Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

cage-free egghead posted:

Kinda, the site tracks nearly everything you've done including bookmarks that "complete" once you've spent enough time on the page. The instructor and mentor can see how much progress you've made on everything.

I guess more of "glance through the WGU stuff, then actually study outside of that using Messer", rather than just not using the WGU stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
WGU gives you access to pluralsight and LinkedInLearning as well (it's in the alumni section for some reason https://www.wgu.edu/alumni/career-support/learning-resources.html.), I used the Sec+ videos there as additional review while doing chores/biking to hear the material in different ways.

I didn't find the Ucertify material to be very helpful, but the practice exams were ok.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Anybody got recommendations on exam prep for the AWS SAA-C02? I watched a video series on the SAA-C01 over the summer, but want to feel a little more prepared than I do now. Looks like this is about my only choice that's out now, but I thought I'd ask first. I think I'll give the Cloud Practicioner exam a go first too, as my employer should cover the costs for both.

Also, I'm open to suggestions for learning about learning K8s in general. Maybe more of a hands-on approach than "This is why containers are great".

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 3, 2020

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

nitsuga posted:

Anybody got recommendations on exam prep for the AWS SAA-C02? I watched a video series on the SAA-C01 over the summer, but want to feel a little more prepared than I do now. Looks like this is about my only choice that's out now, but I thought I'd ask first. I think I'll give the Cloud Practicioner exam a go first too, as my employer should cover the costs for both.

Also, I'm open to suggestions for learning about learning K8s in general. Maybe more of a hands-on approach than "This is why containers are great".

Stephane Maarek's course on udemy is pretty highly regarded. It's $95 but nobody ever pays full price on udemy; looks like if you click the link from his website https://courses.datacumulus.com/, it comes with a promo code for $13. Don't know if that is for first time udemy subscribers or not. Or just wait a few days until udemy does another sale.

Skipping Cloud Practitioner and starting studying for SAA-C02 is typically recommended as their is a lot of overlap between the two. A pretty common path is to take the CP after studying for the arch associate just as a bench mark, and if you pass you get a voucher to take the SAA-C02 at a discounted rate. This method comes out to being $25 more expensive which I personally think is worth it if you are paying out of pocket. Depends on you if your employer is paying, and if they buy the voucher or just reimburse on pass.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Cyks posted:

Stephane Maarek's course on udemy is pretty highly regarded. It's $95 but nobody ever pays full price on udemy; looks like if you click the link from his website https://courses.datacumulus.com/, it comes with a promo code for $13. Don't know if that is for first time udemy subscribers or not. Or just wait a few days until udemy does another sale.

Skipping Cloud Practitioner and starting studying for SAA-C02 is typically recommended as their is a lot of overlap between the two. A pretty common path is to take the CP after studying for the arch associate just as a bench mark, and if you pass you get a voucher to take the SAA-C02 at a discounted rate. This method comes out to being $25 more expensive which I personally think is worth it if you are paying out of pocket. Depends on you if your employer is paying, and if they buy the voucher or just reimburse on pass.

Thanks! Those look like some good options for practice tests, and I'll probably spring for the C002 video course too. I definitely will take the Cloud Practicioner exam, that discount on the next exam is all the encouragement I need. My employer only pays for exams you pass, so I might as well be as sure as I can.

Longbike
Sep 7, 2011

nitsuga posted:

I just passed SAA-C02 on Thursday. It's my first cert and I used the Acloudguru course on Udemy for the bulk of my prep, followed up by whizlabs practice tests over the last two weeks. I think I paid a grand total of $25 for all prep materials.

I wasn't tremendously impressed with the Acloudguru course- it got me where I needed to be but it feels like they don't have great coverage of newer topics in particular and I ended up doing a lot of independent study. Their practice tests in particular are kind of shameful, and I'm glad I bought the practice exam package from whizlabs.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

nitsuga posted:

Thanks! Those look like some good options for practice tests, and I'll probably spring for the C002 video course too. I definitely will take the Cloud Practicioner exam, that discount on the next exam is all the encouragement I need. My employer only pays for exams you pass, so I might as well be as sure as I can.

Forgot to mention Jon Bonso for practice exams, found at tutorialsdojo for $15 or $30 currently on udemy.

Longbike posted:

I wasn't tremendously impressed with the Acloudguru course- it got me where I needed to be but it feels like they don't have great coverage of newer topics in particular and I ended up doing a lot of independent study.

Acloudguru was pretty popular back when I first looked at AWS a year ago but the general opinion I came across was that their material wasn't updated very well for the new version, which sounds like the experience you had as well.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Anyone have advice for taking the Azure - 900 test?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

RC Cola posted:

I think I posted a practice exam site earlier on in the thread, that helped me a lot. I can dig it up when I get home if you can't find it.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I'm currently waiting on my paperwork to become official for my CISM, so I'm trying to figure out what to do next. I've already got a CISPP and a GSTRT (not that anybody's ever heard of the GSTRT).

So, now I'm trying to decide what to do next. If I get any more certs, I'm looking to focus on management-oriented ones, since that's where I tend to work best. So, right now, I'm looking at the CRISC, CGEIT, CCISO, and CIPP and/or CIPM (I figure a privacy cert or two couldn't hurt).

Does anybody have any opinions on any of these? From a quick look at the CCISO site, I wasn't too impressed, but maybe there are people who actually care about it? CRISC and CGEIT seem pretty solid in terms of material, but I haven't seen too many places that specifically want them. I don't know too much about IAPP's stuff, other than that the CIP* ones seem to be what people talk about most for privacy stuff.

Money's tight at work, so I'm probably not going to be able to get any more cash out of them for a while. If I could talk them into paying for another SANS course, though, I'd be pretty strongly tempted to do the GLEG.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

RC Cola posted:

I used the official Microsoft learning path guide, and then paid a couple bucks for the Whizlabs practice tests. Passed first try.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/certifications/exams/az-900

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
I passed my CCNA finally. I did the Neil Anderson Udemy course and the Boson Sims until i could get above a 900 routinely. I also passed Sec+ in August.

My question is, whats next? I enjoy Network Engineering and security, but I still feel like I should know more before I start applying in a crowded job market (NYC area).

Im stuck in a job that pays well but isnt right for me anymore, is it possible to gather enough of a skillset to bypass most helpdesk time?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Sacrist65 posted:

I passed my CCNA finally. I did the Neil Anderson Udemy course and the Boson Sims until i could get above a 900 routinely. I also passed Sec+ in August.

My question is, whats next? I enjoy Network Engineering and security, but I still feel like I should know more before I start applying in a crowded job market (NYC area).

Im stuck in a job that pays well but isnt right for me anymore, is it possible to gather enough of a skillset to bypass most helpdesk time?

What are you doing now? If you have a couple years of experience in the industry under your belt, I don't see why you'd need more experience and skills to move into a job of the level I'd expect a CCNA to be applying to.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Do labs (packet tracer is plenty) while applying for any job you can. Familiarize yourself with the basics in case you do have a technical interview.

Most actual entry network jobs at a reasonable size company are going to have you be the newbie responsible for patching in cables, and if you're lucky, configuring the switchport vlan for the first few months.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sacrist65 posted:

First off congratulations. A LOT of people talk about getting their CCNA and a basic understanding of networking and never actually end up doing it.

Start applying anywhere and everywhere that you can. Just based on my limited experience try and get in somewhere small and broke. You'll learn so much jury-rigging stupid setups together, and those orgs arent able to afford senior people so you can come in and basically get plenty of experience by being thrown into the deep end.

Just dont stay that long and try to leave on good terms. Positions at places like that can and will burn you out if you try to become the sole technical savior.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Where can I get some sample tests for the *squints* 220-1001 and 220-1002?

Is there something like khanacademy but for an A+ certificate? I'm pretty sure I can get a 60-70% just with what I know already and can easily pick up the remaining knowledge, but something external and structured works a lot better for me than just trying to learn it on my own free time.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Going for the Sec+ this weekend, and I have to say I have never been so frustrated studying for an exam in my life. It's almost like they want you to fail a few times :downs:

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Defenestrategy posted:

Going for the Sec+ this weekend, and I have to say I have never been so frustrated studying for an exam in my life. It's almost like they want you to fail a few times :downs:

What study material are you using and what background do you have going into it?

I basically went with just Messer's videos on topics I didn't have covered, as well as his course guide and practice exams and ended up with 833 after a week of studying (but also a CS degree with a concentration in Network & Security and 2 years experience doing tier 1.5-2 helpdesk depending on how you count it)

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Buff Hardback posted:

What study material are you using and what background do you have going into it?

I basically went with just Messer's videos on topics I didn't have covered, as well as his course guide and practice exams and ended up with 833 after a week of studying (but also a CS degree with a concentration in Network & Security and 2 years experience doing tier 1.5-2 helpdesk depending on how you count it)

Mostly GCGA+Udemy and Comptia's Certmaster thing, I have a BS in IT with an Info Sec concentration and have been doing various IT jobs for a few years. The big problem I'm finding is twisting my mind into fitting what the gently caress the people writing the practice tests are trying to say. While the GCGA practice tests are good, the Udemy tests are fine, the Comptia practice problems are so poorly written it worries me.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Defenestrategy posted:

Mostly GCGA+Udemy and Comptia's Certmaster thing, I have a BS in IT with an Info Sec concentration and have been doing various IT jobs for a few years. The big problem I'm finding is twisting my mind into fitting what the gently caress the people writing the practice tests are trying to say. While the GCGA practice tests are good, the Udemy tests are fine, the Comptia practice problems are so poorly written it worries me.

I'd say take the Messer tests and see where you end up. I scored higher than I did on Messer tests on average.

I think that has to do with there being the right answer, then wrong answers in varying levels of wrong, so you can maybe get some points from a wrong answer, whereas when doing the practice test it's easier to just grade yourself on "right answer wrong answer" scoring system.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Jinnigan posted:

Where can I get some sample tests for the *squints* 220-1001 and 220-1002?

Is there something like khanacademy but for an A+ certificate? I'm pretty sure I can get a 60-70% just with what I know already and can easily pick up the remaining knowledge, but something external and structured works a lot better for me than just trying to learn it on my own free time.

Check out DionTraining. He has his website and is on Udemy. His practice tests are pretty good and close to the real thing. They go on sale pretty often too. I got my A+ recently this way.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

rngd in the womb posted:

Check out DionTraining. He has his website and is on Udemy. His practice tests are pretty good and close to the real thing. They go on sale pretty often too. I got my A+ recently this way.

Thanks for mentioning the DionTraining website, going to the Udemy stuff from that site applied an 83% off coupon. I was looking at these tests the other day and was wondering when they would go on sale, and it looks like it's all the time if you find the right link.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Buff Hardback posted:

I'd say take the Messer tests and see where you end up. I scored higher than I did on Messer tests on average.

I think that has to do with there being the right answer, then wrong answers in varying levels of wrong, so you can maybe get some points from a wrong answer, whereas when doing the practice test it's easier to just grade yourself on "right answer wrong answer" scoring system.

Went through the messer exams and scoring 87-90ish percent on them, and the questions are what id expect from someone who is interested in testing your knowledge rather than being misleading

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Defenestrategy posted:

Went through the messer exams and scoring 87-90ish percent on them, and the questions are what id expect from someone who is interested in testing your knowledge rather than being misleading

I am not a certified test tutor, but I'd estimate you're probably ready. I was scoring around 80% on the Messer exams and ended up with 833/900.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Not necessarily cert related, but I’ve been very slowly working through the MS provided SCCM lab and guide. Unfortunately, the actual setup took me so long that my trials for the E5 accounts ran out. Not sure what options I have for having some kind of learning based exception or cheap rate.

So I figured I’d come here first and see what ideas folks had before investing more dollars into this endeavor.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Do you have a home lab you can throw on a trial license on?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I'm not really into Microsoft licensing but can you automate deployment of hosts with trail licenses and just keep redeploying them?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I searched and found a few references to Whizlabs for practice tests, but has anyone used any of their training videos? I see a year subscription is only $100 right now, which includes access to all the videos and practice tests, and I'm planning on working on a couple Az Certs to get myself up to AZ-400. I've tried going through the "free" training and it felt very confusing and unfocused, and it turns out I don't learn very well just by reading.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I just passed the AWS Solutions Architect Professional exam. It was one of the harder exams I've taken, not for technical reason, but just because the test requires a lot of rote memorization to remember all the AWS services. The questions are very long and scenario based, and aren't so much "tricky" as a "all are correct, but you have to find the right one for the scenario." If anyone wants some information on the exam I'd be happy to write it up more.

My company got themselves into a pickle where all the other SA Professional certified engineers at our company have left, and we need so many on staff to keep our partnership level and discounts, so I got a call on Oct 10th from my manager asking if I can get it by end of month. Typically we're more organized, but this was a fun little challenge.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm an RN in a EHR (Epic) analyst position. I want to get more on the data/tech side of the house. I have experience with querying the EDW, python+pandas, data viz etc... and am currently learning about virtualization and containers.

Are there any certifications I can work on over the next year that will make me more marketable for BI/ETL/EDW Developer positions? I've really enjoyed my exposure to this work and I think I need more tech-centric certs on my resume to balance out my clinical expertise.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Got my Security+, after getting my CISSP last month...

Current employer paid for it, and I was told by a recruiter that some places (that I probably dont want to work at) are requiring both so I figured why not.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Just got Sec+ today, gently caress comptia forever.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Defenestrategy posted:

Just got Sec+ today, gently caress comptia forever.

How'd you do?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

~820, they gave me like no encryption questions which probably contributed to it, and two of the pbqs where literally the same ones posted on a site I was practicing pbqs on.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

rngd in the womb posted:

Dion's Udemy course with the practice tests are part of what I used to pass both exams for the A+. Not so sure I found much as far as prep for PBQ's however - I do suppose that there is no perfect resource in this manner though.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

First off congratulations. A LOT of people talk about getting their CCNA and a basic understanding of networking and never actually end up doing it.

Start applying anywhere and everywhere that you can. Just based on my limited experience try and get in somewhere small and broke. You'll learn so much jury-rigging stupid setups together, and those orgs arent able to afford senior people so you can come in and basically get plenty of experience by being thrown into the deep end.

Just dont stay that long and try to leave on good terms. Positions at places like that can and will burn you out if you try to become the sole technical savior.

As someone who got their CCNA, (before they revised it earlier this year) I sort of wish that I'd taken Network+ simultaneously/instead of CCNA alone, simply as someone who didn't have previous tech/tech support experience previously.

I might simply just not be looking at jobs that are more Cisco-centric so far as experience/skills go, they've tended to lean quite hard more towards the Comptia-branded certs instead where I am, or it's been suggested that CCNA isn't exactly an entry-level cert to begin with.

TL;DR, Have CCENT/CCNA, more recently A+, undecided if I should have taken N+ first to begin with.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

~820, they gave me like no encryption questions which probably contributed to it, and two of the pbqs where literally the same ones posted on a site I was practicing pbqs on.

Great job! And what site was that?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Otis Reddit posted:

Great job! And what site was that?

https://passcomptia.com/comptia-security/comptia-security-simulation-1/

There where like three simulations ripped from the exam here. Wasn't really expecting that to be honest, I just wanted more PBQ's to get comfortable with and didn't feel like paying more.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 27, 2020

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Defenestrategy posted:

https://passcomptia.com/comptia-security/comptia-security-simulation-1/

There where like three simulations ripped from the exam here. Wasn't really expecting that to be honest, I just wanted more PBQ's to get comfortable with and didn't feel like paying more.

Congrats dude.

Had this one when I did mine 2 years ago. Shame my study materials (Dion Udemy, Gibson GCGA) didn't have it. Still passed though so can't complain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Question for WGU folks: has anyone successfully enrolled without providing previous college transcripts? I attended community college for computer network systems engineering in the early 2000s but I was young and stupid and I ended up failing most classes due to a lack of attendance. I think I had a 1.7GPA last I checked in 2014.

I have been employed at an MSP for almost 8 years now, currently in the top position of Senior Network Engineer after rising through the ranks from tier 1 support desk. I have a grandfathered Network+ cert from 2003 and an expired A+ cert from 2013 but have not spent any time updating them or getting new certs. Most of my time these days is spent on projects, moving on-prem systems into the cloud, network equipment configuration and deployment, lots of active directory work, and general network troubleshooting/support. As of late I have participated in quite a few crypto-malware remediation and recovery situations and I have developed a great interest in network/cloud security, I think I'd like to try enrolling in the Cybersecurity and Information Assurance – B.S. program at WGU and was hoping there are fellow goons out there who have successfully enrolled while having a similarly lovely previous college experience.

My company reimburses 100% of all tuition costs and they pay for cert testing up to $10k per year so long as I stay with the company for 1 year after completing the classes, we also have free LinkedIn Learning access I could use at any time. Ideally I'd use the degree and accompanying certs to move into a full WFH position with a new company but I could also use it as leverage for creation of a new cloud/security position with higher pay at my current place, as I am mostly WFH already.

Would I be better served just getting the same certs from that program on my own time? It would be nice to finally get a B.S. degree, though.