Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

infinite99 posted:

I'm trying to remember if I ever actually tried that and I'm not sure if I have haha. Any cable recommendations or is anything cheap from Amazon pretty good?

I pretty much have the same setup for wfh, I’m using a dell 1440p monitor with a 2012 MacMini. I just use a Dell little DisplayPort to normal DisplayPort adapter and used the cable that comes with the monitor and I’ve had no problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Anyone have experience purchasing refurbs from Microcenter?

https://www.microcenter.com/product/628217/apple-macbook-pro-with-touch-bar-5v912ll-a-mid-2019-154-laptop-computer-refurbished---space-gray

I know the i9's run hot as poo poo, but i'm fine undervolting etc, is $1529 a reasonable price?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

nerdrum posted:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/628217/apple-macbook-pro-with-touch-bar-5v912ll-a-mid-2019-154-laptop-computer-refurbished---space-gray

I know the i9's run hot as poo poo, but i'm fine undervolting etc, is $1529 a reasonable price?

apple seems to have charged ~ 2200 for the same machine on their refurb site the last time it was in stock, so that says something. honestly it seems like a pretty good deal to me if the laptop is in good order.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

nerdrum posted:

That’s a 15, they had 16’s for 80 bucks more

Also you get a 90 day micro center warranty, I’m not sure how the Apple warranty comes into play but it probably doesnt

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bob Morales posted:

That’s a 15, they had 16’s for 80 bucks more

Also you get a 90 day micro center warranty, I’m not sure how the Apple warranty comes into play but it probably doesnt

i'd for sure look at the 16s in that case though i wonder how the cpus compare.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There’s a long Slickdeals thread on this deal but basically Apple will not honor the warranty and you cannot buy AppleCare. Some people got the laptops registered for a 1 year warranty by calling support but they seems to mostly have been reverted to “warranty expired” after a few days. Even most CC extended warranties don’t apply because the laptop is sold as-is. You CAN buy the 3yr warranty Microcenter sells though.

It’s a smoking deal but if you need warranty service after the return policy you are SOL so consider that risk.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I've rarely had to use it but I still don't know if I'd want to buy a new Mac without AppleCare. It seems very much worth it.

If you're looking for deals don't forget about the refurb store.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Does anyone here with a 2020 13” 4-port MBP (if anyone on this tiny forum has that model) get a redirect error when they select the device specs link under About My Mac? I just bought one of these, used, and it’s the only thing that gives me pause, minor as it is.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Does anyone here with a 2020 13” 4-port MBP (if anyone on this tiny forum has that model) get a redirect error when they select the device specs link under About My Mac? I just bought one of these, used, and it’s the only thing that gives me pause, minor as it is.

IDK, seems pretty major to me

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Reinstall the OS from scratch, then try it again. It definitely should work then.

For reinstallation, follow this guide. it's not just good advice if you're selling, it's good after buying, since how can you trust the previous owner to have handed you a properly wiped Mac that doesn't have viruses or other fuckery?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Are you running a PiHole or adblocking DNS?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

American McGay posted:

I've rarely had to use it but I still don't know if I'd want to buy a new Mac without AppleCare. It seems very much worth it.

If you're looking for deals don't forget about the refurb store.

Anecdotal from a former employee at one store, MCs warranties are very good and mangers will work very hard to take care of people and not let them feel like they got burned for buying it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I have this same model and I'm also getting a redirect error.

I have a pi-hole but it also happens on a VPN.

This is the page it's trying to go to and it gets a redirect error
https://support.apple.com/kb/SP819?locale=en-us&viewlocale=en_US

If you remove the "viewlocal=en_US" from the URL the link works fine
https://support.apple.com/kb/SP819?locale=en-us

Seems like just a misconfigured website or something

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 31, 2020

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Can anyone recommend a USB-C hub that can deliver power and run two monitors? Can a single USB-C port off the 16" macbook pro output 2x 2560x1440@144hz? If I need to use two USB-C ports that's fine, I just want to be able to run power, monitors, and the out to my shared USB-A hub all from one side of my laptop.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

prom candy posted:

Can anyone recommend a USB-C hub that can deliver power and run two monitors? Can a single USB-C port off the 16" macbook pro output 2x 2560x1440@144hz? If I need to use two USB-C ports that's fine, I just want to be able to run power, monitors, and the out to my shared USB-A hub all from one side of my laptop.

i have a samsung crg9 that's 5120x1440@120hz, i'm using a thunderbolt > displayport adapter and it works fine.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Has anyone used their AirPort Extreme as just an Ethernet hub and not a wireless router? Is that possible?

Here’s my situation: I just moved and I can get FiOS at my new house, which rules. Before I was using my AirPort Extreme as a wireless router and Ethernet hub for my Apple TV/Switch/PS4. The brand new FiOS router seems pretty great (as opposed to the old Spectrum one) so I think I can just use that. It has several Ethernet out ports however it’s very far away from the TV so if I want to connect my game systems I’ll have to run a cable under the floor. I’d rather run one cable to a hub near the TV than run several and I’d rather use something I already own rather than buy a new Ethernet hub. So would it be possible to just use my AirPort Extreme? Bonus: is there a way to turn off the WiFi network on it? That would be ideal.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

You can put it into “bridge mode” and it will just be a switch (same as a hub as far as you are concerned!). I think you can turn off wireless but I’m not at home right now to double check. Either way running a wireless network you don’t use isn’t a big deal. The power consumption is probably negligible.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Toe Rag posted:

You can put it into “bridge mode” and it will just be a switch (same as a hub as far as you are concerned!). I think you can turn off wireless but I’m not at home right now to double check. Either way running a wireless network you don’t use isn’t a big deal. The power consumption is probably negligible.

I’m mostly worried about it confusing other devices. I guess that’s easy to remedy but I’m just lazy :v:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Apple devices will share wireless network configurations via iCloud, although I am not sure if AppleTV will do this; it seems to only hold one network configuration, since it is stationary device. Just never connect to it and you’re fine. I’m doing basically the same thing you are, but I’m using the wireless as well. Too bad Apple killed off AirPort.

edit: I guess you’d have to delete it from your configs after you set it up, but that’s simple. I’m also like 99% sure you can turn WiFi off so it won’t even matter!

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 1, 2020

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Toe Rag posted:

You can turn off wireless in the channel options for both 2.4 and 5 GHz. There's an "auto" option, you can force it to use a specific channel, or you can just turn the radio off.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

FCKGW posted:

I have this same model and I'm also getting a redirect error.

I have a pi-hole but it also happens on a VPN.

This is the page it's trying to go to and it gets a redirect error
https://support.apple.com/kb/SP819?locale=en-us&viewlocale=en_US

If you remove the "viewlocal=en_US" from the URL the link works fine
https://support.apple.com/kb/SP819?locale=en-us

Seems like just a misconfigured website or something

Thanks for checking. I formatted everything and reinstalled the OS as a matter of course as soon as the thing was in my hands so I thought it was pretty odd. Good to know it’s not something that’s a “just my computer” type of issue.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I've got a 2012 rMBP that I use with the screen off (because it's supremely busted) as a server and build machine. Is there going to be a way to get Big Sur on there? If I can't have the latest XCode etc. then its usefulness will plummet toward being a pet rock.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Has anyone used their AirPort Extreme as just an Ethernet hub and not a wireless router? Is that possible?

As others have said, yeah its totally possible.

At the moment I'm using an EdgeRouter X with the 802.11ac Airport Extreme acting as the access point only; all routing is being handled by the EdgeRouter.

It's actually faster than using the internal DHCP/NAT that the AEBS offers.

It's in bridge mode and I can tell that a lot of routing is being done faster; the Wyze app on my phone finds the WyzeCams immediately, as opposed to having to wait for a noticeable pause with the AEBS alone.

In this config the AEBS is running as an Ethernet hub/switch and access point plugged into one of the EdgeRouter ports, with the EdgeRouter connected to the cable modem.

What's interesting is that there were signs that the AEBS was starting to die because it was dropping Netflix / FuboTV streams regularly; since I switched to the EdgeRouter X/AEBS setup I haven't dropped a single stream. When the AEBS finally bellys up I think I'll get a UniFi AC-Pro or an Orbi with Wi-Fi 6..

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Escape Goat posted:

I've got a 2012 rMBP that I use with the screen off (because it's supremely busted) as a server and build machine. Is there going to be a way to get Big Sur on there? If I can't have the latest XCode etc. then its usefulness will plummet toward being a pet rock.

Does the dosdude patcher work?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

dosdude1 hasn't made a Big Sur patcher, either he's waiting for final Big Sur to come out or he has other priorities in his life.

Up until a couple weeks ago he's been semi-active on MacRumors forums but seems to have checked out of the Mac forums world since.

Some other MacRumors forum members have taken up the torch, Barry K. Nathan's micropatcher v.0.4.4 has been working for all the BS beta releases..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

:siren: ONE MORE THING :siren:

Apple Event announced for November 10th (next Tuesday.)

Deffo Apple Silicon Macs, possibly AirTags and maybe new AppleTV?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Good plan. Hold the event while we are all busy furiously stalking out xbox series xs on fed ex trucks online and can't get upset at the decisions that are made.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I read it as “silicon masks”

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

get hyphy

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Apple Event announced for November 10th (next Tuesday.)

Deffo Apple Silicon Macs, possibly AirTags and maybe new AppleTV?

I know they will not do it, but I was thinking. What is stopping them from releasing a new "Apple TV" box and just calling it a Mac very mini. Just put macOS for ARM on it and sell it for 300 bucks. Have it as their Chromebook challenger.

I don't think they will, but I don't see any technical reason they couldn't anymore.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, nothing technical but honestly that market is just the iPad now.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

otter posted:

Good plan. Hold the event while we are all busy furiously stalking out xbox series xs on fed ex trucks online and can't get upset at the decisions that are made.

There’s a new Xbox?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

badjohny posted:

I know they will not do it, but I was thinking. What is stopping them from releasing a new "Apple TV" box and just calling it a Mac very mini. Just put macOS for ARM on it and sell it for 300 bucks. Have it as their Chromebook challenger.

I don't think they will, but I don't see any technical reason they couldn't anymore.

I really want them to do a <$400 mini. Put an A13 or something in it. If they can get the iPad down to under $300 then there’s no reason they can’t package a basic Mac with the same hardware and no display that you could, like, give to your kid and plug into a display to do basic Mac poo poo on and play ported iOS games on and whatnot.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

badjohny posted:

What is stopping them from releasing a new "Apple TV" box and just calling it a Mac very mini. Just put macOS for ARM on it and sell it for 300 bucks.

What's stopping them is why would they sell an entry level Mac for $300 when they can charge $999 instead?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Last Chance posted:

There’s a new Xbox?

Not sure if that's sarcasm, but yes. And my workload from my office is super light through the end of the year, which is good because September and October nearly broke me. It will be what gets me through the next few months of remote schooling, idiotic politics, and mass consumerism (ironic, yes?) of Christmas. I'm super happy with my new iPad though, so I'll definitely be waiting for a few years before buying any new hardware.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Splinter posted:

What's stopping them is why would they sell an entry level Mac for $300 when they can charge $999 instead?

they don’t currently start Mac minis at $1k and never have. Why would they hike the price like that?

I believe they do have an incentive to keep prices steady or lower rather than make the computers much more expensive. People are going to be skeptical about the new hardware.

Also apple’s charting new ground here with such a big architecture switch. Part of the reason why Macs can keep puttering on only being 10% of the market and still enjoy a large degree of user flexibility and compatibility in a majority-PC world is because of the x86 underpinnings. These new Macs are going to need to grow a large user base quickly in order to get developers on board quickly. A lot of existing apps won’t work/work optimally. The Macs won’t have bootcamp to make running unported software easy.

A lot of current users are scared that future Macs won’t get software they use/want quickly enough if developers feel like the return isn’t there yet to invest in porting existing apps or writing new apps for the hardware. The first few years of iPad apps were rough when it felt like the platform had stalled or plateaued a bit. Nobody wants to see that happen on the Mac.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 2, 2020

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Ok Comboomer posted:

they don’t currently start Mac minis at $1k and never have. Why would they hike the price like that?

Whatever the entry level price is, the point is still the same

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Mac Mini was introduced at a $500 price point and it has been creeping up since then. I could see them re-introducing an Apple Silicon Mac Mini if they wanted to play in that $500 space again but I feel that Apple (rightly) sees that general purpose desktop computing is a dead form factor except in the high end performance (Mac Pro) or Computing That Needs to Look Good As Well (iMac) and just doesn't want to be there anymore.

The world has moved on to mobile computing and Apple is doing very well in that space.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Also because apple services made almost double what Apple Macs made 43b v 25v in 2019. Selling a cheaper Mac to get people using their services more would probably not be a bad idea. I know I would be in for 4 of them right away. They don't need to do much more than the basics and would be great for my parents and kids.

Getting iOS apps onto the Mac store so they can get their 30% had to factor into the silicon switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm curious to see how the fact that Apple had a record-breaking quarter in Mac sales last quarter affects the support lifetime of those Intel machines, specifically. E.g., Apple supports Intel a lot longer than they did PPC during the PPC->Intel transition.