Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Xenomrph posted:

Alternately, PT but in the Phasmophobia engine.

:ghost::ghost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
PT?

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It was a game demo released some years back by Hideo Kojima. It was more like a concept demo of a horror game and people went totally bananas over it.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

played a game last night with a dude in VR who assembled a candle pentagram on the kitchen counter and started stumbling around singing 'soul makossa' to the ghost in local chat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWK_Josc0Og

:rip: stumbly dude u will be missed

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Honestly the thing I'm hypest about for playing in VR will be placing things very carefully.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

explosivo posted:

Yeah, give people a map editor to work with and/or workshop support and I'd play this game forever.

brb ripping the luigi's mansion assets

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Fun hunt earlier in the asylum with fellow goon/goonette - ghost was hunting non-stop and locked two of us in JUST inside the door that leads to the van.

We lived, made it out alive, made $0, but so much fun. I was Ken Clean-Air System for the goons who had to suffer me.

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015

a mysterious cloak posted:

Fun hunt earlier in the asylum with fellow goon/goonette - ghost was hunting non-stop and locked two of us in JUST inside the door that leads to the van.

We lived, made it out alive, made $0, but so much fun. I was Ken Clean-Air System for the goons who had to suffer me.

Yeah, that was a good time! Highlight of the night for me has to be when I decided to go back in the lobby for one more try with the spirit box and immediately getting locked in and haunted after my second question. The directional audio made everyone's laughter from the truck that much funnier when I was hiding in the bathroom.

Apologies for my fan problem btw, I think I've fixed it now

FlavoFibe fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 22, 2020

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
We tried the asylum again. It didn't spawn the key and the ghost immediately was visible through the locked front door.

Alright ghost, we get it. We'll leave.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I agree with whoever said the asylum is underwhelming and dull.

I know a mansion is on its way and when it drops I’m sure it’s gonna be a fairly realistic slightly gothic one, at best maybe a little ResEvil-y but I hope it goes full supernatural cuckoo bananas and is a riff on the Winchester House or something.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Are the luigi boards tied to a specific person if they spawn? We have one person who always looks for one, and when she finds one, it never responds to her. It will literally always respond to me, and the only other time I know of (when I wasn't playing with them), it responded to someone else.

Either that or the ghosts are sexist since they've always responded to masc voices, but never femme voices.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

add this to the OP maybe? it's the dev's trello

https://trello.com/b/9QrnqQ1j/phasmophobia

also, can you see ghosts in video cameras? I just realized I've never actually seen a ghost from the van, and I've never heard anyone else say they've seen one from the van either.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 23, 2020

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Babe Magnet posted:

also, can you see ghosts in video cameras? I just realized I've never actually seen a ghost from the van, and I've never heard anyone else say they've seen one from the van either.

Absolutely. I've watched ghosts putter around in hallways on the video feed, and also had the distinct pleasure of watching one murder someone with a head-mounted camera.

We'll usually set up a few cameras in hallways/throughways just so we can kind of track where the ghost likes to go when it hunts.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
I'm generally a big scaredy cat wuss baby, but I'm addicted to ghost hunting in phasmophobia. The last hurdle for me is overcoming my fear of standing in a room alone talking to the ghost for spirit box / trying to take pictures. I know a crucifix will stop it spawning in a small area, but can you ever really be completely safe when you're having a 1v1 showdown with bloody mary?

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Babe Magnet posted:

add this to the OP maybe? it's the dev's trello

https://trello.com/b/9QrnqQ1j/phasmophobia

I have no idea what trello is, but after looking at the link that seems like a solid addition, thanks

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mongoose posted:

I'm generally a big scaredy cat wuss baby, but I'm addicted to ghost hunting in phasmophobia. The last hurdle for me is overcoming my fear of standing in a room alone talking to the ghost for spirit box / trying to take pictures. I know a crucifix will stop it spawning in a small area, but can you ever really be completely safe when you're having a 1v1 showdown with bloody mary?

Have the smudge sticks with a lighter in your inventory, and when your flashlight starts flickering, press F with the smudge sticks equipped. This will make you invisble to the ghost for about 6 to 10 seconds (or so i've heard) giving you time to gtfo and break line of sight with the ghost. Prior to standing alone in the room you should also have scouted a bit for possible hiding places like lockers, or best avenue of escape. This will not guarantee survival but it will significantly increase your chances! Same with video cameras; put several of them around the room so as to cover different angles. This can make the van camper actually useful for once, because he or she can help keep an eye out for where the ghost spawns. Also, if you suspect the ghost is a phantom, taking a picture of it when it appears can banish it for a while.

Comedy option: Have all your coop buddies wait outside the door with crucifixes and smudge sticks, ready to bust in at a moments notice, like some monthy python spanish inquisition. It probably wont bother the ghost when its hunting but at least you got the comfort of knowing that the ghosts have additional targets to consider!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Roundup Ready posted:

I have no idea what trello is, but after looking at the link that seems like a solid addition, thanks

oh yeah sorry lol, it's basically a big noteboard of the stuff the dev is working on/might work on next. They're usually not public-facing like this but this dev's is, which is cool.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
That trello link is cool, gives an idea of things he is going to do or wants to do in the future. I am looking forward to more maps for sure, and more ghosts and optional objectives as well. I'd also like the host to stay static upon completing a job, instead of switching to whoever loads back in first.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
I swear, some ghosts are real assholes. Was doing a farmhouse with some friends, one of which has basically become our dedicated ghost agitator as he is actually brave/stupid enough to stay inside even with low sanity. He has been staying inside, yelling cursewords while I was cowardly hiding at the backdoor close to the ghosts room. Saw the sink go off and wanting to photograph that coupled with figuring that we should move the live camera to see if we just need a different angle for ghost orbs got me to step inside for just a moment.

So of course literally the moment I step inside is when a hunt starts :v:

Cue me basically running through the entire first floor up the stairs to get away from it, somehow surviving despite being pretty sure I heard the ghosts footsteps real close the entire time. The moment the lights stopped flickering I made sure to let my friend over the radio know that I blame him for almost getting me killed when I wanted to do a couple things and be out in a few seconds. And because the ghost is a jerk, on my way back to the room it starts a second hunt already, meaning I get to run back to my hiding spot all over again.

I did eventually get to do what I wanted to do (and turns out there were ghost orbs we could not see, so yay) but not before I hopped up on pills and told my friend with his 20% sanity to stay the heck outside the house while I go in (and even then, when I went inside the backdoor I could see him coming into the room through another door. Luckily no hunt that time, probably because I waited with my cursing until I was back outside :v:). So moral of the story: Having friends to play with can both be a blessing and a curse

(Honestly, I do appreciate him actually trying to make things more interesting because I am a coward who at the merest sign of ghost activity starts gravitating toward the front door/a hiding spot. Maybe I should bring myself to be braver... once I got some more cash to replace equipment with when I inevitably die)

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

On the other hand, it is absolutely infuriating when everyone else is in the van, while you sit in the room alone, cursing and yelling at the ghost to trigger the crucifix objective. Boring is an understatement. I'll take an aggressive ghost over an absent one.

On more than one occasion, we just decided to chalk it up to a bug and call it quits so we could play another round.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Proposal: multiple ghosts.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

turn the high school/upcoming prison into an 8-player, 3 ghost raid

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'd like it if some ghosts don't get angry enough to murder you, tbh. Or different deaths at least.

Just a poltergiest killing me by beaning me with a wrench or something.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

dogstile posted:

I'd like it if some ghosts don't get angry enough to murder you, tbh. Or different deaths at least.

Just a poltergiest killing me by beaning me with a wrench or something.

Yeah, this one in particular. Poltergeists are remarked as being dangerous for throwing things around a lot, but they aren't actually DANGEROUS when they throw things around. I hope they let thrown objects injure you. And oh, imagine the panic if a ghost could shove your face in the sink of dirty water.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Man. What are the odds this dude is gonna do any of the stuff in that trello. If he’s smart he takes his streamer hype money and disappears into the Kentucky hill country. Because by the time he either staffs up and gets more people working on this the lustre will be gone

e: if he’s ballsy he makes something really special and unique that could stand the test of time.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Rexicon1 posted:

Man. What are the odds this dude is gonna do any of the stuff in that trello. If he’s smart he takes his streamer hype money and disappears into the Kentucky hill country. Because by the time he either staffs up and gets more people working on this the lustre will be gone

e: if he’s ballsy he makes something really special and unique that could stand the test of time.

tbh i see this getting bought and then developed by someone else. This dude created a great little game, but there is no way he can support the player base it has now, and i wonder if he is willing to actually hire help and everything, vs taking a couple million or more from a AAA dev

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Rexicon1 posted:

From the decompiles it seems like they've laid themselves the groundwork to expand stuff pretty easily. Like I could just straight up drop new behaviors into the ghost with a mod with almost no effort.

That said being popular on the Internet sucks so taking their money and leaving could still happen.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cobbsprite posted:

Yeah, this one in particular. Poltergeists are remarked as being dangerous for throwing things around a lot, but they aren't actually DANGEROUS when they throw things around. I hope they let thrown objects injure you. And oh, imagine the panic if a ghost could shove your face in the sink of dirty water.

Speaking of, I think I’ve seen a poltergeist maybe twice across all my hunts, I wish I got to see them more frequently. I wanna see a ghost spookily messing with objects in the world.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Unhappy Meal posted:

That said being popular on the Internet sucks so taking their money and leaving could still happen.

Just imagine the mountain of hell the markiplier and pewdiepie feral-children would bring down on you should miss a deadline for an update. God no. I would disappear into the stratosphere. You would never find me.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Joke option would be basically throwing down a short faq or whatever on how to let modders add their own poo poo to the game and disappear into the distance, figuring people can just make their own new content :v:

But yeah, I do kinda hope the game gets expanded upon because it is a legit fun game and I could see myself hopping back in once in a while to check new things like maps, ghosts and so on that got added. And if it really is as modular as people say, hopefully there will also be some modding done to let people finetune or add stuff. Heck, even just a way to add new maps would probably add a lot.

As for what I kinda want, I sorta hope there will be more things the ghost can do or interact with to basically be spooky outside of hunts. Maybe stuff like moving items/minor furniture around when no one is looking in a area so you turn around and suddenly there is a creepy teddy or doll on the bed you were just looking at, or your emf reader you put down is suddenly in the corner rather than in the middle of the room. Or have the ghost "imitate" a player by basically having that players character model walk past from one room to another in front of another player, disappearing once it is out of sight. Might lead to some fun moments of "Hey, did I not just see you walk in the bathroom? "No?". Also maybe just expand the range the ghost has on doing creepy stuff with telephones, radios and so on, so that it both has access to more things to scare players with and also make it slightly less obvious where it could be when you suddenly hear a radio go off. Basically, more of the low-key atmospheric stuff that unnerves people since i think that tends to be what really works best in the game, when you know the ghost is starting to do stuff close by but it is not activily hunting.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Greader posted:

Or have the ghost "imitate" a player by basically having that players character model walk past from one room to another in front of another player, disappearing once it is out of sight. Might lead to some fun moments of "Hey, did I not just see you walk in the bathroom? "No?".

This happens :v:

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Greader posted:

As for what I kinda want, I sorta hope there will be more things the ghost can do or interact with to basically be spooky outside of hunts. Maybe stuff like moving items/minor furniture around when no one is looking in a area so you turn around and suddenly there is a creepy teddy or doll on the bed you were just looking at, or your emf reader you put down is suddenly in the corner rather than in the middle of the room. Or have the ghost "imitate" a player by basically having that players character model walk past from one room to another in front of another player, disappearing once it is out of sight. Might lead to some fun moments of "Hey, did I not just see you walk in the bathroom? "No?". Also maybe just expand the range the ghost has on doing creepy stuff with telephones, radios and so on, so that it both has access to more things to scare players with and also make it slightly less obvious where it could be when you suddenly hear a radio go off. Basically, more of the low-key atmospheric stuff that unnerves people since i think that tends to be what really works best in the game, when you know the ghost is starting to do stuff close by but it is not activily hunting.

They actually currently do this one, just not in a directed manner. So you mostly just end up with props disappearing or showing up in weird places. Will hopefully be tuned to be slightly more intelligent with it.

And since I love talking about this game and peeling it apart. There is one bit of stub code I cannot wait to see finished: bleeding walls.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Do ghost models have anything to do with the type of ghost it ends up being? Also do the different book writings depend on the type of ghost? My friend was swearing that the satanic imagery in the book means that it's a demon but I didn't think that stuff mattered because it'd be too easy to match it up that way instead of going through the motions of looking for clues if the book just tells you it's a demon.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Models don't seem to be determined by ghost type, but I have noticed more children ghosts when the ghost's room is a child's bedroom. I don't think the writing image is set by ghost type either.

I'm having fun getting progressively more cavalier with the ghosts. It's fun when your group is really hesitant and you just charge in and lead the investigation. I've noticed that finding the spawn-in location (usually a room or two away from the ghost room) makes surviving hauntings much easier. If I haven't found the spawn spot yet, I'll stand right at a corner in a hallway, or in a doorframe between two rooms. When the ghost spawns in I flick back and forth to see it / hear the heartbeats then immediately run away. The door frame or corner position makes it easy to break line of sight ASAP and start building some distance. The only issue with this is that a revenant will mow you down if he accelerates enough.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

thermal goggles when

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

Proposal: multiple ghosts.

This is my sincere hope, especially for maps like the Asylum or High School that are just too big for a single ghost.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

explosivo posted:

Do ghost models have anything to do with the type of ghost it ends up being? Also do the different book writings depend on the type of ghost? My friend was swearing that the satanic imagery in the book means that it's a demon but I didn't think that stuff mattered because it'd be too easy to match it up that way instead of going through the motions of looking for clues if the book just tells you it's a demon.

Writing style in the book is totally random and has no bearing on the ghost type. If I remember correctly this was confirmed by the co-dev on the Discord. Same goes for the ghost model, but sometimes the model lines up perfectly with what's going on (like the child ghost/child's room mentioned above).

High school is probably my favorite map, even with just one ghost. Sometimes you'll get lucky and as soon as you walk in the ghost rings a phone and you can zero in on it, but because of the size, if the ghost is quiet or doesn't have anything noisy to interact with in their room (like a utility closet), walking around the high school gives it enough time to drop the room temperature to noticeable levels. Makes you feel like you earned that temperature reading for once! It's also insanely fun to run away from and juke ghosts (even the fast ones) in high school while trying to snap photos, especially when they're super aggressive.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
Picked up this game a few days ago. It's at that incredible stage where I don't understand the mechanics enough for it to be predictable, so instead everything is horrifying and I'm mostly just trying to survive.

This is a good game.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
Same. I've been playing it with some pals and our first couple of rounds were completely chaotic. Last night I got locked into the room with the ghost three times on two separate maps. We were in the road house map and the ghost room was the living room. It was doing a lot of fussing around with the electronics and we were trying to goad some evidence out of it. I went into the baby's room that's just off to the side and noticed the stuffed animal on the shelf had been turned to face the door so it was staring at me when I came in. Started poking around a bit when the lights went out, the door slammed shut and uh oh whoops there's the ghost making that terrible throat clicky noise as a bonus. I screamed and threw my crucifix on the ground but didn't get the objective bonus. Probably the ghost wasn't even hunting, just loving with me. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Keep your flashlight on to detect hunts. When it starts blinking, a hunt will start in a few seconds and the blinking will continue until the hunt ends. Run and hide somewhere then turn off your flashlight and don't use voicechat. Hopefully you'll have a buddy somewhere safe who will call out over the radio when the hunt ends. The radio won't work during the hunt, so as soon as you hear it come back you know the hunt is over.