Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

MF_James posted:

oh ho ho Dayforce, they are an interesting bunch.

I worked closely with one of their implementation folks to do a rollout for a fortune 100 (maybe 500 now) company and let me tell you, their backend to configure the application is awful, among other things I've drank to forget.

They phased out Silverlight, at least... this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

Windows 10 is totally hosed for my location somehow - using any Windows app or Edge seems to think I'm in North Carolina instead of the UK, Chrome works fine. This means that the weather app is wrong, auto timezone is wrong etc.

I haven't changed anything about my network recently, my IP address correctly geolocates. Really struggling to figure out wtf is going on.

Edit: Turn the Wi-Fi off and it's working again, very weird.
Windows 10's location feature uses WiFi triangulation similarly to how older phones and tablets without GPS can still get your rough location. More likely than not if you look up the local APs on one of the major WiFi location databases you'll see one come up as North Carolina.

The Location settings panel lets you just tell the computer where you are or disable location services altogether, depending on which one you'd prefer.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
nah, it uses your ISPs location to figure it out

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

redeyes posted:

nah, it uses your ISPs location to figure it out

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-location-service-and-privacy-3a8eee0a-5b0b-dc07-eede-2a5ca1c49088

quote:

When the device location setting is enabled, the Microsoft location service will use a combination of global positioning service (GPS), nearby wireless access points, cell towers, and your IP address to determine your device’s location.

It uses all location information available to it, which is why Thanks Ants stops experiencing the problem when they disable WiFi. WiFi AP location data is usually better than attempting to geolocate via IP address, so obviously it'd prefer that when available. If the computer was equipped with a GPS or cellular modem it'd probably work fine even with the faulty WiFi data because those sources would be presumably even higher priority.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Workday is the supreme HR tool. I’m still pissed off my company switched to Oracle HR

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Switch....to Oracle?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Thanks Ants posted:

Switch....to Oracle?

“Strategic partnership” initiated. :honk:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Potato Salad posted:

I can't stop giggling over professional workplaces subscribing to ABO dynamics fanfiction.

I know of a relatively large organization that not only has everyone take Meyers-Briggs, they print their code out and put it on their office door or at their desk right under their name. In 2020.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:yikes:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How has that place not been sued into oblivion?

I guess it doesn't matter all that much because the validity of the meyers-briggs has been completely destroyed so it's not technically a privacy concern, but still, that's scummy as gently caress.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanatosian posted:

They phased out Silverlight, at least... this year.

Oh they finally did? That took them forever, when we were rolling it out for our client 5-6 years ago they were supposedly 1/4-1/2 through the re-write.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob, did this ticket that you closed on Friday with a note stating the resolution, get done?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

"WELL WE ARE WAITING FOR YOUR ANSWER BOB THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION" :argh:

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
deprecating a function requires a lot more work than just declaring "this is deprecated" in a trello comment! it's also not actually loving deprecated, you hack!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MF_James posted:

Oh they finally did? That took them forever, when we were rolling it out for our client 5-6 years ago they were supposedly 1/4-1/2 through the re-write.
Yeah, we kept getting tickets about "Dayforce takes forever to load," and the answer was always "use Chrome instead of Internet Explorer, unless you're using the functions that need Silverlight, in which case suck it up."

In fairness, the vast majority of people didn't use the functions that needed Silverlight most of the time (it was only payroll approvers that needed it).

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We launched our new website 8 months ago. I am still getting requests to put in URL redirects because the old address was published in some document or contract proposal and can't be changed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Fool posted:

We launched our new website 8 months ago. I am still getting requests to put in URL redirects because the old address was published in some document or contract proposal and can't be changed.

If you don't have every possible URL from your old site in your .htaccess file....

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

If you don't have every possible URL from your old site in your .htaccess file....

We presented that as an option in the beginning, they decided they only needed about a dozen URL’s redirected at the time.

The list is up to 180 now.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Anyone have any experience getting Google to remove or modify those little panels that pop up when you google for "CompanyName Support" or whatever?

We're getting an ever-increasing number of people calling the wrong line for their product, and when we investigated, the reason is usually "I just googled for the number and called it".

It'd be nice to direct them to the right selector page or at least to our most generic number (to get them into the IVR) instead of whatever the gently caress Google decided was the appropriate thing to put up on their page.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My guess is that you'll want to claim your business through Google and then make the necessary changes.

https://support.google.com/business/answer/2911778?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My guess is that the business is already claimed, but is registered under the personal address of someone that no longer works there.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My guess is that it's loving marketing. gently caress marketing.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Any business that interacts with the public really should at minimum claim their business listing on both Google My Business and Apple Maps Connect. This will allow you to control the data that both Google and Apple users see when they search for your business. It also affects the information the respective digital assistants give out.

We used to have a major problem with customers calling our corp office instead of our store locations. Siri and Google assistant would happily give out our corp office number anytime you searched for our store locations. After we claimed all the store locations, then also claimed our corp. office location and changed its name, the erroneous calls pretty much stopped within weeks.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I had to go through this earlier this year and it was a pain in the rear end that involved Google mailing me a literal postcard as part of the process.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

stevewm posted:

Any business that interacts with the public really should at minimum claim their business listing on both Google My Business and Apple Maps Connect. This will allow you to control the data that both Google and Apple users see when they search for your business. It also affects the information the respective digital assistants give out.

We used to have a major problem with customers calling our corp office instead of our store locations. Siri and Google assistant would happily give out our corp office number anytime you searched for our store locations. After we claimed all the store locations, then also claimed our corp. office location and changed its name, the erroneous calls pretty much stopped within weeks.
At one point our customers kept calling our IT direct-dial extension (rang every phone in the department, we're an internal, non-customer-facing IT department) and we couldn't figure out why, they kept saying they just told Siri to call us and this was the number it called. Couldn't find the wrong number on our website until I talked to one of the dudes who called us who was nice enough to pull up the exact site Siri had pulled the number from.

Text of the number was correct, but the code of the number directed to our IT line (it was a tel:// link, think 455 instead of 466). I was very happy when I found that.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

I'd do another ERP implementation if I got paid enough.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN THIS COMPUTER SYSTEM WONT LET ME FORGE ALL MY poo poo

I liked doing the ERP implementation. The ERP is doing its job fine, and works as expected for those users that follow the procedures. The problem is about half my users don't do that, and they are supported by their local manager. The owner doesn't like telling people off, so there's nothing I can do about it unless making sure my rear end is covered when our inventory explodes because stuff gets ordered double or customers run away because they don't get their stuff. There's one thing I can do, and that I'm doing currently: getting the gently caress out of this shitshow.

In a similar vein:
- WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN'T INVOICE STUFF THAT WE HAVEN'T DELIVERED YET
- WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN'T STOP AN INVOICE FOR STUFF WE ALREADY DELIVERED
- WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN'T DELIVER STUFF IF WE DON'T HAVE STOCK, THE STOCK IS THERE ON THE SHELF
- WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE TO DO A GOODS RECEIPT IF STUFF COMES IN

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

My guess is that it's loving marketing. gently caress marketing.

Funny you say that, the main number for our hospital was wrong on that and guess who had put it in wrong/had to fix it!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

You know it just occurs to me that I've been working for over a year for a private company with no marketing department, and it's quite nice.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

sixth and maimed posted:

I liked doing the ERP implementation. The ERP is doing its job fine, and works as expected for those users that follow the procedures. The problem is about half my users don't do that, and they are supported by their local manager. The owner doesn't like telling people off, so there's nothing I can do about it unless making sure my rear end is covered when our inventory explodes because stuff gets ordered double or customers run away because they don't get their stuff. There's one thing I can do, and that I'm doing currently: getting the gently caress out of this shitshow.

In a similar vein:
- WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN'T INVOICE STUFF THAT WE HAVEN'T DELIVERED YET
- WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN'T STOP AN INVOICE FOR STUFF WE ALREADY DELIVERED
- WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN'T DELIVER STUFF IF WE DON'T HAVE STOCK, THE STOCK IS THERE ON THE SHELF
- WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE TO DO A GOODS RECEIPT IF STUFF COMES IN

We had sales people who would have warehouse staff put inventory on the shelf and not put it in the system so that only they could sell it because the other sales people didn't know it was in stock

Then we'd do line items for everything. credits, discounts, returns....nothing was tracked

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We don't have all of our services setup with generic emails like it@yourmom.com

Our cloud backup service goes to the IT director
And our SOC service goes to the IT manager

:haw:

Neither of those are important

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
My group got the 20H2 update for windows 10 because we are the testers for the company and we are having issues with it. Trying to google information just takes me to the most SEO laden pages which absolutely have no useful information on them.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

We had sales people who would have warehouse staff put inventory on the shelf and not put it in the system so that only they could sell it because the other sales people didn't know it was in stock

Then we'd do line items for everything. credits, discounts, returns....nothing was tracked

In our old system you could order or sell stuff through text lines. Ordering or selling a complete welding solution for €50000? I got you, fam! Then we changed that so that at least it was now a text line of the type article with a specification (welding, bearings, etc.). But we needed the FREEDOM, or so I was told. With the new system, we ditched that! Everything needs to an article. We also implemented 3-way matching between PO, goods receipt and invoice. So, the other day I found a PO with an article called "Order as specified in attachment".

Also, you need stock to deliver orders. So, you'd see that every time they need to deliver a certain quantity for an order, the stock is adjusted to just the amount needed to deliver. A week later for a different order, again. Etc.

Did I mention we want to show stock availability on our website?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We had people complain that we couldn't quote shipping accurately. Our shipping method is 'see how much you can fit in a box'

"You want us to weigh....every item?"

Also they wanted to print bill of ladings and all that poo poo the morning after they did truck shipments. Why not...when the truck gets here or before? Funny that the system won't let you do them the day after you've shipped stuff.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
"Please contact J*** and S***, they will review and make the call"

"ok i will contact J***"

i said "and"!!!!!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

You know it just occurs to me that I've been working for over a year for a private company with no marketing department, and it's quite nice.

Our marketing department is two of the CEO's sisters and his daughter. :smith:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Our marketing department is two of the CEO's sisters and his daughter. :smith:

As it should be!

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Aren't small companies great?

I'm primarily IT, but also part AP, AR (when the main AR person is out), credit card problem fixer, marketing (when it comes to technical poo poo like DPI, I also created the logo we use to this day), web developer, etc... In the 19 years I have been with the company I have done a little of just about every position, even delivery driver.

Though as we grow bigger those duties are starting to be seperated to their own staff. We are actually trying to hire a marketing person now, thankfully.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

stevewm posted:

We are actually trying to hire a marketing person now, thankfully.

Brave words.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

My old job went through a marketing manager/director every 6 months

The problem was the owners daughter was the marketing person....then she moved to sales. Sales works with marketing, she hated everything any marketing person ever did. So they'd fight and eventually fire the person. She basically wanted a glorified graphics designer, not anyone with any thought or creativity.

It was literally this Oatmeal comic: https://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We don't have a marketing department, we have a communications department.

Which, as far as I can tell, means that instead of selling the company's image to customers, they sell the company's image to it's employees.