Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Hi all. This is pretty awkward to write, but TL:DR I'm quitting the forums, so I'm going to pass judgehood to there wolf.

Over the last couple of days I've been learning more about the history of SA, and in particular it's treatment of LGBT posters, mostly at the hands of FYAD. Even before learning this poo poo, I thought that getting rid of FYAD was one of the best things this site has ever done. FYAD is now back, and 'ironically' posting homophobic poo poo already.

I want no part of that, I won't contribute to a site that allows it, and I urge you all to reconsider whether you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Personally I'm waiting a bit to give the new management a chance to figure things out but yeah, I respect that. It's too bad too because the vast majority of SA is much better than that poo poo. You'll still be on the Discord right?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

lofi posted:

Hi all. This is pretty awkward to write, but TL:DR I'm quitting the forums, so I'm going to pass judgehood to there wolf.

Over the last couple of days I've been learning more about the history of SA, and in particular it's treatment of LGBT posters, mostly at the hands of FYAD. Even before learning this poo poo, I thought that getting rid of FYAD was one of the best things this site has ever done. FYAD is now back, and 'ironically' posting homophobic poo poo already.

I want no part of that, I won't contribute to a site that allows it, and I urge you all to reconsider whether you will.

Sorry to hear it. 90% or more of the time I spend on SA is on CC. A few times I lurked in GBS and FYAD and was so disgusted I just sorta forgot the other parts of SA existed at all. Not to say that there aren't other great parts of the forum. The serious Hardware / Software crap, PYF and SA Mart have all treated me really well over the years for example. I am not throwing the baby out with the bathwater just yet. CC will always be my favorite because I think overall it has the least amount of trolling and a high level of encouragement.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

lofi posted:

Can you or anyone else that knows about this please send me/another mod or admin links to it?

As one of the friendly neighborhood lgtb mods, I'm sorry to see you go for this reason. This is honestly one of the better online trans communities I've been involved with, and I'm not ready to give that up because of some shitheads in a zombified comedy subforum. Without going into too much detail, FYAD essentially got a mistrial under Lowtax, and when he brought it back (and still owned the site) we resigned to give them a proper chance to show they weren't just a bunch of bigots. If they're failing that, then mods need to know. If anyone in any forum is being a bigot, mods need to know. Please hit that report button, or reach out through PMs, or emails, or whatever.

I'll be happy to take over judging if that's what you want, lofi, but I'm going to take your issue to the mod forum as well. This poo poo isn't going to be left to fester anymore.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

You can also pm me if you like, you're an awesome artist and a really good poster, the forums would be worse off without you. Fluffdaddy is the admin with fyad oversight, you can also go to him, he is a good egg.

I wasn't particularly sad to see fyad take a holiday, but I also think it's ok they came back: they are still going to push boundaries but a lot of them are lgbt themselves so for all they have annoyed me fyad is not the simple haven of bigotry that they have been painted as. And they dont have the quasi immunity they seemed to have in the past.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

lofi posted:

I'm glad you're doing what's right for you. For those of us willing to stay, I think there is value in rehabilitating the culture of the site rather than writing it off as simply another hateful space. I met a lot of my LGBTQ+ and BIPOC friends through SA and I would hate to see another space get left to sour and fester at the hands of edgelords and the offsite hate-mongers who want to see this place die. To some extent it's on the mods and admins to encourage necessary cultural shifts, but that's going to take some time, and there will be no point if all the good people leave :smith:

It's 2020, the world is scary as gently caress, there are no spaces that are isolated from hate and bigotry, and I am happy to be here with you all making art in spite of that. It's powerful as gently caress. Also, I'm just an IK but I'm happy to hear people out and pass concerns on anonymously if needed. I think you all are amazing, this thread is wonderful, and I really want to preserve this creative space and the good people who post here.

saint anime
Jul 28, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Hang in there. I know it's tough.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Alright. So big mea-culpa. I said I'd take over judging and then let the date slip by.

So Sitting Here, TVsVeryOwn, Joe Gillian, or Doll House Ghost did any of you complete Lofi's original room prompt?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

big fat negat from me. mea-culpas all around?

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I will fart out something in the next day or so, and if at least one other person does too we can have ourselves a proper contest :madmax:.

or

there wolf, you could certainly post another prompt if you prefer. Otherwise I'll get drawing, though I just worked overnight and have to be back at 6PM so I don't think I'll be slamming out anything in the next several hours.

BTW, I'm slowly dropping this in all the CC threads but based on community feedback we created a project index thread where people can link and follow work shared in Creative Convention.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Yeah I wasn't sure what the temperature was after the news, so I felt awkward just getting to business as usual. I'd be fine with either an extension or we start with a fresh new prompt.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I think I'm going to issue a new prompt, and give everyone a fresh start then. Maybe we'll do a revisit on Lofi's idea at some point.

Since it's fall in the northern hemisphere and spooky season in the US, the new prompt is- Death in the Garden

The Garden of Death by Hugo Simberg

Interpretation is very open, autumn foliage as welcome as poisonous botanicals and secret graves. Please signup before Halloween and it'll be due on November 15th. And I'm going to experiment with being a nag about it to see if that helps with rush jobs.

Prompt- Death in the Garden
Signup- 10/31/20, Friday October 31st
Due- 11/15/20, Sunday, November 15th

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I’ll try and do this one. I’m overdue to do some colored light studies and this seems like a good excuse to stick a skull in a houseplant and pretend it’s deep.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I'm in

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Oh I love this prompt! In

RPGsArts
Oct 25, 2020

Pet Portraits and Custom Commissions
New to the forums, but I’d love to join this prompt!

Edit: I read the rules, but I may need a little help with this first challenge. Do people submit on a rolling basis or does everyone post on the due date? Had a bit of a time trying to figure that from past posts. Any other advice is welcome!

RPGsArts fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 27, 2020

steeltoedsneakers
Jul 26, 2016

I'm in. (assuming things are still medium-agnostic here..?)

It's spring where I am, but I reckon I can rustle up some dead stuff.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

steeltoedsneakers posted:

I'm in. (assuming things are still medium-agnostic here..?)

It's spring where I am, but I reckon I can rustle up some dead stuff.

Luckily dead stuff is ever-green :zombie: And just to reiterate, autumn is an optional interpretation. If you want to paint the beautiful bed of foxgloves you're cultivating to kill your wife's lover with, that's also acceptable.

And yes any medium is fine. I do have a medium specific idea I will subject you to some day, but I want to earn that right rather than be subbed in for it.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I'm in!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

HeartArt posted:

New to the forums, but I’d love to join this prompt!

Edit: I read the rules, but I may need a little help with this first challenge. Do people submit on a rolling basis or does everyone post on the due date? Had a bit of a time trying to figure that from past posts. Any other advice is welcome!

You can post your submission any time between end of signup and the due-date. If you post early but end up doing some more edits, we're pretty chill about you resubmitting the new version as long as you tell us which one you want judged so there's no confusion. It's not a cut-throat competition at all, so as long as you aren't chronically blowing off deadlines you're probably not going to run afoul of anything. Also little image/photo editing to shine up your piece is always a good idea, particularly if it's not already digital and you're relying on a photo of it.

And thanks for taking the jump and signing up, both here and in the forums in general. It's great to have new people.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I'd like to get involved in this thread, but first I have a really stupid question:
How exactly do I post images in SA?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Tree Bucket posted:

I'd like to get involved in this thread, but first I have a really stupid question:
How exactly do I post images in SA?

Get an imgur account and upload your pics to there. Once done you can generate links you can use to post in forums like this one.

At least that’s how I do it.

RPGsArts
Oct 25, 2020

there wolf posted:

You can post your submission any time between end of signup and the due-date. If you post early but end up doing some more edits, we're pretty chill about you resubmitting the new version as long as you tell us which one you want judged so there's no confusion. It's not a cut-throat competition at all, so as long as you aren't chronically blowing off deadlines you're probably not going to run afoul of anything. Also little image/photo editing to shine up your piece is always a good idea, particularly if it's not already digital and you're relying on a photo of it.

And thanks for taking the jump and signing up, both here and in the forums in general. It's great to have new people.

Thanks a lot!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Sign me up. I like this prompt.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Count me in for this prompt

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

readingatwork posted:

Get an imgur account and upload your pics to there. Once done you can generate links you can use to post in forums like this one.

At least that’s how I do it.

Thanks!

I'll give this prompt a shot, I think.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Count me in! Hugo Simberg is one of my favourites. :3

And uh, yeah, I didn't know whether the previous prompt was standing or not so I didn't do anything for it.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Last day for signups!

Look at this list of rivals to crush with your artistic prowess-

readingatwork
Flavius Aetass
Sitting Here*
HeartArt*
steeltoedsneakers*
Joe Gillian*
sigma 6
Angrymog*
Tree Bucket *
Doll House Ghost*

Won't you join the fun, person reading this who hasn't signed up yet? Signups are closed. Let the rumble begin!

there wolf fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 16, 2020

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Dried flowers and a kangaroo jawbone fragment, drawn and coloured on a tablet. Does it count as a still life when both subjects are dead?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
When you think about it isn't death the ultimate still life?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
this ain't life drawing

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Watercolour, gouache, pen. :toot:

RPGsArts
Oct 25, 2020

Here is my 11/15 submission, “Death in the Garden”. Drawn in Procreate.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
hello, Rick Perry

RPGsArts
Oct 25, 2020

Ha! That would make him so much cooler

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

HeartArt posted:

Here is my 11/15 submission, “Death in the Garden”. Drawn in Procreate.

Disqualified for using Procreate in a death themed contest. Just kidding

Everyone else, remember your due date is this Sunday, so only two more days for you to finish readingatwork, Flavius Aetass, Sitting Here, steeltoedsneakers, Joe Gillian void_serfer, sigma 6 and Angrymog

Failure to present work shall enact the terrible curse I placed upon you when you volunteered. :spooky:

there wolf fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 12, 2020

RPGsArts
Oct 25, 2020

there wolf posted:

Disqualified for using Procreate in a death themed contest. Just kidding

It’s the circle of life, maaaaan

steeltoedsneakers
Jul 26, 2016

Here's my go at Death in the Garden:

wtf is this?
started by roughly cutting out some mushies as a vector on transparency

and then piping that through my video mixing software through a projector

in weird and wonderful ways onto my leafy southern hemisphere garden

before eventually setting on a colour inversion scheme that popped well enough off the background

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

That's really cool, thanks for showing the process pics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Artdome has been my excuse to finally get around to loving around with the various free art programs. Mostly I use GIMP and inkscape, and I've kinda just been very slowly teaching myself how to do things as needed. Up until like two months ago I pretty much only used ink and markers so the revelation of ctrl+z basically changed my world.