Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

btw with regards to that idiotic Kavanagh opinion that any votes counted after 11:59 PM on election day being illegitimate -

it has no basis in reality or history or law and literally no election has ever been decided entirely on election day.

He's citing such a ridiculous opinion because the GOP is full of petty people who love wielding power with impunity, and they're saying that this is how they're going to steal the election.

It's going to take a lot longer than 11/3 for Michigan, PA, and Wisconsin to count all the mail-in votes. PA SoS said Friday is the best target.

Since those are all pivotal states, they're going to get the chud in-person votes tallied by end of night and get a supreme court decision to throw out any mail-in (ie, heavily Democratic) votes that weren't counted by end of day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

The_Franz posted:

it's going to be pretty funny if, considering the elaborate system of checks and balances, rules of succession and so forth, what ultimately ends up being the beginning of the end for the us government is an 87 year old cancer patient dying of natural causes

The law only matters if the people in charge care to enforce it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The law only matters if the people in charge care to enforce it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

btw with regards to that idiotic Kavanagh opinion that any votes counted after 11:59 PM on election day being illegitimate -

it has no basis in reality or history or law and literally no election has ever been decided entirely on election day.

He's citing such a ridiculous opinion because the GOP is full of petty people who love wielding power with impunity, and they're saying that this is how they're going to steal the election.

It's going to take a lot longer than 11/3 for Michigan, PA, and Wisconsin to count all the mail-in votes. PA SoS said Friday is the best target.

Since those are all pivotal states, they're going to get the chud in-person votes tallied by end of night and get a supreme court decision to throw out any mail-in (ie, heavily Democratic) votes that weren't counted by end of day.

i can't think of a better way for them to completely delegitimize themselves and the federal gov't but that's their ultimate end goal anyways so welp

man it must be nice having absolutely no morals beyond worshiping the god of entropy. you win no matter what

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

tbh I'm still not sure what the gop's end goal is because authoritarian control of a nation that's mostly corpses is kind of a loss overall

at least if they were going full ham and goading out a nuclear war that would fit with the whole return of christendom to the holy land book of revelations poo poo the evangelical fundamentalists are into but like at this rate by the time they could pull that off there won't be anyone left to nuke

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

tbh I'm still not sure what the gop's end goal is because authoritarian control of a nation that's mostly corpses is kind of a loss overall

at least if they were going full ham and goading out a nuclear war that would fit with the whole return of christendom to the holy land book of revelations poo poo the evangelical fundamentalists are into but like at this rate by the time they could pull that off there won't be anyone left to nuke

capitalism means number go up regardless of human cost

that’s all it is, that’s all that matters to them

Apr 7, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i can't think of a better way for them to completely delegitimize themselves and the federal gov't but that's their ultimate end goal anyways so welp

man it must be nice having absolutely no morals beyond worshiping the god of entropy. you win no matter what

Yeah, their legitimacy literally does not matter at this point and they know it

Look at the confirmation ceremony, it was the new justice and a bunch of Republicans on the White House balcony. They usually don't do that sort of thing to preserve the appearance of independent branches of government.

They've got a third of Americans who believe politics are 100% culture war and will support anything the Republicans say or do no matter how unfair or heinous, they've got control of the judiciary, and they have control of the Senate since you can hold a majority with ~17% of the US's population and that is only going to get worse.

Sitting Republicans have been floating a message of how democracy is actually bad for a few months for a reason, their legitimacy no longer matters and they'll say they had to steal the election to save America from the "leftist mob."

Apr 7, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

You're talking about petty spiteful people who live for petty spiteful exercises of power

They'll do it for the same reason they put forward two clearly unqualified justices, because 'gently caress you'.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Yeah, their legitimacy literally does not matter at this point and they know it

Look at the confirmation ceremony, it was the new justice and a bunch of Republicans on the White House balcony. They usually don't do that sort of thing to preserve the appearance of independent branches of government.

They've got a third of Americans who believe politics are 100% culture war and will support anything the Republicans say or do no matter how unfair or heinous, they've got control of the judiciary, and they have control of the Senate since you can hold a majority with ~17% of the US's population and that is only going to get worse.

Sitting Republicans have been floating a message of how democracy is actually bad for a few months for a reason, their legitimacy no longer matters and they'll say they had to steal the election to save America from the "leftist mob."

they’ll claim they’re stealing it to keep the dems and then”Far Left” from stealing it

Apr 7, 2003

They're reactionaries, they'd rather rule over a pile of corpses than share the future with anyone else.

I live in a neighborhood that was dying until latino immigration started being a thing here, and there's still a very vocal group of people here who are convinced immigration was the worst thing to ever happen and would rather the neighborhood collapse into the underbrush before they let anyone else inherit it.

That's just a local reflection of what is happening to this country on a national scale.

Apr 7, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

they’ll claim they’re stealing it to keep the dems and then”Far Left” from stealing it

Yeah, and they've been telegraphing it for a while, they ALWAYS say what they're going to do either via projection or by flat out saying what they're going to do ala today's Kavanagh opinion.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kazinsal posted:

It is a win for them. it's a death cult. Literally. loving literally. they crave the end times. 30% of them honestly UNIRONICALLY believe if they die they will go play a harp with grandpa jim and their teenage son that drunk drove a mustang into a train in '77. 70% of them believe in nothing but as long as they can watch some libs die before they die themselves, they'll die happy. because the system failed them whether or not they're lovely racists, nobody has anything, there is zero hope, there is zero optimism available, and we have no way to deal with that in a secular capitalist-industrial-startup economy than to try to kill our competitors before we die.

we are dealing with literal murder psychos that have managed to obtain control of the USS US and intend to drive it flank speed into a reef because the explosion will look cool. they do not value life. they do not value their own. they DEFINITELY don't value yours or mine.

I know this sounds like hyperbole but anybody on the right has such a cartoonishly cheap valuation of a human life that they must be considered as armed, violent, and unstable aggressors. Minecraft analogy here.

I didn't want my adult life to be this difficult, either. But we're here. so.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jonny 290 posted:

It is a win for them. it's a death cult. Literally. loving literally.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jonny 290 posted:

It is a win for them. it's a death cult. Literally. loving literally. they crave the end times. 30% of them honestly UNIRONICALLY believe if they die they will go play a harp with grandpa jim and their teenage son that drunk drove a mustang into a train in '77. 70% of them believe in nothing but as long as they can watch some libs die before they die themselves, they'll die happy. because the system failed them whether or not they're lovely racists, nobody has anything, there is zero hope, there is zero optimism available, and we have no way to deal with that in a secular capitalist-industrial-startup economy than to try to kill our competitors before we die.

we are dealing with literal murder psychos that have managed to obtain control of the USS US and intend to drive it flank speed into a reef because the explosion will look cool. they do not value life. they do not value their own. they DEFINITELY don't value yours or mine.

I know this sounds like hyperbole but anybody on the right has such a cartoonishly cheap valuation of a human life that they must be considered as armed, violent, and unstable aggressors. Minecraft analogy here.

You didn't want your adult life to be this difficult, but you were born into this world. Poor choice in hindsight, no?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

endlessmonotony posted:

You didn't want your adult life to be this difficult, but you were born into this world. Poor choice in hindsight, no?

I was a wedlock baby born to a 19 year old catholic mom that got drunk at a christmas party and hosed my dad, and have often vocalized how i wish my mom had made a different decision, but it was so far out of consideration for her that it's not really worth dwelling over

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jonny 290 posted:

I was a wedlock baby born to a 19 year old catholic mom that got drunk at a christmas party and hosed my dad, and have often vocalized how i wish my mom had made a different decision, but it was so far out of consideration for her that it's not really worth dwelling over

My family is a buncha nutjobs and I was born in a way that was gonna give me a "normal" childhood only to totally gently caress up my body as soon as it stopped growing.

Anyone have a link for the bug tracker for this project?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

premarital sex is a sin

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
do sins hail satan

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

infernal machines posted:

can i rent one of your many outbuildings?

i'm from a commonwealth nation, not one of these filthy americans

the door is shut.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

occupancy of one of my many comfortable sheds is not a critical purpose for travel.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
honestly my gut feeling at this point is that the procedural fuckery won't matter because biden will be winning on election night

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

bob dobbs is dead posted:

do sins hail satan

If an omnipotent and omniscient being found this world to be the best they could do, I find a natural ally in anyone opposing such a despicable being.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

premarital sex is a sin

not a mortal sin in The Church as long as you're hitched by birthin' time. At least that's what the priest that married my parents (and subsequently went to prison for child molestation) said!

My mom stayed together with my dad (and they hated each other) until the week my brother graduated and went to college, and she announced her divorce paper filing and her "conversion" to UU on the same day. Thanks for dragging me through eighteen years of horror and, uh, some things i won't talk about here, Mom.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

oh poo poo we popped out a kid like a year before the deed because weddings are expensive but oh well

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

occupancy of one of my many comfortable sheds is not a critical purpose for travel.

it's fine, i just need to engineer an emergency that only i can resolve, in new zeland.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
be gay do satan

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

infernal machines posted:

it's fine, i just need to engineer an emergency that only i can resolve, in new zeland.

you mean you need to programmer an emergency

Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

Another yosposter was talking about how once things start collapsing the Republicans will just have to do something with regards to relief or be swept from power.

Nice poster but I don't think they know any Republicans. If you're unemployed and homeless it's your fault, because God hates you and/or you're a weakling, and they will spend a million dollars to drop a bomb on your head over ever giving you one red cent in relief money.

We are teetering on the edge of a single party authoritarian state and that state no longer needs to worry about bread and circuses for the majority. They have a third of America horned up to play weekend brownshirt. They have a panopticon, they have a highly targeted system to apply violence, and they have an utter lack of empathy for anyone who isn't them.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

we have the gayest parliament in the world apparently. you could engineer something around that?

Apr 7, 2003

Like, things have been collapsing all loving year and they just shrugged and went on vacation after voting a theocrat to the bench. We're the fortunate ones, the people who actually do real work are going to be eating poo poo real soon if they aren't already. There is no further aid coming and the official position of our government is "let god sort them out."

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

kitten emergency posted:

honestly my gut feeling at this point is that the procedural fuckery won't matter because biden will be winning on election night

my gut feeling is the opposite of this. we'll see.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Another yosposter was talking about how once things start collapsing the Republicans will just have to do something with regards to relief or be swept from power.

Nice poster but I don't think they know any Republicans. If you're unemployed and homeless it's your fault, because God hates you and/or you're a weakling, and they will spend a million dollars to drop a bomb on your head over ever giving you one red cent in relief money.

We are teetering on the edge of a single party authoritarian state and that state no longer needs to worry about bread and circuses for the majority. They have a third of America horned up to play weekend brownshirt. They have a panopticon, they have a highly targeted system to apply violence, and they have an utter lack of empathy for anyone who isn't them.

ahh the got mine gently caress you system.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

fart simpson posted:

Apr 7, 2003

kitten emergency posted:

Read Kavanagh's opinion, he's telling everyone exactly what's going to happen.

If the absentee ballots aren't counted by 11:59 PM on Tuesday night, they won't be counted.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

fart simpson posted:

yeah, i mean, i could be wrong but i think the thing most people miss is that most people loving hate donald trump and that the only reason he won last time was because millions of nominal republicans didn't think he could actually be that bad. those people have been cooped up in their pleasant suburban homes for the past seven months becoming increasingly bitter and realizing that yes, he could indeed be that bad.

people are loving tired of politics.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Kazinsal posted:

nah, the fundies are just as hypocritical and ideologically bankrupt as anyone else on the right. they don’t want annihilation, they want oligarchy and continued cultural hegemony.

Apr 7, 2003

kitten emergency posted:

yeah, i mean, i could be wrong but i think the thing most people miss is that most people loving hate donald trump and that the only reason he won last time was because millions of nominal republicans didn't think he could actually be that bad. those people have been cooped up in their pleasant suburban homes for the past seven months becoming increasingly bitter and realizing that yes, he could indeed be that bad.

Can't believe the democratic governors did that to them. Time to use your second amendment and liberate Michigan/Virginia!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Can't believe the democratic governors did that to them. Time to use your second amendment and liberate Michigan/Virginia!

most people aren't like this

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

kitten emergency posted:

trump has 90+% approval among republicans, and a good ~45% or so overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

fart simpson posted:

trump has 90+% approval among republicans, and a good ~45% or so overall

the people that voted for trump in 2016 aren't claiming to be republicans any more.