Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Pyrolocutus posted:

If you run into a Survivor that's clearly griefing as a Killer, ie pointing out their friends, how do you handle it? Shrug and accept or whack them for being a poor sport?

Honestly you don't necessarily know what happened up to that moment. Like if that survivor absolutely refuses to leave a closet or keeps crouch walking everywhere I can sympathize with some one who points them out. It's also possible they're just trying to fake you out and got (un)lucky. Really unless you see them intentionally block another survivor I'd mostly just ignore it. Stick to them or go after the other survivor, whatever feels appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I mean when that happens I usually smack whoever was ratting out their friend, kindly thank them and then go smack their friend too

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Not sure if this is common knowledge but I found out today that if you are rushing levels for teachables and the bloodweb is mapped out right you can direct the flow of the Entity to black out entire branches of the web in one go, as long as it takes the point you would have to take to access that branch. Saves a hell of a lot of bloodpoints that would have been wasted on trash otherwise.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

One thing that really makes survivors mad is telling them in post game "Decisive Strike gets the slug" because you know what? They do.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

CuddleCryptid posted:

Not sure if this is common knowledge but I found out today that if you are rushing levels for teachables and the bloodweb is mapped out right you can direct the flow of the Entity to black out entire branches of the web in one go, as long as it takes the point you would have to take to access that branch. Saves a hell of a lot of bloodpoints that would have been wasted on trash otherwise.

Can you expand on this? How do you direct the flow?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Pyrolocutus posted:

Can you expand on this? How do you direct the flow?

If you buy a perk the entity will devour another perk, and then work its way towards the center. If one perk is at the end of a fork, and you can avoid that fork long enough, it will reach that fork and block off the other side of it.

If I buy Hope, the Entity will devour Resilience, then if I buy anything except the Mystery Box the Entity will devour the box, which also blocks off the Chalk Pouch. On bigger webs you can avoid 6+ purchases this way.

EDIT: Case in point, if I had gone for Small Game in the web below the entity could have cut off a ton of stuff by devouring the circled node.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 27, 2020

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah that's the technique I use when new characters come out and I'm just trying to blast them to 50 ASAP. Except if there's good stuff in the web.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
So I'm not a particular fan of Stranger Things or anything but I do like Steve and I especially love his work uniform... but I was just in this match where this STEVE was blatantly more experienced than everyone else and he was constantly intervening on their behalf it's like STEVE

MIND YOUR BUSINESS :argh:

I finally

FINALLY downed him and hooked him in the basement

You hate to see it

I mean you HATE to see it, but he was too dangerous to let him live. The man was too good. I had to stay and make sure he didn't away. I became that guy. 2 out of 4 :negative:

STEEEEEEEEEVE :argh:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

so what's up with Tunneling, I see it brought up a bunch by angry nerds. is that just the killer focusing down one person over and over? Sounds like a good way to lose a match, though I get that it's lovely for the person being targeted

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Babe Magnet posted:

so what's up with Tunneling, I see it brought up a bunch by angry nerds. is that just the killer focusing down one person over and over? Sounds like a good way to lose a match, though I get that it's lovely for the person being targeted
What it's supposed to mean is focusing on one person to the detriment of everything else. Most of the time, though, getting accused of tunneling just means "you didn't let us get away with the sloppy/hasty unhook."

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah, tunneling (along with around 2/3rds of the vocabulary of this game) is intended to point out a flaw in someone's - coincidentally almost always the killer's! - gameplay but 99% of the time just means the opposing party didn't let that person do whatever the hell they wanted.

This games community sucks rear end on fire most of the time, there are nice people out there but you better believe I went and did that chat box edit the moment it was posted.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The funniest thing about the game’s community right now is that they’re all wailing and gnashing their teeth because the Halloween event skins are paid instead of free this year and now everyone says the devs are basically EA. :laugh:

Like, there’s a huge difference between locking you out of core gameplay and characters entirely so you can sell lootboxes and making some ugly optional cosmetics cost real money. C’mon guys.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Like, there’s a huge difference between locking you out of core gameplay and characters entirely so you can sell lootboxes and making some ugly optional cosmetics cost real money

tbf, their blight cosmetics are pretty consistently some of the best and these are no different. I hate Legion, but god drat does Legion's blight costume look great.

I also wish Ghost Face's wasn't Legendary so I could run the busted open rib cage with like the devil mask or something. Funnily enough only The Blight's is kind of ehn. Cool head though.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

On the one hand I feel for them in terms of it being the first year they've done it that way, but on the other, the best-looking of the hideous skins are still things that make your killer glow bright "hey check me out while I get 0 kills" orange. As cool as the melty Ghost Face is, I just feel like your power may as well be greyed out when you have that skin on.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

What it is supposed to mean is that you spend an extreme amount of time chasing down a single survivor to the detriment of everything else, like you just loop them for 10 minutes straight while ignoring easy hooks from people sitting right on gens in front of you. It's an extremely inefficient way of playing that gets everyone few points.

But when people in the game use it, it's typically just them whining that the killer hit the same person twice when that person was the easiest kill at that time. They just get salty that they lost.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The balancing act is that tunneling is usually optimal play. Removing 1-2 people from the game as fast as possible especially at 3+ gens pretty much seals the deal for the other two guys. The question is whether or not you're staring at the hook waiting to hit the unhooked for 30+ seconds or they just have a series of unfortunate events. This also pairs with the fact that true camping is easy to punish, go pop 2-3 gens. My preference is to hook, investigate any obvious nearby clues and then resume gen patrol, favoring closer gens due to the inevitable. But you also get bled of gens badly if you let 2-4 that are furthest out have zero pressure, so you can't get too stationary as killer unless you've got a real hard 3 gen you want to set up.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Doomykins posted:

The balancing act is that tunneling is usually optimal play. Removing 1-2 people from the game as fast as possible especially at 3+ gens pretty much seals the deal for the other two guys. The question is whether or not you're staring at the hook waiting to hit the unhooked for 30+ seconds or they just have a series of unfortunate events. This also pairs with the fact that true camping is easy to punish, go pop 2-3 gens. My preference is to hook, investigate any obvious nearby clues and then resume gen patrol, favoring closer gens due to the inevitable. But you also get bled of gens badly if you let 2-4 that are furthest out have zero pressure, so you can't get too stationary as killer unless you've got a real hard 3 gen you want to set up.

If you're checking on generators you're not really tunneling. If they are getting hit multiple times when you are checking gens then it's their own stupidity doing that, not being cheap

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Not according to them.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

rydiafan posted:

Not according to them.

Survivors gonna salt

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Okay, serious question about Leatherface's chainsaw--I'm reading and it looks like I'm doing it wrong. I've been holding down Mouse 2 until he swings it and just using that, but apparently you can click to use more charges and extend the dash? Sorry if I'm dumb, but I'm struggling with this

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Danknificent posted:

Okay, serious question about Leatherface's chainsaw--I'm reading and it looks like I'm doing it wrong. I've been holding down Mouse 2 until he swings it and just using that, but apparently you can click to use more charges and extend the dash? Sorry if I'm dumb, but I'm struggling with this

Yes. Once you initiate the chainsaw swing, you can click m2 again to keep going till you're out of charges. Every charge you add means you'll be in tantrum longer if you hit a wall however.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
You also gain speed when you use more charges, so a 5-6 second chainsaw overcomes the time you spent revving it and endangers survivors at a pretty long range.

CuddleCryptid posted:

If you're checking on generators you're not really tunneling. If they are getting hit multiple times when you are checking gens then it's their own stupidity doing that, not being cheap

For sure and I've seen plenty of safe hooks with the killer 40m out turn unsafe real fast. Survivors really need to commit to distracting the killer once he gets somebody. Or run Borrowed Time.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Evil Kit posted:

Yes. Once you initiate the chainsaw swing, you can click m2 again to keep going till you're out of charges. Every charge you add means you'll be in tantrum longer if you hit a wall however.

Adding on to this, hitting it again will reset the timer, but you don't get any extra time if you reset it halfway through the original timer. So if you want to stretch out the dash then you have to wait until its mostly drained then refresh it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Decisive Strike already punishes actual tunneling as it is. (It also punishes lots of play that doesn't need punishing, but y'know.)

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Adding on to this, hitting it again will reset the timer, but you don't get any extra time if you reset it halfway through the original timer. So if you want to stretch out the dash then you have to wait until its mostly drained then refresh it.

It's about the fourth swing of the chainsaw.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Orv posted:

Yeah, tunneling (along with around 2/3rds of the vocabulary of this game) is intended to point out a flaw in someone's - coincidentally almost always the killer's! - gameplay but 99% of the time just means the opposing party didn't let that person do whatever the hell they wanted.

This games community sucks rear end on fire most of the time, there are nice people out there but you better believe I went and did that chat box edit the moment it was posted.

The community is rear end but the jokes/fanart is fantastic
https://www.reddit.com/r/deadbydaylight/comments/jfe6k9/has_this_been_done_yet/

https://twitter.com/Ink_Pants/status/1314547180179341313/photo/1

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Well, that would explain why PH is so much faster than in canon.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Danknificent posted:

So I'm not a particular fan of Stranger Things or anything but I do like Steve and I especially love his work uniform... but I was just in this match where this STEVE was blatantly more experienced than everyone else and he was constantly intervening on their behalf it's like STEVE

MIND YOUR BUSINESS :argh:

I finally

FINALLY downed him and hooked him in the basement

You hate to see it

I mean you HATE to see it, but he was too dangerous to let him live. The man was too good. I had to stay and make sure he didn't away. I became that guy. 2 out of 4 :negative:

STEEEEEEEEEVE :argh:

I guess to be fair, most of Steve's default perks do benefit playing super altruistic. Second Wind (I wanted to type that as Broken Wind) gives him an automatic heal off the hook if he's already healed someone else. Babysitter makes it so he can see your aura if he unhooks someone, and the unhooked person stops leaving scratches

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Peekaboo!

https://i.imgur.com/6zNMRU2.mp4

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Evil Kit posted:

Thanks. I'll try it. If I could get longer dashes that would be huge.

DeathChicken posted:

I guess to be fair, most of Steve's default perks do benefit playing super altruistic. Second Wind (I wanted to type that as Broken Wind) gives him an automatic heal off the hook if he's already healed someone else. Babysitter makes it so he can see your aura if he unhooks someone, and the unhooked person stops leaving scratches

I respect the man and his style. I think it's good and honorable to carry your team.

He just brought out the worst in me...

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Got my first 4-hook on Leatherface! :toot: BBQ+Chili let me hone in on the last survivor right after sacrifice hooking the third survivor. Definitely zooming Leatherface up to 35 asap.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

It's funny, I love recommending BBQ and Chili to players for grinding, but also forget that it's extremely useful outside of some of the smaller maps or like, The Hag. I played Spirit for the first time yesterday, and after every hook I just wanted to do a quick BBQ sweep but I hadn't unlocked it :qq:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

It's funny as hell using it with Billy, hooking someone and seeing some dumbass chilling on a gen in striking range. Roaaaaaaaaaaarsplat

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Studio posted:

It's funny, I love recommending BBQ and Chili to players for grinding, but also forget that it's extremely useful outside of some of the smaller maps or like, The Hag. I played Spirit for the first time yesterday, and after every hook I just wanted to do a quick BBQ sweep but I hadn't unlocked it :qq:

The aura reading is good on every killer though, including the Hag? :confused: Hag has like two perks you should always run if you're playing seriously (Monitor&Abuse, A Nurse's Calling) and then two free perks to run whatever with. Hell, the M&A + NC combo is entirely optional, she's one of the most perk independent killers in the game imo.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Well, for Hag and Pyramid Head it feels less critical since they just don't get as much usage out of it. Like you have a ton of map presence and knowledge already as The Hag. The info is never bad, but is it as useful for Hag?

Pyramid Head cages don't let you BBQ unfortunately. It's still useful when you do hook, but unfortunately it's still situational.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Studio posted:

Well, for Hag and Pyramid Head it feels less critical since they just don't get as much usage out of it. Like you have a ton of map presence and knowledge already as The Hag. The info is never bad, but is it as useful for Hag?

Pyramid Head cages don't let you BBQ unfortunately. It's still useful when you do hook, but unfortunately it's still situational.

I'm not sure how the meta has shaken out for Pyramid Head, but it feels like people just get survivors tormented so they can quick mori them later when they're dead on hook and never actually bother caging anyone. Maybe it's shifted at higher ranks with Pyramid Head mains. :shrug:

Speaking from a point of playing Hag a whole lot, yes I have benefitted from BBQ quite regularly. Bloodpoints aside, being able to tell which way people will rotate from is extremely helpful for setting up traps in that direction, or even letting you know how many people might be nearby already. Also finding out if they're the gens nearby or far away.

Honestly though it's main use is for the BP, let's be real.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Pyramid Head's cage is about time saving. Like it's pretty situational and highly dependent on whether or not you can use the time effectively at the cost of giving survivors an easy hook. Ex. You're on 3 Gen and need to keep map pressure up, it might be worth it to Cage someone instead of hooking or slugging to waste survivor time while you hold onto your gens.

I think you're also splitting hairs! "Not Extremely Useful" just means there's other perks that can compete with it more easily.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Speaking of the cage saving time, I had a game last night as a survivor where there were three of us left when the generators got finished. Two of us were at one door and the third got downed by Pyramid Head trying to open the other door. Pyramid Head threw him in a cage, and he appeared two feet away from the door we were waiting at.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

rydiafan posted:

Speaking of the cage saving time, I had a game last night as a survivor where there were three of us left when the generators got finished. Two of us were at one door and the third got downed by Pyramid Head trying to open the other door. Pyramid Head threw him in a cage, and he appeared two feet away from the door we were waiting at.

*pyramid head tips his pyramid*
m'survivor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Studio posted:

I think you're also splitting hairs! "Not Extremely Useful" just means there's other perks that can compete with it more easily.

I dunno, there aren't a lot of perks I could think of wanting in BBQ's place. But I also have a terrible addiction to always wanting more BP. To me, there aren't a lot of perks that compete more easily cause it's the only perk worth using on Hag that gives extra BP but that is personal preference I suppose.