Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Yeah, I don't run a pihole but I use a similar dns adblocking on my router, and it's best as a supplement for when you're browsing on your phone or whatever that you don't have ublock. You want to configure it with one of the medium-strength lists or lighter, which means some ads still get through but you rarely deal with anti-adblock countermeasures.

(Also increasingly DNS blocking just isn't a good adblocking solution in general. Browsers implementing internal DNS-over-HTTPS resolvers makes intercepting DNS queries increasingly difficult -- right now in chrome for android you have to disable DOH entirely to use a pihole. On any device like a phone that's not used strictly inside your own network, this is lowering your security for adblocking. Honestly I don't think it's worth going out and acquiring a pi just for pihole anymore.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I run both, but I gotta say pihole is useful no matter what...

plus I can whitelist in pihole as easily as I can whitelist in ublock. If I somehow made it sound hard then that’s on me. It’s not

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Surely pihole will start supporting DoH at some point too, right?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
get a pi4 instead of a pi zero too. a single core proc really sucks for a running as a server, especially one that's so critical that every single web request in your house is blocked by it. the pi 4 runs plain old ubuntu 20.10 now too so you can forget all the garbage hacks and quirks of raspbian too

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mod sassinator posted:

get a pi4 instead of a pi zero too. a single core proc really sucks for a running as a server, especially one that's so critical that every single web request in your house is blocked by it. the pi 4 runs plain old ubuntu 20.10 now too so you can forget all the garbage hacks and quirks of raspbian too

The zero works fine if you just use pihole. If you have it to do absolutely anything else at the same time it starts to be a problem.

I'd say if you're going out and buying something, just get a 4 so you can fool without it. But if you have a zero lying around it can be your pie hole.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 25, 2020

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Subjunctive posted:

Surely pihole will start supporting DoH at some point too, right?

https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/dns-over-https/

I've been running it with DoH for a long time now

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Ah man, thanks for the input, everyone. I wanna get into more small, but practical projects and the Pihole looked massively interesting and useful.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Just put it somewhere you can access it easily if need be, since you lose all connection if it crashes for whatever reason. (Maybe a secondary dns can avoid that? I didn't set it up to use one...)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Just got my second PI up and running to play the role of always online script runner as well as home entertainment system. This one just has raspbian.

My apartment is tiny so my work desk and computer monitor is also my tv and stand. With a few configuration tweaks chromium can run prime and netflix.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

If you're doing actual internet browsing with a full-fledged browser you can just install ublock origin and have full control over which individual sites can get whitelisted, no need to go through the pihole.

A pihole is nice for providing adblocking to crippled devices like smart TVs or ebook readers. You generally aren't going to browse a ton of different sites on those, more likely it's going to be YouTube and your favourite news sites.
That's how we do it as well. Real computers get ublock, tablets/phones/etc go on the timeout bad kid wifi with a pihole docker image telling them what's up.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I have a project that needs to log the power use over USB. I need at the very least watts (or voltage+amperage sure) consumed, preferably with >0 logging but I can do that with a webcam for a decent price difference.

Any suggestions for a reliable answer or is it just "cheap Chinese gear + a lot of testing"?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

endlessmonotony posted:

I have a project that needs to log the power use over USB. I need at the very least watts (or voltage+amperage sure) consumed, preferably with >0 logging but I can do that with a webcam for a decent price difference.

Any suggestions for a reliable answer or is it just "cheap Chinese gear + a lot of testing"?

I don’t know how to do it over USB, but there are a variety of wifi sonoff plugs and switches with screw terminals that can report it over wifi, and you can flash tasmota onto them for ease of control and peace of mind.

ninja: some low rent UPS might give you what you want?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t know how to do it over USB, but there are a variety of wifi sonoff plugs and switches with screw terminals that can report it over wifi, and you can flash tasmota onto them for ease of control and peace of mind.

ninja: some low rent UPS might give you what you want?

I want to log the power used over USB. So I can check how much juice a device powered over USB sucks under different conditions.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

oh!

I have a USB-C power meter that I got off Ali that seems to work OK up to about 65W. I’ll try and find the link in the morning.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I only need USB-A so that's way more wattage than I'll ever use.

Everything I'd want to use caps at 12W.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
If you're just looking for a thing you can plug in between the devices that displays the volts and amps it's using for example, a device off aliexpress or ebay is probably the cheapest option. I have one I used to measure how much electricity an arduino thing i built was using that cost me approximately 1-2 bucks including shipping iirc. Think I just searched aliexpress for voltmeter or amperage meter or something similar. Maybe that will cover your needs?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I have this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/325...earchweb201603_

It keeps track of total mah but there's no way to log the power over time. Some of the fancier ones have BT connectivity so you should be able to log it on the PC: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...earchweb201603_
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...earchweb201603_

Depending on what else you have you could use a bench power supply or a multimeter in series or something. Or DIY with an arduino :)

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I have a pi4 that I use for game/video streaming from my PC to the telly and when I finally got around to streaming a 4k video from the PC, it wouldn't work - vlc just showed a black screen with no audio, kodi would play it but it stopped to buffer every 2 seconds. I copied the file to a usb and plugged it into the pi directly and got the exact same results. I did "sudo apt-get upgrade" which downloaded and installed over a gig of stuff and asked me to restart but from that point on the pi wouldn't boot.

I've reinstalled raspbian, which obviously downloaded updates as part of the process but still had the same issues. Searching online I found 2 possible solutions: increase the amount of video ram and make sure the hdmi lead is plugged into hdmi0 (the one nearest the power connector). The lead is plugged into the port next to power (although when I went to change the resolution, the app says "hdmi-1") but the video memory was really low, so I set it to 512mb. Now vlc will open the 4k file, though there's no picture in windowed mode (audio works though) and in fullscreen mode the picture looks like total dogshit (fuzzy and tons of artefacts).

My questions:
1 - is "sudo apt-get upgrade" the right command to make sure everything is up to date or did I brick the first install? :v:
2 - how do I make vlc work properly, is there some driver I need that doesn't come as standard?
3 - when people say the pi4 can play 4k video, does that only apply if it's encoded a specific way? The file I'm trying (which, for the record, plays perfectly in 1080p on my PC with no issues) is HEVC H.265 which as far as I can tell from googling, should be ok.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's "sudo apt update" followed by "sudo apt upgrade" to get your Linux system up-to-date (or "sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade").

Dunno about the rest. Just running "sudo apt-get upgrade" shouldn't break anything unless maybe you've been mucking about with your dependencies manually. "Apt-get" is depreciated in favor of "apt", though I don't think it matters in practice. "Update" identifies the latest versions of the software you have install to download with "upgrade", otherwise it'll be working off outdated info and won't grab the newest versions.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Are you using the 64 bit Raspberry OS beta by chance? I know VLC is broken on it but I don't know to what extent. Either way, apt upgrade shouldn't brick your system though.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
i don't think the pi has accelerated h265 playback. or if it does, it's probably only in a very specific application and use-case, since the GPU is totally a black box that only some folks tangentially related to the pi foundation can understand. imho you want to get an nvidia shield to play back high res video files from your own network

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mod sassinator posted:

i don't think the pi has accelerated h265 playback.

The Pi 4 has HEVC acceleration that can do 4k60. The weirdness is that is can only do h264 in 1080p, because the decode hardware for older formats is unchanged from the 3 and before.

I would go for a dedicated video-streaming distro to do the job of being a video player. Supposedly rasperian + VLC has support for it if you're fully updated, but if you go with Kodi or libreelec they definitely have it in their base image and maintain their own ffmpeg patches for the Pi.

(Also VLC is just, uh, not impressing me these days. Maybe it's better on linux.)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
VLC works fine for me in the 32 bit distro

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

I started trying to gently caress around with TensorFlow on my Pi 4 again but now that I'm using the 64 bit OS beta I'm getting an ELFLCASS32 error in Python. It seems that pip only wants to install the 32 bit version of Tensorflow on a Pi. I don't see where anyone has already built Tensorflow from its source for this Pi/OS, so I just started the process myself.

quote:

After 33 hours compilation, hopefully, you will see with the following screen.

Wish me luck :eng101:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

i vomit kittens posted:

Are you using the 64 bit Raspberry OS beta by chance? I know VLC is broken on it but I don't know to what extent. Either way, apt upgrade shouldn't brick your system though.
I have no idea, I'm just using whatever the default option was - how do I check that?

mod sassinator posted:

imho you want to get an nvidia shield to play back high res video files from your own network
Ok but I already have a pi and don't have £150 to spare :v:

Klyith posted:

The Pi 4 has HEVC acceleration that can do 4k60. The weirdness is that is can only do h264 in 1080p, because the decode hardware for older formats is unchanged from the 3 and before.

I would go for a dedicated video-streaming distro to do the job of being a video player. Supposedly rasperian + VLC has support for it if you're fully updated, but if you go with Kodi or libreelec they definitely have it in their base image and maintain their own ffmpeg patches for the Pi.
The two other things I use the pi for are streaming games from steam on my PC and very occasionally using a browser - can I do those on a dedicated distro? Is it possible to put more than one OS on and use a boot menu?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pilchenstein posted:

The two other things I use the pi for are streaming games from steam on my PC and very occasionally using a browser - can I do those on a dedicated distro?

Um, looks like the answer is "it depends". LibreElec evidently doesn't have a package manager and is super-focused on just doing the media thing, so adding new software isn't easy. So probably not that one. OSMC has steamlink support but OSMC is still only Pi 3 and below.

Kodi is an app though, not a complete distro, so potentially using that will get you better results than VLC.

Poking around it looks like the best answer with pi 4 is to stick with raspberian, but maybe if you're still having trouble upgrading just reflash your sd card with the most recent release image. (Also lol as soon as you start searching for steam link stuff you get people wanting to run kodi or whatnot on an actual Steam Link hardware. Valve selling those things for a nickel )

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

It's gonna be a lot easier just to have seperate sd cards with whatever install you want rather than multi booting.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

i vomit kittens posted:

I started trying to gently caress around with TensorFlow on my Pi 4 again but now that I'm using the 64 bit OS beta I'm getting an ELFLCASS32 error in Python. It seems that pip only wants to install the 32 bit version of Tensorflow on a Pi. I don't see where anyone has already built Tensorflow from its source for this Pi/OS, so I just started the process myself.

Wish me luck :eng101:

Hah, are you actually trying to compile on the Pi? Cross compiling on your desktop is usually just a couple extra compiler flags

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Klyith posted:

if you're still having trouble upgrading just reflash your sd card with the most recent release image
The reinstall got everything fully up to date so I've no idea what went wrong when I did it myself. Kodi wasn't playing 4k on the previous install but I never got to try it with more video ram allocated so hopefully that'll have helped.

Some Goon posted:

It's gonna be a lot easier just to have seperate sd cards with whatever install you want rather than multi booting.
The pi is out of the way behind the telly so swapping cards over would be a bit of a chore too. I'll just stick with raspbian and kodi for now and see how I get on.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Pilchenstein posted:

I have no idea, I'm just using whatever the default option was - how do I check that?

It's only available to download from a post on their official forums, so you would have had to seek it out for that.

ante posted:

Hah, are you actually trying to compile on the Pi? Cross compiling on your desktop is usually just a couple extra compiler flags

Yup! I've literally never done something like this before and found a guide that walked me through doing it on my Pi. It's not being used for anything else right now so other than the wait time (and the possibility that it could always just not work anyways after it's done) it's no loss to me to just let it run.

brains
May 12, 2004

Pilchenstein posted:

The reinstall got everything fully up to date so I've no idea what went wrong when I did it myself. Kodi wasn't playing 4k on the previous install but I never got to try it with more video ram allocated so hopefully that'll have helped.

The pi is out of the way behind the telly so swapping cards over would be a bit of a chore too. I'll just stick with raspbian and kodi for now and see how I get on.
PXE boot it instead

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Ok so I finally got a chance to try Kodi again and it's almost unusable - the UI is horrifically laggy. It streams 4k from my PC fine though - as long as you don't bring the UI up :v:

When I launch Kodi it tells me there's a newer version available but doing "sudo apt install kodi" in a terminal tells me it's up to date, so I've no idea how to get the latest version.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Sudo apt-get update

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Sorry I should have said I did sudo apt update & upgrade first, I only tried updating kodi manually after that didn't work.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Has anyone else running Pi-hole had issue with Twitter lately? Images and videos stop loading periodically, and P-h is the only new/unusual part of my network setup.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Pilchenstein posted:

Ok so I finally got a chance to try Kodi again and it's almost unusable - the UI is horrifically laggy. It streams 4k from my PC fine though - as long as you don't bring the UI up :v:

When I launch Kodi it tells me there's a newer version available but doing "sudo apt install kodi" in a terminal tells me it's up to date, so I've no idea how to get the latest version.

A new version of Kodi exists.

It's not in the repos of your OS yet.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Lazyhound posted:

Has anyone else running Pi-hole had issue with Twitter lately? Images and videos stop loading periodically, and P-h is the only new/unusual part of my network setup.

Contrary to the perception of Twitter being a tech company, they're really nothing more than an ad company. I'm sure they've tied the functionality of the site to making sure ads are served.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

endlessmonotony posted:

A new version of Kodi exists.

It's not in the repos of your OS yet.
Fair enough :v:

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
I just set up a standard pi 4 raspbian desktop from canakit, got my VPN up and running, downloaded some SNES ROMs because I’m a 40 year old stereotype, and ran into a wall. Files are in a 7zip format (.7z) but xarchiver doesn’t recognize them, through the GUI or command line. Man on xarchiver says it goes by the file header rather than the extension—do I need to search for a specific archive of ROMs created on a Linux file system? Can I convert or am I missing something dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

King Bahamut posted:

I just set up a standard pi 4 raspbian desktop from canakit, got my VPN up and running, downloaded some SNES ROMs because I’m a 40 year old stereotype, and ran into a wall. Files are in a 7zip format (.7z) but xarchiver doesn’t recognize them, through the GUI or command line. Man on xarchiver says it goes by the file header rather than the extension—do I need to search for a specific archive of ROMs created on a Linux file system? Can I convert or am I missing something dumb

I don't know if it's in the Raspbian repos but the Linux 7zip package is called "p7zip".