Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dafte
Jul 21, 2001

Techno. Logical. Pimp.

Sagebrush posted:

if you go to here https://www.evga.com/community/myNotifies.asp what does it say for the date and time you signed up?

9/16/2020 12:41 PM PT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

spunkshui posted:

Yeah if you don't cpu overclock then its totally safe. Still thought it was funny that your "just to be safe" was lower then Nvidia's but I get it.

Seems like most of the people with the cable problem are using a single cable on a dual plug card.

Considering a 750w Corsair sfx psu is going for like $250 and I just spent like $850 on a gpu I don't think I'd survive past Thanskgiving if my s/o found out I spent that much money.

Hopefully just daisy chaining one connection won't effect performance. I did see Greg Salazar's video where he said the two pins on a 6+2 cable were just ground and he wired a solution to that himself. I would just pick up a 6 pin pcie to 6+2 cable if I see anything wonky.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWogai4XFG8

lol love how watch dogs is churning all the CPU and GPU cycles to look like crap

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
That looks offensively boring.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

shrike82 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWogai4XFG8

lol love how watch dogs is churning all the CPU and GPU cycles to look like crap

holy poo poo that art direction is a loving mess. maybe Death Stranding and Witcher spoiled me, but that just looks so...lifeless and plastic

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dafte posted:

9/16/2020 12:41 PM PT

Sweet just 19 hours to go for me

(That's about 4 hours in so far from what I can tell)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
345 watts on the GPU alone, to look not nearly as good as the 2015 PC port of GTAV

edit: yeah as people are saying, Ray Tracing is not a replacement for Artistry lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zero VGS posted:

edit: yeah as people are saying, Ray Tracing is not a replacement for Artistry lol

If one art direction is good, five must be even better! The characters seem so out of place, and the lighting is really flat other than the reflections (ooooh). Gimme some shadows from light posts and bollards and mail boxes at least. Or let me cast a shadow on a car as I stand next to it. All those transistors want to please.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

does ubisoft still distribute the development of one game over like 12 studios because that would explain why it's so disjointed

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

folks its the latest piece of shovelware from ubisoft what did we expect

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Sphyre posted:

folks its the latest piece of shovelware from ubisoft what did we expect

E: though it is exceptionally bad looking.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

repiv posted:

does ubisoft still distribute the development of one game over like 12 studios because that would explain why it's so disjointed
i think it got a huge postponement at one point, so it's probably marinated in some production hell for a game of this scope

the upcoming assassin's creed literally looks worse than its predecessor graphically, maybe it's just because misogyny used to power all their creative energy, but pretty much everything kinda looks like poo poo coming from them at the moment

i also find it weird that we haven't seen any teased footage of the upcoming far cry

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Control looks sick as loving hell though so there's that

Edit: Valhalla game play doesn't look that bad

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 27, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lol if DLSS just makes devs lazier at optimization

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

terrorist ambulance posted:

Control looks sick as loving hell though so there's that

it does but ubisoft didn't make control so not sure how that's relevent

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Valhalla's lighting looks better at least but the gameplay looks unchanged

who'd thunk a misogyny factory would churn out lovely games
(and i love how they're exporting lovely people to other companies - i.e., the stadia creative director)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lol if DLSS just makes devs lazier at optimization

after covering RTX costs, this is exactly what will happen if there’s wide adoption

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

after covering RTX costs, this is exactly what will happen if there’s wide adoption

Imagining the funniest scenario where it runs so fast on DLSS and so slow without that some devs set it as a hard requirement and refuse to let it launch on AMD

edit: I still remember when there were multiple games that had developer checks to refuse to launch on the Intel Pentium Anniversary chip from 2014, until you hex-edited the EXE to allow it and then they ran 100% fine.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 27, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Zero VGS posted:

Imagining the funniest scenario where it runs so fast on DLSS and so slow without that some devs set it as a hard requirement and refuse to let it launch on AMD

Lol you get 60fps with DLSS and you'll like it.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
the psu is probably the one component of your computer you really should not be skimping out on, it is best to oversize and buy a better rated one.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

DrDork posted:

Apparently the only way to win is not to play. Peeps in Discord mentioned having success by bypassing the steps entirely:

Zotac buy steps
First
https://store.zotac.com/customer/account/login/
Second
Pick one of the following IN STOCK items
3080 Trinity
https://store.zotac.com/zotac-gaming-geforce-rtx-3080-trinity-zt-a30800d-10p
3080 Trinity OC
https://store.zotac.com/zotac-gaming-geforce-rtx-3080-trinity-oc-zt-a30800j-10p
3090 Trinity
https://store.zotac.com/zotac-gaming-geforce-rtx-3090-trinity-zt-a30900d-10p
Third
https://store.zotac.com/paypal/express/start/
Profit
https://store.zotac.com/paypal/express/review/

e; I feel ya, though. That's the third time I've been at my computer, got to the page before the notification hit Discord (thanks, Snatcher), and still haven't been able to get a card because I was foolishly trying to actually use their website and not Paypal.

Quoting this from way back because you are the best and got me a completed order.

They're still gonna ship me a box full of rocks and then ups will steal those rocks, but thank you my dude/dudette.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
What if physx cards came back but for rtx is that possible or would the latency be too high

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Remember when the rumor mill was saying there'd be an rtx coprocessor on the back of the pcb?

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Ray tracing or not Watch Dogs looks like crap

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

watch dogs san francisco was pretty great

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Howdy thread. This is like the only thread in SH/SC that we get reports for. I've mostly avoided probing anyone because stuff wasn't really over the line, but if we could all make an effort to post a little better, it'd make this thread a lot more enjoyable to read.

Thank you. And may the card odds be ever in your favor. *waves hand*

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 27, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

VorpalFish posted:

Quoting this from way back because you are the best and got me a completed order.

They're still gonna ship me a box full of rocks and then ups will steal those rocks, but thank you my dude/dudette.

Glad you got one, man. Or got your box of rocks ordered, at least! FWIW, I've been seeing enough pop up on secondary markets that at least some of the boxes have cards in them. Or they could just be models, who knows?!

I apparently had forgotten to log back in to my Zotac account today and missed the drop yet again :(

One day...one day....

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
he actually loving did it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY8NLAfNi_M

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Shipon posted:

the psu is probably the one component of your computer you really should not be skimping out on, it is best to oversize and buy a better rated one.

I went for evga 850 titanium since I love overclocking. Well that and it was in-stock and able to be shipped by 9/17 which was far less valuable then I realized at the time.

Well when I dug out my old corsair PSU I was shocked to see 650 BRONZE, not gold like I thought.

Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650-Watt TX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000X24ISU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_v94LFbXHPZJY0

The 650 has yellow letters and my brain remembered that as “gold.” :downs:

It was running an i7 920 with a 50% overclock for like half a decade. 2.66 to 4.0 all core.

I still agree its good to not buy shady PSUs, but I have to admit corsair bronze was apparently very fine.

(Sample size of one)

Edit: zero regrets, new psu very nice :3:

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 27, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

spunkshui posted:

I still agree its good to not buy shady PSUs, but I have to admit corsair bronze was apparently very fine.

To be fair, once you get to name-brand PSUs with any rating, you don't really get a lot of meaningful quality differentiation between Bronze and Gold, just minor efficiency differences.

Honestly anything from Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic, etc., will be perfectly fine as a PSU, and you should only pay for the high-end certifications if you know you'll need it for some reason, like trying to take a 10900k to the moon.

Everyone planning on AMD builds with Ampere is kinda wasting money on Titanium/Platinum PSUs because you're not overclocking either of those bits by any meaningful amount in the first place.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

It only tried to kill him a few times.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

DrDork posted:

To be fair, once you get to name-brand PSUs with any rating, you don't really get a lot of meaningful quality differentiation between Bronze and Gold, just minor efficiency differences.

Honestly anything from Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic, etc., will be perfectly fine as a PSU, and you should only pay for the high-end certifications if you know you'll need it for some reason, like trying to take a 10900k to the moon.

Everyone planning on AMD builds with Ampere is kinda wasting money on Titanium/Platinum PSUs because you're not overclocking either of those bits by any meaningful amount in the first place.

It had a 5 year warranty I think, easy way to find reliable hardware.

This baby's got 10 years! If my PSU lasts twice as long as a normal PSU I cant afford not to buy it!

To be fair, I am also wasting money with this thing, but holy poo poo is it nice. it weighs more without cables then my last one did with all of its cables. Them all black sleeved modular cables are THICK.

I saved money on not having to buy custom cables extensions. :colbert:

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
The PSU can become the nosiest part of your machine. I had an EVGA 750W G3 and at max power, its fan noise overwhelmed everything else.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
For those who are interested in odd hardware variants I've been messing around with the Gigabyte Turbo 3090 that I've been 'loaned' (pictured below). As expected it is indeed LOUD(under load of course it is very quiet otherwise), however with headphones on it's not noticeable when playing games. Performance wise it's fine and sits at around 68-70c under load with the default fan curve. I can knock a few degrees off with increased fan speed at the cost of a bit more noise and presumably more wear and tear on the blower. I'll try under-volting later and see what that does. Card itself is very solidly constructed, significantly more so then any video card I've handled. It doesn't seem to be sacrificing performance either but that said it is default spec with no factory OC. I'll see how premiere goes with some work stuff this week.

In conclusion it's LOUD as a small bathroom heater. It performs great. Raytracing sure is purdy! DLSS 1 is kinda crap. DLSS 2 is great! Noise cancelling headphones!

I'll probably keep it since the price is discounted and the noise isn't an issue for me as I use decent headphones. I could always water cool it later on if I had to I guess.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

DrDork posted:

Glad you got one, man. Or got your box of rocks ordered, at least! FWIW, I've been seeing enough pop up on secondary markets that at least some of the boxes have cards in them. Or they could just be models, who knows?!

I apparently had forgotten to log back in to my Zotac account today and missed the drop yet again :(

One day...one day....

Keep at it - I'd say I did a solid 45 seconds to a minute just fumbling with passwords and still got through. I think the site getting annihilated actually helped me. Probably kept a bunch of folks refreshing the page trying to get in. If you jump the second the discord notification goes off, you'll get it.

They seem to consistently drop weekday evenings.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Whats more likely to happen in the long term is the total computation budget will have DLSS factored into it so they'll provide more complex environments that run at an acceptable frame rate. On the other end of the spectrum, indie/low budget games will be able to do a lot more with their limited (real money) budget.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

seems fairly unlikely that games will be hyperoptimized to that extent given the existence of consoles

maybe in 5 years where some form of it is running on everything but not for the foreseeable future when RTX cards form what - less than 10% of the machines that people are playing games on

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

MeruFM posted:

The PSU can become the nosiest part of your machine. I had an EVGA 750W G3 and at max power, its fan noise overwhelmed everything else.

Very true.

When we case swapped my wifes PC this year we realizing the 500w PSU was loud. Got lucky going for a 750 way before Nvidia recommended it.

This is why I got the 650 corsair back in the day. I wanted one of them new fancy 140mm fan PSUs.

edit: And now a bunch of goons are going to realize their PSU is the loudest fans in their rig. Sorry, been there with my 80mm PC Power and cooling unit.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Welp I received my RTX 3080... the unbranded Dell one that came with the Alienware I just bought lol

After stacking discounts and cash back it's basically scalper price but includes a decent PC. I'll probably just use it as a free rental unless I can scalp the card for near the price I paid.

This thing is janky as hell and now I need to buy a riser card to even use it in my normal PC:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

Welp I received my RTX 3080... the unbranded Dell one that came with the Alienware I just bought lol

After stacking discounts and cash back it's basically scalper price but includes a decent PC.

What's the rest of the PC like