Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The real legacy was the abusers you met along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That's way too clever. It's probably just another fuckin' book

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This story keeps finding new ways to curve in on itself. It's almost admirable.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I just realized that Mookie is trying to rehabilitate the Ink Witch by having her have one line about needing to know Snout was alright. See, she's not abusive, she really cares!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Who What Now posted:

I just realized that Mookie is trying to rehabilitate the Ink Witch by having her have one line about needing to know Snout was alright. See, she's not abusive, she really cares!

She's even apologizing and asking for another chance babe it won't happen again

You know, while doing it again!

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Mx. posted:

i've said it before and i'll say it again, thank you the little death for the long effortposts of old deegan, they are the best part of this thread and i look forward to them

Just wanted to loop back to this and say I'm glad people are enjoying it. It's actually been really interesting for me because I can't believe how much of this story I re-edited in my brain. It was so much worse than I remembered.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

The Little Death posted:

It's actually been really interesting for me because I can't believe how much of this story I re-edited in my brain. It was so much worse than I remembered.

Yeah it's interesting how, looking back on it years and years later, there's so many bad things about it I didn't realize at the time.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The Little Death posted:

Just wanted to loop back to this and say I'm glad people are enjoying it. It's actually been really interesting for me because I can't believe how much of this story I re-edited in my brain. It was so much worse than I remembered.

Same here. I remembered the worst of the worst bits (one of which is coming up in the next arc, IIRC?), but I somehow blanked out all of the latent misogyny in the years since I last read along with it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Chalk me up as someone who also either forgot or just didn't notice how much Mookie hates women who have sex.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
all these pages later I'm still just stuck on his name being Snout

it'd be like a Megatokyo character named Sidemouth, or a Ctrl Alt Del character named BU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
my new webcomic starring Badly Drawn Feet and his harem of girlfriends: Inconsistent Boobs, Fisheyes and the Impossible Spine

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Lunatic Sledge posted:

my new webcomic starring Badly Drawn Feet and his harem of girlfriends: Inconsistent Boobs, Fisheyes and the Impossible Spine

Welcome to the forums, Mr. Liefeld!

Everyday Goast
Nov 27, 2011

spoopy

disappointed the trend of tacking on 200 YEARS AGO to everything seems to have ended. because that's definitely how normal people refer to things.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I think the thing for me is how, not far from when this was written, he was so proud of being friends with burlesque ladies.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Who What Now posted:

Chalk me up as someone who also either forgot or just didn't notice how much Mookie hates women who have sex.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

"Snout, the real Legacy of Dominic Deegan was inside you all along! *stab*"

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Zereth posted:

"Snout, the real Legacy of Dominic Deegan was inside you all along! *stab*"

That would be a good beat actually. Like, the ink witch hugging him, telling him that very sweetly. Then cut to a wide shot of her knife sticking into his stomach, or him impaled on big loving ink claws. I'd respect that twist.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah no, that's not happening. He's already proved he'll lie to the reader about past events to make the ink witch a good guy. He seems to be totally done pretending she might not be trustworthy, and Snout's psychic link with Mookie makes it so.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ink Witch is not going to betray him unless he has a sudden falling out with his wife, who she is clearly based on, and if that happens she will gently caress another man in front of Snout to cement her irredeemability.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i just want *something* to happen
anything meaningful
please i've been so good this year

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

Yeah I was NOT prepared to revisit some of those arcs.

But it's a weird sort of hatred-attraction, he can't help but draw the slutty women but they're evil and dead so it's okay.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Man this guy is just super excited to be drawing flaccid dong

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Again, I find it amazing that he called his comic Legacy of Dominic Deegan and put the focus on the place as far from the events of the original as possible.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Before when I assumed an artist could only get better with time I thought Snout would naturally make his way out of the Wild Edge and hit up all the areas we were familiar with. Like him we would be totally unfamiliar with this future world and could learn about it together.

Turns out the Wild Edge is the size of a continent now. And Snout is such a dunce that he isn’t familiar with one bit of it outside of his shack.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Trying to imagine classic stories like Lord of the Rings or Star Wars if they were written like this.

Frodo finds a ring somewhere, Gandalf tells him it's kind of important, so he just starts wandering aimlessly until someone tells him what to do with it. Also someone burned down his hobbit hole for no reason, but that's not important.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Frodo also has his floppy dick out a lot.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

TheHan posted:

Before when I assumed an artist could only get better with time I thought Snout would naturally make his way out of the Wild Edge and hit up all the areas we were familiar with. Like him we would be totally unfamiliar with this future world and could learn about it together.

Turns out the Wild Edge is the size of a continent now. And Snout is such a dunce that he isn’t familiar with one bit of it outside of his shack.

Hey!

...he's also familiar with the extensive, open-air library that simultaneously has a library card system but also exists to service only him.

And has multiple books older than 2 centuries.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Codependent Poster posted:

Frodo also has his floppy dick out a lot.

How did you get your hands on my unpublished fanfic?!??!!?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So I decided to try a fun project - I'm forcing asking my wife, who has no previous experience with Dominic Deegan (other that being exasperated at my obsession, especially during my Star Power review) to read the Legacy of Dominic Deegan, with only the bare minimum background info, to see her reactions.

So far she got up until the page where Snout lays down naked next to the unconscious Ink Witch and had to stop.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So I decided to try a fun project - I'm forcing asking my wife, who has no previous experience with Dominic Deegan (other that being exasperated at my obsession, especially during my Star Power review) to read the Legacy of Dominic Deegan, with only the bare minimum background info, to see her reactions.

So far she got up until the page where Snout lays down naked next to the unconscious Ink Witch and had to stop.

furiously mashing the button to report spousal abuse.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Remember how the ink witch sent a magic page to snout to manipulate him into thiniking it was a spell for no reason and then revealed oops okay well I guess you caught me I was lying I'm really the ink witch talking about myself in third person, anyway keep doing what i want

i forgot about that

i also forgot that snout cares about deegan because the library he went to got most of its books from him

that'd, like, ok i guess that's enough to warrant curiosity about it but to go on a world-spanning adventure to find out who's the guy who donated his books to your library is a bit much

i got old books too i don't give up my whole life to find out who originally owned this 200 years ago

i did forget that snout actually uses books in the beginning to look up a ton of useful information which i think is the first time so far in DD books being used for anything useful (mookie remembering his mommy also used the elemecca to stop the storm of souls doesn't count as proper research)

but like the first push of this, without the ink witch naked sleeping stuff, was almost vaguely promising almost. snout is in a weird world and he does research to learn ways to survive in it. now he's wandering around and sleeping with naked girls nonsexually and that's all he does

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 28, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

There's also this part, which is completely inexplicable. If he was so curious about Dominic why wouldn't he remember that a poem he wrote is in a book he's read? Why did it take a dream reminding him of the title to make him remember? He already knew what book it was in, so he's clearly read it before. Wouldn't the fact that it was written by Dominic Deegan jump out at him long before?

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

There's also this part, which is completely inexplicable. If he was so curious about Dominic why wouldn't he remember that a poem he wrote is in a book he's read? Why did it take a dream reminding him of the title to make him remember? He already knew what book it was in, so he's clearly read it before. Wouldn't the fact that it was written by Dominic Deegan jump out at him long before?

Yeah I just hit that in my reread and that is where I stopped. Who IS Dominic Deegan? Other than someone who donated all the books to this library and also wrote a large number of them?

It took him less than 100 pages to hit a fatal inconsistency.

And now the story is about him wondering around with a naked childbride instead because why not.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
I think one of the biggest problems is that, despite all evidence to the contrary, snout is no more than 3 days travel (on foot!) from the smoking crater that was his house less than 2 weeks ago, because mookie has an absolutely atrocious sense of scale

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Man, that page was something else. Everything up until then was just like "Oh this is ok I guess, pacing's pretty slow but he's working towards something" then bam: Awkward rear end, outta nowhere, full hog. Really made it seem like Mookie still had it.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Im still loling that snobby rich dude decided to go through with the plan to kill Luna because she made him use a magic condom. those loving jocks and their sex having!!!

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

DamnitGannet posted:

Im still loling that snobby rich dude decided to go through with the plan to kill Luna because she made him use a magic condom. those loving jocks and their sex having!!!

It's weird that with magic so advanced and specialized (there's FTL travel in the form of teleporting, for one) that there's not like, just a potion that you can drink that makes you sterile until you drink the antidote. Whatever alchemist figured that out would be loving rolling in dosh. Instead the best they managed over presumably thousands of years of civilization was literally a condom, but in spell form. If Mookie was trying to make a point about those jerk guys who manipulate innocent women, it's buried under a mountain of his own issues.

GreenMetalSun fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 29, 2020

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

GreenMetalSun posted:

If Mookie was trying to make a point about those jerk guys who manipulate innocent women, it's buried under a mountain of his own issues.

Welcome to "Dominic Deegan".

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Looking back at those comics and honestly? I'm a big proponent of safe sex and using protection but why does the way DD go about it make it feel so gross?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Because it's not about safe sex and using protection, I guess. The Protection Scroll stuff is used as a means to show that Serk Brakkis is an evil jock and Luna was wrong to have slept with him. The focus of the entire story is not on Luna's feelings of betrayal, it's on Dominic finding out about his girlfriend's past life and his reaction to it. We don't actually see the part that hurt her the most, Serk sleeping with her sister. That part of the story is not important for Dominic.