Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So the NCR is a clear copy of 21st Century USA, right down to having female soldiers. The explicit goal of the faction is to copy the US.

But Fallout USA did not reach 21st Century IRL USA standards. Whatever the problems of the real USA, Fallout USA was worse and degenerated into a fascist dictatorship in the 50s. The Enclave is supposed to be the true inheritors of the Fallout USA.

So how are the NCR emulating a United States that did not exist for them?

EDIT:

Apparently women were in the US military longer than I realized. Also the NCR had a female president before we did. Maybe it's not supposed to be explicitly 1st Century USA.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

NikkolasKing posted:

having female soldiers

What if NCR is actually the Soviet Union?

The Mojave is the Baltics or something also???

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
lol.

'most of the population is dead and we better hamstring ourselves even more by denying women the right to serve in the ncr.' --tandi, first female president of the ncr, explaining her expansionist policies

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
What do you guys think is the population of the NCR in 2281 anyways?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I freely admit i didn't make the best arguments but having grown up in the 2000s, the Mojave feels more like the War in Iraq and the War on Terror than anything and pretty sure that was intentional.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

NikkolasKing posted:

Apparently women were in the US military longer than I realized. Also the NCR had a female president before we did. Maybe it's not supposed to be explicitly 1st Century USA.

Is it stated anywhere that it is a carbon copy of pre-war US institutions? And also does the lore deal with how the pre-war US was organized? Even as it slid into dictatorship it could have kept its old form of government but controlled by one party - or by multiple parties that maintained a sham democracy while suppressing any real alternatives.

The NCR makes sense as something that evolved organically in the way we saw in Fallout 2, as a loose confederacy of various city states with Shady Sands as the centre, but not strong enough to impose its will on the rest, or even on the class of rich ranchers and industrialists that formed as it grew, so naturally it had to evolve into some kind of pluralistic polity that maintained a fragile consensus.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Less than a million maybe in the 100,000's. Even if we assume there's supposed to be way more people in new vegas than is shown in game. I don't think theres that many people, most of which are probably clustered in vault city, shady sands, and Sam Francisco.

I can't remember what happened to la after one?

Edit. I think you might be projecting the wars that happened in your life a little too much into the game. The NCR takes inspiration from a number of sources. One of the propaganda posters is literally a parody of a wwI poster. If anything the NCR resembles the earlier expansionist usa than the contemporaneous one. The relentless drive for territory and resources being more similar to the age of grover cleveland than george bush.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 26, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think it was something in Fallout 2 where an NCR propaganda poster said that NCR had 700,000 members and counting. Granted that could easily be hyperbole but I can see it being possible that close to a million people live on the west coast by 2281.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Congress was still apparently important(-ish, the Enclave discarded them immediately as the nukes launched), but the Supreme Court building doesn't exist.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If the NCR controls all of California with enough resources to maintain a large expeditionary force in Mojave and also staff multiple big projects (Hoover Dam with all the engineers needed to fix it, the prison and the quarries to build a road to Vegas, Helios...) with all the logistical support running from the coast into the desert, not to mention the industries required at home to support the logistical network in the first place - I think well over a million is a safe bet. There's a lot of specialization in the NCR characters we see in the game that wouldn't be possible in a small scattered population. Personally I'd say even multiple million overall would sound more reasonable to keep it all running in absence of modern transportation, computers etc., but that is unlikely for thematic / narrative reasons.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 26, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Mojave expedition did stretch the Republic to its limits, in manpower, in public support, and in resources.

Does the NCR control all of modern California? They conquered the Baja, but I don't know if there's been any reference to how far north they've gone. That's a lot of territory. Sure, generally you'd be more likely to expand up north along the arable land into areas that aren't inhospitable deserts, but people in Fallout sure like living in deserts.

Imagine the water merchants trying to ply their trade in Portland where it keeps raining all the time.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Five million citizens

Norwegian California Republic

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Imagine the water merchants trying to ply their trade in Portland where it keeps raining all the time.

This is Fallout. Portland rain would probably cause radioactive murder plants.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Reminder that LA to Nipton is only like a 4 hour drive, and LV is like 1-2 hours more. Plus there are a bunch of train tracks already there (though in our timeline they’re mostly derelict because trains are a scourge on the populace)

Edit: misremembered, the actual times are way shorter than I originally put

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arcsquad12 posted:

This is Fallout. Portland rain would probably cause radioactive murder plants.

Close...

The Rain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA66U34zM6c

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Mojave expedition did stretch the Republic to its limits, in manpower, in public support, and in resources.

Does the NCR control all of modern California? They conquered the Baja, but I don't know if there's been any reference to how far north they've gone. That's a lot of territory. Sure, generally you'd be more likely to expand up north along the arable land into areas that aren't inhospitable deserts, but people in Fallout sure like living in deserts.

NCR hasnt entirely conquered Baja California I think, if they've even claimed much of it at all

Arroyo and Klamath are basically in southern Oregon I believe and within NCR territory in some capacity

both kind of operate as the other frontiers for the republic is how i imagine it

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I was curious about Arroyo bc the standard ending has it using the GECK to start a shake and bake settlement ala Vault City, but apparently it’s not part of the Big Circle trade route so we don’t hear about it, iirc

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ya know, Sawyer said something like "For the millionth time, Yes Man won't betray you."

But everybody mistrusting Yes Man makes perfect sense if you listen to a single line he says. Every line he delivers is overflowing with a mockingly insincere tone and sycophancy. My favorite is when you destroy the Securitron Army and he so desperately wants to call you a loving moron, to keep reminding you of how dumb that was, but he can't so gives you backhanded compliments and the like.

I wouldn't trust that smiling shitbag, either.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Basic Chunnel posted:

I was curious about Arroyo bc the standard ending has it using the GECK to start a shake and bake settlement ala Vault City, but apparently it’s not part of the Big Circle trade route so we don’t hear about it, iirc

Emily Ortal in Vegas grew up in Arroyo before joining the followers. It's definitely NCR territory.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Emily Ortal is as good in programming as much as she sucks in choosing a man to date.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

NikkolasKing posted:

Ya know, Sawyer said something like "For the millionth time, Yes Man won't betray you."

But everybody mistrusting Yes Man makes perfect sense if you listen to a single line he says. Every line he delivers is overflowing with a mockingly insincere tone and sycophancy. My favorite is when you destroy the Securitron Army and he so desperately wants to call you a loving moron, to keep reminding you of how dumb that was, but he can't so gives you backhanded compliments and the like.

If he doesn't have "Betray You" in their programming there isn't an issue.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

That's the usual problem with murdering to seize power, you get paranoid of the same being done to you.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My favourite line is when you tell him to ignore the Brotherhood of Steel. "Consider them forgotten! Along with all the projections that say they'll be our greatest enemy! Fooorrr-gotten!" I only just discovered that Yes Man is Dave Foley (by watching all of the credits for the first time), he's so great.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Among the other tales that rope kid spun, was his time nearly dying of thirst in Zion natl. park and how originally, they ran into a bug at Hoover Dam when the Enclave Remnants landed at the final battle. Four power armored geezers would materialize and join the fight, then a (usually headless) nude corpse would spawn in the air and ragdoll to the ground. Turns out if you couldn't convince Orion Moreno to join the fight and subsequently killed him, the script for the final battle neglected to confirm he was alive.

Somebody in the chat called it "Cannibal Johnson's in-flight meal", which was pretty good

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

steinrokkan posted:

Is it stated anywhere that it is a carbon copy of pre-war US institutions?

up to the point where Fallout's timeline diverged -- in the 60s, roughly 1964 -- it is the same, yes. After that? Very explicitly not a copy.

so it depends on how you define pre-war US institutions :v:

NikkolasKing posted:

Any parallels post-1964 are just the unfortunate reality of living in worst timeline.

Psion fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 27, 2020

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

NikkolasKing posted:

Sorry baby, death of the author. Yes Man's proclamation that his new code will make him more assertive after he spends some time offline installing it would have made perfect sense in a post-game where eventually he'd just run out of stuff to say to you, but because the credits role afterwards it's officially ambiguous.

Semi-related, I like House's aside in the ending about how he's going to make the monorails run on time

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The only reason I say anything at all is because people haven't stopped hyperventilating about it in 10 years. My/John's intentions don't matter, but it's really tiresome.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

oh, forgot I grabbed this quick snip on my last playthrough that made me giggle like a madman. Using Radio New Vegas Extended is a must.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cdZ4sCb8nQ

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

rope kid posted:

Not only was Yes Man going to betray you, he was originally the same character as Benny and Ulysses. The character was only split up because of VA scheduling issues and because the romance logic got too complicated.

Well there you have it, word of god.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 27, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yes Man will obey the player's every order for 50-70 years until they die and then his reign of terror will begin.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yes Man will obey the player's every order for 50-70 years until they die and then his reign of terror will begin.

You're assuming the courier doesn't spend every second of the next fifty years finding out how to load himself into the house pod.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gaius Marius posted:

You're assuming the courier doesn't spend every second of the next fifty years finding out how to load himself into the house pod.

Didn't work out too well for House.

Besides, giving The Followers the pod to take it apart and figure out the tech would probably add a few years to your own life as well as a lot of other people.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Anyone know how long it will be until Fallout: The Frontier gets released? Just found out today it'll be getting a Steam release.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

House didn't have an entire army of upgraded securitrons and the knowledge to never open the lucky 38's doors.

Also don't give the followers anything. Followers led to the legion and the khans pushing chems, everything they touch turns to poo poo.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Max Wilco posted:

Anyone know how long it will be until Fallout: The Frontier gets released? Just found out today it'll be getting a Steam release.

Hard to say. They've been saying it's "almost done" for a while now, and from the trailers and screenshots they've released it's clearly in a high level of completion. But at this time last year I would have told you it'd be done within six months, so :shrug:

e: Speaking of trailers, here's one they just came out with today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycsBbkXWljE

e: And another from two weeks ago that gives numbers to just how ludicrously big this thing is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMPtQ7jCCPI

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 27, 2020

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I just found out that if you have Arcade with you while doing ED-E My Love, you get a dialog option with him once the Brotherhood and Followers call you. You can ask him which faction to give ED-E and he responds exactly how you'd expect him to. :allears:

Game-related question, but is it possible to take a temporary SPECIAL-boosting item right before you level up to pass the requirement to get certain perks, or does the game only care about your baseline SPECIAL?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

amigolupus posted:

Game-related question, but is it possible to take a temporary SPECIAL-boosting item right before you level up to pass the requirement to get certain perks, or does the game only care about your baseline SPECIAL?

Baseline SPECIAL only. (And the Agility boost from the Small Frame trait, and any implants you've purchased)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I think I remember hearing that Four Eyes is a trap because it actually lowers your base perception by 1, which counts for perk eligibility, but the +2 from wearing glasses does not.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think I remember hearing that Four Eyes is a trap because it actually lowers your base perception by 1, which counts for perk eligibility, but the +2 from wearing glasses does not.

That's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

What traits do y'all like to take? There's a few that seem so much stronger than the other ones. It could be interesting to select your two traits at random and then design a character around that. Here's the traits I generally take:

Usually:
Built to Destroy: A 3% higher critical rate is a nice boost with non-automatic guns, especially energy weapons. Using Paciencia or the Q-35 with the Better Criticals perk, it'll increase your DPS by 14%!
Fast Shot: Paradoxically really good with sniper rifles and shotguns, because it barely decreases their accuracy and the faster shooting is a great bonus.
Good Natured: I usually only have one weapon class of choice, so this is like 20 extra skill points.
Trigger Discipline: Useful with all automatic weapons because it doesn't reduce their rate of fire at all, and the extra accuracy is a big help.

Sometimes:
Hoarder: Extra carry weight is nice, especially on Hardcore - I'll often find myself with 160 pounds of food and ammo.
Logan's Loophole: Chems are really good, and making Stealth Boy, Turbo, and Stimpaks last longer is great. If I don't play the DLCs, my character might not even reach level 30.
Skilled: I find that levelling up faster is more useful than the 85 skill points from Skilled. I would take this for a more well-rounded peaceful character.
Small Frame: If my build really needs 1 more point of Agility to get all the perks I want, I might take this.
Wild Wasteland: This perk is just fun, and especially goes well with a low-Intelligence character.

Maybe:
Heavy Handed: This increases DPS significantly with automatic melee weapons like the Thermic Lance, Chainsaw, and Industrial Hand. Not useful with other melee weapons.
Hot Blooded: Could be interesting with a low-health character using Ferocious Loyalty and maybe even Nerd Rage.
Kamikaze: +10 AP is not a lot, and -2 Damage Threshold is a lot in the early game. Could be useful for a melee/unarmed build because those attacks get double damage in VATS.

Never:
Claustrophobia: The bonus while outside just isn't worth the tradeoff while inside. You could take an actually useful perk instead.
Early Bird: I suppose I could play a character who actually goes to bed every night. Seems tedious, though.
Four Eyes: This penalizes your perception permanently and makes it harder to take great perks like Light Step and Better Criticals.
Loose Cannon: Throwing spears and grenades quicker, at shorter range, is not worth it. If you want to use throwing weapons, take Built To Destroy.