns. They do damage, but they honestly feel "Meh" to shoot. If it was my first shooty mcshoot VR experience fine, but its not. Budget games have a better "gun feel" when it comes to pulling the trigger.

So to repeat this. Its not that they don't do in game damage. Its that they feel like toys being fired. Not guns with lethal pew pew bangs.

Can you give some examples? Maybe people want to know about these powerful pew pew games. I am being serious. Just saying "budget games" is a pointless statement, unless that is the name of the game.
It's all subjective though, just like everything else immersion related in vr. It's different from one person to another. The guns in Alyx mainly get their power from the low end, but something like boneworks mainly gets it's power from the gainy mids. It just depends on the person's audio perception which one conveys more power. For me personally, the lower frequency and the knockback of the shotgun in Alyx feels more powerful. Doom 3, on the other hand, feels like toy guns to everyone.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Happyimp posted:

Can you give some examples? Maybe people want to know about these powerful pew pew games. I am being serious. Just saying "budget games" is a pointless statement, unless that is the name of the game. Then I'm sorry.
It's all subjective though, just like everything else immersion related in vr. It's different from one person to another. The guns in Alyx mainly get their power from the low end, but something like boneworks mainly gets it's power from the gainy mids. It just depends on the person's audio perception which one conveys more power. For me personally, the lower frequency and the knockback of the shotgun in Alyx feels more powerful. Doom 3, on the other hand, feels like toy guns to everyone.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I tried out enabling the 90hz on SideQuest and wow, it really makes a huge difference in comfort.

Echo VR went from a very queasy experience to being just perfect. 5 minutes in there at 72 hz made me want to puke, but I just played matches for an hour with no trouble. I was also surprised at how noticeable the difference was perceptually, the world felt more solid and everything felt more responsive.

I think it might be a little unstable at 90hz though. After we left the game we were still chatting in an Oculus party and at some point my microphone stopped working. Then I rebooted and it totally lost tracking. Then I rebooted again, and when my friend invited me it made me go through the Facebook account process I've already done, and then it didn't join the party.

The official 90hz patch can't come soon enough.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/ieytd/status/1320772437181681673
I Expect You to Die sequel incoming?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I liked the guns in Alyx and would also like to know which games are better - not as a snipe in any way, just genuinely want to see what’s even better as I’m quite new to VR.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jakabite posted:

I liked the guns in Alyx and would also like to know which games are better - not as a snipe in any way, just genuinely want to see what’s even better as I’m quite new to VR.

Boneworks is a good place to start, but the real definitive answer is gonna be Hotdogs Horseshoes and Handgrenades as it's a semi-realistic firearm simulator with literally hundreds of guns to play with.

edit: Sairento is good as well if you want to dash about as a cyberpunk ninja with guns. The melee combat's so-so (just waggle the blade at something), but the shooting is gratuitously meaty.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Wicked, thanks. Can’t wait to get a decent pc to use my Quest with - Boneworks was one of those games that genuinely made me go ‘wow’.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Skybox isn't working for me anymore, it used to be fine but now when I try to connect it just says 'Network Error'. Have restarted everything, removed files and re-added. Anybody have any ideas?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jakabite posted:

If you want hundreds of realistic weapons (and a few unrealistic ones) with complex behavior and interaction, and some clunkiness because that complexity, you should check H3VR.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Turin Turambar posted:

If you want hundreds of realistic weapons (and a few unrealistic ones) with complex behavior and interaction, and some clunkiness because that complexity, you should check H3VR.

I always thought H3VR stood for Halflife 3:VR as a shorthand. I feel dumber now because I just realized what it actually is.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nocheez posted:

I always thought H3VR stood for Halflife 3:VR as a shorthand. I feel dumber now because I just realized what it actually is.

In my 'pre-VR, but following VR news' days I actually though the same, so you aren't alone!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tip posted:

I tried out enabling the 90hz on SideQuest and wow, it really makes a huge difference in comfort.

Echo VR went from a very queasy experience to being just perfect. 5 minutes in there at 72 hz made me want to puke, but I just played matches for an hour with no trouble. I was also surprised at how noticeable the difference was perceptually, the world felt more solid and everything felt more responsive.

I think it might be a little unstable at 90hz though. After we left the game we were still chatting in an Oculus party and at some point my microphone stopped working. Then I rebooted and it totally lost tracking. Then I rebooted again, and when my friend invited me it made me go through the Facebook account process I've already done, and then it didn't join the party.

The official 90hz patch can't come soon enough.

I had mic problems once on my Quest2 as well, I am not sure that is a 90hz thing. I believe the Oculus software is still a little clunky on the Q2. Even with my OG Rift I had to fight it every so often, it's kind of crappy compared to SteamVR imo.

But totally agree on the 90Hz. Maybe I am just used to it or what, but there's a huge difference between 72 and 90. I guess it's a 25% uplift, which isn't nothing, but it feels like a lot more.

Jakabite posted:

H3VR guns are amazing, and there are lots of different modes to play with. It has a reputation for just being a shooting range but that is only a small part of it.

Honestly, for people playing with PCVR I cannot recommend Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades enough.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

The one caveat to H3VR is that in its current state it is not very user-friendly. The dev plans to implement a streamlined control scheme and a proper tutorial before the end of the year, though.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
Also, you're absolutely going to bang the rings of the Touch controllers together like no tomorrow when learning to reload literally anything

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Unfortunately I’m on Quest at the moment but aiming for a new pc soon! Cheers for the tip, looks fun. I also thought it meant Half Life 3 but then realised I’d obviously have heard about Half Life 3 being released so was quite confused.

Best games for kids on Quest? Specifically a 9 year old who doesn’t like scary poo poo but really enjoyed First Steps and the Space Pirate Trainer demo. I’d throw her in Rec Room but honestly I have zero desire to let her interact with the online Quest community as it appears so far to be loving terrible. I’ve been looking at Moss. Any other suggestions?

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Lockback posted:

H3VR guns are amazing, and there are lots of different modes to play with. It has a reputation for just being a shooting range but that is only a small part of it.

Honestly, for people playing with PCVR I cannot recommend Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades enough.

Agreed. I keep coming back to it because popping sausage heads with the various rifles and shotguns is incredible.

I initially kind of bounced off of it due to the complete lack of instructions or tutorials in the game, but once it clicks it's really satisfying. I would just watch a Take and Hold playthrough or video tutorial or something so that you understand what's actually going on. When I first played that mode I didn't notice the radar, which meant I just wondered the hallways until I found some Sosigs which took a long time (map is kind of big). I also didn't understand how to spawn lock ammo, pick up multiple shells in a single hand, etc.

I'm really excited for the new control scheme too, since currently it's largely designed for the Vive wand's trackpad. With the Index's smaller pad, it's hard to do some things with any reliability (like open any break actions), especially with my larger hands.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Jakabite posted:

Unfortunately I’m on Quest at the moment but aiming for a new pc soon! Cheers for the tip, looks fun. I also thought it meant Half Life 3 but then realised I’d obviously have heard about Half Life 3 being released so was quite confused.

Best games for kids on Quest? Specifically a 9 year old who doesn’t like scary poo poo but really enjoyed First Steps and the Space Pirate Trainer demo. I’d throw her in Rec Room but honestly I have zero desire to let her interact with the online Quest community as it appears so far to be loving terrible. I’ve been looking at Moss. Any other suggestions?

If you like the idea of playing with guns, and you only have a quest, you should check out 'Gun Club VR'. Its no H3VR in its weapon selection and fidelity, but might scratch that itch for you in a quest form.

As far as kid game just on the quest, should look into vacation/job sim. Kids really love that one since its basically a sandbox with funny interactions. I had to drag my nephew away from job sim. You could also look into "Acron: attack of the squirrels" its a multiplayer game where one person is in the quest defending a tree, and the other players play on their phones as the squirrels trying to steal the nuts. Its a cute and family friendly game, and the family could play it together since the rest of the players just need phones.

Robo recall is also a tongue in cheek shoot 'em up game. There is shooting obviously, but the robots are very comical as they get torn apart so i think its probably a pretty kid friendly game.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Jakabite posted:

Shadowpoint, "Don't Touch Anything"(which is maybe a bit scary? But in a funny way), Pistol Whip if you don't mind violence in the very arcadey/abstract way, obviously Beat Saber.

Brownie posted:

I'm really excited for the new control scheme too, since currently it's largely designed for the Vive wand's trackpad. With the Index's smaller pad, it's hard to do some things with any reliability (like open any break actions), especially with my larger hands.

Yeah, I'd love to play Cowgirl Calico but using the single action is basically impossible with the touch controllers.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
My 5600x is okay for VR on the Quest 1, but could be better. And I'm conscious that if I want to upgrade to the higher-res Quest 2, I'll need better performance. So I'm eyeing up the RTX 3070. Is that gonna be enough for the Quest 2's screen, or would I need to hold out for 3080's to come back in stock?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

My 5600x is okay for VR on the Quest 1, but could be better. And I'm conscious that if I want to upgrade to the higher-res Quest 2, I'll need better performance. So I'm eyeing up the RTX 3070. Is that gonna be enough for the Quest 2's screen, or would I need to hold out for 3080's to come back in stock?

I'm using a 2080S and have no intent to upgrade this gen for my Quest 2. Sorta depends on what you want to play but the vast majority of games probably won't even push a 3070 all that hard. In general it's not a great idea to try to future proof, better to save the money and upgrade sooner.

It all depends though. I also think the 3070s are also going to be hard to get.

Scurvy Goonette
Sep 15, 2010

The Grumbles posted:

Significantly more than enough. The 3070 is more powerful than the 20 series' high-end cards. Good luck getting one!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

man i did some light googling on the decagear and you'd need some serious optimism to think that it's going anywhere
very new company, less than 10 employees, many have not been with the company for long or don't have a whole lot of experience
to believe that they could pull this off in such a short time, well, and for so little money is pretty nuts. i do hope they pull it off though, because if it's any good i'll want one

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Scurvy Goonette posted:

Significantly more than enough. The 3070 is more powerful than the 20 series' high-end cards. Good luck getting one!

Lockback posted:

I'm using a 2080S and have no intent to upgrade this gen for my Quest 2. Sorta depends on what you want to play but the vast majority of games probably won't even push a 3070 all that hard. In general it's not a great idea to try to future proof, better to save the money and upgrade sooner.

It all depends though. I also think the 3070s are also going to be hard to get.

Thanks both. Part of me wants to wait for ATI's offering, but part of me feels like VR is always better on NVidia. I'm working from home so I'll see if I get lucky on Thurs.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Inacio posted:

man i did some light googling on the decagear and you'd need some serious optimism to think that it's going anywhere
very new company, less than 10 employees, many have not been with the company for long or don't have a whole lot of experience
to believe that they could pull this off in such a short time, well, and for so little money is pretty nuts. i do hope they pull it off though, because if it's any good i'll want one

Just enough employees to define what an ideal headset would be and make some renders, several orders of magnitude too small to actually nail it lol

I'm guessing success for them looks more like an acquisition than a product launch.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
If feasible for your schedule, try refreshing Zotac's website between midnight and 12:30AM Pacific, as they've done several inventory drops at that time. That's how I got mine; not as many scalpers/fellow shitlord gamers with disposable income around at that time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nocheez posted:

Its the special H3H3 podcast VR game!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Boneworks is a good place to start, but the real definitive answer is gonna be Hotdogs Horseshoes and Handgrenades as it's a semi-realistic firearm simulator with literally hundreds of guns to play with.

edit: Sairento is good as well if you want to dash about as a cyberpunk ninja with guns. The melee combat's so-so (just waggle the blade at something), but the shooting is gratuitously meaty.

I love H3 but its not remotely comparable to Alyx. Take and Hold just... is barely a game mode. H3VR is a gun range simulator, and that's cool but different.

Boneworks is a better comparison but shooting the guys in Boneworks isn't as fun for me as Alyx and the platforming feels janky. Very interesting game but its definitely an indie game trying to push the envelope and that means jank.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jakabite posted:

Beat Saber of course

Tom Guycot posted:

As far as kid game just on the quest, should look into vacation/job sim. Kids really love that one since its basically a sandbox with funny interactions. I had to drag my nephew away from job sim.

I think this thread thinks its kinda lame but yeah 100% agree that Vacation/Job Sim is a good VR game for newbies, especially children. Comfortable and intuitive VR gameplay.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Some guy plays video games or something.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I love H3 but its not remotely comparable to Alyx. Take and Hold just... is barely a game mode. H3VR is a gun range simulator, and that's cool but different.

Boneworks is a better comparison but shooting the guys in Boneworks isn't as fun for me as Alyx and the platforming feels janky. Very interesting game but its definitely an indie game trying to push the envelope and that means jank.

Return of Rottenweiners is a full fledged VR rogue-lite, The Xmas Globe has like 6 mini-games that are all pretty solid (especially king of the grill), Take and Hold has like 8 different characters which change gameplay, inventory, and enemy type (including a zombie mode with multiple sides). Saying H3VR is a "Gun Range Simulator" basically means you haven't played it.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Lockback posted:

Return of Rottenweiners is a full fledged VR rogue-lite, The Xmas Globe has like 6 mini-games that are all pretty solid (especially king of the grill), Take and Hold has like 8 different characters which change gameplay, inventory, and enemy type (including a zombie mode with multiple sides). Saying H3VR is a "Gun Range Simulator" basically means you haven't played it.

In their defence, I haven’t tried many of the different modes because I have no idea which ones are actual “game modes”, how they work, how old they are etc. But maybe I’m just being lazy.

Also I personally could not get into Rottweiners at all. I don’t like moving through the world very much and my god there’s a lot of open space on that map.

EDIT: But I also love Take and Hold, and think calling it "barely a game mode" is dumb. If you don't think it's fun or think it's shallow that's one thing, but it's definitely a game mode.

Brownie fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Its the special H3H3 podcast VR game!

I wonder why I've had so much less fun with Alyx than most people? I loved Boneworks and beat it almost immediately, but I can't even make myself finish Alyx. I want to like it, I just... keep sliding off its polish, instead of being able to have fun climbing around the rough edges of H3VR, Jet Island, Saints and Sinners, or the other VR games I've really liked.