Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
biden will win the election but he will not become the 46th president of the united states. lol if you thought bush v gore was bad strap the gently caress in

biden has already said he will not do the 18 year thing and he won't comment on court packing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Sagebrush posted:

With the anticipated upcoming control of the house, the senate and the presidency, there is the possibility of passing a constitutional amendment to add more judges to the supreme court, which would be significantly less sneaky and partisan than the hypocritical horseshit mcconnell has just pulled.

That is, unless...

you actually think the democrats are going to get a two-thirds supermajority in both the house and senate? lmfao

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
welp the likelihood of talking to my manager about moving to one of the other countries we operate in just went up by 50%

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

With the anticipated upcoming control of the house, the senate and the presidency, there is the possibility of passing a constitutional amendment to add more judges to the supreme court, which would be significantly less sneaky and partisan than the hypocritical horseshit mcconnell has just pulled.

That is, unless...

you don't need a constitutional amendment, it says nothing about the number of justices. if that starts i'm looking forward to the inevitable justice arms race until the supreme court must convene in a stadium

and lol if you think any constitutional amendments are going to get through in the 21st century considering that anything must be approved by 38 of 50 states

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

completely unrelated: property in New Zealand is expensive as gently caress

confirmed.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jonny 290 posted:

biden will win the election but he will not become the 46th president of the united states. lol if you thought bush v gore was bad strap the gently caress in

biden has already said he will not do the 18 year thing and he won't comment on court packing

the 18 year thing would require an amendment and even the most insanely optimistic projections for the election don't have them anywhere near the senators necessary to pull that off. and that would be assuming they were all on board as well and welp we saw how the aca went with the public option

packing the court is much much easier. which is why he won't comment on it (hopefully)

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

love to be ruled over by a bunch of dipshits with the notable achievement of sitting on the top of a vast plain of land

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The_Franz posted:

you don't need a constitutional amendment, it says nothing about the number of justices. if that starts i'm looking forward to the inevitable justice arms race until the supreme court must convene in a stadium

Oh, nice, I thought it was the other way around and that term limits were easy but the number was set. Pack the court to the loving roof starting November 4th. Who gives a poo poo what happens later? As the Republicans have proved, the only thing that matters is what you do right now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

can i rent one of your many outbuildings?

i'm from a commonwealth nation, not one of these filthy americans

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

love to be ruled over by a bunch of dipshits with the notable achievement of sitting on the top of a vast plain of land

a lot of the old money in the us is from ancestral farmers who just happend to lay claim to a big chunk of land that was located near water or a railroad spur, yes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

Oh, nice, I thought it was the other way around and that term limits were easy but the number was set. Pack the court to the loving roof starting November 4th. Who gives a poo poo what happens later? As the Republicans have proved, the only thing that matters is what you do right now

yeah im sure chuck, nancy, and joe are absolutely planning to do that. lol.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

The_Franz posted:

a lot of the old money in the us is from ancestral farmers who just happend to lay claim to a big chunk of land that was located near water or a railroad spur, yes

so its just like the old money everywhere else?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i was pretty pessimistic on the whole court packing thing actually happening because :decorum: two years ago but with mcconnell openly going on fox to brag about what a colossal poo poo he is it seems like it's gaining in popularity. idk

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i was pretty pessimistic on the whole court packing thing actually happening because :decorum: two years ago but with mcconnell openly going on fox to brag about what a colossal poo poo he is it seems like it's gaining in popularity. idk

you know what else is super popular? medicare for all.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Bernie was extremely popular but he also inconvenienced the wealthy class so

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

gun law reform is extremely popular, especially after sandy hook. ending the iraq war is also very popular. etc. popular has nothing to do with it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
lol. that old rag will see another amendment when pigs fly.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lol if you think the oligarchs that run this country will ever allow a constitutional amendment through.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

the way you can tell that joe biden intends to pack the court is when he steadfastly refuses to say that he will pack the court. real 4d chess poo poo

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

That is, unless...

They’re absolutely going to steal the election and they’re already telegraphing the method they’ll use, ban counting of mail ballots after November 3rd. See kavanagh’s opinion today.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Truman Peyote posted:

the way you can tell that joe biden intends to pack the court is when he steadfastly refuses to say that he will pack the court. real 4d chess poo poo

joe biden only repeats what his handlers and the teleprompter tell him. the man is more addled than reagan going into his second term

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They’re absolutely going to steal the election and they’re already telegraphing the method they’ll use, ban counting of mail ballots after November 3rd. See kavanagh’s opinion today.

but thats illegal. im sure the supreme court wouldnt go along with that.

Apr 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1320875285601046529

He’s saying here that if you can’t count it by 11:59 PM on 11/03 he doesn’t think it should matter.

This flies in the face of all established practice of course

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

no, this is all the constitution says on the structure of the judicial branch:

quote:

The judicial Power of the United States, shall be vested in one supreme Court, and in such inferior Courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish. The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behaviour, and shall, at stated Times, receive for their Services, a Compensation, which shall not be diminished during their Continuance in Office.
everything else, from the number of justices, the number and jurisdiction of lower courts, and so on is due to congressional statutes.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

november 4th will have a 25% lead in the popular vote for the democrats and it'll go faithless electors for the gop

everyone will go "oh well nothing we can do about that"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i would like to learn how voting by mail is safe and secure, thank you twitter

and what a helpful place to put the link that tells me how, right under the president's tweet that says my vote won't count if i vote by mail.

doing god's work here twitter. god's work

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

remember to vote, everyone!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

anyone who thought it was a good idea to not vote in person whether early or on the day of is kind of an idiot

I mentioned this on a Facebook post and some lib told me how saying this was “dangerous” to democracy lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1320875285601046529

He’s saying here that if you can’t count it by 11:59 PM on 11/03 he doesn’t think it should matter.

This flies in the face of all established practice of course

i'm not sure how this is supposed to work because a ton of states are already counting the ballots as they come in and in states like pa they're scantron so it won't take any longer than it normally does

i'm sure this applies to a few states but... which ones?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if you're accepting that they're going to somehow disenfranchise mail in voters, would in person voting be any less likely to also be disenfranchised?

is that somehow a line that hypothetically can't be crossed once you're already illegally ignoring or invalidating votes?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

anyone who thought it was a good idea to not vote in person whether early or on the day of is kind of an idiot

I mentioned this on a Facebook post and some lib told me how saying this was “dangerous” to democracy lol

I get what you're driving at but there are going to be chud drivebys at those enormous lines in black voting areas. They are salivating, absolutely champing at the bit, to kill dem voters on election day so for every further election "mail-in is the only safe way" and then they just burn every ballot box.

Apr 7, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i'm not sure how this is supposed to work because a ton of states are already counting the ballots as they come in and in states like pa they're scantron so it won't take any longer than it normally does

i'm sure this applies to a few states but... which ones?

It hurts MI/PA/WI since those states can’t count the ballots until Election Day.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
this country blows

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

That is, unless...

you don’t need an amendment you can just add them. the problem is that the other party will immediately retaliate. there is no constitutional number of justice you just pass a new judicial act or whatever it is called.

that is probably easier than term limits because the life appointment is there because the constitution specifies they can serve as long as they have “good behavior” and that gets murky quickly.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

President Beep posted:

this country blows

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Trump currently has a considerable lead in "people who haven't voted yet but intend to vote on election day"

There's a very good chance all the various forms of suppression end up just backfiring on Trump supporters lol

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

it's going to be pretty funny if, considering the elaborate system of checks and balances, rules of succession and so forth, what ultimately ends up being the beginning of the end for the us government is an 87 year old cancer patient dying of natural causes

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 27, 2020

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ShadowHawk posted:

Trump currently has a considerable lead in "people who haven't voted yet but intend to vote on election day"

There's a very good chance all the various forms of suppression end up just backfiring on Trump supporters lol

wouldn’t they just not do it if it’s gonna stop their guy?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

fart simpson posted:

wouldn’t they just not do it if it’s gonna stop their guy?
There's no way to "not do" all the poll closures and enormous lines they've planned on creating

Sure the poll watcher goon squads might be theoretically called off but it doesn't look like there's a way to stop them now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

but they can pretty well predict which polling stations to disrupt to guide things toward the result they want