Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CombineThresher posted:

I'm assuming Matt is one of Cody's buddies who needed work, but he's a good wrestler and their retcon of him botching the SSP was pretty clever so I have no complaints.

He's local, well liked by most people and has good matches. He's the perfect guy to have on Dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I get that they wanted to give the title shot tournament guys who haven’t had a TV singles match in a while a win, but 16 is officially Too Many matches. I tapped out before the double main event and will prob watch those before Dynamite.

I’d love to be a fly on the wall for when they’re booking Dark, because it’s clear it’s not solely to generate content and I’m curious about the the nuts and bolts of how they’re using it internally and what those discussions look like.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Despite my strong "Don't add any more white male singles wrestlers to the roster unless they're insanely special" stance, I really really like Sydal's in-ring based on what I've seen thus far. Wouldn't mind them carving out a lower-card space for him if he's content with it

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I get that they wanted to give the title shot tournament guys who haven’t had a TV singles match in a while a win, but 16 is officially Too Many matches. I tapped out before the double main event and will prob watch those before Dynamite.

I’d love to be a fly on the wall for when they’re booking Dark, because it’s clear it’s not solely to generate content and I’m curious about the the nuts and bolts of how they’re using it internally and what those discussions look like.

JR said they had intentions of running house shows in 2020 before Covid hosed things up so I'd absolutely bet that Dark is taking the place of getting people reps on a smaller stage like house shows would.

Does Wardlow's new finisher have a name?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

With the long Darks I kinda wonder why they don't split into two shows when it goes as long as this week did. It's YouTube, you can do whatever you want.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

With the long Darks I kinda wonder why they don't split into two shows when it goes as long as this week did. It's YouTube, you can do whatever you want.

Along the same vein you can just stop watching when you burn out and resume later.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Lately I feel like I’ve been most engaged with the matches that feature someone not on the roster than Dark matches featuring only signed talent. I think part of that stems from AEW seemingly treating their freelancer bookings as opportunities for those people in a tangible way.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

tao of lmao posted:

Along the same vein you can just stop watching when you burn out and resume later.

But then I can't follow along with all my friends on the Something Awful forums.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I haven’t finished Dark yet, as it was long (but I’m good with this! More wrestling is better!) but I just want to say I’m obsessed with KiLynn King.

She rocks and I assume she’s with AEW for the long haul. I really want to see a live promo from her so she can build even more confidence.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

But then I can't follow along with all my friends on the Something Awful forums.

The horror

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pylons posted:

Does Wardlow's new finisher have a name?

murder

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
One thing I've noticed is that Dark does really really well in terms of content on AEW's youtube channel.

Obviously it doesn't come close to Jon Moxley or Orange Cassidy clips but in terms of videos with hours of wrestling on the youtube channel the recent long episodes of Dark are beating out several of the ppv buy ins and the free part one and two of the first All Out ppv.

They're consistently reaching 300 thousand views, which is very respectable for a B product.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 21, 2020

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I wonder how many people just didn't rewatch that ppv though. I know if I was going to do so I wouldn't do it on YouTube.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

I wonder how many people just didn't rewatch that ppv though. I know if I was going to do so I wouldn't do it on YouTube.

I guess even though most people wouldn't rewatch the ppv on youtube, the fact that ppv level wrestling is being watched in the same numbers as AEW's enhancement wrestling show says something about the strength of Dark's following.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Did Scorpio Sky and Frankie Kazarian both do Sting finishes to end their matches?

edit: Daniels lost to Spears, but he should have won with the Stinger splash.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

fez_machine posted:

One thing I've noticed is that Dark does really really well in terms of content on AEW's youtube channel.

Obviously it doesn't come close to Jon Moxley or Orange Cassidy clips but in terms of videos with hours of wrestling on the youtube channel the recent long episodes of Dark are beating out several of the ppv buy ins and the free part one and two of the first All Out ppv.

They're consistently reaching 300 thousand views, which is very respectable for a B product.

I think Taz and Excalibur deserve a lot of credit for it. Dark's just pleasant to watch. It's low-key, a lot of the matches are squashes, it only has a few storylines ever, but it's nice to listen to Taz and Ex (and sometimes Veda or Starks or whoever) talk about the matches and also talk about nonsense half the time, and see some up and coming talent get some ring time. Even when I'm doing something else and not giving it my full attention, I'll put it on while I am cooking dinner or whatever.

Imagine it with WWE commentary and production. I would never sit through it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I've given up hope on Veda coming back tbh.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mr. Squishy posted:

I've given up hope on Veda coming back tbh.

she's very busy

https://twitter.com/itsvedatime/status/1317606848137252869?s=20

https://twitter.com/itsvedatime/status/1317984994527268864?s=20

https://twitter.com/itsvedatime/status/1318723177867055106?s=20

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The mustard review saga needs to go into the “Veda Scott has a law degree” folder.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Here's a fun game:

using only people who appear on Dark but aren't signed, build a roster. Should include a world champ, TV champ, tag champs, and women's champ, plus contenders for those titles. (I'll say anyone who is regularly appearing on AEW programming as something other than an extra, like Red Velvet, counts as probably signed) My attempt:

World champ: "The Captain" Shawn Dean. Fired up straight-arrow babyface.
Number one contender: Aaron Solow. Cocky, slightly sleazy heel in a Switchblade mold.

TV champ: KTB. Dominant monster heel.
Number one contender: Lee Johnson. White meat babyface with the skills and a lion heart.

Tag champs: Blonde Ambition (Griff Garrison and Brian Pillman Jr). Absolutely classic pretty boy babyfaces in the Rockers mold.
Number one contenders: The Titans (M'Badu and Cezar Bononi). Dominant strong-guy bullies.

Women's champ: "The King" KiLynn King. The high water mark of the division. (yes, I know I'm breaking my "probably signed" rule here)
Number one contender: Kenzie Page. The fresh faced young lion.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

D3 for all belts, imho.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Vince MechMahon posted:

D3 for all belts, imho.

only if he wears his rome hat

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Nick Comoroto already has all the belts

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Reality Protester posted:

Nick Comoroto already has all the belts

and nobody can find him, because nobody who has gone into the mountains looking for him has come back

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
Can you imagine a Comoroto and KTB tag team?!

Great card tonight. We got flyers, we got hosses, and we have the probable death of Fuego del Sol!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

15 matches on tonight's Dark? Get set for another marathon.

Including another Cutler/Avalon clash, which I assume will go to a double knockout.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
I can't wait to see the master of the tornado DDT defeat Brian Cage.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

https://twitter.com/shutupexcalibur/status/1321224907812794368?s=21

Looks like they got the boxer they signed to a developmental deal into the country.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
its dark time my dudes!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Who is that guy

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Looks like they got the boxer they signed to a developmental deal into the country.

Oh

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Oil! posted:

I can't wait to see the master of the tornado DDT defeat Brian Cage.

If Feugo del Sol had Cody in his corner to remind him who he is he would.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Oh poo poo, it's Anthony Ogogo

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Minneapolis represent.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Alright, Top Flight have cool entrance gear.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
:hungiee:'s boys

Stu and Uno.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010
Chanting "You're not Veda" at Anthony Agogo in my living room

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I love the dark order but due to the home town thing I'm legally obligated to root for the jobbers.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Does Anthony Ogogo being here mean that PAC will be at Full Gear?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Vince MechMahon posted:

I love the dark order but due to the home town thing I'm legally obligated to root for the jobbers.

Welcome to every KiLynn King match for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

duckdealer posted:

Does Anthony Ogogo being here mean that PAC will be at Full Gear?

They haven’t opened the border to goblins yet.