Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

1990 MERCURY SABLE, ONLY 57,000KMS, COMPLETE NEW FRONT END, BRAKES, TIRES, RUSTPROOFED EVERY WINTER, STORED WINTERS, EXCELLENT SHAPE, ICE COLD A/C $3500 AS IS

HARD flashback to my parents early '90s Tempo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dad had a wagon 90 Sable. Factory ordered in amethyst. What a turd.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Hell yes.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
I love the red interiors of 90s Fords.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Rhyno posted:

Dad had a wagon 90 Sable. Factory ordered in amethyst. What a turd.

I have this hunch that however many wagons in that gen survive will be massive collector cars simply based on looks

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Nebakenezzer posted:

1990 MERCURY SABLE, ONLY 57,000KMS, COMPLETE NEW FRONT END, BRAKES, TIRES, RUSTPROOFED EVERY WINTER, STORED WINTERS, EXCELLENT SHAPE, ICE COLD A/C $3500 AS IS

HARD flashback to my parents early '90s Tempo

Oh poo poo. I've crossed over from the opinion that those looked awful to that they look kinda good, actually.It might be the C pillar glass.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Eh, the best of that body style will always be the 95 SHO.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Speaking of cool wagons, I’m pretty sure I see an AMC Eagle in the background of the fourth picture.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

StormDrain posted:

Oh poo poo. I've crossed over from the opinion that those looked awful to that they look kinda good, actually.It might be the C pillar glass.

When the Sable was a new model I remember thinking that it was really sleek and graceful.

When I look at these photos I can't really say I still think that.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Number_6 posted:

When the Sable was a new model I remember thinking that it was really sleek and graceful.

When I look at these photos I can't really say I still think that.

Ive read articles about the design and I totally get why it was such a shift and represents a new generation of cars.

On the other hand I was two when it came out, so it's all secondhand.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Didn't the entire grille on those things light up?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

wesleywillis posted:

Yes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

StormDrain posted:

Ive read articles about the design and I totally get why it was such a shift and represents a new generation of cars.

I was too young as well at the to understand or care, but looking back it really marks a clear transition to modern design.

Compare and contrast with what was the usual look at the time:

Even now, watching movies from the 80s, makes them feel much older because I always thought these cars had to be from the 60s-70s (which to some degree they were).

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

Indeed:

We had an '89 Sable. It was a good car.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Those bulbs burned out super fast.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Yup. We had an 86 and were always getting high beam flashes from oncoming traffic at night.

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004
Local Facebook marketplace posting had this gem..

In my driveway now.

2005 Cadillac CTS-V (Gen1)

Yep.. A Cadillac with a manual...

LS6 Ahoy!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Driving one of those is up there in "fond memories" for me. Congrats!

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

StormDrain posted:

That's why the Taurus was the cop car in Robocop. They were such a huge leap from other run-of-the-mill american sedans, and then Ford tried to recapture the magic with that bulbous ugly as gently caress follow up.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Congrats on the ctsv!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Slack3r posted:

In my driveway now.

LS6 Ahoy!

I would not mind a Gen 1. Not like I can afford the supercharged Gen 2+ anyway...
And really, LS2 is plenty for me. For a bit.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Slack3r posted:

In my driveway now.

LS6 Ahoy!

Sweet! The night photos probably aren't doing it any favors but it's an awesome ride, congrats.

What's a good way to lowball a seller of a shitbox before I actually go look at the car? It's for the banger/lemons thing so there's a budget cap.

I found what I need but it's almost 4 hours away so it wouldn't be to my advantage to make the trip without an agreement first. The ad's been up for probably two weeks so maybe by the weekend he'd be desperate enough to just accept the offer.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Best way is to show up with cash in hand, hard to refuse once they see the cash especially if it's been up for sale for awhile.

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004
CTS-V pics...

mobby_6kl posted:

Sweet! The night photos probably aren't doing it any favors but it's an awesome ride, congrats.

It was quite filthy.. It was in storage for a year in the country. Very dusty. Gave it a bath or two already. Need to finish the neglected maintenance then detail it this winter. Ran pretty well on only 6.5 cylinders. I think it had the original plugs/wires in it. Changed them out last night. One wire wasn't even connected anymore and it turned into rubber(silicone)? dust when handled. Not the most enjoyable process. Fresh oil change just finished up.

Some dingleberry blacked out EVERY light on it too. Not with that "taillight tint", but full-on two-part auto paint. Tried brake-kleen per the internet, then carb clean, then straight up laquer thinner. Nothing even softened the paint. In the Facebook CTS-V group trolling for a complete set of fronts, rears and marker lights now. ugh.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nice. I had a 2004 V for a little bit. It's a quirky car for sure but was fun and sounds awesome.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Hell Yeah!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3071708622882206

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Slack3r posted:

Some dingleberry blacked out EVERY light on it too. Not with that "taillight tint", but full-on two-part auto paint. Tried brake-kleen per the internet, then carb clean, then straight up laquer thinner. Nothing even softened the paint. In the Facebook CTS-V group trolling for a complete set of fronts, rears and marker lights now. ugh.

I had over spray on plastic trim and used Citristrip to remove it. Instructions say not to use it on plastic, but I wiped it on/wiped it off and it was fine. Might be worth a shot if you are getting ready to trash the lights anyway.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Best way is to show up with cash in hand, hard to refuse once they see the cash especially if it's been up for sale for awhile.
Dunno if I wouldn't be owning myself if he doesn't budge and I end up spending whole day traveling back and forth just to come back empty handed. But in the meantime, another candidate showed up in my postcode, though a bit more expensive still. Definitely better to have a few options though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sort of cool, but not $39K cool.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Dunno if I wouldn't be owning myself if he doesn't budge and I end up spending whole day traveling back and forth just to come back empty handed. But in the meantime, another candidate showed up in my postcode, though a bit more expensive still. Definitely better to have a few options though.

That's the risk you take, but you try not to let the seller know how far you traveled because they can use that against you.

I once had a guy drive from Atlanta to Tampa to buy a car i was selling and he tried to lowball me because he claimed it had been hit and painted. He drove 8 hours back without the car he came to get because of his stupid pride, no way I was gonna budge especially when i had the leverage of him traveling that far just to get it. I sold it a week later to someone local for my asking price.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I've been screwed over several times driving long distances for crap. It's part of the game. At the end of the day the time + gas money is cheaper than buying something you don't want.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

Sort of cool, but not $39K cool.

Jesus, I missed that price

I mean, I always read the things were 70s bargin basement nasty, it'd be like paying top dollar for...a 1970s electric football table?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cool and all and car pricing bubbles are not worth getting mad at, but with a repainted hood and roof? :thunk:
Someone had it in their collection but stored it outside in the sun? Usually the only reason you'd have to repaint those bits, especially with under 7k miles on it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That's the risk you take, but you try not to let the seller know how far you traveled because they can use that against you.

I once had a guy drive from Atlanta to Tampa to buy a car i was selling and he tried to lowball me because he claimed it had been hit and painted. He drove 8 hours back without the car he came to get because of his stupid pride, no way I was gonna budge especially when i had the leverage of him traveling that far just to get it. I sold it a week later to someone local for my asking price.

I drove 2 plus hours to Albany one time to look at a car and when I got close the seller just disappeared. It was before gps was everywhere and he told me to call for directions when I got close. I got close and he never answered the phone, dickhead

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

shy boy from chess club posted:

I drove 2 plus hours to Albany one time to look at a car and when I got close the seller just disappeared. It was before gps was everywhere and he told me to call for directions when I got close. I got close and he never answered the phone, dickhead

I had one guy accuse me of sending him the wrong address.
From a pin I dropped in google maps and copied and pasted.
So I pasted teh same thing again and he said "yeah, this one looks like the right spot".

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Not planning on buying it, but is this nice price or crack pipe?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/windsor-area-on/amazing-limited-edition-1988-5-0l-asc-mcclaren-mustang/1526112850?undefined

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

It's rare but not particularly great. I remember ASC doing a few different conversions back in the 80s.

I don't think the lights are original (both front and back) and it's really only worth something to a collector. Maybe some rich .com zillionaire that's always wanted one since they were a kid. Tailights look pre 87 style going by my failing memory.

I think a survivor, unmolested, bone stock LX 5.0 with the T5 would probably be the most sought after unicorn now.
e: spelling :downs:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 5, 2020

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

slidebite posted:

It's rare but not particularly great. I remember ASC doing a few different conversions back in the 80s.

I don't think the lights are original (both front and back) and it's really ownly worth something to a collector. Maybe some rich .com zillionaire that's always wanted one since they were a kid. Tailights look pre 87 style going be my failing memory.

I think a survivor, unmolested, bone stock LX 5.0 with the T5 would probably be the most sought after unicorn now.

Agreed on all points, particularly the last one.

poo poo, even molested examples that are in super solid shape command decent amounts of dollars.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Post the most overpriced Monte Carlo "collector editions" U got

quote:

2002 Monte Carlo SS Dale Earnhardt Intimadator signature edition

NEW APPRAISAL TODAY at $35000 call for details selling way below appraisal value,, Posting for a friend ,,for more info call and ask for Jimmy at [...]
,2002 Monte Carlo SS (Dale Earnhardt Intimadator signature edition ) in mint condition with only 22klms ,,SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY PLEASE This car is in excellent condition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
What's the benefit of parking on wood planks instead of the concrete?