Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I could never get into nethack for the same reason. I really like adom and angband though.

My favorite ascii game still has to be dwarf fortress. I have been on that grind since I was in high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I have bounced hard off of dwarf fortress several times. I would've definitely loved it if I'd been able to play it as a kid, but as an adult I don't want to spend that kind of time learning a game's systems/controls/etc, and my experience shows there's no "just muddle around and have fun" way to start out like there is with nethack/moria

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
dwarf fortress is one of those games that’s way more fun to read war stories from than to actually play

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Achmed Jones posted:

I have bounced hard off of dwarf fortress several times. I would've definitely loved it if I'd been able to play it as a kid, but as an adult I don't want to spend that kind of time learning a game's systems/controls/etc, and my experience shows there's no "just muddle around and have fun" way to start out like there is with nethack/moria
aye i’m a tiles nethack kind of guy lol

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
currently playing steamworld heist after having owned it for literally years.

it's good!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Zam Wesell posted:

currently playing steamworld heist after having owned it for literally years.

it's good!
it’s a rock solid game. dlc is unnecessary but the new character is fun. steamworld dig 2 is v good also

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

I've given nethack a shot a few different times and I can consistently get to the end of sokoban and get crushed in the last room 9/10 times. On the 10th time, I'll go on to beef it in minetown.

It may not help that I pretty much only play wizards. I'm usually trying for magicbane but can never seem to pull it off when I find a coaligned altar

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Uptime Sinclair posted:

it’s a rock solid game. dlc is unnecessary but the new character is fun. steamworld dig 2 is v good also

nice. was gonna pick up the DLC, turns out I already have it! will probably run into the character eventually, then

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Asleep Style posted:

I've given nethack a shot a few different times and I can consistently get to the end of sokoban and get crushed in the last room 9/10 times. On the 10th time, I'll go on to beef it in minetown.

It may not help that I pretty much only play wizards. I'm usually trying for magicbane but can never seem to pull it off when I find a coaligned altar
it is one of those games where it absolutely does not hold your hand but certain basic tips save hours like never eat kobold meat, always save slime mold corpses, etc. wizards are good if you know those kind of ropes but otherwise are frustrating

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Zam Wesell posted:

nice. was gonna pick up the DLC, turns out I already have it! will probably run into the character eventually, then
it’s fine if you already have it but not really enough to boost the core game if you don’t. but it’s a very good 2D x-com like as it is. great core gameplay loop

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
doom rl is :discourse:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

hmm gently caress, yes it is. not so available anymore but it is a very good roguelike.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

it’s even great without tiles! but iirc the spelunky guy did some tiles set for it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I can never tell wtf is going on with tiles. ascii is so much clearer imo; tangledeep is the first game with a legitimate nethack feel where I felt that the graphics added to things instead of making them more confusing. but the tile sets I've tried were always too small and color coded (I'm colorblind). I'm sure good ones exist though

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I beat adom but wouldnt recommend it.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

I beat adom but wouldnt recommend it.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I could never get into nethack for the same reason. I really like adom and angband though.

My favorite ascii game still has to be dwarf fortress. I have been on that grind since I was in high school.
I've tried a whole bunch of roguelikes over the years but Angband is the only one I don't permanently bounce off after a few deaths. It seems a bit like its the Monopoly of roguelikes but it's kept me entertained for a few weeks each year since like 1998 or something.

If anyone wants to see LPs of all sorts of roguelikes, I found this pretty likeable dude while looking for cant-sleep fodder.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

this is gonna be a fun time, for people who like watching people play games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxaDvRA4Qas

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

Yeah I tried caves and first actual cave is incredibly hard for a starting stage in game, I cheesed a musket stealing everything in the starting village and still had to run away from everything to not get killed and stay in place for a while to regenerate hp, I've seen that late game is awesome but the beginning is a bit bullshit

e: been also playing some WH40k Mechanicus and this game is good, music slaps, no percentage per hits so my poor tactical skills are bashed by computer even harder than ever

RustyKnight fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 26, 2020

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

jesus WEP posted:

this is gonna be a fun time, for people who like watching people play games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxaDvRA4Qas

agreed. I wish he'd do more than just once a week.

I enjoyed the trick of having a vault-specific build, then changing at the elevator for the real build.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

dude runs himself into the ground working on his channel as it is and fo4yolo is probably the most intensive series he’s done in years, so i can understand why he’s only releasing them on sundays

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

dude runs himself into the ground working on his channel as it is and fo4yolo is probably the most intensive series he’s done in years, so i can understand why he’s only releasing them on sundays

just looks like a poor-mans pete complete to me.

been playing some GW:ED again, retroarch really is a nice solution to the whole emulation dealio.

https://twitter.com/GarbageDotNet/status/1320815964875673600

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
not sure if I want to finish obra dinn, only IDed like 9 people and I don't know if I want to do all 60 to figure out whatever the "bargain" is

I had this issue with baba is you after I figured out what the deal was with that too

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i gave up baba but finished obra dinn. the latter might not grip you fully yet, but as the story kicks in a bit it gets a bit more fulfilling to keep id'ing the people.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
:siren: new zachtronics :siren:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/971160/Mbius_Front_83/

looks like a turn based strategy game which is pretty different for them. fingers crossed.

e:trailer's up on yt now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivN7txHWoOI

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 27, 2020

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

dragon enthusiast posted:

not sure if I want to finish obra dinn, only IDed like 9 people and I don't know if I want to do all 60 to figure out whatever the "bargain" is

I had this issue with baba is you after I figured out what the deal was with that too

I just clocked obra dinn earlier this week, the first half of the fates are significantly slower to resolve than the second half. If you're really not enjoying it the gameplay doesn't change, but for me there was a real satisfying feeling spotting someone in the background of another memory and suddenly solving three new fates

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

looks like a turn based strategy game which is pretty different for them. fingers crossed.
this looks cool

I like zachtronics games a lot but they really feel like they’re tickling the exact same bit of my brain that work does. if i didn’t gently caress computer for a living I’d probably play them a whole lot more

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
yeah same. this kinda looks like advance wars with hexes or even battletech a bit. they're instabuys for me anyway.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
extremely my poo poo

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

e:trailer's up on yt now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivN7txHWoOI

i dig the reagan voice acting they got going on

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
getting strong panzer general vibes here

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

for spooky season think i’ll finally try to pick alien: isolation back up and finish it, or try some of the dlcs i guess

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

if you have a VR hat please do it in VR and film yourself

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think I've got one somewhere.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

i will probably never have a vr hat because–

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I think I've got one somewhere.

well never say never i suppose

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

oh yeah there’s also re7. i kind bounced off once i got out of the main house for the first time

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
RE7 is also playable in a VR hat

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

get a vr it’s fun

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

maybe in a few years, when my kid is older and can enjoy it too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

oh i... i accidentally killed all the scientologists in fallout 4 with FUN. well, THE SILVER SHROUD did but vOv

it was god's will, and also mine